Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Oh my god, the logo for that FPS has a bullet hole instead of an O...I must give them all my money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Zaphod42 posted:

More CEOs are men than women, but its because more men are willing to put in more hours to make more money and get more promotions, where more women want to go home after the day and spend more time with their families.

No glass ceiling at all, women just keep having babies and aren't willing to work long and hard like men. :rolleyes:

Hooverbagel
Aug 10, 2010

Hooverbagel bytes

Machai posted:

Oh my god, the logo for that FPS has a bullet hole instead of an O...I must give them all my money!

Lonely Virgil posted:

Only you can defeat modern, generic military first person shooters with a snobbishly late 90's, generic military first person shooter. :thumbsup:

It's a foot soldier in the Ouya army... take back TV from them consoles, guys!

Edit: Making obscure joke slightly more sensical.

Hooverbagel has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Mar 29, 2013

Paper Gazelle
Oct 27, 2010
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/collectors/collectors-can-a-comic-book-collection-survive-mar?ref=category
He really doesn't ask for that much, only 1800 dollars. He is trying to fund a printed version of his web comic about some guy who apparently collects comics and how his wife doesn't approve. He will still offer his hilarious comic online, so why should people buy his prints? Well, there will be even MORE comics about how the wife disapproves of the comics!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I realize he's trying to draw a vacuum bag, thanks to the dialogue, but really he's just drawn a cheerful bukkakke scene.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
THIS IS A DERAIL, SKIP IT IF YOU'RE NOT INTERESTED

Mr. Beeblebrox, you have chosen not to receive PMs so I'm continuing a derail and hoping it doesn't cost me :tenbux:

Zaphod42 posted:

More CEOs are men than women, but its because more men are willing to put in more hours to make more money and get more promotions, where more women want to go home after the day and spend more time with their families.

:(

This is, has been, and will continue to be the reason I make about $.80 for every $1.00 my male counterparts make. I do not have children, I will never have children (I'm past that age anyway, thank you), and I work my rear end off. This is a horrible thing to say without immediately following up with a big fat ol' AND JUST WHY IS THAT?

quote:

Just because women don't choose CS doesn't mean they can't.

Actually it does mean they can't. It's a bit of victim-blaming.

A corollary:

Black people from the poor areas of Baltimore can just choose not to be poor anymore! It's their fault most of them remain poor and many choose to enter a life of crime.

This is no choice at all, Holmes.

Check out this study http://www.bridgew.edu/soas/jiws/nov05v2/leaders.pdf and look around page 64. You'll discover the top 3 commonalities among upbringing of women leaders. They are:

Very wealthy
Very influential families
Very educated (which means wealthy too)

If a woman isn't any of those things, she's probably out of the race. I grew up with none of those things, but had no brothers and thus my dad made sure I knew how to use the computer. I'm a rare case. Chances are the women you work with are also rare cases.

Thousands of years of societal pressure forces women into a role, poor black folks into a role, white men into a role, etc. Fighting against that takes a MASSIVE amount of energy, money, time... or self-awareness.

quote:

See, to me that's bullshit. When interviewing people, we absolutely DO look for interest in CS outside of classes, we look for passion, just like you said.

Sure.

Now, the way women and men show that passion is different. Men show it by building things outside of class. Women do not show it that way. They show it (paraphrasing here) by generally being very, very quietly good at it in class. Women do NOT tend to work on CS projects outside of class. If you make that the qualifier for showing passion, you will not hire many women - who are qualified, and who are passionate.

Think about a cultural difference, eh?

From your writing, I'm going to assume you're located in or around Seattle at one of the Big Three. We interview loads of folks from other countries, right? And we have to be very very careful not to judge them with American eyes. "He took a moment to form an answer before he would speak." "She had downcast eyes for much of the interview." "He refused to shake hands with me because his religion forbade him touching the opposite sex!"

Now, really consider this: How is that judging (which is ethnocentric and wrong and actually against the law) different from measuring, with your male American eyes, passion in only one way? I've seen passionate-about-CS folks from India, Pakistan, French Canada, China, Japan, Australia, Finland, etc, etc (this is what I get for having done 800 tech interviews at my company :)). And... each of them showed passion in a different way! i.e. Indian folks don't tend to jump around a room and speak excitedly. Asians may tend to blow you away with their after-class projects.

