Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We need anti-drone drones clearly. I wonder if drones will evolve just like planes did. First used for observation, then bombing, then finally something specifically designed to take out the planes observing and bombing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Surveillance (coastal, electronic, shadowing the movements of other nations' ships and subs, etc.) and espionage (undersea cable tapping, etc) are two of the primary missions of sub fleets during peacetime.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Baronjutter posted:

We need anti-drone drones clearly. I wonder if drones will evolve just like planes did. First used for observation, then bombing, then finally something specifically designed to take out the planes observing and bombing.

I fail to see any reason they won't follow that path. And ditto goes for detection and evasion and disabling, etc. etc.

In the future, wars will be fought against robots with robots and the first side to run out of money and resources to build more robots nukes the other one or something. The end.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

孙子曰:The wars of the future will not be fought on the battlefield or at sea. They will be fought in space, or possibly on top of a very tall mountain. In either case, most of the actual fighting will be done by small robots. And as you go forth today remember always your duty is clear: To build and maintain those robots.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Paper Mac posted:

Surveillance (coastal, electronic, shadowing the movements of other nations' ships and subs, etc.) and espionage (undersea cable tapping, etc) are two of the primary missions of sub fleets during peacetime.

These roles are not a substitute for aircraft. A submarine isn't very good at taking pictures or intercepting radio traffic.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So is restoring the air traffic controllers a step by step "put back" off parts of the sequester or is it going to lock everything in because they take away the most odious of the cuts?

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

VideoTapir posted:

These roles are not a substitute for aircraft. A submarine isn't very good at taking pictures or intercepting radio traffic.

Depends how they're equipped and what you want them to do. Sturgeons were succesful SIGINT platforms for decades, and they were operating in environments where the US sure as hell couldn't keep an aircraft on station for weeks.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Hello, China thread. I am bringing you a big post of current events. First:

Hong Kong Foreign Domestic Workers

Manila agencies are once again sending workers to Hong Kong after Hong Kong agencies agree to stop charging the maids placement fees.

And more hilarious comments on the permanent residency case:

rease.92 posted:

What would happen if all foreign domestic helpers and other refugees stayed home and took care of their corrupt governments?
Maybe then they would be able to become economically powerful and wouldn't need to buy products from elsewhere? That would also help reduce airpollution in Hong Kong.

Powdered Baby Milk Formula

Friso, one of the most popular brands, says there was never any shortage.

Some Danish Guy posted:

"There was never a stock shortage," said Arnoud van den Berg, general manager of FrieslandCampina, the manufacturer of Friso products.

"There were always products in our stock house, but customers emptied all the shelves every time the products were put on the shelves," he said.

It sounds like they just limited supply to drive up demand. Now the popular brands are complaining about Hong Kong's export restrictions, because now mainlanders can't buy them in huge amounts like they were before. They were greedily profiteering and are now pissed off that that backfired. gently caress 'em.

The real truth is that there was never any lack of baby formula at all. There was a shortage of specific product lines from three popular brands of baby formula. There were always less-popular brands, both Asian and western, in the stores.

I also read from some retailers that the big brands like Friso had special ordering requirements, like you could only stock the extremely popular infant formula if you bought it in a bundle with toddler/child/adult milk powders as well. That adds credence to the idea that these manufacturers are profiteering asses who need to stop :qq: ing.

Street making GBS threads

Actually it's pissing this time, and it's white people doing it. Apparently some Danish douchebags forced their tour bus to pull over so they could take a whiz in the middle of a highway. There are even pictures of this. Predictable comments follow:

Snake Eyes posted:

Why the outrage? Were they hijacking the locals' spot? Was this area for more serous "business", like many Hong Kong roads seem to be these days? Something about people living in glass houses comes to mind.

rpei7007 posted:

What about all the Chinese that piss on the the side of the road....I guess it's okay since they do it in the bushes!

gracesswong posted:

Perhaps their next move will be spitting together on the street. I mean, why not?

