Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
Playing a full-trilogy run again and I'm still being surprised how much new stuff I'm finding in ME1. I've already done lots of missions and heard tons of dialogue I never heard the first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Cometa Rossa posted:

Playing a full-trilogy run again and I'm still being surprised how much new stuff I'm finding in ME1. I've already done lots of missions and heard tons of dialogue I never heard the first time around.

In my last ME1 playthrough, I finally unlocked the paragon/renegade option to convince Ashley about how her perspective about the Council races was wrong. It was completely by accident too.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

VirtualStranger posted:

One of the places it's really noticable is whenever one character cuts off another on in the middle of a sentence. Instead of the Character 1 interjecting while Character 2 is speaking, Character 2 will stop speaking right in the middle of a sentence and then about a second later Character 1 will begin their line.
Yeah I noticed that a lot more in 3:

"But..."
(2 second pause)
"Do it, Lieutenant!"

It doesn't ruin anything, but it's still jarring and it took the otherwise seamless editing down to Saturday morning cartoon level.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Safetyland posted:

New to to game - do any of you find that the voice acting is implemented really poorly in it's pacing? Every conversation plays out painfully slow for me. It feels really tacked on and it's driving me crazy. I'm all for pauses between retorts for dramatic effect, but do we really need to wait a whole loving second and a half or more between them?
Are you playing ME1? If so, I know what you're talking about, because I've also noticed this before (on the PC, at least). You'll be happy to hear that this issue is completely or almost completely absent from ME2 and ME3, though. Unless you're currently playing either of those, in which case you may have stumbled upon some sort of bug.

SubponticatePoster posted:

If you have Leviathan the Raider is also a nice choice; high damage and slightly more forgiving than the Claymore since you get 2 shots.
Why not use the Graal? Three shots (even if it's firing rate is a little lower), more damage, and actually accuracy so you don't always have to use it at point-blank range.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That was happening in the Citadel DLC when (if) you get Mordin's padd from STG with the messages and songs. The songs are all recorded line by line, so there's this unnatural pause between each line as he's singing. Makes it horribly disjointed. I still may have teared up at 'Amazing Grace'. :smith:

Also, has anyone else played ME: Infiltrator on the iPad? I just started playing, and was curious to see what others think. The controls are horribly fiddly and 'style points' can gently caress right off.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

VirtualStranger posted:

One of the places it's really noticable is whenever one character cuts off another on in the middle of a sentence. Instead of the Character 1 interjecting while Character 2 is speaking, Character 2 will stop speaking right in the middle of a sentence and then about a second later Character 1 will begin their line.
Yeah, this is pretty much the worst. I think it might be because ME only allocates one audio channel for dialogue? So they can't have more than one character speaking at any given moment.

The conversation pacing IS a little slow, although I think most of the people in this thread have played ME so much they're used to it by now. Honestly what annoys me more is how longwinded the dialogue tends to be. I found that in Mass Effect 2, if I just hit space after each character finished their first sentence (skipping the 1-3 sentences that followed), 90% of the time the cutscenes made just as much sense. That's a lot of unnecessary babble.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

magimix posted:

and also isn't it the case that the PC versions for some insane reason don't natively support controller? Nor rejig the UI if you have one plugged in?
There's no controller support at all, and since the UI is different it's impossible to set it up to play like the console version even with 3rd party programs.

I actually just finished my first playthrough of the series on PC a few nights ago. It was a lot easier getting used to than I thought it would be after the 3 or 4 runthroughs I've done on the 360, but I still wish I could just plug and play with my 360 controller like I can in 95% of PC releases these days. The dialog wheel is obviously designed for controllers, and even with hotkeys using powers never felt as natural as it did on the 360.