It's... it's the same thing, brother.

quote:

Look at what you said! Women don't think about CS outside of school, but... they do think about what they can DO with CS? That counts! If you go home and write up some software to manage your grocery list; How does that not show passion!? That is precisely what we are looking for! You don't have to sit at home reading CS textbooks, nobody does that. You come up with your own projects. That's a perfect example. So I don't know what the hell you mean to say women don't show interest outside of class, except when they do. That's a contradiction. If a girl writes her own game or a way to help sick people, that's an amazing resume.

they don't actually build it

quote:

Those who don't show any interest outside of class and are just passing through a CS degree, male or female, are ignored. Those who show passion are hired. Gender isn't really an issue, other than as part of a larger cultural drive for women to settle down and men to be breadwinners, and sure that isn't ideal, but that has almost nothing to do with CS.

Good lord, man. Microsoft, Google, or Amazon? Just curious.

There are a thousand thousand factors that go into what women "choose" to do, same as men. Check out Linda Hirschman's book about women and working: http://www.amazon.com/Get-Work-Life-Before-Late/dp/014303894X. That large cultural drive that you mention? Yeah, that's the factor. And CS (and the dwindling numbers of women in tech) is a huge loving canary that tells us we haven't really come that far.

When you decide to measure passion in only one way, you are doing your company and that candidate a disservice.

quote:

Again, my boss, and my boss' boss are female, and we just hired a new female engineer because she demonstrated proficiency in development versus the guys we interviewed that all seemed clueless, even though they have degrees. Interviewing for programming jobs is nearly impossible, you get tons of applicants who have no clue. We hire whoever can pass the tests.

Yeah, I know that song :). I've been heavily involved in recruiting technical folks for... well, a lot of years (I'm old, so sue me). I know it's hard. It's really hard.

But think about trying to see passion-for-CS in a slightly different way.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
While I think "if you don't want to dedicate your whole life to CS then :frogout:" is a stupid attitude to have, saying "they show their passion by being good at it in class even if they don't do anything extracurricular" sounds off to me as well. If you have two candidates who both do comparably well in class, but one also does extra CS stuff on her own initiative, why wouldn't you pick that candidate? I just don't see how you can say that "doing what's required of you well and no more" demonstrates passion. I did well in plenty of classes that I had zero passion for just because I wanted the grade.

quote:

How is that judging (which is ethnocentric and wrong and actually against the law)
Wait, what?

Cicero has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Mar 28, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Hyzenth1ay, it seems like the crux of your argument is that while men show their passion by doing extracurricular work, women show it by doing the required work with passion. Sorry, but that sounds like a load of crap. Yes, people show their passion in different ways, which is why you have a huge variety of different types of personal projects that passionate people work on. But going to class and doing your homework very well does not require passion, at all. When people are passionate about something, they want to spend more time doing it, I simply cannot think of a case where this isn't true. And I'm sure there's plenty of women out there who are passionate about these things who would find it insulting that you'd suggest they have a 'different way' of showing passion.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Paper Gazelle posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/collectors/collectors-can-a-comic-book-collection-survive-mar?ref=category
He really doesn't ask for that much, only 1800 dollars. He is trying to fund a printed version of his web comic about some guy who apparently collects comics and how his wife doesn't approve. He will still offer his hilarious comic online, so why should people buy his prints? Well, there will be even MORE comics about how the wife disapproves of the comics!

Good God that's a terrible drawing. AND he made it the cover of the first issue.

I also love this line: "Also, everyone knows that the first issue of any comic series will be worth millions in the future!" Well, you sold me, Eddie.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
What? That's loving stupid Orzo. Some people show passion by working on one thing very hard, some people show passion by working on multiple projects, and societal pressures tend to(a phrase Hyzenth highlighted multiple times) pressure women and men into showing their passion in different ways. I'm a dude, and currently a history student and not comp sci, but I show my passion by looking very hard into specific things. For instance last semester I did a research paper on the integration of Muslims and Islam into Chinese society up through the Ming dynasty. I spent as much, if not more time researching it than people with much broader topics, but just because I only focused on that one specific topic doesn't mean I was less passionate. You seem to look at the breadth of someones work as the only way to judge someone's passion, but depth is also a valid way. Speaking in more CSish terms, is someone who who writes one extremely optimized, thoroughly documented, well tested program less passionate than someone who writes three technically working but hacked together programs? Of course not.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

