Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

You seem fairly convinced that you need a UWA lens to properly take interior shots of your bar, and I'm not sure that's the case. I mean, yeah, you can capture everything all at once in one big shot, and it might make things look big and spacious, but unless you're really careful in your composition and planning, you could end up with a shot that's just confusing or jarring to the viewer.

edit: I'd recommend borrowing/renting equipment before investing too much in one platform or idea. High ISO and wide-angle isn't a solve-all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

Also the Sigma 35mm f1.4 is about the same price as the Canon 35mm f2.
I thought the 35/2 was like $600 and the sigma 1k. Turns out they're both ~900.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is the 1.4 a huge upgrade over the 1.8? Or are you mostly just letting in one additional stop of light and all the ancillary benefits that go with that?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

beergod posted:

Is the 1.4 a huge upgrade over the 1.8? Or are you mostly just letting in one additional stop of light and all the ancillary benefits that go with that?

Which one? Nikon’s 35 mm f/1.8? It’s a DX lens and won’t work properly on FX cameras.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And the first party 1.4 are not actually that good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:negative: Just bought my first real L lens.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

There's no hope for you anymore.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

And the first party 1.4 are not actually that good.

Always rock the 1.4, shoot charts all day.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Casu Marzu posted:

Slippery slope, my friend.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

pseudonordic posted:

Slippery slope, my friend.

Yeeeeeeep. Already sliding pretty fast. Bought a 100 2.8 USM last month, realized how much I loved having actually good, quiet AF and it was all downhill from there. :sigh:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeeeeeeep. Already sliding pretty fast. Bought a 100 2.8 USM last month, realized how much I loved having actually good, quiet AF and it was all downhill from there. :sigh:

What L did you buy?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Shmoogy posted:

What L did you buy?

Just a 70-200 F4. I missed too many photos this last weekend due to the wonky AF in my sigma, so it's time to move on.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I'd like to see where you are in 2 years, gear wise. That was also mine (and a lot/most) first L lens.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Shmoogy posted:

I'd like to see where you are in 2 years, gear wise. That was also mine (and a lot/most) first L lens.

:negative: I'm guessing something like a 10-20mm zoom, 70-200 zoom, and 30/50/100/400mm primes considering what I have been shooting over the course of the last couple years already.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 26, 2013

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Shmoogy posted:

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm guessing something like a 10-20mm zoom, 70-200 zoom, and 30/50/100/400mm primes considering what I have been shooting over the course of the last couple years already.

Same question, but instead of "gear wise" I'm curious about everything else - with that much top-level gear I'm wondering whether you'll be living in a 'fridge box, or a dumpster. :v:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

ExecuDork posted:

Same question, but instead of "gear wise" I'm curious about everything else - with that much top-level gear I'm wondering whether you'll be living in a 'fridge box, or a dumpster. :v:

Surely they'd be living in their technologically superior Canon L cardboard ? That stuff can probably handle -40 windchills and you'll feel toasty warm, snug and smug inside :)

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

If you turn that box into a living pinhole camera, that would be so paper. :snoop:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Just a 70-200 F4. I missed too many photos this last weekend due to the wonky AF in my sigma, so it's time to move on.

It's probably the best bang for the buck of the L glass. I really liked mine (until I dropped it :negative:).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

It's fun/embarrassing to watch my progression in the Canon thread. I started posting in there in 2010 when I unloaded my 20D in hopes of a 60D; instead ended up getting a 7D. Then I got some L-glass. Then I got the 5D Mark III.

I'm afraid to see where I go next. shut up woot fatigue! don't you dare say TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm afraid to see where I go next. shut up woot fatigue! don't you dare say TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II

He doesn't have to say it because you said it to yourself already. You've been incepted dun dun dun.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

I don't drink, I don't do drugs, my only hobby I really spend money on is photography. I dunno if I'll have all those in 2 years, but I should have at least a couple primes under my belt by then.

Also I have the 50/100 primes and the 70-200 already. The 30mm and 400 5.6 aren't horribly priced either.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 27, 2013

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's fun/embarrassing to watch my progression in the Canon thread. I started posting in there in 2010 when I unloaded my 20D in hopes of a 60D; instead ended up getting a 7D. Then I got some L-glass. Then I got the 5D Mark III.

That's why I asked- pretty much the same for me:

1000D -> 1D2 ->1D2+ 5D2 (and some other nex,fuji mirrorlesses) -> (?? 5D3/1D4)
18-55 + 70-300 -> 17-50 tamron + 50 1.8 + 70-200 4 -> 35L + 20-35L + 24 TS-E + 70-200 2.8 IS II

e: I forgot a few lenses including zeiss 35/2, 85 1.8, 100L that were bought, used for a while, and sold.

I like swapping gear out when I have time to play with things.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That's the other thing I didn't think about I guess. My 60D is alright, but I already see why I'd love a 1D or 7D. I could see myself upgrading in the next year or two to a new body. :sigh:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
My path is kinda weird.

