Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If I've learned anything from political cartoons, once employers have to pay their employees more money they will have to fire exactly enough staff so that they are still paying the same amount in labor costs, go immediately out of business or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Sir Rolo posted:

Gays stealing our words.

I'm a DJ and use the word "Groovy" to describe certain types of music all the time. So do other DJs I know.

Why are you so anti-DJ, conservatives?

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Sir Rolo posted:

Gays stealing our words.

Good, I guess Liberal Logic supports civil unions. Either that or they've lost track of what they're mad about and are just spouting non sequiturs.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Radish posted:

If I've learned anything from political cartoons, once employers have to pay their employees more money they will have to fire exactly enough staff so that they are still paying the same amount in labor costs, go immediately out of business or both.

I've also seen "pass 100% of the cost increase on to customers", but yeah, it never occurs to them to run at reduced profits, or reduce salaries for management, or that happier employees are more productive, or that well-paid middle and working classes are the backbone of a healthy economy. Anything which threatens stockholder profits is literally Hitler and/or Satan, and must be opposed tooth and nail. Corporate sociopathy at its best.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Sir Rolo posted:

Help Help I'm being repressed.

Wait, when did the Bible start commanding women to wear skirts to work?

edit: Why did I think this was the picture thread?

V-Men fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 29, 2013

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Radish posted:

And frankly, I'm not sure it's a good thing to have a business model that's predicated on paying your employees poverty level wages. If you can't give your employees a living wage then maybe your business isn't a net positive on the economy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Crackbone posted:

And frankly, I'm not sure it's a good thing to have a business model that's predicated on paying your employees poverty level wages. If you can't give your employees a living wage then maybe your business isn't a net positive on the economy.

I remember some news story a while ago regarding immigration and naturalizing illegal immigrants about a decade ago and a bunch of small business owners were saying if they would go under if they had to hire at American wages. It seems like they aren't running very good businesses if they can't afford to pay the paltry amount we consider minimum wage for people bringing in profit.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Moridin920 posted:

They think raising the minimum wage to liveable levels would cause a 1:1 inflation/wage increase ratio, so in effect no one's real wages would really go up and everything would be more expensive. Nightmare Zimbabwe and Germany inflation scenarios then go nuts in their heads.

They call it Econ 101 to be clever because they heard "when everyone gets more money, it's worth less" in high school, but really they're just mocking themselves because if they really took Econ 101 they'd know better. People earning minimum wage and the prices of stuff don't exist just by themselves in a vacuum.

That analogy would only work in some sort of commune (or economic vacuum hypothetical for the purposes of explaining inflation to new people) where everyone only got paid X and all the prices reflected those wages, but if one day everyone got X + 10, the prices would all increase accordingly so really everyone's purchasing power stays the same.

Exactly. I had a libertarian try to argue about the minimum wage the last time they were going to raise it and he kept saying that the minimum wage might as well just be $1, because literally every penny added to the minimum wage would only result in every other item costing exactly that much more.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

V-Men posted:

edit: Why did I think this was the picture thread?

Pants are "mens' clothing" and I'm sure these people think the Bible prescribes cross-dressing.

e: I think also some Christians think pants are immodest for women because they're more likely to show the shape of the butt or something.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

e_angst posted:

Exactly. I had a libertarian try to argue about the minimum wage the last time they were going to raise it and he kept saying that the minimum wage might as well just be $1, because literally every penny added to the minimum wage would only result in every other item costing exactly that much more.

I remember my high school economics teacher tell the class that the minimum wage is the largest cause of unemployment in thr US and that raising the minimum wage will only increase the number of unemployed.

And my high school was and still is rated 10/10 greatschools... :vomit:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

e_angst posted:

I got in a big facebook slapfight with a friend that seemed to have the same position and was violently opposed to government intervention in the economy, which made me doubly confused when he came down hard against gay marriage and other bedroom things. He also used the thought experiments I used to illustrate my point as strawmen rather than discussing their logic, so I feel I can safely write off anything he has to say on the matter.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Sir Rolo posted:

Help Help I'm being repressed.
Experience suggests that every single headline in this image comes from a right-wing site and has been massively exaggerated to make it sound like a Christian (a conservative Christian of course, because liberal Christians don't count) is being persecuted rather than, you know, being expected to heed the same laws as everyone else.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

V-Men posted:

More like "when did conservatives start defending the right of employees to dress like they want?"

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

It is a pretty Hitler move.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Sir Rolo posted:

The week in LL101:

Gays stealing our words.

This has been a well-documented crisis, it's not any new trend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtaPaQwSQPA

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Jesus christ people are dumb.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Radical Griff posted:

It is a pretty Hitler move.
Easter is named for a pagan Germanic festival held at this time of year (although the name is Northumbrian), it would be the last holiday he would cancel.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Amused to Death posted:

Jesus christ people are dumb.

I want to believe at least some of those people are joking since the concept of a holiday disappearing under Presidential fiat is so crazy. Like a Christmas special where Christmas no longer exists because of evil magic or something.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Speaking as a loathsome atheist, all Easter represents for me is an even more bizarre version of Halloween.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Speaking as a loathsome atheist, all Easter represents for me is an even more bizarre version of Halloween.

