Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Daktar posted:

Nah, it's your standard expat move. Go somewhere warm (where they have massive prawns, Stu) and live in little British enclaves without ever learning the local language or interacting with local people, all the while writing tofor the Daily Mail to complain about immigrants doing the exact same thing back in the old country.

Just a minor tweak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

baka kaba posted:

Just a minor tweak

Richard Littlejohn?

Oh wait, just realised :thejoke:

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 26, 2013

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Daktar posted:

Nah, it's your standard expat move. Go somewhere warm (where they have massive prawns, Stu) and live in little British enclaves without ever learning the local language or interacting with local people, all the while writing to the Daily Mail to complain about immigrants doing the exact same thing back in the old country.

Sadly, very true. My parents live in Spain, and although they do eat local food, they hang around exclusively with other Brits moaning about immigrants and how much Weetabix and Marmite costs in another country. My parents are not as bad as some, though. Insisting on 'proper english sausages' for their Full English (tm) and they also have the added bonus of bitching about the morroccans, without a hint of irony, who have been there for centuries. You should have seen the delight and joy when Iceland and Primark opened. It was like the second coming. 'Finally! I can get Paxo and cheap undies!'

Mind you, my Dad looked at my Facebook page and had a go at me for all the foreign named friends I had. He is not on my friends list.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

prefect posted:

Do they actually have British enclaves in the US? Are you allowed to tell outsiders? :allears:

I heard there was a place in Portland that sells marmite, but also that the weather there is as bad as Britain's and that the prawns are normal sized.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Trickjaw posted:

Sadly, very true. My parents live in Spain, and although they do eat local food, they hang around exclusively with other Brits moaning about immigrants and how much Weetabix and Marmite costs in another country.
I had some friends who moved out to Spain to "live the dream", and came back after a few years because they hated the expat community so much. They described them as whining, racist, nosy, hypocritical backstabbers - so, Daily Mail readers, then.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Zephro posted:

In fairness to the snow cartoons, it has been a loving miserable spring on top of a loving miserable year. Wettest year in over a century and then straight in to the coldest March for 50 years. It's freezing loving cold, I haven't seen the sun in four months, and the forecast is for more of the same for two weeks, after which it will warm up slightly but only 'cos there's going to be some Atlantic lows sweeping in, bringing more.mother.loving.rain.

Emigrating to California sounds like a pretty attractive option at this point.

It sets us up beautifully for a shot of the mail denying climate change on one page, while bemoaning "all this freak weather" on another. Bonus points for mentions of immigration or something causing cancer.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

No 10 has rushed to the defence of David Cameron after Labour attacked his speech on immigration, claiming that the statistics did not back it up.

Telegraph:

Indy:

Express:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Fluo posted:

Express:

Why is there a pair of boobs shaved into that person's head-stubble?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Because those are the face of an owl! Thats a great hidden bird too, by the way, didn't see it until you mentioned it.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

This is actually pretty good.

Also is that meant to be David Cameron in the Express cartoon, because what

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Kegluneq posted:

This is actually pretty good.

Also is that meant to be David Cameron in the Express cartoon, because what

Is it? Can you explain it because I have no idea what's meant to be going on there.

Also yes, it's because the express's cartoonist is poo poo.

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

I think the Peron hat is a bit of a cheap shot but I have to say I'm loving this weeks If... being a Four Yorkshiremen Sketch featuring the Pope.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Clapham Omnibus posted:

I think the Peron hat is a bit of a cheap shot but I have to say I'm loving this weeks If... being a Four Yorkshiremen Sketch featuring the Pope.

He was quite a collaborator I'm told with the Dirty War. :smith:

I guess the new Pope still has a long way caricature wise. :3:

Someone said Four Yorkshiremen Sketch! gotta love it! :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAtSw3daGoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Fluo fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 26, 2013

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Puntification posted:

Is it? Can you explain it because I have no idea what's meant to be going on there.

Also yes, it's because the express's cartoonist is poo poo.

Boris had a disastrous interview on the Andrew Marr show last Sunday, which people are saying could affect his chances of becoming Prime Minister. In the cartoon he's hit a snag in his zip-wire. viz, he's hit a snag on his way to number ten.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

It also references the time he got stuck on a zipwire on purpose.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

cloudchamber posted:

Boris had a disastrous interview on the Andrew Marr show last Sunday, which people are saying could affect his chances of becoming Prime Minister. In the cartoon he's hit a snag in his zip-wire. viz, he's hit a snag on his way to number ten.

Not the best picture but you get the idea

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I heartily recommend it to any one who hasn't seen it. Eddie Mair skewering Boris Johnson is primo-rudeness.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

cloudchamber posted:

I didn't think it was just a snag, I thought he was hanging himself on his own publicity (yep, aware of the zip-wire context).

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Trickjaw posted:

Sadly, very true. My parents live in Spain, and although they do eat local food, they hang around exclusively with other Brits moaning about immigrants and how much Weetabix and Marmite costs in another country. My parents are not as bad as some, though. Insisting on 'proper english sausages' for their Full English (tm) and they also have the added bonus of bitching about the morroccans, without a hint of irony, who have been there for centuries. You should have seen the delight and joy when Iceland and Primark opened. It was like the second coming. 'Finally! I can get Paxo and cheap undies!'

Mind you, my Dad looked at my Facebook page and had a go at me for all the foreign named friends I had. He is not on my friends list.
Hah, it's funny 'cause up here in Iceland we've been having unseasonably warm weather for the year, 'cept a few weeks back and our Brits seem to mingle a little bit at least.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

cloudchamber posted:

Ah right thanks, yeah I had only heard of the interview not seen it and I didn't recognise that thing as being boris, it looked like someone was smashing a bail of hay into their own face.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hah, it's funny 'cause up here in Iceland we've been having unseasonably warm weather for the year, 'cept a few weeks back and our Brits seem to mingle a little bit at least.

