Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Calax posted:

IMO it'd be a bit creepy to have a parent who's mostly known for one outfit that doesn't hide that much (or if you're in the right position, anything apparently).

As the lady herself said in an interview, "Not only is it revealing, it doesn't go where you go. If you were standing behind me, you could see all the way to Florida."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Poor Anthony Daniels. He was standing behind her the whole time but couldn't appreciate the view.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Poor Anthony Daniels. He was standing behind her the whole time but couldn't appreciate the view.

The man has been awfully tight-lipped about his private life, so I'm not entirely sure if he'd have appreciated the view even if he had seen it.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Even a homosexual man would appreciate that view. Artistically.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

For all the flak it gets, that's one of the reasons I like the NJO. Most of its covers that featured the Big Three aged them appropriately. In the middle of the series, Luke looked like this (warning: kind of huge), which, while not exactly how Hamill looked at the time, at least looked believable for a 45 year old man with an active lifestyle.

And goddamn, I never noticed how impressive Mara's biceps were.

Luke looks like Jeff Fahey in this one.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Dave Syndrome posted:

The man has been awfully tight-lipped about his private life, so I'm not entirely sure if he'd have appreciated the view even if he had seen it.

Considering the rumours of his nasty ego, I have a feeling Anthony Daniels really only loves Anthony Daniels.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Insane Totoro posted:

Even a homosexual man would appreciate that view. Artistically.

I wonder what military strategies Thrawn could come up with after understanding this particular work of art.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

I wonder what military strategies Thrawn could come up with after understanding this particular work of art.

goddamn this post is loving goony as hell

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

You know, I've wondered about how Thrawn, an Imperial officer, got to know so much about art that he can virtually predict peoples' movements after he looked at it. I wonder because the Empire doesn't exactly look like a place where they like art.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I don't think that's completely true. Didn't Imperial Center on Coruscant have a giant art museum that Jaina and Jacen got lost in?

edit; http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Museum

So yeah, it seems like there was a big rear end museum that had the Jedi section closed off.

VaultAggie fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 29, 2013

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

VaultAggie posted:

I don't think that's completely true. Didn't Imperial Center on Coruscant have a giant art museum that Jaina and Jacen got lost in?

I haven't read much EU stuff, I'm mostly having these ideas on the basis that the Empire is modeled after historical fascist regimes. And historical fascist regimes weren't all that keen on art if it didn't support the fascist regime. So the only art I'd expect to see in that museum would be lifelike marble statues of Our Glorious Emperor and pictures where he rides a unicorn to liberate the Republic from the shackles of democracy and stuff like that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I have the same feeling, I expect as long as the art isn't 'gently caress The Empire/Republic was pretty good actually/GO JEDI/ALLIANCE!' it'd get a pass and a distinction if it did the complete opposite of the stuff that wouldn't get through.

Also, Luke is looking very RULE THE JEDI EVERY DAY in that art.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

SeanBeansShako posted:

I have the same feeling, I expect as long as the art isn't 'gently caress The Empire/Republic was pretty good actually/GO JEDI/ALLIANCE!' it'd get a pass and a distinction if it did the complete opposite of the stuff that wouldn't get through.

Also, Luke is looking very RULE THE JEDI EVERY DAY in that art.

Pretty much canon Imperial Censorship here

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

I haven't read much EU stuff, I'm mostly having these ideas on the basis that the Empire is modeled after historical fascist regimes. And historical fascist regimes weren't all that keen on art if it didn't support the fascist regime. So the only art I'd expect to see in that museum would be lifelike marble statues of Our Glorious Emperor and pictures where he rides a unicorn to liberate the Republic from the shackles of democracy and stuff like that.

If my memory of books I read 20 years ago is reliable, Thrawn was written as a cold, calculating leader who had no qualms about ruthlessly prosecuting a war, but not evil for its own sake like the Emperor and Vader. I think he even mentions how he despised how Vader killed people out of anger.

I imagine he would see propaganda as a useful tool, but would personally appreciate art, architecture, etc. as a well-rounded brilliant mind, even if only for its strategic/tactical insights.

I don't recall that they ever discussed much of his "domestic policy" as opposed to his military leadership.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Derek Dominoe posted:

If my memory of books I read 20 years ago is reliable, Thrawn was written as a cold, calculating leader who had no qualms about ruthlessly prosecuting a war, but not evil for its own sake like the Emperor and Vader. I think he even mentions how he despised how Vader killed people out of anger.

Yeah, he was a more pragmatic villain than either of them. There's a pretty well-known scene in either Heir To the Empire or Dark Force Rising where a flaw in the tractor beam on Thrawn's star destroyer allows Luke to escape, and whereas Vader would've killed the officer in charge, Thrawn promoted him for attempting an innovative solution which was a good try even if it didn't work. At the same time, there was another scene in which Thrawn ordered the Noghri to execute an incompetent crewman who failed to show any initiative in similar circumstances and tried to pass the blame for his failure.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Also, remember Thrawn grew up outside the Empire, also. I think in one of the later NJO books they go to a Chiss art museum or library or something like that, where it's mentioned the Chiss have info on every culture in the Unknown Regions they encountered. So Thrawn coming out of that society would make a bit more sense about him liking art.

Also in the early EU when Thrawn was conceived the Empire's military was still more of a sort of Prussian-like military-arisotocratic type of society, so it makes sense high-ranking officers would like to see themselves as cultured and highbrow.

