Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

ChibiSoma posted:

Well, that'll be a challenge. It took me like 35 minutes to kill one. Don't really have any fire weapons made. Also discovered something purely by accident. Somehow I got a Deviljho Talon. It must've been on a Peco hunt. I dunno if I caught one in a golfswing and got it from a shiny or what. I'd dropped all my gear off because I was gonna farm the Volcano for shards and ore. Come back, go to combine some things, notice the Power/Armorcharms could be combined with the Talon. Does the Powertalon stack with the Powercharm? How big a boost does it give in comparison?

The talons do stack with the charms, yes. Having both is the equivalent of attack/defense up M. Individually, a talon is just short of a attack/defense up S, while the charms are about a third of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Fun with the Volvidon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma7oGoRjUzg

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
"Stylin on Volvidon"

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Those are some disturbingly anime costumes, loved the punch emote.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Whats a good armor for being a hammer bro? Alternatively, what should I be looking for in an armor? I'm HR3 and have all these assorted monster parts but I've only made a Great Jaggi, Great Wroggi, and partially made a lagiacrus armor because I have everything but a lagi plate.

There are just so many options :psyduck:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Whats a good armor for being a hammer bro? Alternatively, what should I be looking for in an armor? I'm HR3 and have all these assorted monster parts but I've only made a Great Jaggi, Great Wroggi, and partially made a lagiacrus armor because I have everything but a lagi plate.

There are just so many options :psyduck:

I always liked the Duramboros set in P3rd. I'd probably say anything that gives you a boost to how quickly you KO monsters, Attack/Defense Up, and maybe Sharpness +1. Doubt you'll get all of those on any one set, but aiming for just about any of those is probably fine and dandy. Otherwise, just use whatever you like the looks of and has the best defenses for the situation.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
SO I beat uragaan last night and man, he was the biggest pushover compared to even barroth.

Barioth on the other hand is a jumpy rear end in a top hat.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

ChibiSoma posted:

Huh. Two HR Duramboros on one mission.

Well, that'll be a challenge. It took me like 35 minutes to kill one. Don't really have any fire weapons made. Certainly none worth bringing to an HR battle. Got the most basic Rathalos-fueled Greatsword if I went and got a part or two from him. Might be the only fire weapon I have open. At least in a weapon category I don't despise. I've got the DLC lance made, but I don't feel like running around the arena killing Bullfangos for more tickets to upgrade it. Also it's a lance and pfft. :v:

I like to use lots of bombs on Duram. He spends a lot of time idle/rolling on the ground for various reasons (I hamnmer so he tires out fast) which gives me plenty of bombing opportunities. I usually break everything but his tail with bombs.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Haha, this rules. I thought it was bizarre how easy it was to interrupt its rolls, I didn't realize any damage would work.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know if there's a way to make high end monsters spawn in free hunt more frequently? I have plenty of them unlocked but I just keep seeing Jaggi, Aoashira, Baggi and Ludroth. Something with a rare trade item worth 4 stars or more appears roughly once every million forevers.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I really like the whole punting him from one bomb to another thing. That just seems awesome and I would love to try it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
What's the "Fade Spirit Roundslash" in the Bradley guide for the Hunting Horn? Is that a typo? It mentions a gauge which makes me think it's for another weapon. Do they mean the notes?

Also, Bone Armor is exactly everything I need for Hunting Horn. :D

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 29, 2013

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I'm completely new to Monster Hunter. I've got a Wii copy of Tri sitting around that I got for $15 with the classic pro controller and found it a little inaccessible but I've heard nothing but good things about it and it seems like it probably should be pretty great. I just ordered the 3DS Ultimate version today to give it a proper go, since the Wii is a little unreliable and apparently they turned off multiplayer for Tri. I was hearing that this beginners guide is really good for getting into the game on the right foot and in the right frame of mind. Has anyone got any experience with that guide? I feel a little weird spending even more money on this game when I'm not even sure I'm into it, and buying strategy guides seems crazy to me in 2013.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

chaosbreather posted:

