Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Tonight we saw the rarest of beasts: a player lead entering Final Jeopardy, get it right, and still lose. If she'd thought about her bet for even a minute she'd have won. How do you get to the show and screw that up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Oh man, these people are so bad tonight.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

zakharov posted:

Tonight we saw the rarest of beasts: a player lead entering Final Jeopardy, get it right, and still lose. If she'd thought about her bet for even a minute she'd have won. How do you get to the show and screw that up?

She probably assumed she was going to miss the question and was banking on everyone else missing it too.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

escape artist posted:

She probably assumed she was going to miss the question and was banking on everyone else missing it too.

When you're in the lead, you bet as if you will know the answer. Better to lose because you don't know than to get it right and lose because of betting.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

zakharov posted:

When you're in the lead, you bet as if you will know the answer. Better to lose because you don't know than to get it right and lose because of betting.

Yeah I agree. There's a good chance she could have wagered enough where she would have won if everyone got it right, or if everyone had gotten it wrong.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm so glad Lauren won yesterday, and I hope she wins a lot more. :allears:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
So Jimmy from the clue crew is a pretty cool dude, he dropped in on the auditions in Tampa today. He's far shorter than I thought he'd be.

In other news, if Alex really is retiring and does so before I can get on the show, I will cut a bitch.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

BaronVonVaderham posted:

In other news, if Alex really is retiring and does so before I can get on the show, I will cut a bitch.

From what I read, his contract is still through 2016. So you've got time.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

uublog posted:

From what I read, his contract is still through 2016. So you've got time.

You seem to be correct, this is a relief.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm so glad Lauren won yesterday, and I hope she wins a lot more. :allears:

Everyone should have a cute Jeopardy girl of their own.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Punch Card posted:

Everyone should have a cute Jeopardy girl of their own.

:colbert: Show off!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
How could she miss that USS Constitution question!? What the gently caress other frigate can most people even name!?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Pittsburgh Daily Double in the house! I'll "Detroit" you, lady! :argh:

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm pretty sure Jennings said he would love to, but hadn't been asked.

Just confirming:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/14gkj7/i_am_jeopardys_ken_jennings_my_new_book_because_i/

He's also been posting a bunch of stuff on Twitter about wanting the job.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Scrambled Fish is the stupidest and easiest category of all time.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Scrambled Fish is the stupidest and easiest category of all time.

I didn't get mackerel :(

I kept track for idle fun, and counting daily doubles as the value of the space and taking away cash when I was wrong, I would have been at $27,400 by FJ.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I didn't get mackerel :(

I kept track for idle fun, and counting daily doubles as the value of the space and taking away cash when I was wrong, I would have been at $27,400 by FJ.

Was it just me or was final jeopardy REALLY easy today? I mean, admittedly I guessed International Space Station for a split second before switching to MIR. Even so, ISS was a very dumb guess.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Was it just me or was final jeopardy REALLY easy today? I mean, admittedly I guessed International Space Station for a split second before switching to MIR. Even so, ISS was a very dumb guess.

It was pretty easy - I wavered between MIR and Skylab for about 10 seconds before settling on MIR.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Seemed dumb to me, the answer was essentially name the 90's space station and the ISS only started being built in 1998

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Besides that, they emphasized it being the 7th and final "American" onboard, so it could only have been a foreign station.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

How the gently caress do three Jeopardy! contestants not know Cosette is Jean Valjean's adopted daughter? I am actually going to kill them.

e: Thank God none of them missed Final Jeopardy! because I was going to explode.

Glenn_Beckett fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 28, 2013

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Glenn_Beckett posted:

How the gently caress do three Jeopardy! contestants not know Cosette is Jean Valjean's adopted daughter? I am actually going to kill them.

e: Thank God none of them missed Final Jeopardy! because I was going to explode.

I'm just glad the douchey EPA inspector from Ghostbusters didn't win. I hate him so much for some reason I don't know.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

funktopus posted:

I'm just glad the douchey EPA inspector from Ghostbusters didn't win. I hate him so much for some reason I don't know.

Should have called him "dickless."

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Who won a batting title this last season was the hardest question in a category. Jeopardy sports make me so angry.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

jscolon2.0 posted:

Who won a batting title this last season was the hardest question in a category. Jeopardy sports make me so angry.

To be fair, I keep up with baseball and I almost said "Prince Fielder" when I saw the Tigers. Then I was like, "Oh yeah, probably the triple crown winner on that team, instead."