What? That's loving stupid Orzo. Some people show passion by working on one thing very hard, some people show passion by working on multiple projects, and societal pressures tend to(a phrase Hyzenth highlighted multiple times) pressure women and men into showing their passion in different ways. I'm a dude, and currently a history student and not comp sci, but I show my passion by looking very hard into specific things. For instance last semester I did a research paper on the integration of Muslims and Islam into Chinese society up through the Ming dynasty. I spent as much, if not more time researching it than people with much broader topics, but just because I only focused on that one specific topic doesn't mean I was less passionate. You seem to look at the breadth of someones work as the only way to judge someone's passion, but depth is also a valid way. Speaking in more CSish terms, is someone who who writes one extremely optimized, thoroughly documented, well tested program less passionate than someone who writes three technically working but hacked together programs? Of course not.

He's saying that if you really love doing programming or painting or whatever, you will be doing your own projects in your spare time in addition to the work you're set for class or your job. It's not about bredth, it's about the desire to work on personal projects outside of the allotted time from work or school or whatever. Taking art/animation as an example, when show creators do doodles and sketches and stuff from their show in their spare time I think it does demonstrate a greater "passion" for the project than in people for whom it's just a day job, even if they do that day job really well.

HOWEVER, "passion" ain't everything! If you do your computer programming job really well and then go home and work on model airplanes or whatever, you're still a drat good employee, and in fact I might be more likely to hire you because I know all your programming headspace is being used thinking about MY projects not yours. And as you say some people show a different kind of dedication by doing what they are set way better than is strictly necessary and spending much longer on it than they have to.

Paper Gazelle
Oct 27, 2010

Rime posted:

I realize he's trying to draw a vacuum bag, thanks to the dialogue, but really he's just drawn a cheerful bukkakke scene.

It's a vacuum bag? I thought it was some kind of batter, so the dialogue didn't make any sense to me.

As a woman studying CS I've found that people didn't and still don't expect me be studying CS. People thought I'd go on to studying English or any arts related field. But my dad always wanted me to go into the sciences, 'cause he is an engineer and he wanted me and my little brother to study something worthwhile. So he bought us lego mindstorms and told me about how CS would be a good idea. We started out three girls my year, out of about 60. I'm the last one now and I think we're about 30 left.

I don't speak for anyone but me. But I don't want to nurture people. I had the grades to become a doctor, but I would've made one of those lovely doctors who lack people skills. And I don't want to be a doctor. I want to learn how to make games, apps and other stuff because I find it awesome. I read news on tablets and computers, not because I want them, but because they're awesome, and I could waste a whole day reading about specs and comparing them. And I write lovely little programs because I want to be able to go beyond what little programming we were taught in actual courses. I also know that different universities have different ideas of how much programming should be taught. Some weigh heavily on the practical aspects of CS, others are more theoretical.

If I should give any reason for me to have been deterred from choosing CS, it would be expectations. Had my father not pushed for me to go into CS, I would probably have gone for animator or architect, because that is what others expected of me.

Now, let's look at this guy:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1585021231/project-1-your-portrait-painted-in-a-simple-and-na?ref=recently_launched

I looked at his website, and I actually like his paintings. I don't understand why he wants to paint like a child on purpose.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Paper Gazelle posted:

Now, let's look at this guy:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1585021231/project-1-your-portrait-painted-in-a-simple-and-na?ref=recently_launched

I looked at his website, and I actually like his paintings. I don't understand why he wants to paint like a child on purpose.

I don't care about what style he chooses to work in, but this is a perfect example of kickstarter-as-store. His goal is £12.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I'm with Paper Gazelle on that one; though I am fairly charismatic, I really like CS and I got into computers at a young age... and while I'm early in my school's CS program, I've already written a number of programs and applications (especially games) with knowledge I consumed before I got to college. There's no way I can just do my schoolwork, I want to know more, so I'm always thinking about it and researching whenever possible.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand... batshit insanity for only 70k!

I find it most hilarious that no pledges have been made. Usually people full of shite conspiracy theories and UFO horseshit attracts a crowd of (surprisingly well-off) like-minded people. But this chap? Nope...