It's especially annoying since the official FAQ for the game on EA's webpage actually said ME3 would have full controller support. It wasn't until the demo came out that everyone found out it wouldn't.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

It's great if you have (or get) a mouse that has easily accessible buttons you can program. I have 3 buttons just to the left of my left-click button that I changed to 1, 2, and 3, and that's generally all the buttons I need (1: singularity, 2: warp, 3; energy drain/overload; 1: charge, 2: nova, 3: who gives a poo poo), despite having four others I could use. Playing like that also makes it more fun to be fast-paced and limit the amount of times you bring up the power menu. WASD for movement will be relatively awkward to get used to, but that's probably the best system computer games without controller or joystick support are gonna do for awhile.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

CPFortest posted:

In my last ME1 playthrough, I finally unlocked the paragon/renegade option to convince Ashley about how her perspective about the Council races was wrong. It was completely by accident too.

I had no idea such a thing even existed. Then again, the only time I kept Ashley alive on my first playthrough, during which I missed a lot of stuff because I was gripped by the storyline and kind of plowed through it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jabarto posted:

I had no idea such a thing even existed. Then again, the only time I kept Ashley alive on my first playthrough, during which I missed a lot of stuff because I was gripped by the storyline and kind of plowed through it.

Ah, then you missed the renegade option where you convince her that there is no god I suppose, too.

One of my favorite things about Mass Effect 1 is how if your persuasion score is high enough, you can literally shout (or charm, but shouting's more fun) at the final boss until he kills himself. I've only ever been able to do it with Paragon though--to get the Renegade score high enough, you have to do some pretty brutal stuff that I often shy away from (at Feros, for example...).

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

When are you supposed to do the Citadel dlc? It just became available, but I still haven't done the planets for Tali/Legion or Samara so I don't know if that's fine or I'll be missing out on Bro Moments with them

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

RentACop posted:

When are you supposed to do the Citadel dlc? It just became available, but I still haven't done the planets for Tali/Legion or Samara so I don't know if that's fine or I'll be missing out on Bro Moments with them

I shared your concerns. It kicks in right after tuchanka.

I was told that For Best Results do it right before entering the end game, and it's true.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chexoid posted:

I shared your concerns. It kicks in right after tuchanka.

I was told that For Best Results do it right before entering the end game, and it's true.

It just came up in the thread when I asked about it, but you can do the combat mission as soon as it's available without much consequence, since the only party member that will join you is Wrex (and Tali, so finish Rannoch maybe). Plus you get a neato weapon, which would be great to have for the remainder of the game if you like it. But as for the rest of the DLC, that should wait until the end, since any party members you unlock will be able to come to the party.

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've only ever been able to do it with Paragon though--to get the Renegade score high enough, you have to do some pretty brutal stuff that I often shy away from (at Feros, for example...).

It's not that hard to get enough Intimidate points (you need 9 if you used Charm/Intimidate on Virmire). ME1 gives you assloads of Renegade points for little things like bluffing Lorik Qui'in.

And the line is way better: "There's still one way to stop this, if you've got the guts!" I always get that outcome and I finish the game with a maxed Paragon meter (saving the Rachni Queen and all the Feros colonists, etc.)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ah, then you missed the renegade option where you convince her that there is no god I suppose, too.

One of my favorite things about Mass Effect 1 is how if your persuasion score is high enough, you can literally shout (or charm, but shouting's more fun) at the final boss until he kills himself. I've only ever been able to do it with Paragon though--to get the Renegade score high enough, you have to do some pretty brutal stuff that I often shy away from (at Feros, for example...).
Nah, I've saved all the Feros colonists and spared Shiala and the Rachni queen and have still gotten over 75% Renegade and fully filled my Intimidate bar without even using a guide. It's very easy in ME1.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Chexoid posted:

Ainsley McTree posted:

But as for the rest of the DLC, that should wait until the end, since any party members you unlock will be able to come to the party.

Thanks, all shall attend my party, it's going to be great.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lycus posted:

Nah, I've saved all the Feros colonists and spared Shiala and the Rachni queen and have still gotten over 75% Renegade and fully filled my Intimidate bar without even using a guide. It's very easy in ME1.