I'm completely new to Monster Hunter. I've got a Wii copy of Tri sitting around that I got for $15 with the classic pro controller and found it a little inaccessible but I've heard nothing but good things about it and it seems like it probably should be pretty great. I just ordered the 3DS Ultimate version today to give it a proper go, since the Wii is a little unreliable and apparently they turned off multiplayer for Tri. I was hearing that this beginners guide is really good for getting into the game on the right foot and in the right frame of mind. Has anyone got any experience with that guide? I feel a little weird spending even more money on this game when I'm not even sure I'm into it, and buying strategy guides seems crazy to me in 2013.

Between the wiki and this thread, you shouldn't need the guide.

Give the game some time. It takes a while for it to click for most people.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

What's the "Fade Spirit Roundslash" in the Bradley guide for the Hunting Horn? Is that a typo? It mentions a gauge which makes me think it's for another weapon. Do they mean the notes?

Also, Bone Armor is exactly everything I need for Hunting Horn. :D

They seem to have done a lot of copy/paste from the Tri guide. Fadeslash/Roundslash are LS moves. Gauge is probably the spirit gauge.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

pixaal posted:

Nothing will stop you from playing with goons if you eventually pick up the wiiU version since you can transfer your save.

You don't even -need- a Wii U copy of the game, do you? A lot of people I've spoken to insinuated you can actually online with the 3DS by doing some adhoc party like poo poo on the Wii U.

vvv: Aight then I guess the people I spoke to were mistaken. At least you can transfer your guy, I suppose.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 29, 2013

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Volt Catfish posted:

You don't even -need- a Wii U copy of the game, do you? A lot of people I've spoken to insinuated you can actually online with the 3DS by doing some adhoc party like poo poo on the Wii U.

Through a copy of the WiiU version of the game.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I wanted to get some clarification:

If you have an elemental weapon, and you hit a boss that isn't weak to that element; you still deal elemental damage, correct?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

xK1 posted:

Are we sure this is how it works? I thought the 3DS version couldn't get online at all.

TalonDemonKing posted:

If you have an elemental weapon, and you hit a boss that isn't weak to that element; you still deal elemental damage, correct?

No, if you're hitting a monster that isn't weak to an element you do no extra elemental damage to them.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

xK1 posted:

Not true, it runs through an app downloaded from the Wii U eShop. You need a LAN adaptor though. The method you describe would be completely redundant.

vvvv The packet relay tool is out already, go check the eShop

Bland fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 29, 2013

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Volt Catfish posted:

vvv: Aight then I guess the people I spoke to were mistaken. At least you can transfer your guy, I suppose.

xK1 is correct for now, but they are releasing a thing in April for the 3ds versions to use a Wii U to get online. Problem is that it will require a usb to lan adapter, so it'll probably just be better to get the Wii U game instead.
An article about it here.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

No, if you're hitting a monster that isn't weak to an element you do no extra elemental damage to them.

'Extra' or 'No' elemental damage to them? I was looking up damage formula's earlier this morning and it seems that each monster has a elemental defense to plug into the formula; which tells me that it's possible to deal elemental damage to them if they're neutral or even resistant.

Granted, this was for MH Tri; not Ultimate, so I don't know if anything changed from the two versions.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

TalonDemonKing posted:

It depends on what you mean by "weak". Bosses (more specifically their parts) all have %values or each element that determines how much damage they take from that element. Most(all?) bosses have one or more elements [all but Dragon in G.Jaggi's case] that they take higher % of damage from than the others, and many have one or more elements that they take 0% damage from (usually no more than 1).

Weak can refer to the element they are most damaged by, or it can refer to them taking any damage at all from that element (usually the former). I prefer to say that they are resistant to an element if they take damage from it but are more weak to other elements.