I'd assume that any Brit moving to Iceland had some interest in the country and culture and so on, instead of just going to a typical summer holiday destination so they can pretend they're in a hotter version of Britain

Puntification posted:

Ah right thanks, yeah I had only heard of the interview not seen it and I didn't recognise that thing as being boris, it looked like someone was smashing a bail of hay into their own face.

..............and???

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

Because those are the face of an owl! Thats a great hidden bird too, by the way, didn't see it until you mentioned it.

Hah! That's really rather brilliant. The Express cartoons should just remove all the dialogue and become a Spot the Bird competition.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Steve Bell on the Tories' response to the Mid Staffordshire NHS scandal.
Failing hospitals to be named and shamed in NHS care overhaul.

Telegraph:

Indy:

Express:

The 2 news the cartoons today are touching on are.

Failing hospitals to be named and shamed in NHS care overhaul.
Jeremy Hunt says managers responsible for failures will be barred from working in NHS.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/mar/26/failing-hospitals-nhs-jeremy-hunt

Jeremy Hunt to announce measure aimed at improving levels of compassion after Mid Staffordshire scandal.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/mar/26/nurses-basic-care-training

Jeremy Hunt's response to Mid Staffs report is just beginning.
Pretending to have finalised a view on so much in so short a time would not have yielded practical and beneficial reform.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/mar/26/jeremy-hunt-mid-staffs-beginning

Thats the NHS/Jeremy Hunt stuff. (Sorry for using just guardian articles).

The helicopter cartoons are based around this piece of news.

Bristow Group to take over UK search and rescue from RAF.
A private company will take over the UK's helicopter search and rescue operations, the Department for Transport has announced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21934077

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm always disappointed when the bird is easy to find. That owl one was awesome.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

Since this is the Telegraph, at first I assumed this must a malicious cartoon about David Miliband stepping down as an MP to head the (US based) International Rescue Committee (not to say that he hasn't made a bundle since losing the Labour leadership (see Private Eyes passim), but that's hardly relevant here). But, shocklingly, this seems to be saying that privatising public good-providing services is a bad thing. Am I missing something awful here?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Niric posted:

Since this is the Telegraph, at first I assumed this must a malicious cartoon about David Miliband stepping down as an MP to head the (US based) International Rescue Committee (not to say that he hasn't made a bundle since losing the Labour leadership (see Private Eyes passim), but that's hardly relevant here). But, shocklingly, this seems to be saying that privatising public good-providing services is a bad thing. Am I missing something awful here?

I think the Telegraph friendly message you are missing is "BLOODY YANKS!"

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think the Telegraph friendly message you are missing is "BLOODY YANKS!"

Ah, that makes a lot more sense, thanks.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm a big fan of Jeremy Hunt sucking blood out of an IV, but who's the guy with the glasgow smile behind Hunt in the Bell cartoon.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm a big fan of Jeremy Hunt sucking blood out of an IV, but who's the guy with the glasgow smile behind Hunt in the Bell cartoon.

I'm pretty sure that's a (not quite as good as usual) caricature of Andrew Lansley.

The scrubs and the two fat cats echo this:

The Chelsea/Glasgow smile, Frankenstein's monster neck-bolts and receding hair are visible here:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Steve Bell on David Miliband's resignation as an MP.
Labour minister for South Shields stands down to take up role at New York-based International Rescue Committee.

Telegraph:

Indy:

Express:

The David Miliband's ones are based of off the infamous photos of him walking along holding a banana weirdly which will follow him forever.

Edit: Added todays If... aswell.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 28, 2013

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Fluo posted:

Steve Bell on David Miliband's resignation as an MP.
Labour minister for South Shields stands down to take up role at New York-based International Rescue Committee.

Um, when I first saw this, I thought it looked like a racist Obama charicature.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Skeesix posted:

If it helps(?), the Milibands are Jewish. Dave Miliband was mocked heartily for that photo, but that was back before he was the party's best option for a Leader :smith:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

The prime minister has brought rightwing energy minister John Hayes into No 10 as a minister of state. Link.

Independent:

Pope Francis washing the feet of young offenders in prison. Link.

Telegraph:

It's still cold and Britain sucks.

Express:

The Rolling Stones are to play the Glastonbury music festival. Link.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Skeesix posted:

If it was posted in the main political cartoons thread, I guarantee that's what people would think it is.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

The Rolling Stones are to play the Glastonbury music festival. Link.

That would have been a passable visual gag without someone explaining the joke in the middle of it. It's like even he thinks he's a lovely cartoonist

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

John Charity Spring posted:

If it was posted in the main political cartoons thread, I guarantee that's what people would think it is.

That's what I thought it was. :usa:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

In the past they thought one of Steve Bell's condom Cameron cartoons was Obama and were quite confused.

Also anyway with an Archer avatar I default love you, great show!

Fluo fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 29, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

baka kaba posted:

That would have been a passable visual gag without someone explaining the joke in the middle of it. It's like even he thinks he's a lovely cartoonist

It would have been a bit hard to see, and not everyone knows the Stones logo.

McLachlan does the best stairlift cartoons anyway.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Skeesix posted:

Even if it was Obama, I'm not sure what would be racist about it. The tribal-looking headdress thing :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Exclamation Marx posted:

Even if it was Obama, I'm not sure what would be racist about it. The tribal-looking headdress thing :confused:

Banana's = Monkeys = Black People = Racism ??? I don't know Americans :negative:

• Locked thread