Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Is it just me or did funding really pick up the last few days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\/\/\ It generally does as kickstarters wrap up. Expect it to spike quite sharply the last few days.

Pyradox posted:

They've said his and Steven Dengler's are going to be added afterwards.

Yeah, presumably as a post-Kickstarter deposit, so that they don't have to pay 10% on it.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Neurolimal posted:

For starters, they could probably have a second menu drop down from your selection for "lie/tell truth/whateverthehellelse/play the bongos", instead of having 4 pages of choices, second half of which being lie versions of the first half.

Ooh, that's a really good idea. I wonder what the best way to display that in the UI would be, though. A second, mandatory drop-down would be annoying for a feature you'd probably only use 10% of the time. But if it were a checkbox/radio list option enabled before you make a dialog choice, you could forget to take the stance before you selected the dialog choice.

Maybe a second list could popup for you to drag to, if you hold down the mouse button after clicking, if you want to lie. "Tell truth" would be the default option, so simply clicking on a dialog option would be the same as dragging to "tell truth" in the second menu.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Another complaint I have about the Kickstarter is the lack of concrete stretch goals. We have 3 active stretch goals and only one of them has anything really very concrete and "measurable" for lack of a better term. There's the two additional writer goals, which are fine, I like both Rothfuss and Avellone and want them both writing for the game, but neither actually adds anything concrete, measurable, defined to the game. There's the lacunae, but we know basically nothing at all about them and I have no doubt we won't for quite a while since we're still missing a lot of other info about much more important things. The one goal that actually has something easily quantifiable is the additional companion.

The $3M stretch goal was great. It had several interesting concrete additions to the game. The $2.85M goal, again, was interesting and something I can easily foresee the impact of.

Hopefully the final week stretch goals give us something easier to see the results of than "+200% game!" or "another writer!". Neither of those things actually tell me anything about what my money's contributing to.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

/\/\/\ It generally does as kickstarters wrap up. Expect it to spike quite sharply the last few days.

Yeah, I know. It's just nice to see it happening before the last few days of frenzy.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

A question: I've read Monte Cook's short story. Is there any narrative fiction written by Colin McComb or the other novella authors available online? I don't mean Numanuma tales, just any stories they wrote. Basically I'm trying to figure out how much I care about the novella compilation.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

NihilCredo posted:

A question: I've read Monte Cook's short story. Is there any narrative fiction written by Colin McComb or the other novella authors available online? I don't mean Numanuma tales, just any stories they wrote. Basically I'm trying to figure out how much I care about the novella compilation.

Part of Colin McComb's book series, Oathbreaker. Book one is free on Kindle for now, not sure how long that'll last.

A collection of short stories, Dreams in Shadow - you can click on the top left "look inside" preview bit and read a portion of Colin's short story, too.

Actually, a lot of kindle books on Amazon can send you a 'sample' to read, and I think it may be a bit more content than the 'look inside' option they have on the page. Just type in the authors' names and see if they offer samples to send to your kindle cloud library to peruse.

Mur Lafferty I have only read one book of hers that I can remember, that was Playing for keeps - check out the look inside bit or the kindle sample to see her writing style.

The Afterlife series I guess got some sort of award for short fiction - it was originally a podcast, I think. This premise might be a bit more Tormenty than the book above. Again, the inside look section should give you a little bit to chew over.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 29, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Looks like they'll hit the $3.25 million goal sometime today, which means that they'll almost certainly make $3.5 by the end of the kickstarter drive. Wonder what's next for stretch goals? How do you top Chris Avellone coming back to do a new Torment?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Looks like they'll hit the $3.25 million goal sometime today, which means that they'll almost certainly make $3.5 by the end of the kickstarter drive. Wonder what's next for stretch goals? How do you top Chris Avellone coming back to do a new Torment?

They can't. I'm skeptical about this hitting 4 million.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

They'll get 4 easily. And how to top getting Avellone? Clone him! :colbert:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
This one has pretty consistently beaten P:E unless every Torment fan is tapped out this thing is definitely going to 4mil.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
"$4 million stretch goal: We buy WotC and burn that motherfucker to the ground, festival afterwards on remains starring GWAR dressed up as characters from Torment."