Take Barioth's head:

30% Fire, 10% Water, 0% Ice, 25% Thunder, 15% Dragon

This means that if your weapon deals 100 elemental damage, if fire it will deal 30 damage, 10 if water and so on. Thus Barioth is "weak" to fire and thunder, "resistant" to water and dragon and immune to ice. In this case, only an ice element will deal no extra damage over raw.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Wozbo posted:

Barioth on the other hand is a jumpy rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, gently caress this guy. He's a bitch to gun down, too.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

Machai posted:

It depends on what you mean by "weak". Bosses (more specifically their parts) all have %values or each element that determines how much damage they take from that element. Most(all?) bosses have one or more elements [all but Dragon in G.Jaggi's case] that they take higher % of damage from than the others, and many have one or more elements that they take 0% damage from (usually no more than 1).

Weak can refer to the element they are most damaged by, or it can refer to them taking any damage at all from that element (usually the former). I prefer to say that they are resistant to an element if they take damage from it but are more weak to other elements.

Take Barioth's head:

30% Fire, 10% Water, 0% Ice, 25% Thunder, 15% Dragon

This means that if your weapon deals 100 elemental damage, if fire it will deal 30 damage, 10 if water and so on. Thus Barioth is "weak" to fire and thunder, "resistant" to water and dragon and immune to ice. In this case, only an ice element will deal no extra damage over raw.

Is there any resistance to slime or is it just as overpowered as it seems?

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Seemenaked posted:

Is there any resistance to slime or is it just as overpowered as it seems?

Some enemies take more or less damage depending but even on Brachydios, who takes longer than most to slime and takes less damage, slime is ridiculous. I really should make different armor or weapons, but my Brachy gear is just too good.

Edit to expand a bit on why Slime is so good: Monhan really likes it when you deal all your damage to one spot. It rewards you with flinches, giving you even more chances to deal more damage. Slime doesn't care where you hit the monster it'll build until it goes off, dealing all of its damage to the spot you just hit. Which causes flinches, which lets you build more slime and cause more flinches. With a little luck and much less precision than other weapons, slime lets you lock a monster down in multiplayer.

rhoga fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 29, 2013

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Thanks for the info -- I tried playing around with the Switch Axe last night, and although the weapon had good visual and audio feedback, it just didn't mesh with my playing style.

I did play with some weapons here and there, and finally came back to the SnS. It's a very quick and fast weapon, and for some reason it seems to have an insane amount of capability to proc effect status effects. Damage seems a bit lacking, but I think I could make up for it by having multiple elemental weapons until I can get my slime sword. Being able to bounce around from place to place and get in with a few quick hits and get out before the Wyvern can react feels real good.

Did the model-less equipment make it in from Tri? Or piercings for that matter? I don't really care for any of the helmets (Minus the pumpkin one), but I also don't want to lose out on the defense/slots that they provide.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Geez Zinogre slow down and let me hit you!

Don't think Dual Swords are the best for taking on the Thunderwolf. He's fast and hits like a truck. If I hadn't promised myself I wasn't going to use any of the weapons I used for my run through Tri (SnS Lance and Hammer) I'd see how Lances fare against him.

I beat him but not before fainting once and using nearly all my supplies.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

TalonDemonKing posted:

Thanks for the info -- I tried playing around with the Switch Axe last night, and although the weapon had good visual and audio feedback, it just didn't mesh with my playing style.

I did play with some weapons here and there, and finally came back to the SnS. It's a very quick and fast weapon, and for some reason it seems to have an insane amount of capability to proc effect status effects. Damage seems a bit lacking, but I think I could make up for it by having multiple elemental weapons until I can get my slime sword. Being able to bounce around from place to place and get in with a few quick hits and get out before the Wyvern can react feels real good.

Did the model-less equipment make it in from Tri? Or piercings for that matter? I don't really care for any of the helmets (Minus the pumpkin one), but I also don't want to lose out on the defense/slots that they provide.

The chakra set still exists, yes.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Are there any good guides out there to gunning related skills and notable weapons to make? (Mh3U) I know in MHFU the emperor lao shan cannon was really good, but I don't feel like I have any idea what I'm looking for with regards to skills or how to evaluate what makes a given ranged weapon useful. Does pellet shot still wreck diablos this time around? I want to try and learn so that I can evaluate what to make for a given monster.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Slime is a status, right? Is there a particular reason it isn't triggering my Status +2 skill?