Speaking as a loathsome Jew, all Easter represents for me is an opportunity for the Catholic Church to figure out the most mealymouthed way to pray for my salvation and ultimate turn towards "truth" without coming across as anti-semitic.

(Don't worry though. The Lumen Gentium says that both you and I may yet experience the great reward of Catholic salvation, even if we don't convert!)

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Easter represents home made mashed potatoes, which is the ultimate measure of every holiday:colbert:

There's no point in posting any single one, because it keeps popping up, but jesus the Monsanto thing is everywhere. The couple of times though I've seen a version of "While you were busy being distracted with gay marriage, Obama was busy protecting Monsanto" I just respond with "While you were busy being distracted with telling other people they were distracted from things that actually matter, you totally missed the Supreme Court case involving Monsanto and the larger right to patent genes which is far more important than this drat thing"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Easter represents lots of ham and Cadbury Cream Eggs, one of the few candies I actually still enjoy as I've gotten older.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

You know, I was feeling good about my Facebook lately. No homophobic stuff. No blatant racism. No "a shoulder to cry on becomes a dick to ride on" posters from douchebag friends.

And then... this pops up, also getting another six shares from other family members. I really hope it doesn't catch on like that Cosby letter that ~still~ gets floated around. :ohdear:

My mother on Facebook posted:

"Dear President Obama,

My name is Harold Estes, approaching 95 on December 13 of this year. People meeting me for the first time don’t believe my age because I remain wrinkle free and pretty much mentally alert.

I enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1934 and served proudly before, during and after WW II retiring as a Master Chief Bos’n Mate. Now I live in a “rest home” located on the western end of Pearl Harbor, allowing me to keep alive the memories of 23 years of service to my country.

One of the benefits of my age, perhaps the only one, is to speak my mind, blunt and direct even to the head man.

So here goes.

I am amazed, angry and determined not to see my country die before I do, but you seem hell bent not to grant me that wish.

I can’t figure out what country you are the president of.
You fly around the world telling our friends and enemies despicable lies like:

” We’re no longer a Christian nation”
” America is arrogant”

– (Your wife even
announced to the world,” America is mean-spirited. ” Please tell her to try preaching that nonsense to 23 generations of our
war dead buried all over the globe who died for no other reason than to free a whole lot of strangers from tyranny and hopelessness.)

I’d say shame on the both of you, but I don’t think you like America, nor do I see an ounce of gratefulness in anything you do, for the obvious gifts this country has given you. To be without shame or gratefulness is a dangerous thing for a man sitting in the White House.

After 9/11 you said,” America hasn’t lived up to her ideals.”

Which ones did you mean? Was it the notion of personal liberty that 11,000 farmers and shopkeepers died for to win independence from the British? Or maybe the ideal that no man should be a slave to another man, that 500,000 men died for in the Civil War? I hope you didn’t mean the ideal 470,000 fathers, brothers, husbands, and a lot of fellas I knew personally died for in WWII, because we felt real strongly about not letting any nation push us around, because we stand for freedom.

I don’t think you mean the ideal that says equality is better than discrimination. You know the one that a whole lot of white people understood when they helped to get you elected.

Take a little advice from a very old geezer, young man.

Shape up and start acting like an American. If you don’t, I’ll do what I can to see you get shipped out of that fancy rental on Pennsylvania Avenue . You were elected to lead not to bow, apologize and kiss the hands of murderers and corrupt leaders who still treat their people like slaves.

And just who do you think you are telling the American people not to jump to conclusions and condemn that Muslim major who killed 13 of his fellow soldiers and wounded dozens more. You mean you don’t want us to do what you did when that white cop used force to subdue that black college professor in Massachusetts , who was putting up a fight? You don’t mind offending the police calling them stupid but you don’t want us to offend Muslim fanatics by calling them what they are, terrorists.

One more thing. I realize you never served in the military and never had to defend your country with your life, but you’re the Commander-in-Chief now, son. Do your job. When your battle-hardened field General asks you for 40,000 more troops to complete the mission, give them to him. But if you’re not in this fight to win, then get out. The life of one American soldier is not worth the best political strategy you’re thinking of.

You could be our greatest president because you face the greatest challenge ever presented to any president.
You’re not going to restore American greatness by bringing back our bloated economy. That’s not our greatest threat. Losing the heart and soul of who we are as Americans is our big fight now.
And I sure as hell don’t want to think my president is the enemy in this final battle…

Sincerely,
Harold B. Estes"

Generic American fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 30, 2013

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Amused to Death posted:

Easter represents home made mashed potatoes, which is the ultimate measure of every holiday:colbert:

There's no point in posting any single one, because it keeps popping up, but jesus the Monsanto thing is everywhere. The couple of times though I've seen a version of "While you were busy being distracted with gay marriage, Obama was busy protecting Monsanto" I just respond with "While you were busy being distracted with telling other people they were distracted from things that actually matter, you totally missed the Supreme Court case involving Monsanto and the larger right to patent genes which is far more important than this drat thing"
Not necessarily in relation to the Monsanto Protection Act, but I have been seeing this kind of smug "while you were being distracted by same-sex-marriage" preamble around. As if, much like the President or Congress, we are literally incapable of thinking or caring about more than one thing at a time.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/eastereggroll

Seems to be happening this year.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Generic American posted:

You know, I was feeling good about my Facebook lately. No homophobic stuff. No blatant racism. No "a shoulder to cry on becomes a dick to ride on" posters from douchebag friends.

