Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

beejay posted:

I think I'm maybe really dumb or something. I got a 3570K processor, Hyper 212 evo cooler, and an Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard, thinking I would look up an overclocking guide or something and it would be really simple. And from what I can tell, it is pretty simple... but every guide seems to be written for max speeds at all times. I just want to boost up the "turbo" speed so it runs fast when it needs to, but slow and cool when it can, and meanwhile not kill my chip.

Now, I went into the BIOS just to test around, and I set it to a 40x multiplier on all 4 cores and set the CPU voltage to "offset" mode and set the offset to +0.005 or whatever the smallest is. When I run Prime95, it does boost up to 4ghz and runs at 1.6ghz at idle like I want. It seems to be pulling a core voltage of 1.192 under load and peaks up to 70.0C on core 2 but not any higher. The voltage when idling is right at or under 1.000 V. Is this good? I really don't know. Is that really all I have to do? Can I just turn up the multiplier to 42 now and say I'm done if it continues to run at about that temperature? I know it seems like I haven't read the thread or done any research, but I have, I just have a very poor grasp on this stuff it would seem.

That sounds pretty typical to me, if nothing is breaking or crashing during an extended P95 test then you're good to go. My idle voltage is from 0.88-1.00V doing nothing on the desktop or browsing, etc.

If you increase the multiplier you might want to test it in P95 again though, because it's probably going to need a tiny bump in voltage for that. On my own 3570k I have turbo set for 4.6GHz which requires around 1.28V to remain stable under load, this differs between chips and boards.

An Unoriginal Name fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

So then I would need to increase the offset, correct?

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

beejay posted:

So then I would need to increase the offset, correct?

I took a look at your mobo manual and I can't tell if you have a separate "turbo voltage" like my Asrock board does, which allows me to set a separate offset only when the turbo function is in use (basically anything over 3.4GHz). So yes, in your case you would increase the offset voltage.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Back when I got my i5 I was under the impression clock speed > more cores for gaming, because of information I found about the other cores not being properly utilized by most modern games, so I bought a dual-core instead of a quad-core. Apparently this was not a smart decision.

So, I'm thinking about getting a 3570K. My motherboard supports it, though it required me to update the BIOS. My question is, is using an Ivy Bridge on a Z68 motherboard a wise idea? Will there be much lower performance or anything like that? I'm posting here because I plan to overclock this time around, and there may be something about overclocking with a Z68 on an Ivy Bridge I don't know about.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Should I be concerned about what HWInfo says my VID is? I understand from the OP what VID means but I had been paying more attention to vcore than the VID... and while I like my vcore numbers, the VID is kinda high, and I'm not really sure if I can even do anything about it. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Benjamin Black posted:

So, I'm thinking about getting a 3570K. My motherboard supports it, though it required me to update the BIOS. My question is, is using an Ivy Bridge on a Z68 motherboard a wise idea? Will there be much lower performance or anything like that? I'm posting here because I plan to overclock this time around, and there may be something about overclocking with a Z68 on an Ivy Bridge I don't know about.
As long as you have 1.5V RAM or lower you should be fine with a Z68 board.

beejay posted:

Should I be concerned about what HWInfo says my VID is? I understand from the OP what VID means but I had been paying more attention to vcore than the VID... and while I like my vcore numbers, the VID is kinda high, and I'm not really sure if I can even do anything about it. Sorry if this is a dumb question.
What are you getting for VID/Vcore? Without more information there's no way to know whether it's too high or whatever.
Post a screenshot of HWiNFO with those figures & the min/max/current fields.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Ok here goes - the VID got up to as high as 1.3010 in HWInfo, also the 76.0C is the highest temperature I've seen so far, running IBT at Very High just once so I could get these screenshots. Anything to be worried about here? I still think I possibly need to re-seat my 212.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
1.3V isn't going to cause instant damage, especially not for the brief time a voltage spike will last. I wouldn't give it another thought.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Ok, thank you. Although it seems a little disappointing it needs to be that high for 4.2ghz when I keep hearing people talk about 4.5 and beyond. I have my offset at +0.01 because prime95 and IBT both crashed at +0.005.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that I can overclock it as much as I have, just saying.

beejay fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 16, 2013

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

grumperfish posted:

As long as you have 1.5V RAM or lower you should be fine with a Z68 board.
Uhh, hm. It says 1.5 - 1.6. :confused:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
That will work. You might need to run it closer to 1866mhz or 1600mhz to pin it at 1.5, but it should be fine (also performance won't be affected either way).