Or is it an Element and I'm just dumb?

Slime only benefits from the Bombardier (Bomb Boost) skill. Status and Elemental do not affect it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think I want to start using Gunlances. What are the types of skills a Gunlance user wants to have because I'm at a loss. Checking the wiki isn't terribly useful either because I can't tell what is oudated information and what isn't.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Volt Catfish posted:

I think I want to start using Gunlances. What are the types of skills a Gunlance user wants to have because I'm at a loss. Checking the wiki isn't terribly useful either because I can't tell what is oudated information and what isn't.

Definitely Razor Sharp or Speed Sharpening. Evasion skills would probably be just as good for Gunlance as they are for Lance.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Volt Catfish posted:

Agnaktor armor is a good set for gunlance in general. Razor sharp or speed sharpening like the guy above me said is pretty invaluable for gunlance since shelling blows through sharpness, and it also has Guard +1 which is handy for blocking anything and everything.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Do note that Gunlances have different shell types -- I'm rather preferential to Long as it extends your Wyvern's Fire a bit. Your ammo does get lowered, however.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Brachydios: The developers' way of saying 'gently caress you' to people who use weapons without shields. I brought in 30 healing items, I came out with 1. The amount of parts required for armor and weapons keeps going up. Means if I want either a weapon or god forbid his armor, I'll have to fight him a good dozen or so times. I don't want to fight him a second time! At least not with a Hammer. Might bring a Greatsword in next time so I can at least block. He just has too many instant moves where, no matter where you stand, you're gonna get smashed.

Please say his armor's no good so I can just make a slime SNS or something and be done with him until whatever require fights are needed in the future. Some monsters are fun to fight against. With a Hammer at least, Brachydios is not one of them.

It didn't help that, for some reason, despite me changing his mask before the fight, Cha-Cha reverted back to the Felyne mask. So every time I'd almost get a three hit combo/pound off on Brachy, a bomb would come sailing through the air to knock me away. I took that mask off you for a reason, ya little rear end in a top hat! :mad:

What's good armor to make for fighting Brachy? Been running around in HR Wroggi and beefing it up fairly well. Think I have enough Hard Spheres to get one more full round of upgrades off, if it's even worth doing. Was kinda hoping the Jhen fight would've happened by now, honestly. Get all the mats for the ship and then you get no payoff for it for a long time. That the Urgent quest to get into the 9-star stuff?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Is it my imagination or do lance charges burn through sharpness? I could be using the Wroggi set and lance forever, but once I start using the charge rush I can only pull off a couple before I bounce.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Is it my imagination or do lance charges burn through sharpness? I could be using the Wroggi set and lance forever, but once I start using the charge rush I can only pull off a couple before I bounce.

Charging means a lot of hits, which means your sharpness is going down very, very quickly. It's good for a big chunk of damage on a toppled or trapped monster, but just keep in mind that you'll have to sharpen pretty much immediately after. Both types of lance are great weapons, but they can both be hell on sharpness.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Holy poo poo, how many times do I have to smack the Ceadeus' beard to break it? I have no idea how I did it the first time :psyduck:. Alas, Helios set, it was not meant to be... at least until I can get some coop friends. Is there any other way I can get Luminous Organs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Brachydios is one of the more annoying fights because he's cut from the "small and spastic" template instead of "slow and lumbering." The thing about it though is that it felt a lot worse trying to block rather than evade. I switch between greatsword, gunlance and switchaxe and by far and away the switchaxe has been the best weapon to fight him with for me. It's way, way easier to just be evasive; his punches and leaps are pretty predictable, but the problem is, particularly when he's enraged, you'll find a lot of explosions/slimes slipping through blocks because it nicked you in the back or side. The upside is that he's really fragile. It feels like he's got no health at all, so even though you'll only get a good lick in every once in a while, they all count for a lot. You want a lot of speed when fighting him.

• Locked thread