Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wanna see the Enterprise circle-strafe a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Heh. This is a pretty great commercial for the upcoming tie-in game.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

They're just trashing the Enterprise so they can rebuild it to look like the real Enterprise.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FrensaGeran posted:

If the Enterprise warps out of the atmosphere to save itself the internet might melt from all the rage. Going to warp in a solar system is one thing, but inside an atmosphere JUS' CANNUH BE DONE CAPTAIN.
Except when it can (ST4).

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
Honestly, is there a big, important reason why a ship cannot jump to warp from an atmosphere? I mean without a paragraph about sci fi magic technobabble that the average movie goer won't give a poo poo about.

In other words: who cares?

Edit: and even if they can't (explained via a throwaway line or two) Scotty can make anything happen anyway. :)

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rocket Ace posted:

Honestly, is there a big, important reason why a ship cannot jump to warp from an atmosphere?
I assume the reason would be someone said they can't in some episode or other.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Cingulate posted:

Warping in a solar system is said to be generically dangerous in TMP, though they never really say why and its only ever mentioned when it adds tension anyway. Mind, this is when half impulse could get you past Jupiter in a minute or so.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mr. stefan posted:

Warping in a solar system is said to be generically dangerous in TMP, though they never really say why and its only ever mentioned when it adds tension anyway. Mind, this is when half impulse could get you past Jupiter in a minute or so.

Well, that went out the window with the big warp scene to Vulcan in the last movie anyway.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

The same way FTL can be dangerous - woops, you warped/jumped the ship right into a planet/star, congratulations!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
If Adama can jump in-atmo, why the gently caress can't Kirk?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Then, conveniently forgot all about it when that whale movie came along.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Madurai posted:

Then, conveniently forgot all about it when that whale movie came along.

Consistency has never been one of Star Trek's strong points.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
You're telling me that these new versions of the characters are supposed to be "more extreme" and "not your Daddy's Star Trek" but Kirk won't even roll a hard six? If he want's to warp in atmosphere, then he'll loving warp in atmosphere.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Pops Mgee posted:

You're telling me that these new versions of the characters are supposed to be "more extreme" and "not your Daddy's Star Trek" but Kirk won't even roll a hard six? If he want's to warp in atmosphere, then he'll loving warp in atmosphere.

They're not more extreme, Kirk only slept with one alien chick in the whole movie.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

One that we saw. We missed out on a significant period of time in which, rest assured, he recreated the entire plot of Van Wilder.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Never mind warping in the atmosphere, how are you able to go to warp without a warp core?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

NarkyBark posted:

Never mind warping in the atmosphere, how are you able to go to warp without a warp core?

Use a Romulan singularity engine :colbert:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Or a graviton catapult or collide a Bajoran lightship with tachyon particles. Duh.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Crackbone posted:

They're not more extreme, Kirk only slept with one alien chick in the whole movie.

I'm pretty sure that Spock and McCoy both get more chicks than Kirk does in all of TOS.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

1st AD posted:

I'm pretty sure that Spock and McCoy both get more chicks than Kirk does in all of TOS.

In the episode Shore Leave Bones bangs three chicks

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus
Another "Ongoing" comic and another mention of "Commander" Marcus.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Rocket Ace posted:

Honestly, is there a big, important reason why a ship cannot jump to warp from an atmosphere? I mean without a paragraph about sci fi magic technobabble that the average movie goer won't give a poo poo about.

Imagine a sonic boom but literally a million times more destructive?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

They're just trashing the Enterprise so they can rebuild it to look like the real Enterprise.

A new Enterprise every movie!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

qntm posted:

Imagine a sonic boom but literally a million times more destructive?

Not to mention the radiation given off by the red/blue shifting of particles as the ship warps out, irradiating an entire hemisphere. Or the likelihood of the atmosphere basically combusting...

Warping in atmo = crossing the streams.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Error 404 posted:

Not to mention the radiation given off by the red/blue shifting of particles as the ship warps out, irradiating an entire hemisphere. Or the likelihood of the atmosphere basically combusting...

Warping in atmo = crossing the streams.

Does jumping into slipspace count as rapid acceleration to ludicrous speed or warping to light speed?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Isn't warping literally bending space itself too? I'd imagine that wouldn't be good for a planet.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kazy posted:

Isn't warping literally bending space itself too? I'd imagine that wouldn't be good for a planet.

Well, if made correctly, doorways and windows don't adversely affect the structural integrity of a house. That's not to say smashing a hole in a wall in a desperate bid to get outside is a great idea though, even if it works.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Even though we can technosperg about why atmo-warps are stupid dangerous/will kill everyone, all of that is just fluff to raise the stakes (much like comparing it to Ghostbusters' crossing the streams). I'd be completely OK with them actually doing it in the movie because it would be pretty tense and a good way to up the drama or whatever.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Plus if it's half as cool as "The Adama Maneuver" it'll be worth it, technobable be damned.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Pops Mgee posted:

Plus if it's half as cool as "The Adama Maneuver" it'll be worth it, technobable be damned.

Half as cool, nothing. BSG ships just poof, Star Trek ships actually are moving that fast. If they actually do it and the VFX department pulls it off right, it would look :black101: as gently caress.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Why doesn't the Enterprise ever go plaid?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

Why doesn't the Enterprise ever go plaid?

You . . . You have seen The Motion Picture, right?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

You . . . You have seen The Motion Picture, right?

Ha ha ha Oh Yeah

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm hearing the Doctor Who theme here.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
That's some ludicrous speed right there.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

The MSJ posted:

I'm hearing the Doctor Who theme here.

And I'm hearing Roger Troutman.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

That's beautiful

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

mr. stefan posted:

Just to be, in the spirit of the thread, a pedantic bore for a minute here, but Jupiter is some 600 million kilometres outwards from here. To cross that distance in "a minute or so" you'd have to travel at some 10 million kilometres/second, which is to say, some 30 times the speed of light. The impulse drive doesn't go faster than light so the only way for that to be possible is if there's some serious time dilation going on and the one minute of travel time is taken to be only the subjective travel time from the frame of reference of the crew aboard the starship. In which case there's still a lower limit of about an hour or so that would pass in the same time span for an outside observer at rest respective to the remaining solar system.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say here is for a starship to get past Jupiter in only a minute or so with only the impulse drive in Star Trek doesn't make any sense whatsoever, even in Star Trek terms.

PrBacterio fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

This makes me want to put on my Barbarella bluray.

• Locked thread