Canon 40D -> Canon 60D -> Canon 60D + Canon 40D
17-50 F2.8 -> 17-50 F2.8 + 70-200 F4 -> 70-200 F4 + 24-70 F2.8

Yep, liked the 40D that much. That was all in 4 years.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Casu Marzu posted:

I don't drink, I don't do drugs, my only hobby I really spend money on is photography.

You sound boring at parties. Wait, do you have like a van you could use to drive around us funhavers? That would be cool.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

That's the other thing I didn't think about I guess. My 60D is alright, but I already see why I'd love a 1D or 7D. I could see myself upgrading in the next year or two to a new body. :sigh:

There's nothing to really feel bad about. Buy what you can afford and what makes you happy.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

8th-samurai posted:

You sound boring at parties. Wait, do you have like a van you could use to drive around us funhavers? That would be cool.

Yep. I'm pretty boring these days.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

Yep. I'm pretty boring these days.

It's better to be boring and sober, than boring and drinking loads. It's easier to get sober bores to shut up.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
my first L was the 70-300.

I started in 2010 with a T2i, 70-300 IS USM, Tammy 17-50 nonVC, and 100mm USM macro

2011: sold the T2i and 70-300 -> 60D + 70-300L, later + 50/1.8

2012: sold the Tamron 17-50, 100mm USM Macro,
bought Sigma 8-16, + Sigma 30 1.4, + 40mm 2.8, + 17-40L, + 100L macro

so far nothing this year... so far.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

BetterLekNextTime posted:

my first L was the 70-300.

I started in 2010 with a T2i, 70-300 IS USM, Tammy 17-50 nonVC, and 100mm USM macro

2011: sold the T2i and 70-300 -> 60D + 70-300L, later + 50/1.8

2012: sold the Tamron 17-50, 100mm USM Macro,
bought Sigma 8-16, + Sigma 30 1.4, + 40mm 2.8, + 17-40L, + 100L macro

so far nothing this year... so far.

sounds like full frame is in your near future :getin:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm getting out of film and into digital, and I'm trying to make the decision between Nikon (which I know and have used in the past), Canon, or a beefy M4/3 setup like an OM-D.

Am I right in thinking that Canon is lacking in the primes area? I know with Nikon I had a bunch of G lenses, AF-D lenses, AI, AIS, whatever I wanted to use, but the selection doesn't seem to be there with Canon, they seem to focus more on zooms. Am I wrong there?

With the 800 or so that I'm looking to spend, I'm thinking of a 50D and a Tamron 17-50 (399 + 300 or so). The other option is a Nikon D90 + Tamron 17-50.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

FYI you can get a 40D for ~$200 these days, and it performs on par with the 50D if you don't need megapixels for megapixels' sake. Use the money you save to get a 40mm pancake, which is awesome.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

QPZIL posted:

Am I right in thinking that Canon is lacking in the primes area? I know with Nikon I had a bunch of G lenses, AF-D lenses, AI, AIS, whatever I wanted to use, but the selection doesn't seem to be there with Canon, they seem to focus more on zooms. Am I wrong there?

Dead wrong.

Canon has something like 41 primes currently being sold.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Noted on both accounts! Canon has been calling me with its sweet siren song, but my photographer ex-gf blinded me to the ways of Nikon and I never looked back :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What primes do you want?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Doesn't matter which anymore, since the best primes aren't Canon or Nikon anyways. ~sigma~

Canon for AF, Nikon for ISO and DR.

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 30, 2013

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Mightaswell posted:

Doesn't matter which anymore, since the best primes aren't Canon or Nikon anyways. ~sigma~

Canon for AF, Nikon for ISO and DR.

Your whole post is confusing, since Sigma lenses have some of the most bipolar focusing tendencies of any modern AF lenses.

Also, Nikon bodies, even the entry-level ones have AF systems that surpass anything Canon except for the 5d3 and 1dx.

And I guess you're right about Nikons having better ISO and DR, but it's a Sony sensor, so...

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

bobfather posted:

Your whole post is confusing, since Sigma lenses have some of the most bipolar focusing tendencies of any modern AF lenses.

Also, Nikon bodies, even the entry-level ones have AF systems that surpass anything Canon except for the 5d3 and 1dx.

And I guess you're right about Nikons having better ISO and DR, but it's a Sony sensor, so...

For the sigma's, I'm referring to the new 35mm, 50 and 85 1.4's. which personally I would choose over the first party counterparts.

Also maybe the AF is a bit of a generalization but the 7d beats anything Nikon has in crop, and the 5d3 beats anything short of a d4. I guess a d700 has better AF than a 5d2 so, eh. Rock Paper Scissors.

The last generation of Nikon sensors are made by Sony, Toshiba or Nikon depending on the body.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

This is a match made in some unholy hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mightaswell posted:

For the sigma's, I'm referring to the new 35mm, 50 and 85 1.4's. which personally I would choose over the first party counterparts.

Also maybe the AF is a bit of a generalization but the 7d beats anything Nikon has in crop, and the 5d3 beats anything short of a d4. I guess a d700 has better AF than a 5d2 so, eh. Rock Paper Scissors.

The last generation of Nikon sensors are made by Sony, Toshiba or Nikon depending on the body.

Shut up and go shoot pictures. (also everyone knows if it aint a Leica, go home)