Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Peanut President posted:

No goddamn way the Marlins have less than 100 losses this year.
It's actually kinda hard to lose 100 games outright. They'll probably do it but I wouldn't be stunned if they only lost 95 or something. Now Hoston, on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

It's easier for the Marlins since they can just sell players if they start to win too many games.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Any sort of statistically-minded projection system is going to cluster teams toward the mean. I think those low-end projections are much more likely than the NL being without a single 90-win team. I mean, take a look at the standings projected there:

Apologies if I gently caress up my subtraction and get a number of losses wrong.

NL West
1. Dodgers (85-77)
2t. Diamondbacks (84-78)
2t. Giants (84-78)
4. Rockies (80-82)
5. Padres (76-86)

NL Central
1. Reds (86-76)
2. Cardinals (84-78)
3t. Pirates (80-82)
3t. Brewers (80-82)
5. Cubs (78-84)

NL East
1t. Nationals (88-74)
1t. Braves (88-74)
3. Phillies (83-79)
4. Mets (74-88)
5. Marlins (68-94)

AL West
1. Angels (90-72)
2. Rangers (89-73)
3. Athletics (82-80)
4. Mariners (74-88)
5. Astros (64-98)

AL Central
1. Tigers (94-68)
2t. White Sox (80-82)
2t. Royals (80-82)
4. Indians (75-87)
5. Twins (70-92)

AL East
1t. Blue Jays (85-77)
1t. Rays (85-77)
1t. Yankees (85-77)
4. Red Sox (84-78)
5. Orioles (75-87)

So, in the National League we have the Dodgers winning the NL West with 85 wins, one game above both the Giants and D-backs, who are then part of a three-way tie for the 2nd Wild Card. Four teams--the Phillies, Pirates, Brewers, and Rockies--are within four games. Meanwhile, the Nationals and Braves are potentially playing a one-game playoff to determine who wins the division and who's forced into the lovely wildcard round. The Pirates go 80-82 and I kill myself.

The AL is even more insane, as it features a three-way tie for the AL East title--which, mind you, really matters now that there's a dumb wildcard play-in. But at least there's a consolation prize, as the 2nd Wild Card goes to one of those three teams as well. The Red Sox are one game back of this madness; I believe if they'd won another game, the rules of baseball require a Fatal Four-Way match to determine the division champion.

Overall, two divisions finish with a tie for 1st, two more have only a one-game difference, and the NL Central is decided by just two games. Also the Tigers win the AL Central by 14. :laugh:

So basically what I'm saying is that we should pray to Base Ba'al that Dave Cameron's predictions are correct (except the Pirates win two more games).

e: 20 of 30 teams win between 80 and 90 games, inclusive.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 28, 2013

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

We interrupt your story of weird leather fetishes and WAR additions to bring you this, from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Bernie Miklasz. On the Adam Wainwright extension:

A guy who's smart enough to know better posted:

We can talk about Wainwright the pitcher and his value on the mound. Generally speaking, I believe that all of the “good in the clubhouse” talk is overblown. We sportswriters tend to whip up these narratives and pump them until the point of absurdity. But in this case, the intangibles do matter when assessing Wainwright’s value to this team.

"People talking about clubhouse chemistry are dumb and it's a dumb narrative. Now let me tell you about the value of Adam Wainwright's clubhouse intangibles."

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
What do you guys think of these video baseball cards of bloggers MLB The Show is tweeting out?

Couple of names I recognize-

Joe Sheehan
Jon Morosi

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

ZerodotJander posted:

What do you guys think of these video baseball cards of bloggers MLB The Show is tweeting out?

Couple of names I recognize-

Joe Sheehan
Jon Morosi

I loving love that they apparently just took a bunch of random baseball people - some national writers, some beat writers, some bloggers - and put them in their game. Did they tell these people first or what? Also loving their social media strategy of replying to basically anyone who talks about the game. Sure, a lot of people talk about all the time, but I imagine social media whatever-er isn't a particularly exciting job and it shows "good interaction" with their demographic or whatever.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Somehow this utterly forgettable SB nation post

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/28/4155656/heat-bulls-white-people-so-white-oh-my-lord

became a flashpoint for "how come there's no WHITE entertainment television" idiots. Like, way beyond the usual "don't read the comments" garden variety racism.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

ElwoodCuse posted:

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/28/4155656/heat-bulls-white-people-so-white-oh-my-lord

became a flashpoint for "how come there's no WHITE entertainment television" idiots. Like, way beyond the usual "don't read the comments" garden variety racism.

Oh please do read the comments because a bunch of twitter miscreants decided to defend the author by trolling the comments with ROLL TIDE PAWWL.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
If that column was a Something Awful front page article people would either chortle or call it dumb and move on, because that's exactly the style it's written in. The Internet is still so sheltered and dumb.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ElwoodCuse posted:

Mad heat fans.txt

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ElwoodCuse posted:

2770 comments. My god.

"I'm white and offended.

Not as a white man, but as a human being."