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Schurik posted:

Is it just me or did funding really pick up the last few days?

They always do at the end, it also helps that people will have just got paid if they're on a PAYE or equivalent system.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Update Email I just got said something about a new city stretch goal or something. I dunno if that's a new stretch goal they're introducing or if they're letting us know we achieved that at some point. But it looks pretty dope, it's like an upside down fishbowl dealio.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

The Update Email I just got said something about a new city stretch goal or something. I dunno if that's a new stretch goal they're introducing or if they're letting us know we achieved that at some point. But it looks pretty dope, it's like an upside down fishbowl dealio.

I believe that's a previously unannounced stretch goal, likely what they're referring to with the mention of a big non-April Fools update on Monday.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Wonder what's next for stretch goals? How do you top Chris Avellone coming back to do a new Torment?

Pre-rendered backgrounds at $4 million, I'm calling it now.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Thank you, that's exactly the sort of stuff I was looking for.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Read the update guys, it's got some good stuff; new city that will indeed be a stretch goal (we're still paring down where it fits cost-wise), Nathan Long being awesome, and talking about graphics.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Please someone donate 400k so we can get Chris Avellone on the project. One goon can do it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Now sure how good a fit a mostly vertical city covered in water will be for a 2D top-down RPG.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Megazver posted:

Now sure how good a fit a mostly vertical city covered in water will be for a 2D top-down RPG.

We'll probably spend our time on the air breathing outskirts, rather than in the bubble itself.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Line Feed posted:

We'll probably spend our time on the air breathing outskirts, rather than in the bubble itself.

The town on the outskirts hardly seems major hub-worthy. And the city itself, like, mostly towers. Probably fun to explore in a Bethesda-style RPG but I'm not sure how well it will translate to 2D.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Necroneocon posted:

Please someone donate 400k so we can get Chris Avellone on the project. One goon can do it.

They only need ~$260k to get Avellone on the project now. They roll in an extra $50k from the Paypal store.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hakkesshu posted:

They can't. I'm skeptical about this hitting 4 million.

You know Project Eternity brought in almost $900,000 in its last two days, right?

These things are super front- and back-loaded. The fact that per-backer contributions are so high already might mean a smaller final rush, but I can't see Torment not tying PE at the very least.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So they've hit the 3.25m goal now, only 6 days to get another 250k. Wish I made that much in 6 days.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

BenRGamer posted:

So they've hit the 3.25m goal now, only 6 days to get another 250k. Wish I made that much in 6 days.

They will for 100% sure hit 3.5 million don't worry about that.

6 days left now. Checked Kicktraq and P:E made 1.4 million in that time. If this going to get anywhere near that number the daily funding levels would probably need to spike real soon. P:E's last 6 days were 133k, 143k, 105k, 164k, 247k, and 615k on the final day. Torment got 39k yesterday.

Torment is at a higher funding level than P:E was at this point though, so they don't need as much to still at least tie what P:E got in the end.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
What's the 4 million dollar stretch goal? They get George R.R. Martin? or Hideo Kojima :swoon:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Zilkin posted:

They will for 100% sure hit 3.5 million don't worry about that.

6 days left now. Checked Kicktraq and P:E made 1.4 million in that time. If this going to get anywhere near that number the daily funding levels would probably need to spike real soon. P:E's last 6 days were 133k, 143k, 105k, 164k, 247k, and 615k on the final day. Torment got 39k yesterday.

Torment is at a higher funding level than P:E was at this point though, so they don't need as much to still at least tie what P:E got in the end.