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Uh, this doesn't make any sense because my post had absolutely nothing to do with depth vs breadth and I have no idea where you got that from. So instead of saying it's 'loving stupid' you might want to actually read what I wrote, which concerned the amount of extracurricular work done, but not necessarily the nature of that work. Basically what Fatkraken said below you.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Hey guys, speaking of passion...

Sure isn't a lot of it here! :cawg:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yeah I think this gender discussion belongs elsewhere.

Back to terrible KS. Gonna steal some from YKS

Hungrometer, now if only there were an app for that
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/584273481/hungrometer-because-the-body-knows?ref=category

The ultimate in cookie dunking technology. Because there has to be a better way!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1080427607/the-ultimate-in-cookie-dunking-techonlogy

iPhone projector. As YKS notes, it looks like a maglite head photoshopped onto an iPhone. The fact that it failed is proof that there is still hope in mankind's cynicism
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1747147409/projektor-make-your-mobile-devices-larger-than-lif

Fund my lifePorche roadtrip documentary. Pledge $10000 and I will let you give me road head
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1030276638/911-cross-country-road-trip

Machai posted:

Stretch goals: if we get more money we will get them actual textures! OORAH OUYA

Rime posted:

This is too painful for words

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

The ultimate in cookie dunking technology is still those idiotic-but-yummy oreo cookie straws (Well I thought it was a good idea :shrug:).

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010
I just drop my oreos in the milk at once, mix them up and drink the whole thing. Tastes good man.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I used to drop them in the milk and hold then down until, like a drowning, the bubbles stopped coming up (or slowed to one or two every few second). Then I'd eat the soggy cookie with its firm filling while bits of the cookie remained, slowly turning the milk chocolaty.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I need my oreos soaked but solid, so I just use a fork and skewer the frosting

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
I'm into extreme dunking: I put my Oreos and milk in a blender and then use a beer bong to funnel the mixture straight into my rectum. The oreogasm is incredible. The creamy filling of the cookie works perfectly as a creamy filling of my own. You guys should try it. It's the fastest way to get those Oreo molecules into your blood stream. Sometimes, I use double-stuffs and chocolate milk so it's dark and twice as thick. Oh yeah.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Noni posted:

I'm into extreme dunking: I put my Oreos and milk in a blender and then use a beer bong to funnel the mixture straight into my rectum. The oreogasm is incredible. The creamy filling of the cookie works perfectly as a creamy filling of my own. You guys should try it. It's the fastest way to get those Oreo molecules into your blood stream. Sometimes, I use double-stuffs and chocolate milk so it's dark and twice as thick. Oh yeah.

is this as dangerous as buttchugging booze where the alcohol (sugar) cant get processed by your organs normally?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If you've never vaporized powdered oreo and evaporated milk straight to the dome, you've never truly lived.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Don't they have an oreo version of those wonderful milk and cereal bars? The only time I ever enjoyed cheerios™, honestly...

At any rate...

quote:

That's a little painful to watch... she seems to be talking about Naruto more than anything else, really. They both sound so bored.

VVVV Well, in the end, it's a kid being a kid. Her mom shouldn't have been pushing all the game stuff on her in order to sell her kickstarter... kids that age and with that level of intelligence and privilege are typically surprisingly independent, and don't start playing into bullshit until they're much older... out of necessity, probably.

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 14:00 on Mar 29, 2013

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Yeah, that kid has no interest in making a game, she just wants to watch Naruto and the rest is her mother trying to force it along.

At the end, she tries to get her to say anything at all about this game and the daughter just straight up says "no."

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

Ville Valo posted:

No glass ceiling at all, women just keep having babies and aren't willing to work long and hard like men. :rolleyes:

In general, compared to men, women tend to not advocate for themselves as much as they ought to. Here, watch this. It's pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18uDutylDa4

Anyway, this thread used to be fun. Now it's just turned into a bunch of goons frothing at the mouth in their nerd-rage frenzy. Ok, maybe the woman is a scam artist, maybe she is just stupid and misguided. I don't know. Much of the evidence against her is assumptions about things people don't understand. I personally think she is just naive and went about this in a silly, incomprehensible way. Less "Nigerian prince" and more "how do I internet." Yeah, it's retarded and she really should know better than to do just about every possible thing to make yourself unlike-able on the internet.

