Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

eeenmachine posted:

The progression was balanced with hundreds of testers without red gems in the game at all if that is any consolation.

Answer me; where's the arrow touch controls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

eeenmachine posted:

The progression was balanced with hundreds of testers without red gems in the game at all if that is any consolation.

Yeah, I had heard that, and I think it's cool y'all do it that way -- I know it's not an insurmountable grind by any means (and the bad push is really just for the 3-star, unlocking the characters and getting their first 2 levels isn't bad) but obviously it's got to be long enough that the "buy currency" option looks attractive when it is available, or the game wouldn't make any money. A handful of goons saying "thanks nimblebit, bought the doubler" is nice but I'm sure you guys need the occasional customer who buys the consumable stuff in order to pay the bills.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
The game is far too hectic and twitchy in the late game for a virtual dpad to be viable, but there's no real reason they couldn't implement one so you can see just how terrible it is.

Wario In Real Life fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 30, 2013

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
gently caress virtual buttons.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seriously. Either adapt to touch philosophy, or support bluetooth gadgets.

Virtual d-pads loving suck.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Rather see voice recognition before virtual buttons. Would be perfectly obnoxious in public.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The only other control scheme I could maybe see working would be "tap anywhere on the left side of the screen to turn counter-clockwise, tap anywhere on the right side to turn clockwise"-- at least I'd stop trying to swipe 180-degree direction changes that don't work.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

eeenmachine posted:

gently caress virtual buttons.

xzzy posted:

Seriously. Either adapt to touch philosophy, or support bluetooth gadgets.

Virtual d-pads loving suck.

I don't like something, so no one can have it.
:goonsay:

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Seriously just implement it so people can see how absolutely horrible of an idea it actually is. And then openly mock them for wanting something so terrible.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

nutranurse posted:

I don't like something, so no one can have it.
:goonsay:

You can make your video games however you want.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You do realize touching an area of the screen is much faster and accurate than the bullshit swipe system that doesn't recognize the right direction 30% of the time, and does nothing other times? I'm not asking for touch FPS controls, just simple up down left right. You can't possibly say that system sucks when it comes to loving tapping.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

eeenmachine posted:

No need to be so obnoxious about it.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

SmokinDan posted:

No need to be so obnoxious about it.
A dude literally used :goonsay: and he's the one being obnoxious?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wario In Real Life posted:

Yeah, crazy, huh?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The most disheartening thing about NQ is when you accidentally do 2 really quick turns for a 180 then sit there and watch in horror as you railroad 80% of your dudes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

eeenmachine posted:

Serious post Pac-Man Campionship Edition had a pretty good control layout in which you had (not visible) touch zones overlaying the screen/map which you tapped to change directions. With this you could just split the screen in four with an X since all you do is go up/down/left/right.

This would be terrible on an iPad.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Y'all bad at phone games. Poop more or something.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

bloodychill posted:

I've been wanting this sort of game on iOS so badly I actually started writing one in my free time at work but as usual, programming a complex game by myself without pay starts getting tedious and I get bored. This one looks interesting but the graphics are obviously sort of ghetto and the download numbers on it are really low. Is it pretty deep?

I think it's fairly deep and meaty for what it is. I certainly haven't played anything in iOS that's come anywhere close to scratching this particular itch. Here are some random bits and pieces...

There's a handful of starting professions, which determine a couple special elements of a character's skill-set. Merchant, smuggler, pirate, bounty hunter, spy, etc. But you're not hemmed in... You can do pretty much anything if you level up the right skills half-intelligently.

I'm always more into trading and subterfuge than fighting in these kinds of games, but the combat I've experienced seems simple but interesting... firing on various part of enemy ships, ramming, ranges of combat, doing boarding exercises, etc.

The economy isn't wholly, straight-up dynamic, but it has dynamic elements and changes things up enough that you won't be grinding out any "best" trade routes for a profit. To be a successful trader, you generally listen for rumors on surpluses and shortages in certain systems, then bust your rear end to made the trips needed to capitalize on them.

There's a respectable selection of ships that can be customized with different sets of add-ons (not specific gun varieties or anything; it's more like "Hmmm, should I fill this external slot with this extra turret, that escape pod, or that extra gas tank?)" Buying ships is a little simplistic (every dock has 3 random ships for sale at any given time; no region-based availability). Overall, I wish there were more depth with ship selection and customization, but you can still manage to custom tailor a ship to your preferred purpose.