Torment's day ticked over just a few hours ago. They still have closer to 7 days left including today. P:E's last 7 days were $54k, $133k, $143k, $105k, $164k, $247k, $615k. Torment is currently ahead of where P:E was at this point by 621k though. That makes topping P:E's funding level way more reasonable.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjRsTwF0aHv6dFVwaTF1WTI5b24tbGxpQUdQNU1TSHc#gid=14

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

I know I can't be the only one who thinks that prerendered backgrounds aren't such an awesome idea, especially if they're going to take significantly more effort and resources, and characters and props are going to be 3D anyway. Being able to move the camera around and see things I otherwise wouldn't just seems cooler to me and would make for more interesting exploration, in this humble goon's opinion.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Ah Pook posted:

I know I can't be the only one who thinks that prerendered backgrounds aren't such an awesome idea, especially if they're going to take significantly more effort and resources, and characters and props are going to be 3D anyway. Being able to move the camera around and see things I otherwise wouldn't just seems cooler to me and would make for more interesting exploration, in this humble goon's opinion.

I agree. I'm not really going to :emo: if the backgrounds won't be pre-rendered, especially if it means taking away resources from other areas like amount of content/writing/making strange, original and interesting things.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Backgrounds won't take away from writing at all. Artists aren't writers, they do different things at different times, and there aren't even any budget conflicts because they've already pretty much got their writers wrapped up barring any new stretch goals adding more writers. They could theoretically reduce the number of different areas in the game, but I don't think that will be a huge problem if they decide that pre-rendered backgrounds are doable.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

A really good Creepy, Obsessive Nerdlove on Ps:T and ToN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bwdIdVHelg

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The story is the most important bit ofcourse but if possible i prefer the 2D/Project Eternity option. I think it is just that i don't associate 3D with beautiful games, at least not unless you have a monster pc, and i would rather not have an enemy die and then fall through a wall because there is some glitch.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Schurik posted:

A really good Creepy, Obsessive Nerdlove on Ps:T and ToN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bwdIdVHelg

I think one the devs said (don't remember where, unfortunately) that they will be careful not to hammer the players head with the "What does one life matter?" question in the actual game and just be subtle about it like in PS:T, so i'm not to worried about that.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Zurai posted:

Backgrounds won't take away from writing at all. Artists aren't writers, they do different things at different times, and there aren't even any budget conflicts because they've already pretty much got their writers wrapped up barring any new stretch goals adding more writers. They could theoretically reduce the number of different areas in the game, but I don't think that will be a huge problem if they decide that pre-rendered backgrounds are doable.

They won't take writers time obviously but they do they take extra money(according to Brother None) from the already very limited budget.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

This Nathan Long guy definitely knows what he's doing - I've never seen anyone depict the creative process with such unerring accuracy.

Schurik posted:

A really good Creepy, Obsessive Nerdlove on Ps:T and ToN

I always like this guy's videos and definitely agree that the question isn't the be all and end all of the game. Luckily from what the updates have been saying that's not likely to be the case - Outside of using Legacy as a pillar, the question hasn't really been central to the updates.

Going back to the question of how the kickstarter will finish, I think InXile are probably banking on the upcoming environment render to push them to the same heights as Project Eternity, which I really hope it does. These concepts already have a sublime art style and I could do with a new wallpaper. Luckily, I think I'll be quite happy with either art style regardless of what they pick (I think Wasteland 2 looks great for pure 3D).

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Aw maaan, after that speed up it's slowed to a crawl again. Really hope we break 4m.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Schurik posted:

Aw maaan, after that speed up it's slowed to a crawl again. Really hope we break 4m.

If that mock-up screenshot gets posted on Monday, I bet it'll pick up quite a bit.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Ah Pook posted:

Being able to move the camera around and see things I otherwise wouldn't just seems cooler to me and would make for more interesting exploration, in this humble goon's opinion.
I would assume things aren't going to be placed in the inaccessible corners of the backdrop. Having a fixed angle means objects would presumably be placed in unmissable spots. You're more likely to miss something with a free moving camera where you rotate it to a spot that obscures something cool. Much in the same way that I always seem to have my camera pointed in the wrong direction whenever one of the scary bits happens in FEAR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That's why you hold down the tab key to highlight interactive objects. :science:

• Locked thread