Chinese Officials Behaving Badly

You guys remember this crackdown on corruption and lavish banquets? Well, it turns out the officials have sneaky ways around this. They've built like... banquet hall speakeasies.

SCMP posted:

One house in Jilin province, owned by the boss of a local food factory, looked like an understated country home, but the interior was decorated to first-rate standard in January. The owner permitted only close acquaintances to enter and he had hired the head chef from a top local restaurant.

The house also had fully equipped baths, where guests could take a sauna and shower.

An official told the person invited to the banquet that more officials were willing to dine at the house since the launching of the anti-corruption drive because they felt safe and all the food and services were free.

Or they just get around the restrictions by turning their office cafeteria into The Palm.

SCMP posted:

Two officials in Fujian province said many canteens in government departments had been renovated and had hired chefs from the region's finest restaurants after outside banquets were banned as part of the Communist Party leadership's anti-corruption and austerity drive.

There are plenty of ways at the local level for cities to get around rules from the top
The official said the renovated canteens were as luxurious as five-star restaurants, with private rooms and fine-dining chefs, and there was "no need for officials to go out to dine under the eyes of the public because everything can be done within the government compound".

Because nothing says 'Communist' like lavish dining and exuberant parties!

Some Official posted:

"The call for austerity is too harsh … it is typical communist style that a movement can appear all of a sudden and require all party members to learn the unselfish and noble spirit of revolutionary ancestors.

"But who can really do that in today's China?" the official said. "We are forced to go underground. And as long as we don't get caught by the mass media or ordinary citizens, the leaders won't punish us."

:china:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If Mao were to return from the dead one day he'd kill everyone in an apoplectic fit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Riso posted:

If Mao were to return from the dead one day he'd kill everyone in an apoplectic fit.

I think pretty much every founding leader of a country would do that these days.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
If you look at it closely Mao was some sort of odd sociopath in history who climbed his way to prominence through political intrigue. People shouldn't even use him in the same sentence when talking about modern China because he was ready to sink the ship and throw everyone under the bus when his grand experiments started failing. Modern China is all Deng's and Zhou Enlai's brain child. Zhou in particular was the guy who tried to rein in a lot of the crazy maoist demagoguery. He was probably the only truly balanced one amongst all of them. Deng was just an egotistical opportunist.

I know a lot of people despise Edgar Snow these days but a lot of his unfounded optimism came from conversations with Zhou.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Hong Kong media

Some of you who are familiar with Hong Kong may know TVB, the colossal monopolizing free-to-air TV network that dominates Hong Kong pop culture. They constantly run the same lovely rehashed period dramas using the same twelve actors who are signed to horribly restrictive contracts that eventually branch them out into horrible, samey, rehashed Cantopop careers. This is one of the reasons Hong Kong is called a cultural wasteland. It's an entertainment conglomerate controlled by Arch Lich Sir Run Run Shaw. Look at this:

This man is older than both existing Chinas. He lived through the reign of two Chinese Emperors. I am convinced he stays alive by draining the cultural energy of Hong Kong's entertainment industry.

Anyway, there is hope on the horizon, as the Hong Kong government is planning to grant at least a couple free-to-air TV licenses in 2015 that could challenge TVB's dominance. Right now their only competitor is a joke called ATV that has less than 10% market share and doesn't even produce its own dramas. More choices would make TVB shape up and produce something people want to watch, especially young people.

What do you think TVB does about they? Well they are :qq: :qq: :qq: crying that everything isn't fair and trying to get the courts to stop this because it will destroy Hong Kong culture. They say there's not enough ad revenue to share between several players, even though they are making multibillion dollar revenues in a market smaller than New York City.

Here are some highlights from that article:

SCMP posted:

[TVB Executive Director Mark] Lee has questioned the government's right to award new licences before TVB and ATV's latest licences (which were secured with the promise of vast investment) will expire in 2015. He is prepared to go to court to press the claim, and has written to all lawmakers, Executive Council members and board members of the Office of the Communications Authority for support.