As far as the Kinko's thing goes, she wasn't squatting a domain. If you think that anybody - nevermind Kinko's - will pay $100 million for a domain name, you're a dumbass. And a $100 million acquisition doesn't mean that she personally got a check for $100 million. Again, if you believe that you're an idiot. WHO KNOWS what she got. Presumably a decent amount, but without knowing literally ANYTHING about the acquisition or her particular equity stake, it's impossible to say. And yes, many entrepreneurs do re-invest most of their money into future ventures. Did she? How much money does she have? Nobody knows. Presumably enough to send her kid to an $800 camp, as she has admitted, but the point of the KS wasn't really "Help lift me out of poverty." So it doesn't really matter. All of you thinking she's mega rich because she's an :siren: entrepreneur :siren: are ridiculous.

More to the point, KS should maybe have taken this down as it does skirt their rules. They didn't. Tough poo poo. Whoever was complaining about his yearly salary being half of what she raised, boo loving hoo. Unless she is personally taking money from you then it really doesn't matter. Do something about it instead of researching how to be pissed off at some woman on the internet. I'd understand the rage to a degree if it was OBVIOUSLY a scam, but that's not really clear (yet, anyway). It's just retarded.

And even if enough people want to fund this project (I'd guess most of them are middle-aged parents who are equally ignorant about games and internets anway) then WHO GIVES A poo poo? Nobody is forcing anybody to pay money. None of it affects YOU. And whining about how "OH, this looks to be the end of Kickstarter" is retarded beyond belief. No, it's not, because the amount of rage spittle flying around here is somewhere around the 99.9th percentile of everyone who has heard of Kickstarter. If KS goes out of business within 4 years I'll buy 10 people avatars. Hey look, someone is selling a stupid, lovely, cheap product in Publix. Oh! This looks like the beginning of the end for old Publix! Give me a loving break.

I don't even give a poo poo about this woman or her retarded project. Somehow your ridiculous nerd rage is actually more annoying. Instead of this circle-jerk about how - thanks to old Susan - your life is now meaningless and food turns to ash in your mouth and your boss just lowered your salary and furthermore,

How about posting some more stupid projects? Like this silly poo poo: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1110640436/iworm-posture-perfect-ipad-use?ref=category

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can we start a Kickstarter for forum functionality that'll automatically probate anyone who keeps bringing up sexism in games and kickstarter threads without contributing to the DnD topics about it.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
Forgive me Lord, for I have pledged a dollar to take a look at the backer reactions to the Update video.

Huey posted:

Great to see what she is inspired by! I'm sure she will warm up in no time. No reason to dwell on the negativity, move forward and do the best to ensure she has a cool experience. I hope she can channel her creativity to figure out how she can make something kids her age will enjoy

Dewey posted:

It was fantastic seeing what Kenzie likes and what she wants to create but I have to second the suggestion to take the video down since someone has already posted the link to it in the main comments.
The trolls are still out there, and have imagined up something more to get riled up about. Do what you need to in order to protect Kenzie. When the kickstart is over you a secure site can be set up where you can safely post video's to her supporters.

Louie posted:

It fills me with such joy that you guys are trucking through all the negativity. Don"t let the haters bring you down. Keep a hold on those happy thoughts. You're doin' it kiddo. You're doin' great.

And this is easily the best, encapsulating the whole affair pretty well:

Pluto posted:

The video was pulled before I saw it, but I wanted to add another voice of encouragement. Kenzie's attitude rocks! I'm looking forward to seeing what this project will become.

:suicide:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Here's my 6 paragraph treatise on sexism in video games and poo poo.

Now I'm going to chastise all of you for contributing to the derail with your long-winded bullshit and say we need to get back to the topic at hand.

Let's see what we've got regionally in San Diego, land of privileged-as-hell white kids, hard-working Hispanic kids, and a bunch of transplants from every place else on Earth.