I guess I'm just bad at video games then :saddowns:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Ainsley McTree posted:

It just came up in the thread when I asked about it, but you can do the combat mission as soon as it's available without much consequence, since the only party member that will join you is Wrex (and Tali, so finish Rannoch maybe). Plus you get a neato weapon, which would be great to have for the remainder of the game if you like it. But as for the rest of the DLC, that should wait until the end, since any party members you unlock will be able to come to the party.

Note that you do not have to finish Rannoch for Tali to be involved. As long as you've met with the quarian admirals and she's on the ship, she's a permanent squad member despite what she may say. You don't even have to do the dreadnought mission.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Note that you do not have to finish Rannoch for Tali to be involved. As long as you've met with the quarian admirals and she's on the ship, she's a permanent squad member despite what she may say. You don't even have to do the dreadnought mission.

I thought for sure that this wasn't the case in my game (I picked up Tali from the fleet but didn't finish Rannoch before starting the citadel mission and she wasn't there), but maybe I'm just not remembering it right...I'm 99% sure that she at least didn't show up to the party (which I also unfortunately did right away), anyway.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Ainsley McTree posted:

I thought for sure that this wasn't the case in my game (I picked up Tali from the fleet but didn't finish Rannoch before starting the citadel mission and she wasn't there), but maybe I'm just not remembering it right...I'm 99% sure that she at least didn't show up to the party (which I also unfortunately did right away), anyway.

I think you're mistaken from my experience at least. On my latest character to run through the DLC I still have the final Rannoch mission active and Tali was there the whole time for the Citadel storyline. She counts as a member of your squad once you meet her for the first time on the Normandy although she doesn't "officially" join the crew until after the Rannoch arc is done. It doesn't stop you from taking her to missions completely unrelated to Rannoch though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Sombrerotron posted:

Why not use the Graal? Three shots (even if it's firing rate is a little lower), more damage, and actually accuracy so you don't always have to use it at point-blank range.
The graal is fantastic, I just use the raider on my EDIbot in MP and you can poo poo out damage. Also if you're shotgun infiltrating you should be at point blank range, as far as I'm concerned :getin:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

RentACop posted:

Thanks, all shall attend my party, it's going to be great.
I'm still morbidly curious how the party plays out if you've managed to get all pre-ME3 squaddies killed. It must be the saddest, most depressing thing imaginable.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Also if you're shotgun infiltrating you should be at point blank range, as far as I'm concerned :getin:
I agree in principle, but acknowledge that sometimes you might want to shoot at someone a little farther away, regardless.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sombrerotron posted:

I'm still morbidly curious how the party plays out if you've managed to get all pre-ME3 squaddies killed. It must be the saddest, most depressing thing imaginable.

Depending on when you hold it, you could have a party consisting of just Traynor, Cortez, EDI, Liara, Vega and Joker, no?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Depending on when you hold it, you could have a party consisting of just Traynor, Cortez, EDI, Liara, Vega and Joker, no?
Thought I'd add spoiler tags, just in case.

But yes - I momentarily forgot that Liara is the one exception to the lethality rule.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CPFortest posted:

And then it turned out she was right.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

sassassin posted:

Only mostly. The Turian Councilor helped. Well, he told you where to go to get help, at least.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Looking at the ME2 DLC again, is there any way to purchase more than one set of Bioware points at a time? I don't like the idea of making two or three credit card transactions when I could just make one, but there doesn't seem to be a "continue shopping" or "add to your cart" option on Bioware's Social Network (and I can't seem to find the DLC through Origin either?

They sure as hell don't make this easy.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Jerusalem posted:

Looking at the ME2 DLC again, is there any way to purchase more than one set of Bioware points at a time? I don't like the idea of making two or three credit card transactions when I could just make one, but there doesn't seem to be a "continue shopping" or "add to your cart" option on Bioware's Social Network (and I can't seem to find the DLC through Origin either?

They sure as hell don't make this easy.

You can also you the points via Origin. I'd guess that it allows you to buy multiple packs at once.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Smol posted:

You can also you the points via Origin. I'd guess that it allows you to buy multiple packs at once.