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Alright, gonna pull the trigger on getting a 3570K. Now, while there are heatsink recommendations in the OP, they seem to focus on performance/price, but I'm concerned about noise.

Is this still the heatsink to get? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

And is it quiet?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's pretty quiet, yeah.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Good "I don't give a poo poo about money but I like quiet" heatsinks would also be something like a Thermalright Archon or a Noctua DH14. Bigger, slower spinning fans cooling a larger fin array. Set something up like that with a fan profile and you'll never hear it

You'll still hear a 212 when it starts going, though it is by no means bad.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Dogen posted:

Good "I don't give a poo poo about money but I like quiet" heatsinks would also be something like a Thermalright Archon or a Noctua DH14. Bigger, slower spinning fans cooling a larger fin array. Set something up like that with a fan profile and you'll never hear it

You'll still hear a 212 when it starts going, though it is by no means bad.
Alternatively the Macho's still available in an in-between pricepoint: http://www.amazon.com/Macho-HR-02-Support-Socket-Driver/dp/B009MS326U

It won't be a top performer due to the fin density/size (that said it'll get you up to 4.6-4.8ghz just fine), but it has high clearance for RAM and you'll barely need any airflow at all for overclocking because of the wide fin spacing.

edit: Are Noctua parts similar to Thermalright in that you can remount the heatsink without removing the board? Seems like it'd be pretty common nowadays since even the 212+'s allow for it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The newer ones do. I think the older one was more of a pain. Easier than the weird scissor bracket and tightening nut thing that my original Archon uses (I think Thermalright made some improvements for the later revisions)

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Dogen posted:

The newer ones do. I think the older one was more of a pain. Easier than the weird scissor bracket and tightening nut thing that my original Archon uses (I think Thermalright made some improvements for the later revisions)
Post-VenomousX TR switched to a square bracket that mounts to the backplate, and they use a separate linear mount to hold the heatsink down. Most of them (other than the Macho due to cost) have a center cut-out where you can tighten down the bracket to ~70lbs with a long screwdriver. I was thrilled when I switched away from a temporary i3 and realized I hardly had to reset anything on the board. The bracket's still a little hard to get in place due to the size of the cooler though, but it was better than having to remove everything from the case.

edit: It may be the case with Noctua that they released modern mounts that are compatible with their older heatsinks too.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 18, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They did starting with the 2011 compatible ones I think.

My Archon does have the system you describe, I am just not a fan. I think they have changed it up to make it better since then, new revisions of the Archon and some others are out early this year.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
edit: disregard

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 20, 2013

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

edit: I'll edit this since it seems you got it. Hope it works out for you, the 212 is nice.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

beejay posted:

edit: I'll edit this since it seems you got it. Hope it works out for you, the 212 is nice.

Yeah I didn't realize at first that it fits on sideways.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Okay, that had to be the most pain in the rear end cooler installation I've ever seen. Hell on my back, but it's in.

Even with all the screws tightened, you can still get it to rotate slightly from side to side. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about that. Pouring over the instructions, I didn't see any way to get the retention plate to 'lock on' to the cooler and I just assumed it when you tightened the screws over it, you wouldn't be able to move it anymore.

I'm pretty sure I applied the thermal paste correctly, with the tower on its side on a flat surface I just dabbed a bit of thermal paste on top of the processor, about the size of a BB. It got spread around quite a lot though because it was difficult to put that cooler on perfectly straight even as I carefully lowered it.