TVB planned to offer better benefits to its staff. From next year, they would work five days a week like many office workers in Hong Kong, and would get pay rises according to the inflation rate. But if anything goes wrong, the company would have to take the opposite direction.

"The bottom line is, if there's no money, we will have to cut costs. And there's no way we can improve the quality of our productions ... It would be inevitable," he says.

Some stuff about their lovely content:

SCMP posted:

But it seems the viability of stations is not the main concern of the city's viewers. While millions of eyes are glued to TVB's shows, audiences are quick to complain about programme quality and illogical plots.

Actor Raymond Lam Fung appears invincible to bullets or explosives in his role as a police narcotics officer in the action drama Highs and Lows. A bottle of oolong tea appears on Qing dynasty emperor Daoguang's desk in Curse of the Royal Harem. The same faces appear repeatedly in various shows: actor Law Lok-lam "dies" five times in different dramas aired on a single day.

Dramas tend to be restricted to a handful of genres featuring either an upper-class family's dispute, or the wives of an ancient emperor fighting for his love - the kind of tear-jerkers housewives enjoy after washing the dishes. It is in stark contrast to shows, such as Seven Women, that TVB produced in the 1970s, challenging viewers' minds and tastes.

And worst of all, some online users have nicknamed the station "CCTVB", accusing the broadcaster's news arm of taking its lead from the mainland's official broadcaster.

I really hate TVB

SCMP posted:

Lee emphasises that his station is an institution. "Victoria Harbour, Ocean Park and TVB come to people's minds when they talk about Hong Kong. The wrong policy could crush the 45 years of achievements that TVB has attained."

In other news...

Here's a Xinhua picture representing the New China:

And finally... The Filipino domestic worker who brought the lawsuit that started the permanent residency case has gone back to the Philippines and "is now living in a large house with a big plot of land and gets financial help from her seven children, all of whom have completed university degrees. One is a doctor, while another is an architect, according to her lawyer. She has 11 grandchildren." So gently caress all y'all, she doesn't need Hong Kong anyway.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
More Hong Kong TV talk!

TVB in Chinese is 無線 - wireless televsion. Back in the day, ATV use to be the power house television station, like American cable tv. But it was a luxury because people had to subscribe to its service. However, TVB started offering free TV and opened up the television market by offering free programming. The rest was history. It's ironic that TVB is crying foul when they themselves started out as a market disrupting company. It's total hypocrisy of TVB to prevent new players from entering the market space.

TVB have a gigantic market share of the "free chinese world" including Taiwan and almost all of the Chinese diaspora. Man I use to love watching that poo poo when I was a boring Asian dude in Canada but nowadays avoid TVB when I live in Hong Kong. No, I don't blame bloodnose for his Jewish media influence but programming nowadays is becoming more of the same and rehashed.

What's worse is that TVB programming is considered "edgy" and has a niche following from Mainland China because it's considered "uncensored" :suicide:

To its credit. There was one show which was banned by the CCP. It's called When Heaven Burns. An allegory of the crackdown on the 89 democracy movement student riots. Basically it's about people reacting differently to the change, some turn into rear end in a top hat businessmen, some into activists, under the shadow of the controlling government and consumerist society. Ok I made the show sound better than it is. It's pretty decent compared to other canto tv stuff.

There is one very memorable scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzG3SeIOgDw

The girl is asking : "what does rock and roll represent?"

:goonsay: If you look at this city, everything is the same. We all have the same thoughts, we all like the same things, we all eat the same things, we all have the same habits, we all watch the same tv show, we all support the same political platform, and we all live and die the same way. [...] I always ask myself the same question for 30 years. I seek truth, freedom, love, and individuality.

It was a really popular moment. And made every honger :qq: Then it reacted into alarmist OMG Mainlanders have tarnished our way of life and we are under the yolk of communists, gently caress mainlanders. :suicide: Then the Confucius professor, honger are dogs incident happened. :negative: Which gave momentum to the autonomy movement flying the old colonial flag :emo:

But that TVB televsion drama was an accident, not really major political movement there.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

TVB in Chinese is 無線 - wireless televsion.

