Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I wasn't even aware that memes had communities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

MindShift posted:

We plan to pool our resources on multiple different levels, including backers feed back, popular game genres, popular game plots, and latest software technologies and then place it all into one game. We plan to build a multiplier first person shooter that is on the latest DirectX 11 platform. DirectX 11 supplies us with the latest eye candy graphics that we are looking for. The same eye candy graphics found in games like Crysis 3 & Unreal Tournament. We are trying to build an adventurous, action packed, first person shooter, that will keep you thrilled throughout the game the first time you go through it and many times after, and then on the other side, we are trying to add a multiplayer mode where you can join your friends & lead them into action.

So basically, mash together all the genres of the bestsellers, and their plots into one game. Also buzzwords. Yep, yep, yep... nuh-uh. We get enough of that BS from actual AAA developers...

MindShift posted:

We plan to pull this all off by using one of the game engine editors, like Unreal Engine 3, CryEngine 3, & Unity3D. This game engines will save us a ton of headaches, time, & challenges on actually creating the hard parts about the game, like the game engine itself. This will allow us to work more on modeling, designing levels, game dynamics, and the plot of the story.

Dear Christ, this is painful to read... :doh:
You can't use all those engines. YOU CAN'T USE ALL THOSE ENGINES!
YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

The plot of the loving story?! As opposed to the level design of the story?

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Mar 29, 2013

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Similar to this theme of people thinking they are more awesome than they are:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/630515511/one-novel-one-project-one-dream?ref=users (already failed last year)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/630515511/a-new-fantasy-epic-the-path-of-the-fallen-unabridg?play=1&ref=users (in the process of failing)

This poor bastard seems to think his collection of self published books makes him a real author. Just look at that Bio page. He doesn't mention all those books are self published. He's going on 0-2 for this poo poo. I wonder if the $168 he collected so far over those 2 Kickstarters was from poor souls who mistook his name for the other unrelated Dan O'Brien you may have heard of. You'd think being a psychologist, apparently, he would be able to identify his delusions of grandeur. Nope! Made a consulting business because people will want to come to him to find out how to fail at Kickstarter repeatedly and self publish novels. :allears:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Phoenix Rising - True Evidence of UFO's and ET Technology
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/962700965/phoenix-rising-true-evidence-of-ufos-and-et-techno?ref=recently_launched

quote:

We already have exclusive, never before seen footage of Boomerangs UFOs and military craft intercepts and other videos of related events which we will be showing and revealing the stories behind them for the first time with multiple witness interviews and we also have a piece of an object which a man in virginia had reported he found on his farm land after two objects in the sky collided.

We suspect that the small hockey puck sized disks were some sort of superconducting magnets or other battery, or super capacitor, or regulator of energy, because there was more than 1 and they appeared to have a metallic conductor on top and bottom and an insulated rim made from hard - ceramic like materials of some kind.

Clearly the most logical explanation for this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You know that one MMO that bombed twice and literally killed a company?

Let's Kickstart a spinoff!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

With 33 minutes to go and a single donation, I don't think the get a kickball team some uniforms project is going to make it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jet Jaguar posted:

With 33 minutes to go and a single donation, I don't think the get a kickball team some uniforms project is going to make it.

I feel like this is viral marketing for Portlandia

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I'm surprised they think longcat is still relevant.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Okay, I'm used to seeing poorly dressed nerds breathe heavily into a mic while rambling about their game for far too long, but this guy just sat down, pointed a camera at his phone and wordlessly played a cell phone game for seven and a half minutes. The camerawork was bad enough that it was hard to see the models or really anything other than the very basic gist of what was happening on screen. At least with the mouthbreathers I had some idea of what they were after from the video.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm surprised they think longcat is still relevant.