Derek Dominoe posted:

I don't recall that they ever discussed much of his "domestic policy" as opposed to his military leadership.

It's not Thrawn, but I remember one of the Legacy of the Force novels mentioned how Pellaeon never liked how Palpatine's Empire had secret police. Which seems a bit silly to me, but then again I think that was one of Traviss's books so of course it's going to not make much sense.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah, he was a more pragmatic villain than either of them. There's a pretty well-known scene in either Heir To the Empire or Dark Force Rising where a flaw in the tractor beam on Thrawn's star destroyer allows Luke to escape, and whereas Vader would've killed the officer in charge, Thrawn promoted him for attempting an innovative solution which was a good try even if it didn't work. At the same time, there was another scene in which Thrawn ordered the Noghri to execute an incompetent crewman who failed to show any initiative in similar circumstances and tried to pass the blame for his failure.

I think the kill took place in HTTE, and the promotion took place in DFR, for what it's worth. And yeah Zahn played up the contrast between the two, as well as references to all the poo poo Vader pulled in ESB.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Grendels Dad posted:

You have to differ between the official art, where it was usually all about the regime and hating everything deemed sub-human/wrong and what the leaders/upper-crust of the regime privately liked. You had lots of Nazis officially hating all those Jewish "entartete" art, but loving and collecting it privately, a very few even protecting favourite Jewish artists/actors/directors, giving dispersions if necessary. Take old Hitler himself: He loved and collected Disney movies. Goebbels had tons upon tons of Jewish/"entartete" art in his home. So while you have the official museums showing crappy propaganda art you have private collections full of exquisite "forbidden" art.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was a Mara Jade comic story (written by Timothy Zahn for an issue of Star Wars Tales) which suggested that Palpatine had one of the largest private art collections in the galaxy, having confiscated rare specimens from all across his empire.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Looks like Dark Horse is going to do an 8-issue adaptation of "The Star Wars". As in the original ANH draft.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/31/dark-horse-to-adapt-george-lucas-original-concept-the-star-wars-into-comics-wondercon/

I love the concept, but I'm a bit worried that JW Rinzler is doing the writing of it. He's done a ton of behind the scenes stuff, but as far as I know he's never written any fiction before.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

Looks like Dark Horse is going to do an 8-issue adaptation of "The Star Wars". As in the original ANH draft.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/31/dark-horse-to-adapt-george-lucas-original-concept-the-star-wars-into-comics-wondercon/

I love the concept, but I'm a bit worried that JW Rinzler is doing the writing of it. He's done a ton of behind the scenes stuff, but as far as I know he's never written any fiction before.

Are we sure this isn't an April Fool's thing?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A few Dark Horse editors have stated that it's not an April Fool's. I mean, I guess we won't know for sure until tomorrow, but it seems legitimate.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
That sounds pretty rad, to be honest. I dunno, there's something about it that makes it seem real. Like. It's not ridiculous enough to be a joke.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is this the version where Chewbacca is an eight-foot tall oranguntan and Han Solo is the Creature From the Black Lagoon?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Is this the version where Chewbacca is an eight-foot tall oranguntan and Han Solo is the Creature From the Black Lagoon?

Yup, and the version with Annikin Starkiller and where if I recall correctly the Luke-analog character was a woman.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Disney is closing LucasArts :(. This also most likely means that 1313 is completely dead.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No Battlefront 3, that is sad. Or are the properties going to be licensed out?

(I feel bad for those poor employees.)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

astr0man posted:

Disney is closing LucasArts :(

Good riddance.

euphronius posted:

Or are the properties going to be licensed out?
It's Disney. Of course they're going to be licensed out.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Disney statement posted:

After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.
So they are just closing the actual dev studio and publisher I guess, but they will keep licensing stuff. It's possible that this could end up being a good thing for Star Wars video games since the recent stuff put out by LucasArts wasn't very good.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

The trick is, that wasn't Lucasarts. That was an IP licensed out to these guys.

So what I'm saying is, expect more of that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ursine Asylum posted:

The trick is, that wasn't Lucasarts. That was an IP licensed out to these guys.
Lucasarts published it, which they won't even be doing anymore.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

astr0man posted:

Disney is closing LucasArts :(.

Aw man. :(

Okay, so maybe they haven't been so great lately. But back in the golden age of X-Wing and Day of the Tentacle, they were my favorite game company.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
So I'll never get my Empire at War 2? :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

This isn't the end of Star Wars games. It's just the end of the garbage Lucasarts developed and/or published. We still have garbage from other companies who get the Star Wars license to look forward to.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I'm just happy because LA has never seemed to know exactly what they wanted to do. After about 2000-2001 they kept changing their decisions on if they'd develop internally or not. So they wiped out the talent they'd built up, then three years later they decided to restart that but couldn't get a fantastic group but together, and they did this three times.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Give me an HK-47 Hitman knock-off drat it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Metal Loaf posted:

Every time I remember how much the Thrawn trilogy sucked, I read something like this and remember it sucked far, far worse than I remember.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Davros1 posted:

Every time I remember how much the Thrawn trilogy sucked, I read something like this and remember it sucked far, far worse than I remember.

This but the exact opposite.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I like to pretend every time some guy mentions hating the Thrawn Trilogy that he actually means the Jedi Prince books for kids he just vaguely gets confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Or that Galaxy of Fear book he was in.