Does anyone actually call it that? I've only ever heard anyone call it TVB, even when speaking Chinese.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is that Shaw as in Shaw Brothers? Because I don't know if I can hate someone who brought me 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is that Shaw as in Shaw Brothers? Because I don't know if I can hate someone who brought me 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

And Five Deadly Venoms, don't forget.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://chinahistorypodcast.com/sir-run-run-shaw-chp-049

Laszlo Montgomery on Run Run Shaw. Note: He likes him a lot.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yes it is. Shaw studios used to actually create good stuff, before they became a monopoly.

On the other hand, a lot of Shaw productions were pretty samey and crappy. They just pumped out a ton of poo poo, and some of it was good. Shotgun effect. Law of averages. That sort of thing.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

I've seen apartment chat come up a few times in this thread and I was reminded of it when I saw this:

quote:

Chinese Mother Buys $6.5 Million Condo for 2-Year-Old Daughter

Talk about preparing for the future. A Chinese woman reportedly bought a $6.5 million Manhattan condo for her daughter – who is now 2 years old – according to China's state TV, CCTV.

The lucky toddler’s new condo is in the Park Hyatt-managed One57 tower, currently under construction. The building, at 157 W. 57th Street, will be one of New York's tallest skyscrapers when finished in 2013 at a height of 1,004 feet. The residences will sit atop the Park Hyatt hotel with floor-to-ceiling windows, high-end appliances and hotel amenities. One57 made headlines last October when Hurricane Sandy caused damage to a construction crane on the building, blocking access to the street for several days. Associated Press

Kevin Brown, a senior vice president at Sotheby’s International Realty, told CCTV that he helped the woman look at various apartments in the city and asked why she was buying. “And she said, well, her daughter was going to go to Columbia, or NYU, or maybe Harvard so she needed to be in the center of the city and that was why she was picking this one particular apartment,” Brown told CCTV. When she said her daughter was only two years old, Brown was shocked, he told CCTV. Both Sotheby’s and Brown declined to comment about the sale.

The mother’s identity is unknown, but The Telegraph writes that many on the Chinese social network Weibo are speculating that she must be the wife of or related to a corrupt government official.

Needless to say, the daughter’s all set for housing for around 2029 when she’ll likely start freshman classes. (And no sharing a bathroom for her!) Although, if she ends up going to Harvard, that’s going to be a long commute—at least a 4-hour bus ride from Manhattan each way.

Extell Development Co.
The residents will have access to VIP concierge and doorman services, fantastic views of the city, a performance room, an indoor pool and much more.

Surely, parents financing their children’s New York lifestyle isn’t a new phenomenon, but this case is no doubt an outlier. The U.S. real estate market has been attracting foreign investors, particularly Asian buyers, for years, especially since the housing crisis.

Residential international sales in the U.S. totaled $82.5 billion in the year ending in March 2012, according to the National Association of Realtors’ latest data available. That figure was up about 24% from $66.4 billion in 2011. Specifically, 4% of total international sales are in New York, and Florida has the highest number with 26% of sales.

Global commercial real estate investors also named New York as the top city to invest in, according to an annual survey by the Association of Foreign Investors in Real Estate. For the first time in 12 years, four of the top five cities were in the U.S., indicating a better view of the U.S. economy and real estate compared to prior years.

Foreign buyers come from everywhere, but China, Canada, Mexico, India and the UK account for 55% of all international transactions. In 2012, Canada accounted for 24% of the sales, and China accounted for 11%. Real-estate agencies have been appealing to the Chinese market by hiring Mandarin-speaking agents, and some developers are placing their top units on “lucky” floors, such as Apartment 88 at One57, according to a WSJ report. (The number 8 is considered lucky in Chinese culture.)

Buying luxury apartments for mistresses has been mentioned, but is buying luxury apartments for children all that common?

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Dr. Tough posted:

Buying luxury apartments for mistresses has been mentioned, but is buying luxury apartments for children all that common?