As an example, my current character is a blend of smuggler and explorer (a class intended to take away teams down into uninhabited, dangerous areas to search for valuable artifacts. So I skipped installing an awesome ship stealth array or huge additional gas tank, and instead bought an armored exploration vehicle to roll out when my away team is planetside. Now a lot fewer of my guys die down there, so I don't have to spend as much time trolling bars for new recruits, and it's easier to keep up crew morale.

Faction relations have a huge impact on the game. There are six nations (divided into two big coalitions), not counting independents and pirates. They're all ALWAYS starting political, economic, and military poo poo-storms, and if you want to keep your hands clean, you have to keep up on the latest news and stay vigilant. There are trade bans, trade wars (re: messing with transportation/infrastructure), spy/information wars, alliances, trade treaties, all-out war, etc. And they all have different sets of rules as to what you can and can't do without getting a particular nation's panties in a twist. Of course you can ally with a certain side, or just be a pirate and piss everyone off, but those options will obviously create new sets of challenges.

(Every faction gives missions/contracts, btw, which can be especially sticky re: faction rep. My explorer who wants to stay on everyone's good side, for example, will only take select missions that cross piddly independent groups.)

Water-gas is a very important resource; your ship and crew both require it keep going. You don't want ship trouble or a mutiny on your hands. And it really sucks when you have to make an emergency side-stop to refill, and the only seller in range is one that's on the wrong side of one of those aforementioned faction poo poo-fests.

There's a wide variety of difficulties you can play on; both with and without permadeath, and there's a new set of challenges that unlock advanced equipment when you do certain challenges on certain difficulty levels. That was super-annoying at first--I just want to buy the stuff I want to buy; for lore-friendliness/immersion/etc.--but now that I've actually unlocked some of the decent stuff, I've become more okay with it.

I started playing on an easier difficulty, and I did hit a point--once I got my huge, decked-out, bad-rear end ship and a tremendous pile of cash--where the game quickly started being a whole lot less fun. It would be fair to say that there's not much endgame content. Fortunately, starting over and bumping up the difficulty a couple notches freshened things right back up for me. It's definitely the journey/struggle/challenge of growing from pipsqueak to powerhouse that's the fun part.

Anyway... For a new player (or prospective player), it's definitely worth reading the dev's short player's guide and a few stickied posts from the game's forums (I'm on my phone atm, but you can Google it easy enough). It's a cool game, but as you mentioned, the graphics including the interface are pretty old-school, and there are plenty of parts to the game that aren't very intuitive. But the small community has created enough helpful content to help with the learning curve.

If any of that stuff sounds intriguing, I'd say give Star Traders RPG a shot.

edit: Holy poo poo that was some :words:

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 30, 2013

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Wario In Real Life posted:

To be entirely honest I didn't know that dude was the game's developer. If he doesn't want virtual controls in the game, then fine, his decision. It was obnoxious on both our parts.

v:v:v

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

goferchan posted:

:ssh: it's designed in a way to compel people to spend money on IAP, grinding your way to maxed-out-everything isn't meant to be an attractive prospect

I dont think we're playing the same game. I dont feel compeled to buy IAP at all - really none ofthe NB games make me feel like that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

goferchan posted:

The only other control scheme I could maybe see working would be "tap anywhere on the left side of the screen to turn counter-clockwise, tap anywhere on the right side to turn clockwise"-- at least I'd stop trying to swipe 180-degree direction changes that don't work.

Shouldn't work, honestly. You'd slam your lead hero right into the one behind him if that worked. :v:

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Serious post Pac-Man Campionship Edition had a pretty good control layout in which you had (not visible) touch zones overlaying the screen/map which you tapped to change directions. With this you could just split the screen in four with an X since all you do is go up/down/left/right.

This would be terrible on an iPad.

Would be great on an ipad with a controller though or virtual d-pad.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I played it on the web-preview with the arrow keys and I find swiping is a lot nicer. v:shobon:v

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Ghostlight posted:

I played it on the web-preview with the arrow keys and I find swiping is a lot nicer. v:shobon:v
Ditto. Tried both, and the arrows will gently caress you up. You'll try to press right when you're going left, no matter how much practice you've had to break yourself of that. Swiping in the direction, on the other hand, you instantly "get" that if you swipe back along your snake, nothing's going to happen.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So if swiping right doesn't work when going left, then just have the right arrow not work when going left either. I don't get how that's a problem with the control scheme.

