Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Killmaster posted:

This is a great app. One bit of feedback:

When marking a thread as read, can you make it mark through the post before instead of including that post as read? I often only get halfway through some of the longer posts and it's annoying having to scroll all the way back to the previous post so I don't lose it.

There used to be a setting to show one previous unread post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Killmaster posted:

When marking a thread as read, can you make it mark through the post before instead of including that post as read? I often only get halfway through some of the longer posts and it's annoying having to scroll all the way back to the previous post so I don't lose it.

It's an annoying feature. Half the time it does what I want, and half the time it doesn't. Awful follows the Forums' lead here, so it's consistent with how the site works. Anything else would make things even more confusing.

That said, would

withak posted:

There used to be a setting to show one previous unread post.
be helpful for you? I took that setting out once you could tap "previous posts" and instantly load the read posts on a page; before you had to reload the whole page over the network. But I hadn't considered your problem.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

I really liked the "load last read post" option because not only could it be the post you came back to if it was super long, but it also helped you to get your bearings in the thread again. Sometimes I'll go back to a thread and wonder what in the hell people are talking about, so I load previous posts, which isn't a big deal, but I did like that previous post showing up. It's a personal preference thing for me that has a really easy work around, so no worries if you ultimately decide not to bring the feature back. :) You do good work, pokeyman, so I trust your judgement on which features should be excluded to make the app run more smoothly.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo

pokeyman posted:

I took that setting out once you could tap "previous posts" and instantly load the read posts on a page; before you had to reload the whole page over the network. But I hadn't considered your problem.

I get that Awful follows the main forum on this, but I'd like for the "show last post marked read" option to return. I sometimes have trouble remembering that I'm marking a post as the last one I've read, as it's more natural for me to think of it as "pick up from this post when I come back to this thread".

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names
Thanks for making such a well put together app. The YOSPOS stylesheets make browsing in-app better than via the regular forums. Great job, Nolan.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Any timeline on the next update and what it'll include?

My favourite sub forums not being alphabetically ordered is annoying me more than it should.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Chuck Bartowski posted:

My favourite sub forums not being alphabetically ordered is annoying me more than it should.

Favorites are fixed, though you'll have to do the alphabetical ordering yourself :) No timeline, there's nothing big left to do just a bunch of odds and ends.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Two words: Private Messages.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That would be awesome!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
:stare::fh:

Having to load up Safari for those sucks, even on an ipad.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

pseudonordic posted:

Two words: Private Messages.

Two words: gently caress. Yes.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
1.11.0-6:

Still can't tell the diff between read and unread posts in Dark Mode.
Orange bookmark unread post indicator is.... different.

IP-based forums switched over flawlessly for me!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

Still can't tell the diff between read and unread posts in Dark Mode.

I've just (re)fixed this. It was fixed earlier, and then somehow broke again. It's a little hard to see, but if you really need a way to tell the difference for the time being, the "•••" button should still be a different color.

pseudonordic posted:

Orange bookmark unread post indicator is.... different.

That's for consistency with the site. The color of those unread bubbles have matched the bookmarks colors for a while except that when the blue bookmarks switched to orange in January they stayed blue in the app until now. Honestly I'm not sure that that consistency is important though, and everyone knows it's ugly. Pokeyman's gonna have to make the final call on which way to go with it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maybe there's something close or poo poo I don't know. I'm sure everyone will get used to it the new colors used are still disgusting regardless.

Also the post shadows could probably be a little light eh?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Diabolik900 posted:

That's for consistency with the site.

To be honest, I haven't read unmodified forums in years since SALR for Firefox was introduced. I have no clue what the plain forums look like anymore.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

The color of those unread bubbles have matched the bookmarks colors for a while except that when the blue bookmarks switched to orange in January they stayed blue in the app until now. Honestly I'm not sure that that consistency is important though, and everyone knows it's ugly. Pokeyman's gonna have to make the final call on which way to go with it.

My goal for Awful is for it to be better than Safari. So it's gotta be at least as good. Mismatched bookmark colours makes the app worse than Safari.

On the bright side, the bar couldn't be much lower for Awful when it comes to bookmark colours.

(The corollary to Awful trying to better Safari: if the Forums become way more usable in Safari, we're done here!)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
1.11.0-6, new bug. Log out causes a crash. You probably already have it via autoreporting but here's my console output:

2013-04-02 03:26:56 +0000 Awful *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: 'Object's persistent store is not reachable from this NSManagedObjectContext's coordinator'
*** First throw call stack:
(0x314692a3 0x3918697f 0x31268039 0x31262ca7 0x31228edf 0x31229743 0x9ae41 0x9aa1f 0x332bc54d 0x332af025 0x332a9d79 0x332a8d27 0x332a5bf9 0x3343d2b5 0x9a0cf 0x313ba037 0x31cd0599 0x31cd405b 0x86007 0x8d2ff 0xdc2f1 0x33286ab3 0x332fb8ef 0x33030c01 0x3959d4b7 0x395a21bd 0x3143cf3b 0x313afebd 0x313afd49 0x34f862eb 0x332c5301 0x8b157 0x84960)

As for the bookmark colors, I don't actually use them. I now know they're an option and through fiddling with them tonight I know that by default everything is flagged orange, but I don't have them enabled in my user options so why push them into my interface?

Would it be possible to default to blue or have a user picked color if bookmark colors aren't enabled in the user's options?

Edit: I guess I just don't understand why a hitherto unknown-to-me forum feature that I don't use in normal forums usage is being pushed onto my mobile usage.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 2, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

pseudonordic posted:

Edit: I guess I just don't understand why a hitherto unknown-to-me forum feature that I don't use in normal forums usage is being pushed onto my mobile usage.