Buy it when you can definitely afford it and don't have to worry about not being able to snap it up in the future I guess.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
But when you've got 16 years until you can use it for its intended purpose (maybe longer if the little princess is a lovely student), during which a lot can happen; and in the interim it would probably be cheaper to stay in the most expensive hotel in the city on the few days you're in NYC than maintain that thing, it comes off as idiotic bubble hysteria or spending money for the sake of showing that you can spend money.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

...idiotic bubble hysteria...

She is looking for a place to keep her Bitcoin mining rig.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

VideoTapir posted:

But when you've got 16 years until you can use it for its intended purpose (maybe longer if the little princess is a lovely student), during which a lot can happen; and in the interim it would probably be cheaper to stay in the most expensive hotel in the city on the few days you're in NYC than maintain that thing, it comes off as idiotic bubble hysteria or spending money for the sake of showing that you can spend money.

Why take the risk? In the meantime you can rent it out if you want. The only losing scenarios entail your money not being worth anything anyways. If the NY prices collapse, it's probably a sign that there's something far more wrong than just housing.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
I guess if you assume that the rise of real estate prices in New York are going to outstrip any other possible investments you could make. I'm not familiar with the area, but I get the feeling that there's are lot more financially productive things that you could do with $6.5 million over 16 year period.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Warcabbit posted:

And Five Deadly Venoms, don't forget.

8 diagram pole fighter too.

I just can't hate Shaw is he even privy to what goes on in day to day operations anyhow?

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Dr. Tough posted:

I've seen apartment chat come up a few times in this thread and I was reminded of it when I saw this:

This has been a common practice for a really long time. In the 90's there were a lot of filthy rich Taiwanese kids driving around in their luxury cars getting into organized crime, gangs, and other trouble. The parents would remain overseas then buy them a condo or house and give them a big allowance in the U.S. with the hope that they would do well. Some of them turned real bad and did what young kids do when they have a ton of money.

This sort of thing is happening with mainland Chinese kids from well to do families now. I see it in CA often enough but usually the parents come to America too because they are moving their entire family fortune for various reasons.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Modus Operandi posted:

This sort of thing is happening with mainland Chinese kids from well to do families now. I see it in CA often enough but usually the parents come to America too because they are moving their entire family fortune for various reasons.
I believe China's new national anthem offers some clues.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Why take the risk? In the meantime you can rent it out if you want. The only losing scenarios entail your money not being worth anything anyways. If the NY prices collapse, it's probably a sign that there's something far more wrong than just housing.

I was thinking more her daughter's plans changing.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

You assign far too much autonomy to the richkid-bot.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

VideoTapir posted:

Then you sell the apartment for profit? Seems like a pretty smart plan.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

cafel posted:

I guess if you assume that the rise of real estate prices in New York are going to outstrip any other possible investments you could make. I'm not familiar with the area, but I get the feeling that there's are lot more financially productive things that you could do with $6.5 million over 16 year period.

Chinese people are probably forgetting property taxes as well, which are based on the value of the apartment. That's going to be a painful expense for an empty apartment over that much time.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What, isn't that all-at-once for 70 years when the apartment is sold?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

VideoTapir posted:

What, isn't that all-at-once for 70 years when the apartment is sold?

Property taxes are yearly, you pay or its a lean on the property.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Ardennes posted:

Property taxes are yearly, you pay or its a lean on the property.

I know...christ. That was a somewhat-misinformed reference to the Chinese land-lease system; intended in jest. And it's "lien."

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It also depends on not only the assessed value of the property but also their income level in NYC. I don't know anything about the system but they would probably be in Class 1 and pay 18.569% for the property. They could easily pay it off with tenants since they most likely bought the place without a mortgage.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 30, 2013

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

VideoTapir posted:

I know...christ. That was a somewhat-misinformed reference to the Chinese land-lease system; intended in jest. And it's "lien."

I am very sorry I ruined your joke.

Anyway, buying property in NYC is going to be a pretty safe investment especially in Manhattan. If I had money to invest, property in Manhattan at this point wouldn't be the worse investment to make.