Wasn't it just in the news the other week that Longcat had died?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

anticake posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/630515511/one-novel-one-project-one-dream?ref=users (already failed last year)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/630515511/a-new-fantasy-epic-the-path-of-the-fallen-unabridg?play=1&ref=users (in the process of failing)

This poor bastard seems to think his collection of self published books makes him a real author. Just look at that Bio page. He doesn't mention all those books are self published. He's going on 0-2 for this poo poo. I wonder if the $168 he collected so far over those 2 Kickstarters was from poor souls who mistook his name for the other unrelated Dan O'Brien you may have heard of. You'd think being a psychologist, apparently, he would be able to identify his delusions of grandeur. Nope! Made a consulting business because people will want to come to him to find out how to fail at Kickstarter repeatedly and self publish novels. :allears:

The first one definitely failed because it was a snooze-fest. He just sort of rambles a little bit and straight up pastes some text in that nobody wants to read.

quote:

5 out of 5 stars: "Dan O'Brien has a stellar book with The Path of The Fallen. He was able to accomplish what many other writers could not; transporting me to another place where the story becomes a reality. I have struggled with many other author's books to be drawn into their inner depths, allowing me to experience the action taking place. I was sucked into this world after the first page. It is a brilliant tale of one young mans struggles to overcome unbelievable odds. It is a must read! You will not be disappointed, rather hungry for more of this prolific authors stories!"

:doh:
This... doesn't mean anything...

batphantom
Mar 24, 2001

anticake posted:

I love that it's for the UNABRIDGED version! You've lived with the gutted, Reader's Digest version for far too long! According to his twitter, which is mostly for pimping other indie authors, he announced he's working on a zombie (kindle exclusive!) serial! Imagine the heartstopping thrills a genius like Dan O'Brien can deliver! And with a regular cliffhanger? You'll be ready to put yourself in a coma waiting for the next thrilling chapter!

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Antitonic posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1659448460/mindshift-multiplayer-first-person-shooter-directx

Only $1000000 for a first-person shooter featuring content to be decided by backers, 4 pieces of identical concept art, and most uniquely for an FPS: physics! They're even planning on porting to the next PlayStation and Xbox.

Just gotta quote this and say pretty much both of those "Concept Art" pictures are just things mostly made with the stock UDK assets.

Hell you can even see the "Rebuild paths" message in two of them.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Remember Bart The General? It's back ,in POG Kickstarter form!

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
These guys are claiming that they can develop a practical neural interface for an iPhone by running a basic EEG sensor through the Siri voice recognition library:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2102631547/mindgear-mind-control-for-siri-and-your-iphone?ref=category

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Cockmaster posted:

These guys are claiming that they can develop a practical neural interface for an iPhone by running a basic EEG sensor through the Siri voice recognition library:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2102631547/mindgear-mind-control-for-siri-and-your-iphone?ref=category

The massive dump of what appears to be raw code half way down the page is super reassuring!

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Remember Bart The General? It's back ,in POG Kickstarter form!

Looks pretty cool. Nothing awful about it.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Fatkraken posted:

The massive dump of what appears to be raw code half way down the page is super reassuring!

I think they're trying to convince people to fund by drowning them in "techno babel".

ass struggle has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Mar 31, 2013

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

From the comments:

quote:

Cool stuff, but private APIs are hacky. You will need a team to make this credible enough for Apple to accept. You also need to link to the neurosky videos, for backers to understand the current limiations of ECG. I will be bewildered if this project suceeds.

Emphasis mine. I'd also be bewildered if anything happened with this, but mostly because I don't think they have any idea how to make this work.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003
Jesus Christ (oh poo poo, it's Easter) that code is retarded. All he is doing throughout the entire code is setting variables.

code:
    if([data valueForKey:@"heartRateAverage"]) {
        heartRateAverage = [[data valueForKey:@"heartRateAverage"] intValue];
    }
If there is data for heartRateAverage, then BY GOD SET "heartRateAverage" to equal the data!!! HOLY poo poo ITS A BREAKTHROUGH

He's basically just taking the values generated by the Neurosky ThinkGear iOS SDK and mapping them to commands on his iPhone. This would be an amazingly clever and unique use of that SDK if it weren't for the fact that THAT IS THE WHOLE loving POINT OF THE SDK IN THE FIRST PLACE.

