Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Intercooler + boost piping? Push bars? Sideways lumber rack? All of the above? You decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Do all shops have a hot tank? Not sure about that specific shop but I'm not sure if your average tire change / muffler swap / brake job place has much use for one.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Well, that's on the street (because most race tracks don't have four way stops, a diesel garage and a parking lot attached to them, I assume).

However, our local track had a number of pretty deep gouges on some corners from where the local drift retards' cars decided to drop trou and nearly high centre. They never maintained it because the track was shutting down.

The best part is when they hit each other.

There is a big go-kart track in WI that a couple of autox clubs can use as a Autox/Lapping day course. Well the drift retards run on the track with Autocross insurance and then proceed to go wheel to wheel with each other without helmets. They also posted video on youtube of them drinking/playing beer pong in the pits while the event was going on. :ughh:

When something happens the drifters are going to screw everyone else out of being able to run at that place.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Do all shops have a hot tank? Not sure about that specific shop but I'm not sure if your average tire change / muffler swap / brake job place has much use for one.

It's usually done by a shop specializing in those types of things. It takes a big tank of rather nasty chemicals (sometimes several) to run hot baths. There should be a shop in any metropolitan area that performs hot baths.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'm sure someone dumb enough to never change their oil is not going to know any better and find a shop with the proper tools/equipment to repair the engine. Honestly they almost deserve getting charged all of that labor. If they are that negligent on the oil changes, imagine the rest of the car, and imagine their driving ability!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Found holding the seat down in CommissarGribbs' YJ. Turns out a lovely repair shop he brought it to years ago did some "quality" floor pan repair - that was originally a weldnut on the bottom of the floorboard, inside a stiffening rib welded to the underside of the cab/tub. What it is right now is a conglomeration of booger welds holding a 1/2" hex nut down, with a piece of threaded rod going through center, a (trapped, and inaccessible) nut on it inside the stiffening rib. So the total stackup as produced by the shop was nylock nut, random bit of sheetmetal acting as a fender washer, bucket seat mounting bracket, floor, booger welded sheetmetal and 1/2" nut, nut on threaded rod, stiffening rib, big 1/4" thick 2" diameter washer that was probably actually leftover from using a holesaw on some steel plate, and another nylock nut.

What a loving mess. This is why I work on everything myself, at least I know what's hack and what isn't instead of paying some idiot to do it and not knowing what they hosed up and what they didn't.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

kastein posted:

Found holding the seat down in CommissarGribbs' YJ. Turns out a lovely repair shop he brought it to years ago did some "quality" floor pan repair - that was originally a weldnut on the bottom of the floorboard, inside a stiffening rib welded to the underside of the cab/tub. What it is right now is a conglomeration of booger welds holding a 1/2" hex nut down, with a piece of threaded rod going through center, a (trapped, and inaccessible) nut on it inside the stiffening rib. So the total stackup as produced by the shop was nylock nut, random bit of sheetmetal acting as a fender washer, bucket seat mounting bracket, floor, booger welded sheetmetal and 1/2" nut, nut on threaded rod, stiffening rib, big 1/4" thick 2" diameter washer that was probably actually leftover from using a holesaw on some steel plate, and another nylock nut.

What a loving mess. This is why I work on everything myself, at least I know what's hack and what isn't instead of paying some idiot to do it and not knowing what they hosed up and what they didn't.

You should really invest in some mechanix gloves.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

You should really invest in some mechanix gloves.

I can't wear glove when working on my cars, they get caught on things and don't let me reach into those tight spaces in between the body and the engine

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mechanix gloves are great for some things, but I can't use them for anything dexterous.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Edit: nm

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 27, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

FogHelmut posted:

Mechanix gloves are great for some things, but I can't use them for anything dexterous.

Cut the fingertips off at the last knuckle. :)

Bathroom Surprise
Feb 15, 2005

http://www.mechanix.com/cg-framer-glove

Picked up a pair of these a while back

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Pretty sure this qualifies as terrible car stuff:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's sad.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Kenshin posted:

My whole brain is crying. :(

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Godholio posted:

Cut the fingertips off at the last knuckle. :)

Ok, now I'm bleeding everywhere and it hurts to type. What was this supposed to accomplish?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Kenshin posted:

You know what's not sad about it? That car is worth so much there's no way it won't be rebuilt. :)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

trouser chili posted:

Ok, now I'm bleeding everywhere and it hurts to type. What was this supposed to accomplish?

Lost fingat

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wasn't able to get a picture, but I saw a guy driving a G35 with a poorly-fitted bumper to make it look like a GT-R yesterday.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Endless Mike posted:

I wasn't able to get a picture, but I saw a guy driving a G35 with a poorly-fitted bumper to make it look like a GT-R yesterday.

And it's more common than you think.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MrChips posted:

You know what's not sad about it? That car is worth so much there's no way it won't be rebuilt. :)

Exactly. If they'll spend over $1.3M to rebuild Rowan Atkinson's McLaren F1, they'll rebuild this.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

MrChips posted:

Yeah, it's in good hands already. The dude who crashed it is a mechanic for one of the premier Merc restoration shops in Germany. :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

parrhesia posted:

Yeah, it's in good hands already. The dude who crashed it is a mechanic for one of the premier Merc restoration shops in Germany. :v:

Hope it's not a customer car then, or that he's found not at fault.