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Attention White People: Shut The gently caress Up.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

haljordan posted:

Especially Doug Gottlieb

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

haljordan posted:

ElwoodCuse posted:

Especially Doug Gottlieb

I feel like this should be the slogan of America or something.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Grant Brisbee linked to this post from another SB blog this morning that's a response to the comments insanity, have some more :stare:

http://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2013/3/29/4159344/going-dark

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I think we have to call Dennis Latta and revoke that Saltiest Tears award

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Oh my god.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
the original SBN article was lazy, unfunny, and incredibly stupid but definitely not worthy of the reaction it has received

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Yeah calm down white folks, you still run everything in the western world.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

leokitty posted:

Grant Brisbee linked to this post from another SB blog this morning that's a response to the comments insanity, have some more :stare:

http://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2013/3/29/4159344/going-dark

Woof. What a clusterfuck.

(Also, I'm obviously not making any accusations, but I find it funny that it's the German Bundesliga blog that took offense at the article.)

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
"But I wanna be oppressed tooooooo!" -white people

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

zakharov posted:

"But I wanna be oppressed tooooooo!" -white people

After seeing how outraged some white folk get in traffic court over a speeding ticket (when they were guilty as gently caress), I would looooooooove to have them go through the poo poo minorities have to deal with on a daily basis on the road.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I don't understand anything about racism, other than the misled belief that it's when people mock/hate others for their skin colour, rather than systematic oppression/privilege. Therefore, I don't want to raise my children in a world where a white person can't even walk down the street without getting told "have you ever noticed, white guys walk like this."

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

swizz posted:

the original SBN article was lazy, unfunny, and incredibly stupid but definitely not worthy of the reaction it has received

Yeah basically this, though I do think "goofy-rear end fan photos" should be something that is embraced more fully, because it seems like a potential goldmine.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yeah basically this, though I do think "goofy-rear end fan photos" should be something that is embraced more fully, because it seems like a potential goldmine.

And let's face it, stodgy old white guys jumping up and down and yelling is always humorous.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

swizz posted:

If Jon Bois had written it, people would have laughed or not given a gently caress, or he would have properly snarked back at them. But it was another dude from Progressive Boink, so it's a tragedy.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

haljordan posted:

And let's face it, stodgy old white guys jumping up and down and yelling is always humorous.

Oh absolutely. I didn't find the article itself funny at all, but I found the picture itself pretty hilarious and the outrage unbelievably overblown.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Badfinger posted:

If Jon Bois had written it, people would have laughed or not given a gently caress, or he would have properly snarked back at them. But it was another dude from Progressive Boink, so it's a tragedy.

Because I'm the world's biggest idiot I've been reading through the comments on and off all day; It seems the big influx of crazy white dudes happened because it was linked to from Yahoo's home page?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Guess who picked up on the story? :getin:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/03/29/the_polarization_of_america_on_display_in_ncaa_tournament_coverage

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yahoo commentors are, even by the standards of internent comments, exceptionally crazy and racist so that would make sense.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

leokitty posted:

Because I'm the world's biggest idiot I've been reading through the comments on and off all day; It seems the big influx of crazy white dudes happened because it was linked to from Yahoo's home page?

Yep. That's exactly what happened. As an SB Nation contributor though, I want to know what the gently caress the author used to get the story noticed via tags and whatnot :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure that's how the linking works anyway; there's a button in the article editor that says "promote beyond community" that you can click, and it means that sometimes via tag and summary linking can occur. As an example, one of my pieces got put on SI.com that way once.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yep. That's exactly what happened. As an SB Nation contributor though, I want to know what the gently caress the author used to get the story noticed via tags and whatnot :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure that's how the linking works anyway; there's a button in the article editor that says "promote beyond community" that you can click, and it means that sometimes via tag and summary linking can occur. As an example, one of my pieces got put on SI.com that way once.

The author is a fairly big deal on twitter.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The Heat lost to the Bulls, boy their fans are old white people, god I hate old white people. Thankfully, there are no old white people in Miami, no sir.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Frot Lesnar posted:

The author is a fairly big deal on twitter.

Oh okay then. The whole thing is just weird though. Guy writes stupid and unfunny but ultimately harmless blog post about goofy old white dudes at a Bulls game and now all of a sudden Rush loving Limbaugh is weighing in. :stare:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh okay then. The whole thing is just weird though. Guy writes stupid and unfunny but ultimately harmless blog post about goofy old white dudes at a Bulls game and now all of a sudden Rush loving Limbaugh is weighing in. :stare:

Why do you hate fat people?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
That article would never be written if it was about the rich old black people who go to NBA games. Really makes you think.

(That's because there are no rich old black people :ssh:)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Great, now I gotta make sure my opinion is the exact opposite of that fat junkie shithead.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Frot Lesnar posted:

Why do you hate fat people?

Oh god I didn't even think about that. :lol:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Peanut President posted:

(That's because there are no rich old black people :ssh:)

According to what I've heard on the internet, they undergo a transformation and turn into old white people.

It happened to Michael Jackson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Frot Lesnar posted:

Why do you hate closeted gay people?