And then... this pops up, also getting another six shares from other family members. I really hope it doesn't catch on like that Cosby letter that ~still~ gets floated around. :ohdear:

Too bad Harold B. Estes wasn't stationed on the USS Arizona.

quote:

Take a little advice from a very old geezer, young man.

HAHA no grizzled old man on Earth actually talks like this. Its literally what a sheltered middle aged person thinks an old person would say.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 30, 2013

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/haroldestes.asp

In an amazing first, the page long ramblings of an old man actually were correctly attributed!

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Generic American posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Vji-zxA_o

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
My father-in-law is staying with us for Easter. He's hooked in hardcore into the Limbaugh/Beck feed 24/7 and keeps trying to bait me into getting into an argument. But the plus side is I finally have confirmation right wingers literally think Obama is setting up concentration camps.

He was talking to me about how the local gun shop is out of 22LR (this is true). He said it's because manufacturers are out, because the DHS just made a purchase of 1 billion 22 LR shells, more than were used in the entire Iraq War, allegedly for "target practice." I staid silent, because nothing will ever convince him and we're trying to have a nice family day. He then added that if you do the math, that's about 3 bullets for every person in the US. "Makes you wonder what they're planning on doing with all that?"

My wife, who used to be right-wing but is now pretty centrist, said "What are you getting at? You can't think they're going to kill everyone in America." "No no, I think they probably just did it so that no one else would be allowed to buy any bullets. They're buying up all the bullets, as a defacto work-around the 2nd Amendment. But what does worry me is all the Armored Personal Carriers they just bought. What're they going to do with those?"

It was only by the strongest willpower that I was not rolling my eyes and scoffing aloud.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Generic American posted:

I like how he's mad at Obama for saying America is arrogant, and goes on to say that we should all be more jingoistic. Also taking a statement about how America is not exclusively Christian out of context.

And ah yes, jumping to conclusions about what a white cop did to a black guy, because that's not a problem in real life!

Also, the ONLY way to support ARE TROOPS :911: is to make them fight even more for something that we're going to assume is worthwhile because of reasons.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

XyloJW posted:

My father-in-law is staying with us for Easter. He's hooked in hardcore into the Limbaugh/Beck feed 24/7 and keeps trying to bait me into getting into an argument. But the plus side is I finally have confirmation right wingers literally think Obama is setting up concentration camps.

He was talking to me about how the local gun shop is out of 22LR (this is true). He said it's because manufacturers are out, because the DHS just made a purchase of 1 billion 22 LR shells, more than were used in the entire Iraq War, allegedly for "target practice." I staid silent, because nothing will ever convince him and we're trying to have a nice family day. He then added that if you do the math, that's about 3 bullets for every person in the US. "Makes you wonder what they're planning on doing with all that?"

My wife, who used to be right-wing but is now pretty centrist, said "What are you getting at? You can't think they're going to kill everyone in America." "No no, I think they probably just did it so that no one else would be allowed to buy any bullets. They're buying up all the bullets, as a defacto work-around the 2nd Amendment. But what does worry me is all the Armored Personal Carriers they just bought. What're they going to do with those?"

It was only by the strongest willpower that I was not rolling my eyes and scoffing aloud.

Doesn't your wife say "Dad! YOU PROMISED!" when stuff like this happens?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Well good luck with all that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
"Mr. Predident"?

Jesus christ 5 seconds of spellcheck could save you from looking even dumber.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Parachute posted:

Well good luck with all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9UpK_uAPwI&t=75s

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Well their police academy apparently doubles for a sports store so what can you expect in terms of education?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Well it may be a photoshop that is misattributed and with poor spelling and grammar, but I think it raises some very valid points! Just asking questions, and really makes you think!

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Well it may be a photoshop that is misattributed and with poor spelling and grammar, but I think it raises some very valid points! Just asking questions, and really makes you think!

It makes me think if they're trying to protect their guns, they shouldn't gather together in a condensed spot that one B2 can completely annihilate. Seems like bad fighting tactics. Then again what do I know, this is just liberal logic.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

XyloJW posted:

I wonder what he thinks the government will do with a billion rounds of ammo that aren't compatible with any of the guns they use.
Every sporting goods store in the US is out of .22LR, 5.56 and 7.62 because gun nuts are snapping up every box that hits shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
AHAHAH yeah, Obama is going to send his blue helmets armed to the teeth with their .22 rodent hunter rifles to kill all white people.