Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

GramCracker posted:

Playing paintball using 2 Audi RS4 Avants, that's pretty AI and supremely awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxhif43pLJ0

Thank you for this, I have found my calling in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Is this worth checking out?

4matic
5 speed
I6 DOHC
Made before MB became total crap in 1995.

$2300

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Maybe worth it. How many miles? Did you do a carfax? Can you work on it by yourself?

I love mine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Looks pretty good to me, a W124 is a solid ride. It's a 300TE, right? That 3.0 6-cylinder will do plenty more miles, provided it's had regular oil changes and normal maintenance.

Make sure the 4matic system works properly, it's a complicated system and the center diff is the expensive weak point.

How is it rust-wise?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 27, 2013

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

GramCracker posted:

Playing paintball using 2 Audi RS4 Avants, that's pretty AI and supremely awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxhif43pLJ0

Video is now private. :sigh:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Maybe worth it. How many miles? Did you do a carfax? Can you work on it by yourself?

I love mine.

No rust (or so the ad said). I haven't looked at it yet but I would do a car fax and PPI if I were serious. Likewise I would need to check out the center diff. How does one do that with this model? I will google. 130k w/new clutch. I can do the work myself.

What is your mileage like? Upkeep?

E: for content

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

ThirstyBuck posted:

No rust (or so the ad said). I haven't looked at it yet but I would do a car fax and PPI if I were serious. Likewise I would need to check out the center diff. How does one do that with this model? I will google. 130k w/new clutch. I can do the work myself.

E: for content

You should read this excellent buyers guide: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1480799-w124-buyers-guide.html

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have a 2004 Audi allroad.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

ThirstyBuck posted:

Well, I WAS getting 16-18, but then I seafoamed it and did a more complete service. I haven't done enough miles yet to get enough data for new mileage, but I expect it to go up. When the car was new, it did 22 highway (I have an auto 2WD), so you should see slightly less because of the 4WD, since the manual and auto get roughly the same as I recall.

Upkeep is surprisingly straightforward for a complex vehicle. It's pretty much all mechanical, save for electrical bits for windows etc. It's still a straight 6 upper level family car, not an uber luxury executive car, so it doesn't get quite as many fancy bits as an S-class or something with a V8.

StarcraftM
Jan 15, 2008

Full Fuckin' Circle.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have a 2004 Audi allroad.

My biggest regret ever is passing on one of these, silver, with the S4 engine (The Twin Turbo 6).

I passed because the previous owner hadn't done the repair to the Air Suspension, which everyone screamed was a 5K repair when it inevitably failed.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

StarcraftM posted:

My biggest regret ever is passing on one of these, silver, with the S4 engine (The Twin Turbo 6).

I passed because the previous owner hadn't done the repair to the Air Suspension, which everyone screamed was a 5K repair when it inevitably failed.

That's what mine has. I dumped by dream car, a 325i six speed for it, when my kid turned two and his new car seat wouldn't fit in the back of the Beamer. The Audi is a monster, I wish it was a stick, but besides that it's been a good car. It's extremely powerful, but compared to the 3, it's like driving an ark.

I'll sell it to you, though, if you want. It has 75k on it, and has the air suspension repair already done on it by the previous owner. I'm not kidding.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Who needs a pickup truck?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Who needs a pickup truck?

Nice! 2.5?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

StarcraftM posted:

I had a 2003 allroad with the V6TT and auto until it got totalled while parked outside my house. Definitely wished I had tracked down either a manual or a V8 (not sure if a manual V8 was ever made).

While I owned it, the front left airbag exploded at night while parked outside my house (made a pretty loud noise), so I have some experience with repairing that stuff.

I replaced the fronts with these, with a lifetime warranty and supposed to be much more reliable than the OEM parts. Total parts cost for all 4 corners plus a new compressor is a hair under $2k, without a whole lot of labor involved to replace them:
https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_AUDI_yid17_pid124.html

So not cheap, but also not $5k unless you're going OEM and having them replaced at the dealer.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

blk posted:

Nice! 2.5?

Low and slow. It did only have 58k on it when I got it.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Now literally a bread van:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I currently have a Subaru Outback wagon, and while its a nice enough car, I would like a nicer car. Been looking at lot at BMW wagons lately. Any years/models I should be looking at, or more importantly years/models I should be avoiding?

StarcraftM
Jan 15, 2008

Full Fuckin' Circle.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That's what mine has. I dumped by dream car, a 325i six speed for it, when my kid turned two and his new car seat wouldn't fit in the back of the Beamer. The Audi is a monster, I wish it was a stick, but besides that it's been a good car. It's extremely powerful, but compared to the 3, it's like driving an ark.

I'll sell it to you, though, if you want. It has 75k on it, and has the air suspension repair already done on it by the previous owner. I'm not kidding.

Oh man, I am tempted by that. Where are you located? Guessing someplace that isn't the northeast because of the lack of rust

StarcraftM
Jan 15, 2008

Full Fuckin' Circle.

Steve French posted:

I had a 2003 allroad with the V6TT and auto until it got totalled while parked outside my house. Definitely wished I had tracked down either a manual or a V8 (not sure if a manual V8 was ever made).

While I owned it, the front left airbag exploded at night while parked outside my house (made a pretty loud noise), so I have some experience with repairing that stuff.

I replaced the fronts with these, with a lifetime warranty and supposed to be much more reliable than the OEM parts. Total parts cost for all 4 corners plus a new compressor is a hair under $2k, without a whole lot of labor involved to replace them:
https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_AUDI_yid17_pid124.html

So not cheap, but also not $5k unless you're going OEM and having them replaced at the dealer.