Well first let's go one state over and check out this successfully funded project:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/annafischer/the-wild-places?ref=home_popular

Hey everybody, pay me to take pictures of cosplayers IN THE WOODS. It has reached 5x its needed funding of course, but I'm on board, professional photographers make poo poo cash, so exploiting nerds is awesome by me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/allpartysystem/all-party-system-movie-the-company-picnic?ref=home_location

Raise funds for a ... a picnic I think? Is this a movie? What the hell is going on? I always find it endearing that these project makers just assume everyone knows the ins and outs of their pet project and go on explaining like we've all read the dust jacket.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806416662/thats-a-paddlin-an-adventure-down-the-mississippi-0?ref=home_location

10,000 dollars to canoe down the Mississippi River, eh? I'm sure you've thought this through! And a Simpsons reference? Count me in!

And a bit of a pallete cleanser maybe, a group of people attempting to marry Metal and Bluegrass:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1053861957/blood-and-banjos-a-story-album-told-with-bluegrass?ref=home_location

I appreciate the whole wanting to go new places with music thing, but there's definitely some lovely stuff in the sampler video too.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1659448460/mindshift-multiplayer-first-person-shooter-directx

Only $1000000 for a first-person shooter featuring content to be decided by backers, 4 pieces of identical concept art, and most uniquely for an FPS: physics! They're even planning on porting to the next PlayStation and Xbox.

Risks and challenges posted:

Some of the challenges we will have is to take on the game development kit. We may use one of the following game development kits, Unreal Engine 3, CryEngine 3, or Unity3D. We will also be taking on Autodesk 3DS MAX, & sound editing programs. Learning these interfaces and what they can bring to the table can take extensive time, tons of tutorials, books, and classwork. Through research and studying, we can achieve it. Another challenge we face is finding the right people for the team. We will have to go through about 100 resumes to find the right people for the team.

Syllogism
Jun 7, 2001

We have listened. We are unmoved. The cleansing will proceed.
Judging by the video and his kickstarter profile he is uniquely qualified for this kind of project

batphantom
Mar 24, 2001

Antitonic posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1659448460/mindshift-multiplayer-first-person-shooter-directx

Only $1000000 for a first-person shooter featuring content to be decided by backers, 4 pieces of identical concept art, and most uniquely for an FPS: physics! They're even planning on porting to the next PlayStation and Xbox.

Dear god in heaven, who told him this was a good idea? Is he living in a world where video game development has dried up? Where no one is making games anymore? Or maybe everyone just makes Angry Bird knockoffs? KS is really a huge enabler for Sperglords who believe they're the only ones capable of saving video games, or anime or whatever. What's really sad is that his "site" keeps using the term "We" when the only person mentioned is the glorious leader himself. I really think these people eventually kill themselves when their projects tank, or they go deeper into their illness, convinced that The Powers That Be stopped their campaign from being successful.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

miguelito posted:

And this is easily the best, encapsulating the whole affair pretty well:

:suicide:

I think it's good people this stupid get their money taken away from them, but I'd rather it go to someone more deserving.

Paper Gazelle
Oct 27, 2010

Antitonic posted:

Those rocks on the last image look moldy

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Antitonic posted:

Incredible. Most people say they are "ideas men" but this guy is crowdsourcing that too. This must be some kind of kickstarter benchmark.

What I want to know is, will they be making this for the Ouya. These are the important questions.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Looks like they collected a bunch of spooge.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Antitonic posted:

I thought you'd maxed the saturation on the screenshot to make fun of how gray it was. But apparently it is Concept Art.

Depressing Drawers
Dec 17, 2004
UR ALREADY DED
Ever wanted a longcat.......IN 3D????

quote:

Long cat 3D. A game built for the meme community... inspired by teh internetz.

The wish for the game to encapsulate all sorts of users cartoon art and memes where I can and I encourage incorporating fantastic digital music from various artists who promote the free and open use of their music.

The game is to be used to encapsulate the feelings that memes create, the happiness and joy that the open internet provides for the hundreds and thousands of us who love looking at pictures of cute cats and motivators.

http://kck.st/15RWWG8
http://www.longcatgame.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That cat is so long the £100 award tier starts to repeat itself.

quote:

Pledge £100 or more

- You will be emailed about features and the release date before others! - You will be added somewhere in the credits of the game as someone who made the final release possible. - - I wish to be able to finish building the game in unity3D professional. - You will be emailed about features and the release date before others! - You will be added somewhere in the credits of the game as someone who made the final release possible. - I will write you a special letter and sent it to you to say thankyou... including a cat picture... :3

Estimated delivery: May 2013