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I hate baseball, I didn't get a single one of those questions.

NBA categories, on the other hand, I will clean up on...

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

jscolon2.0 posted:

He won the Triple Crown for the first time since the 60's, it was kind of a big deal

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

He won the Triple Crown for the first time since the 60's, it was kind of a big deal

I'm not sure you get why this irritates me. It's way too easy to be the hardest question in a category.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I love sports questions as it gives *one* category to sweep pretty reliably, so obviously that seemed way too easy to me as well. It specifically mentioned the Tigers right? Yeah sports categories are the only ones I can think of off-hand where Jeopardy! totally plays down to people who don't know much, if anything, about them.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

uublog posted:

I love sports questions as it gives *one* category to sweep pretty reliably, so obviously that seemed way too easy to me as well. It specifically mentioned the Tigers right? Yeah sports categories are the only ones I can think of off-hand where Jeopardy! totally plays down to people who don't know much, if anything, about them.

Well, there are probably other ones, you're just not aware of them. Like Opera categories. Most people who know Opera seem to clean up in those categories, but if I get one out of the five questions correct, I feel accomplished.

That baseball category, I didn't know anything about... Though, even in basketball there have been some tough questions, or at least, "curveball" type questions.

Example: When this Laker debuted, he became the youngest player to ever play in an NBA game.

Most people would guess: Kobe Bryant; he did come out of high school and he's broke many "youngest player" records.

The actual answer: Andrew Bynum, a name that you only know if follow basketball regularly.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

escape artist posted:

Well, there are probably other ones, you're just not aware of them. Like Opera categories. Most people who know Opera seem to clean up in those categories, but if I get one out of the five questions correct, I feel accomplished.

That baseball category, I didn't know anything about... Though, even in basketball there have been some tough questions, or at least, "curveball" type questions.

Example: When this Laker debuted, he became the youngest player to ever play in an NBA game.

Most people would guess: Kobe Bryant; he did come out of high school and he's broke many "youngest player" records.

The actual answer: Andrew Bynum, a name that you only know if follow basketball regularly.

Fair point, anything opera goes so far over my head I just assume they're of a high difficulty. BTW, you have no idea how sad that that Bynum question makes me. I think his knees have literally deteriorated into a mush of rubber held together by glue and scotch taped to the rest of his legs.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

uublog posted:

Fair point, anything opera goes so far over my head I just assume they're of a high difficulty. BTW, you have no idea how sad that that Bynum question makes me. I think his knees have literally deteriorated into a mush of rubber held together by glue and scotch taped to the rest of his legs.

Philly is one of my tertiary teams, and I also hate Dwight Howard, so I agree... Bynum's recent misfortunes are tragic. If only his knees could be like his hair.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

They had a question about Mellon Arena being the home of the Pittsburgh Penguins like a year after the place closed down (even accounting for tape-to-air)

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

escape artist posted:

Philly is one of my tertiary teams, and I also hate Dwight Howard, so I agree... Bynum's recent misfortunes are tragic. If only his knees could be like his hair.

Beautiful and majestic and designed differently every day? I agree! For the record, I honestly did not know he became the youngest, either.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

uublog posted:

Beautiful and majestic and designed differently every day? I agree!
Absolutely.

And consistently effective!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Math is another category that tends to get a bit dumbed-down... but considering how much of it *I've* forgotten even after majoring in it, it doesn't really bother me.

Actually, I take that back math isn't really dumbed-down all that much, it's just so drat rare compared to pretty much every other regular category. In high school quiz bowl competitions every other question is math because 90% of the players are huge nerds taking calc or pre-calc.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I like when the question is an actual math problem and people buzz in before knowing the answer

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

I like when the question is an actual math problem and people buzz in before knowing the answer

I would do the same thing. Also there was I think a physics professor last year who had a commanding lead in Double Jeopardy and hit a Daily Double in a math category and risked it all and of course got it correct. I think he had like $15000 and the next closest was at like $6000.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

ElwoodCuse posted:

They had a question about Mellon Arena being the home of the Pittsburgh Penguins like a year after the place closed down (even accounting for tape-to-air)

That bothered me as well, you would think they would research the categories they write before taping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Island Nation posted:

That bothered me as well, you would think they would research the categories they write before taping.

Paging Sarah's boyfriend to the thread to tell us when her episodes were taped.