Thats not bad at all. I'm not much of a wrencher though (Live in apartment building) so I'd have to have em installed. Good to know options exist though. Ride stayed great?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

StarcraftM posted:

Thats not bad at all. I'm not much of a wrencher though (Live in apartment building) so I'd have to have em installed. Good to know options exist though. Ride stayed great?

Yeah, the ride was still great (they also have different ones that are supposed to have a slightly stiffer ride). I mentioned that there's not much labor to replace them because the bulk of the cost to replace is the parts, not the labor. I think my local Audi/VW shop quoted something like half an hour to replace each spring.

And there's also this: http://www.audiction.com/audi-maintenance/audi-allroad-front-air-spring-replacement/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

StarcraftM posted:

Oh man, I am tempted by that. Where are you located? Guessing someplace that isn't the northeast because of the lack of rust

Nope, it is the North East. NJ actually. I just take ludicrous car of my cars. I've had it for almost two years. I've clay-barred and waxed it four times already. Shoot me an email, ericcorp AT gmail DOT com and we can discuss further. I don't want to clutter up this thread with car sale talk.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

DJCobol posted:

I currently have a Subaru Outback wagon, and while its a nice enough car, I would like a nicer car. Been looking at lot at BMW wagons lately. Any years/models I should be looking at, or more importantly years/models I should be avoiding?

Try looking for a Volvo wagon... The V70 98-00' are nice and anything after 04' is good too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

StarcraftM posted:

Audi may not be good at much, but rust proofing is their forte. Anything built after the early 90s almost certainly won't have rust unless it has been crashed and poorly repaired.
Heck, that car probably hasn't had its rust warranty expire yet.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My parents wanted to get rid of their 2001 Citroën C5 hatchback, so they went out and found a new used car. A 2006 Citroën C5 wagon. It's got leather seats and a couple more features than the old one. Interestingly, despite being a facelifted version of the same car as the old one, the suspension is even more pillow-soft and the power steering is lighter. Perfect for a comfy French sofa on wheels. Engine is only a 135hp 2.0, but honestly, who buys a Citroën to go fast, anyway?

It's absolutely ridiculously roomy, and it's even got a button in the trunk area to raise and lower the rear of the car, for easier loading and unloading. And it drives so well, nothing is sporty at all, everything is made and weighted for comfort.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
:)

:(

1996 Buick Century wagon, 131k miles. Popped a drat head gasket on the 3100 after less than a week of ownership. With the upper intake off, most of the hard work is done. I just need to figure out how to pull the power steering pump so I can get to two of the bolts holding the lower intake on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KozmoNaut posted:

My parents wanted to get rid of their 2001 Citroën C5 hatchback, so they went out and found a new used car. A 2006 Citroën C5 wagon. It's got leather seats and a couple more features than the old one. Interestingly, despite being a facelifted version of the same car as the old one, the suspension is even more pillow-soft and the power steering is lighter. Perfect for a comfy French sofa on wheels. Engine is only a 135hp 2.0, but honestly, who buys a Citroën to go fast, anyway?

It's absolutely ridiculously roomy, and it's even got a button in the trunk area to raise and lower the rear of the car, for easier loading and unloading. And it drives so well, nothing is sporty at all, everything is made and weighted for comfort.

Is that the hydro-pneumatic version or does it have normal suspension?

I want a C5 wagon in the worst way.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

echoplex posted:

Now literally a bread van:

Does it smell as awesome as it looks? :allears:

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Confused_Donkey posted:

Current:

I plan on building another one (I collect these things) Which will be an E30 Touring / M60B40 6Speed V8 swap. This will be my new daily driver.

What rims are these? They're beautiful.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Those look like M5 ninja stars to me

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

rscott posted:

Those look like M5 ninja stars to me

You're right, I looked them up. drat those are some nice looking wheels.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

VanNuys posted:

You're right, I looked them up. drat those are some nice looking wheels.

Wow -- that is the best fitment for an E30 with the 5-bolt conversion, awesome.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is that the hydro-pneumatic version or does it have normal suspension?

I want a C5 wagon in the worst way.

It's hydro-pneumatic, it's the only way the first-gen C5 came. On the 2008-present second generation, you can choose normal suspension, but why would you do that on a big Citroën? :)

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

It's hydro-pneumatic, it's the only way the first-gen C5 came. On the 2008-present second generation, you can choose normal suspension, but why would you do that on a big Citroën? :)

If you do this it's called a Peugeot 407 ;)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Dick Trauma posted:

Does it smell as awesome as it looks? :allears:

Yes! I wish I got more cargo like that. I should probaby wash it but I'm sort of tempted to see just how dirty I can get the car while I live in the country.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

If you do this it's called a Peugeot 407 ;)

The current C5 is the only one with a choice of different suspensions and it shares its platform with the 508 :eng101:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Crosspost from the BMW thread but I bought a wagon.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Beautiful.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KozmoNaut posted:

Because you are dumb and also cheap.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Left Ventricle posted:

:)

:(

1996 Buick Century wagon, 131k miles. Popped a drat head gasket on the 3100 after less than a week of ownership. With the upper intake off, most of the hard work is done. I just need to figure out how to pull the power steering pump so I can get to two of the bolts holding the lower intake on.

Enjoy being invisible to cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My parents are coming back from holiday tomorrow, so I gave my old man's E91 a wash and detailing. It won't stay like that, of course (he has an amazing ability to get cars filthy), but at least if he stacks it on the way home the Highways Agency Wombles won't think I let him run around all dirty.

• Locked thread