The points transfer over to the Bioware site (the only place you can buy the DLC), yeah? That'll do it, then.

This REALLY could be made a little more user-friendly.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Only those who prove themselves may purchase DLC.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Just replayed Mass Effect 3 for the first time since release, after getting all the DLC. So many awesome moments. Everything about The Citadel DLC was awesome and I completely forgot I was about to hit the ending. Spent 2 hours in the simulator just shooting bitches and racking up them scores. Hell, even Omega and Leviathan were decent.

And then the ending showed up. The difference in tone, pacing, quality, just everything is so loving jarring. Up until the ending everything is "We can do this, yeah, just got to gut it out and shoot some reapers and make some space bros." And then the ending shows up and is so dark, fatalistic and depressing. Shep just wants to go on suicide missions with his/her bros without everybody turning into a whiny bitch.

Super end game spoilers
The "gently caress you, I don't play by your rules" ending is hilarious. It is so vindictive towards the backlash Bio recieved. "You don't like our endings? Here you go, rocks fall and everybody dies. Enjoy your ending. Consequences bitch :devil:"

Also, the Normandy landing to pick up your two squad members and splitting is so asinine I don't even know what the gently caress they were thinking. Harbringer is right loving there. If he doesn't swat you out of the sky, at least shoot the fucker a few times. But nope, just had a plot hole to fill, nothing more.

At least the actual endings were slightly improved. Synthesis is still a retarded premise, but Control and Destroy both felt markedly improved. Though, the destroy ending completely smoothing over the whole murdering EDI and Geth thing is awkward. Not once is it addressed in the ending.

All in all, the game is super fun, and I'm no longer so dissatisfied with the ending that it clouds everything about the game. Mass Effect 2 is still king though.

And the ends are bad.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

The points transfer over to the Bioware site (the only place you can buy the DLC), yeah? That'll do it, then.

This REALLY could be made a little more user-friendly.

If I install ME2 through Origin it downloads the DLC automatically. I would hope that you can buy the DLC through Origin as well now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Replaying Mass Effect 1 and I didn't recall FemShep getting (and giving) so much sexually-charged talk, Jesus Christ. I click what looks like an innocuous pleasantry for Kaidan and suddenly,"So we should totally bone!" pops out of nowhere. Plus Kaidan talking about this one hot chick at Brain Camp who was totally awesome and sexy just like you, superior officer I barely know :heysexy: or Conrad Verner going on about how beautiful she is. I don't recall MaleShep having anywhere near this much type of thing pop up.

Also, mother of God I'd forgotten how annoying the inventory system was.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dan Didio posted:

Only those who prove themselves may purchase DLC.

Pinnacle Station? You have chosen... Poorly.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

sassassin posted:

She might have been being a total rear end in a top hat, but she was calling it like she saw it. I'm trying to think of a good analogy but I really can't. I guess it's that she was being brutally pragmatic with the way she saw things?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Two Finger posted:

She might have been being a total rear end in a top hat, but she was calling it like she saw it. I'm trying to think of a good analogy but I really can't. I guess it's that she was being brutally pragmatic with the way she saw things?
The word you're probably looking for is "cynical".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's no excuse for the,"I can't tell the difference between the aliens and the animals!" line though :mad:

Edit: Plus she uses the,"I'm not racist, but....." thing.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm kind of confused about how she was proven right when the whole theme of Mass Effect 3 was that everyone in the galaxy had to cooperate instead of looking out for number one.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Rincewind posted:

I'm kind of confused about how she was proven right when the whole theme of Mass Effect 3 was that everyone in the galaxy had to cooperate instead of looking out for number one.
Everyone had to cooperate, yes, but how many of the Citadel species were willing to stick out their necks for humanity before Shepard went up and basically solved all their other major problems for them, first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Rincewind posted:

Shepard asks the Council to help take back Earth, but he is denied and the council races just reinforce their own borders against the Reapers.

• Locked thread