So, I THINK I'm done, but feel free to tell me if I've done something horribly wrong by mistake. After I reset my BIOS settings I made sure to go to the manual DRAM voltage and change it to 1.5.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
There is nothing wrong with it being able to rotate on the cpu as long as its making good contact. You arn't trying to crush the cpu.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

There is nothing wrong with it being able to rotate on the cpu as long as its making good contact. You arn't trying to crush the cpu.

Just wanted to make sure I installed it correctly is all.

So, before I move forward with any overclocking...

Is there anything off about my system? My BIOS settings were all reset when I put in the new CPU, you see. Pretty much the only thing I changed after the reset was hard drive mode back to AHCI and memory voltage to 1.5.

For some reason the Cores keep constantly jumping back and forth between 1603 Mhz and 3600-3800 Mhz rapidly, not sure if that's normal behavior.

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 21, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
That is exactly normal behavior - Turbo Boost and Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology (EIST, or just Speedstep), to be specific. Over short periods of time and when all cores aren't needed, they'll kick up a limited amount above stock speed to do the work more quickly. In fact, what you'll be doing by overclocking is telling the CPU to Turbo all the time at an outrageous frequency (compared to stock, at least). Clocking down to 1600 MHz is EIST, and it's meant to save power when idle or when loads are very light.

Is that SSD plugged into one of the Intel SATA ports? If it's not, it really should be. Otherwise, looks fine.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Is that SSD plugged into one of the Intel SATA ports? If it's not, it really should be. Otherwise, looks fine.

Intel SATA ports? Not sure what you mean.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Uh... hm. Okay, I just looked up the specs for your board, and how do you have three drives listed at 6 Gbps speed with only two 6 Gbps ports?

Anyway, the SSD should be plugged into one of the white ports.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Uh... hm. Okay, I just looked up the specs for your board, and how do you have three drives listed at 6 Gbps speed with only two 6 Gbps ports?

Anyway, the SSD should be plugged into one of the white ports.

Yeah, it is. And I'm guessing it's listing them at the speed they can run at rather than the speed that they are running at.

I originally had a RAID setup when I put together this computer and I had all sorts of problems with it, lots of weird hangups it was not supposed to have, and I came to realize it was junk compared to what a SSD could offer me. So one of those big 6gbps hard drive is now used for media files now. Music, videos, etc. So no big loss there.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

grumperfish posted:

That will work. You might need to run it closer to 1866mhz or 1600mhz to pin it at 1.5, but it should be fine (also performance won't be affected either way).

I'm curious about this statement. It seems like all I had to do was manually set the voltage to 1.5 in my BIOS. Am I missing something?

Also, curious about the 1866mhz/1600mhz remark. My memory is running at around 800mhz according to the screenshot above. Is it working appropriately?

Sorry for all the questions, but my previous experiences with overclocking have been pretty disastrous.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Benjamin Black posted:

I'm curious about this statement. It seems like all I had to do was manually set the voltage to 1.5 in my BIOS. Am I missing something?

Also, curious about the 1866mhz/1600mhz remark. My memory is running at around 800mhz according to the screenshot above. Is it working appropriately?

Sorry for all the questions, but my previous experiences with overclocking have been pretty disastrous.
You have fast RAM that can run at higher speeds (at 1.65V), but your CPU requires running closer to 1.5V to avoid frying the memory controller.

You've manually set the RAM at 1.5V and 1600mhz effective speed, which is fine. Any performance difference between 1600mhz and higher RAM speeds will be marginal to nonexistent as you're not going to be limited by memory bandwidth.

You don't need to do anything else to the RAM.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

grumperfish posted:

You have fast RAM that can run at higher speeds (at 1.65V), but your CPU requires running closer to 1.5V to avoid frying the memory controller.

You've manually set the RAM at 1.5V and 1600mhz effective speed, which is fine. Any performance difference between 1600mhz and higher RAM speeds will be marginal to nonexistent as you're not going to be limited by memory bandwidth.

You don't need to do anything else to the RAM.

I didn't manually set 1600mhz, I just set the RAM to 1.5V. I'm not sure if that causes the RAM to go to 1600MHz by itself or what.