What he is doing is akin to, say...

quote:

Hay guys - check out my new Kickstarter. It's an amazing new way to join two pieces of wood together... Building on the "14oz Kobalt Hammer from Lowes" SDK, combined with the "Box of Nails from Home Depot" codebase, I have figured out a way to join two pieces of wood together. Here - check this out!
code:
typedef struct {
    int hammer;
    int nails;
    int wood1;
    int wood1;
    int combinedwood;
}

if([data valueForKey:@"hammer"]){
        combinedwood = [[data valueForKey:@"wood1"] intValue] + [[data valueForKey:@"wood2"] intValue] + nails;
}
Slashgear says it looks legit so Okay now guys give me the money.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Kaethela posted:

Emphasis mine. I'd also be bewildered if anything happened with this, but mostly because I don't think they have any idea how to make this work.

If it were feasible to set up a neural interface with standard voice recognition algorithms, I would think that the PhD-level scientists researching this sort of thing would be all over it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cockmaster posted:

If it were feasible to set up a neural interface with standard voice recognition algorithms, I would think that the PhD-level scientists researching this sort of thing would be all over it.

No but you see this kickstarter will cut out the middlemen so they can ship it straight to your door!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You know it's April 1st in a few places, right?

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Given the projects that have appeared in this thread, how can you tell? Because I sure as hell can't.

Unless of course it's been April 1 all day, every day since the dawn of Kickstarter :v:.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Just a hunch. But yes, to wake up one morning and find that all these lovely projects were some massive fever dream? That'd be nice.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

An Ironman Suit.

Not too shabby of a project, actually. The intent is to take a modest sum (2k GBP) and build (and share specifications and instructions for) an Iron Man suit, and visit childrens' hospitals and events dressed as the hero. He has a foam pre-fab built already.

The only real problem here is the backer rewards... it's a little nitpicking, but they aren't enticing enough for him to really attract the donations he'll need. :(

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This one wants 1000£ to print shirts:

quote:

Sparks original is a new brand looking to bring quirky and contemporary designs to the fashion industry. We have created lot's of designs that are sure to brighten up anyones wardrobe,
Fair enough.

The 15£ reward will get you this fine piece of modern clothing:

did'nt get funded.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

unpacked robinhood posted:

This one wants 1000£ to print shirts:

Fair enough.

The 15£ reward will get you this fine piece of modern clothing:

did'nt get funded.

It is hard not to brighten up a grey t-shirt.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Machai posted:

It is hard not to brighten up a grey t-shirt.

Doubtless adding a tacky pocket with a hideous design in muted colours is the way to do it...

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Those are the most boring t-shirts I've ever seen.

According to the facebook link that's on the page, the designer is studying Photography for Fashion at university. You would think they'd be able to come up with something a little less terrible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No, you guys obviously don't understand! They're grey t-shirts, but the pocket is white with blue polka dots! That's not the same design at all! It's so wacky and quirky, you guys!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's not even an original idea.

$15 at Kohls, Google says 15 GBP is ~$23.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Open Source Death Star project didn't reach its £20,000,000 goal. :(

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's not even an original idea.

$15 at Kohls, Google says 15 GBP is ~$23.

Not only that, but it looks better... there's more contrast and pop here. It actually looks pretty alright with that pleasing pattern and colour scheme.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hey guys look at these stupid nerds with their dorky steampunk thing over at some ghost town in the California desert. That's. . . Totally lame, and not cool at all. Hot air balloons totally, uh, suck. And are stupid. Oh big woop you get to soar over the earth and gaze down upon the middling peons as they scurry about like ants. Who likes that? Nobody. Babies, mostly.

This doesn't look cool at all. I'm totally going to go just to laugh at them. Psh, nerds. Am I right?

Meanwhile, someone with a PhD fished out of a crackerjack box claims to need fourty-five thousand dollars to hunt ghosts, and to set up equipment that will allow you, the basement-dwelling snack masters that fund him, to assist in the hunt via webcams.

eta- take a look at some of their "difficult to explain" video evidence if you need persuasion.

PHIZ KALIFA has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Apr 1, 2013

Gruyurg
Aug 9, 2012
I'm not sure whether this is the best idea ever or the worst idea ever.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

It's like someone found the designer of the Mountain Three Wolf shirt and commissioned them to create one more masterpiece.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I know a few people who would buy a shitload of these. Still going with worst idea ever.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Why are they saying "One copy of" for all the pillows and stuff. That seems strange. Also since it is actually licensed, that isn't that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Ludo plush! GIMME!

Also, it would be better if it were a full-sized Jareth body pillow.