It's been pushed on to your mobile usage for months if not years, you just didn't realize it :)

edit: That said, Awful's loving up when that option is set to "no", so I'll fix that up for sure.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 2, 2013

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
A suggestion: an option to trigger a warning if you hit the cancel button while writing a post. I've accidentally fat fingered it several times and have been forced to rewrite the whole post several times.

This app rules and I love y'all for making it and keeping it updated. :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

EC posted:

A suggestion: an option to trigger a warning if you hit the cancel button while writing a post. I've accidentally fat fingered it several times and have been forced to rewrite the whole post several times.

This app rules and I love y'all for making it and keeping it updated. :allears:

Seconding this. If there's any text in the reply field, it'd be nice to have to confirm backing out.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pokeyman posted:

It's been pushed on to your mobile usage for months if not years, you just didn't realize it :)

edit: That said, Awful's loving up when that option is set to "no", so I'll fix that up for sure.

Could the "no bookmark color" option still show blue to keep the color in line with the title bar across the page? :3: Orange just looks wrong.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Have you not yet realized we're redesigning the app to mess with you as much as possible? We won't be happy unless you move back to mobile safari!

( No we're actively discussing what's best to do because none of us like the colors but know that for people using them we need to move to what the site uses. Probably going to do blue if it can be detected that the user has the option disabled. )

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Just to speak up for the possible silent majority here: I have been using bookmark coloring since it was introduced and would very much like to keep it. Thanks.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Beelzebozo posted:

Just to speak up for the possible silent majority here: I have been using bookmark coloring since it was introduced and would very much like to keep it. Thanks.

It's not going anywhere, don't worry.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Beelzebozo posted:

I don't think bookmark coloring will go away, but right now it's implemented and working whether you have it enabled forum-side or not. I didn't realize the color of the unread posts indicator on the bookmarks page was due to the bookmark coloring feature of the forums, I just thought it was part of the UI. I don't have bookmark coloring enabled and I don't see myself using it, so I would be forever grateful if what I had previously assumed was the "default" look of Awful was used for the UI for those who don't currently use the coloring feature. (Or somehow made available as an option :3:)

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah, I use the colored bookmarks too and blue for those with it off with yellow-red-orange for those that use it would be best.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I don't know if this has been reported before, but I recently came across a spoiler tag that only contained a link. On clicking the spoiler it followed the link (not revealing the text). When going back to the thread the link text was revealed but I could neither click to hide the text nor re-follow the link.

iOS 6.1

Test:
SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

FreshFeesh posted:

I don't know if this has been reported before, but I recently came across a spoiler tag that only contained a link. On clicking the spoiler it followed the link (not revealing the text). When going back to the thread the link text was revealed but I could neither click to hide the text nor re-follow the link.

iOS 6.1

Test:
SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM

Thought I'd fixed that but nope, I haven't. Good catch!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Since I made a big stink about it, I figured I'd poke at all the thread color stuff in 1.11.0-7.

If the option is turned off, the bookmarks screen shows all the unread post indicators in blue (:holy:).

If the option is turned on and no colors are changed from the default, the bookmarks screen shows all the unread post indicators in blue but the default forums color is orange. Works as described in the changelog.

If the option is turned on and at least one color is changed from orange, the bookmarks screen shows all the unread post indicators show the correct colors.

For the record, grey is not a valid color. It is "unbookmark the thread." I lost (and rebookmarked) two threads trying to figure that one out :v:

Also, logging out works again!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to make the app sort threads with replies above threads without new replies in the bookmarks? Like how SALR and the android app can do?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Is there any way to make the app sort threads with replies above threads without new replies in the bookmarks? Like how SALR and the android app can do?

I've been meaning to post and ask that same thing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Not yet, it's on the list!

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Just wanted to say the picture function works like a treat now. Thanks for the app!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Just wanted to say the picture function works like a treat now. Thanks for the app!

Haha this might be the first unsolicited report of that working. I'm so glad to hear it!

(I'm sure I've managed to break it in the next version...)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pokeyman posted:

Haha this might be the first unsolicited report of that working. I'm so glad to hear it!

(I'm sure I've managed to break it in the next version...)

Testing picture function, 1.11.0-7!

Edit: worked on the first go!

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 7, 2013

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any road map on the rap sheet being implemented?

Edit: also what's this mean?

quote:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** -[__NSCFConstantString stringByAppendingString:]: nil argument'
*** First throw call stack:
(0x35cda88f 0x338fe259 0x35cda789 0x35cda7ab 0x3506b111 0x69297 0x5fecd 0xb01f1 0x34067c59 0x34072e91 0x35cad2ad 0x35c304a5 0x35c3036d 0x339cb439 0x33408cd5 0x4f477 0x48c80)

I got it when I tried to quote a post

Edit 2: it seems the thread I was trying to reply to was gassed between me opening it and me hitting quote. I guess that causes crashes.

Cryptic Edge fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 9, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Cryptic Edge posted:

Any road map on the rap sheet being implemented?

Edit: also what's this mean?

I got it when I tried to quote a post

Edit 2: it seems the thread I was trying to reply to was gassed between me opening it and me hitting quote. I guess that causes crashes.

I saw that crash report, thanks for filling me in on what happened. I'll fix it up. I might be too lazy to parse error messages from the Forums but crashes are no good.

No roadmap for the rap sheet but it's on the list!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
In landscape mode on my iPhone 4, pull for next page does not work. There is not enough vertical space for it to register. The page scrolls up but just bounces back when released.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Javid posted:

In landscape mode on my iPhone 4, pull for next page does not work. There is not enough vertical space for it to register. The page scrolls up but just bounces back when released.

Does it work if you pull oh-so-incredibly slowly from just above the bottom toolbar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Would it be much of a hassle to add iCloud support so your favorites sync across devices? (If this isn't already in the works)

• Locked thread