You know what? I'm gonna go further than I did originally and say I'm happy to see a smashed up Gullwing. Because it means someone is actually driving it and enjoying it, instead of wrapping it in plastic and burying it in their car collection forevermore.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

parrhesia posted:

Lindsay Fox, a millionaire transport company owner in Australia, and massive Mercedes fan, has a wooden buck for the 300SL and can make his own body parts for that car. I think he has a few 300SLs in his garage.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

trouser chili posted:

Unexpected comedy. Mission accomplished.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

MrChips posted:

Of course it was a customer car and the mechanic rolled it on a "test drive" going too fast into a corner on a rainy street. But yeah, the garage's insurance will cover it and the owner is apparently pretty chill about it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

parrhesia posted:

Of course it was a customer car and the mechanic rolled it on a "test drive" going too fast into a corner on a rainy street. But yeah, the garage's insurance will cover it and the owner is apparently pretty chill about it.

What's better than getting your 300sl back? Getting a new 300sl!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
That honestly looks pretty good for having been rolled.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Meanwhile, at WalMart..

1 1/2 years on the shelf can only do good things to lead acid batteries. :haw: The battery behind it had a 12/11 label. I guess group 75 isn't that common? My car actually uses a group 75, but since it's in the trunk, it uses special snowflake external venting that makes it a pain in the rear end to find a battery in a hurry (the 75s at WalMart don't have that venting, according to the catalog).

And over in the clearance aisle..

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you need a battery, I think Diehard 75s are vented. I know we've installed batteries in mercs and BMWs that sat in the trunk.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

some texas redneck posted:

And over in the clearance aisle..

Walmart.jpg

Theres something called a lazy groomer, a can of paint next to a painting (picture I guess), and something leopard. I would have believed you if you claimed that was a regular aisle.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fucknag posted:

If you need a battery, I think Diehard 75s are vented. I know we've installed batteries in mercs and BMWs that sat in the trunk.

From what I've been able to dig up, Diehards seem to be one of the only batteries that works with the factory venting with no modification (Deka seems to be the only other name popping up as a direct replacement). Delco batteries are actually reasonably priced, but (a) they've gone way downhill in quality and (b) it looks like they don't even make a drop-in replacement anymore. A lot of people don't seem to give a poo poo about the venting; I don't care to pump hydrogen into my trunk, however.

The one Diehard I've owned outlasted the car - I owned the car for a bit over 4 years, the battery came with the car.. and went with the car.

My battery is definitely on borrowed time - it's the original (from June 2005), and the engine turns over a bit sluggish on cold mornings. Finding out that it was an externally-vented battery has made me a bit :tinfoil: about tracking down a replacement before it craps out. Though I fully intend to run this one until it dies, more just so I can say "I got 9 years out of a battery, with our 110+ summers". :v:

StormDrain posted:

Walmart.jpg

Theres something called a lazy groomer, a can of paint next to a painting (picture I guess), and something leopard. I would have believed you if you claimed that was a regular aisle.

I should mention that this WalMart has only been open for about 2 years. The last time I saw ricer modz like this in a WalMart was around 2001.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

MrChips posted:

You know what? I'm gonna go further than I did originally and say I'm happy to see a smashed up Gullwing. Because it means someone is actually driving it and enjoying it, instead of wrapping it in plastic and burying it in their car collection forevermore.

This will warm your heart then:

http://vimeo.com/42983057

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

echoplex posted:

This will warm your heart then:

http://vimeo.com/42983057

:gizz:

That motor sounds absolutely sexual.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMjlkU590mQ

I will never understand how people can be so bad at parking.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

:gizz:

That motor sounds absolutely sexual.

gently caress you ain't kidding. The acceleration shot from inside, my god.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I love that he has a modern radio in it, too. He really does drive it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A beautiful essay, and I can't agree more. I've totalled one '66 Pontiac, in 2000; the replacement's been driven about 11000-miles since then. It's tough to balance between driving and curating. It's driven everywhere from shows to the grocery store.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999...5#ht_500wt_1176

The "roll cage" is built with either thin wall EMT or exhaust tube :suicide:

Pretty sure it's exhaust tube from the bends and the way two of the bars in the cargo area are expanded and sleeved over the next section.

e: as for needing mechanics gloves - I have a set of mechanix, but I have no idea where they are right now. I got that battle wound loosening a unit bearing hub bolt because I was an idiot and pulled the axle housing out of the truck before removing the hub bolts instead of the other way around... that axle housing replacement was absolutely no fun. At least it's done now. I hit that finger by pinching it between the axle housing and a breaker bar when a bolt torqued to 150+ foot pounds came loose, I doubt a mechanics glove would have saved me any skin.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Looks like a lexan windshield too. Yeah, that's an "off road only" vehicle that I wouldn't trust off road.