I assume 1600 is derived from 800 * 2 (the 2 being dual-channel)?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
800 MHz * 2, because DDR literally means double data rate. It transfers data two times per clock cycle. Dual-channel is something else, using two channels of RAM (arranged as pairs of DIMMs) to be accessed at the same time, on top of the 1600 Megatransfers per second of 800 MHz * 2 transfers/clock.

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Im going to delid my 3570k! I've already delidded a few celerons as practice. This should be interesting.

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

amp281 posted:

Im going to delid my 3570k! I've already delidded a few celerons as practice. This should be interesting.

Practice:

topless i5

Result was only about a -5*C reduction at load but my i5 ran cooler than most anyway. It had less factory thermal paste under the lid then most of the pictures I have seen. I replaced it with Coollaboratory Pro.

I clamped the processor in a vice upsidedown by its lid and hit the pcb with a hammer and a block of wood. Removes the lid in under a minute and much less risky then razor blade.

amp281 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 29, 2013

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

amp281 posted:

I clamped the processor in a vice upsidedown by its lid and hit the pcb with a hammer and a block of wood. Removes the lid in under a minute and much less risky then razor blade.

It makes me glad to see someone else finally using that method because it's my preferred way to go and no one believes how fast and reliable it is. The razor blade way just sounds like a nightmare and so many people do it like that.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Okay, so, my 3570K has been going strong for about a week, and now that I know it's working properly, it's time for me to finally start overclocking.

I'm using a Biostar TZ68A+. There were a lot of options in the O.N.E. section of the BIOS which is meant specifically for overclocking, but I didn't want to touch anything without knowing what I was doing. I attempted to Google a TZ68A+ overclocking guide, but it doesn't seem there are any guides for this specific motherboard, which is really annoying.

I did find out, however, that there is overclocking software that Biostar puts out that works with this motherboard called TOVERCLOCKER, and it even has a hardware monitor that shows me the temp. Right now my CPU temp is at 40C. I have no idea if that's good or not.

Here are the controls the program has:

So should I be using this? And if so, what should I be setting everything to? I have a Hyper 212 EVO cooler successfully installed on it for what it's worth, so it's better than stock cooling.

I would like to start with something "safe", something that has a very high chance of being stable. Maybe like 4GHz? Any suggestions?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Benjamin Black posted:

I would like to start with something "safe", something that has a very high chance of being stable. Maybe like 4GHz? Any suggestions?
I would've suggested not buying a Biostar board, but it's too late for that now.

Skip the lovely utility and overclock from BIOS. Don't touch the VCC/SA voltage setting, and raise your DRAM voltage to 1.5v manually. Leave everything else on auto. Set the CPU multiplier to 40 and see how voltages look. Run Intelburntest on maximum and see if it remains stable. Use HWInfo64 for temp/voltage monitoring and make sure per-core temps stay below 70C.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

grumperfish posted:

I would've suggested not buying a Biostar board, but it's too late for that now.
What's wrong with Biostar? The OP doesn't mention anything about Biostar, and I've had good luck with their boards.

grumperfish posted:

Skip the lovely utility and overclock from BIOS. Don't touch the VCC/SA voltage setting, and raise your DRAM voltage to 1.5v manually. Leave everything else on auto. Set the CPU multiplier to 40 and see how voltages look. Run Intelburntest on maximum and see if it remains stable. Use HWInfo64 for temp/voltage monitoring and make sure per-core temps stay below 70C.
DRAM voltage is already changed through the bios, and it is lowered from 1.6 to 1.5. HWInfo64 doesn't show me temperatures, TOVERCLOCKER is the only thing that has successfully shown me CPU temp so far.

This particular board got a pretty good review here: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/biostar_1155_tz68a_review/10

Ok, got the Hwinfo64 temps working.

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 30, 2013

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
I don't have a CPU multiplier setting in my bios. Do you mean the CPU ratio? Because that only goes up to 38 for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yes, that's what we mean. And if it's only going up to 38x, well, something is amiss because that's only the top turbo multiplier. You should be able to turn it much higher.