The issue is the game gets frantic and fast paced, and motions blow for that. Just look at every Wiimote or Kinect game ever. Just put four large arrows in the bottom left/right. Slide your finger from one to the other or tap, and bam, the game is ten times as fun because you don't feel like you lost because of a lovely swipe recognition.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

So if swiping right doesn't work when going left, then just have the right arrow not work when going left either. I don't get how that's a problem with the control scheme.

The issue is the game gets frantic and fast paced, and motions blow for that. Just look at every Wiimote or Kinect game ever. Just put four large arrows in the bottom left/right. Slide your finger from one to the other or tap, and bam, the game is ten times as fun because you don't feel like you lost because of a lovely swipe recognition.

dude I think he already said no. Go play mutant muddz or something.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Are many people really have that much of a problem with the game? Everyone I've shown it to has picked it up in a few seconds. Early in the beta I had a few missed swipes, but nothing close to the problems you seem to be having. Are you trying to emulate Resident Evil tank controls in swipe form or something?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

After coming off Ridiculous Fishing, I was hoping that Nimble Quest'd have tilt as an option.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Better yet, it should use a series of taps - one for up, two for left, three down and four for right. And you have to move step by step for greater control. Nimblebit's stunning lack of consideration of this option boggles the mind.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Doesn't Jones on Fire have virtual buttons? Hrmrmrmm.. time to write a one star review.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

After coming off Ridiculous Fishing, I was hoping that Nimble Quest'd have tilt as an option.

Oh. Oh god. Why would you even.

Why.

:psyduck:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nimble Quest controls perfectly. It's extremely responsive. Anyone complaining about it hindering the game and making the difficulty unfair are just bad at the game. Sounds harsh but that's really the truth. It's alright if you want other control schemes to fit your personal taste but any statements about the controls not being responsive and consistent seem blatantly wrong.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
Been playing Sonic Dash all day. I gotta say its pretty neat, especially for a free game. Controls can be a little wonky at times (though maybe I just suck at touch controls) and earning Red Stars to unlock new characters is a little too difficult, but otherwise it's a perfectly serviceable runner. As a plus, the "pester social media" options are by far the least obnoxious ones I've seen yet. Glad I didn't pay the $2 or whatever, but for free it makes for a decent time waster.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
I can't work out the zig zag stuff for,wrestling revolution :( swipe in one direction then another but it doesn't seem to work. Can anyone help with a diagram?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nimble Quest controls perfectly. It's extremely responsive. Anyone complaining about it hindering the game and making the difficulty unfair are just bad at the game. Sounds harsh but that's really the truth. It's alright if you want other control schemes to fit your personal taste but any statements about the controls not being responsive and consistent seem blatantly wrong.

Came to post this as well. NQ's controls are spot-on, and if you're having problems with them then you need to play more.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I had some trouble with NQ controls until I found I was in right hand mode. I turned that off and now I have no problems. And I hate swipe controls most the time.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
What's the consensus on Autumn Dynasty? It came out about a year ago but I'd never heard about till today, just browsing around the App Store.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

loving numble bit get your shitcontrols right. Here is the right way to controls on a game like NQ, you make it so you can email in moves from another device. maybe you could even make an email app that only emails the game running on your other device

you start a new message, type either "up" "down" "left" or "right" into the body of the email, hit send and instantly have the game read the email on the other end.

im just spitballing here but you could tweet in moves as well, you could have others tweet in moves for multiplayer. maybe have klout integration to see who has made the most moves.

gently caress, do i have to come run your company for you?

loving touch controls, what is this 2008?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

drat it, I ran out of bears in Pixel People. :negative: And then I need another sodding lion, and a trout that I haven't even seen yet. If I accidentally use my stags or octopus I may scream. At least I've got plenty of wolves, and dragons seem to be pretty common (for fire breathing, flying lizards, anyway).

edit: YES, GOT THE loving TROUT AT LAST! :siren:

McDragon fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
You should procedurally generate the moves out of voxels.

• Locked thread