How seasonal is air pollution in Beijing? Does it get better in the spring and/or does it also get an inversion during the summer?

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 30, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Worse in winter, and that's when the extremes occur, though it seemed to me there were more moderately lovely days in summer. Whatever time of year has the most wind and rain is going to be the clearest.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I just saw a news article about a new strain of bird flu popping up in Shanghai and it brought back memories of the SARS outbreak. It's been 10+ years since that debacle where China was essentially covering up 100's of infections and deaths and I was wondering if there's been any actual changes or just another 'take care of it until no one is looking' .

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57577161/china-downplays-new-bird-flu-fears/

The title is obviously "China downplays etc." but I really doubt its something completely managed by the govt.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah the SCMP is basically in :siren: :siren: :siren: MEGA SARS :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: mode right now. Seems every hour they're putting out a new article with a new death toll/number of infections/location featuring H7N9 bird flu.

If it turns into another delightful epidemic, it could lead to the property price correction we're all craving.

Speaking of which... Tom Holland's column today is all about how China has tons of empty houses, and Hong Kong has more than you'd expect as well.

Tom Holland posted:

According to data from the National Bureau of Statistics, since 1981 China has built an astonishing 39 billion square metres of housing "which has been appraised and accepted" - in other words come up to the designed standards.

That's enough to provide a 62 square meter flat for every single one of the country's 450 million households. In Hong Kong terms that's more than 700 square feet of gross floor area for each three-member household - spacious by local standards.

Tom Holland posted:

Hong Kong offers a clue. According to the latest census, there were just short of 2.37 million households in the city in 2011, a number that has been growing by 1.2 per cent a year. And the government's latest Monthly Digest of Statistics says Hong Kong has a housing stock of 2.64 million units.

That means there is a surplus of around 240,000 homes. Yet prices continue to soar, and in one of the world's richest cities, thousands live in sub-divided cubicles and cages.

Basically just more fuel for my bear fire. The same stuff we already knew. Too much liquidity in Hong Kong and China means inflation is way higher than interest rates and rich people are storing value in property. A lot of them are even keeping these homes empty. poo poo sucks.

Moving back to Hong Kong...

:siren: :supaburn: STREET making GBS threads NEWS :supaburn: :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCYwtz-9n6A

Yeah it's not a video of the actual making GBS threads, and it doesn't mean too much to you if you don't speak Cantonese. The jist of it is this couple, who are speaking Cantonese, but with mainland accents, just let their daughter poo poo in a plastic bag on the MTR (the line that goes to Shenzhen). People complained that this was disgusting and made the train stink, leading to this altercation with the MTR staff who asked them to leave the train. They insisted they did nothing wrong it was in a bag after all, not just on the floor! The main even claims to be a Hong Konger (hey, he might have PR. It's possible). Most Hong Kongers have their babies wear diapers. It's a mainland thing to have pants with holes in them to allow for easy street making GBS threads.

There's a strike going on at the biggest port in Hong Kong, with dockworkers saying they haven't gotten a pay rise in ten years and currently get paid less than they did in 1995, despite inflation having risen a billion percent since then. I support the strikers, and it looks like they might get their way. Management (with the man of endless means, Li Ka Shing , at the top) remains intragnizent. If Libertopia is ever going to work and vindicate neoliberals everywhere, greedy fat cats have to be willing to let the lower classes get something for their labors. Hong Kong's IRL Rapture will end just like the Bioshock one (plasmids included) if wages stay stagnant forever while the billionaires slowly morph into trillionaires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I've never had any reason to want to go to Hong Kong, but now I want to go just to take a dump in the street.

Have you guys finished listening to all the Sinica episodes? I've got something else for you.

http://spikejapan.wordpress.com/

A guy writes a large amount of words about Japan. If you want to know what China will look like in 20 years, here's a preview.

http://spikejapan.wordpress.com/2010/10/10/phoenix-seagaia-look-on-my-works-ye-mighty/

http://spikejapan.wordpress.com/spike-hokkaido-2/wallstreet/