Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
And yet didnt you toxx yourself by offering to go first? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

XboxPants posted:

I'll post a BANME thread. This thread will contain as many incorrect statements or predictions I've made about the OUYA as I can find

So basically it would have been this thread.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Holy poo poo those box pictures on Amazon;

AND SO BEGINS THE REVOLUTION

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
No, THE REVOLOUYATION*

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

XboxPants posted:

I just noticed that Amazon now has images of the box/packaging now: http://www.amazon.com/OUYA-Console/dp/B0050SZD18/ref=zg_bsms_videogames_15 Looks nice.

I like their slogan: "Free the games". I hope that box has a tiny speaker built it that continually plays sad violin music while tiny voices shout "Free us! Free us!".

And I just noticed the other pictures dear god are they serious? "And so begins the revolution"? This can't get any more stupid unless the BOO-URNSYA comes with a Che Guevara t-shirt.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Ouya: The Die is Cast

godface zillah
Nov 18, 2012

Ouyaccupy Wall Street. Down with the big one percent. We will redistribute the games that the greedy corporate fat cats have horded for themselves.

Vulpine Complex
Apr 13, 2007

Oh my god, the Amazon page is just a treasure trove of smug.

OBANGA's Amazon Page posted:

OUYA... lovingly made by a team of gamers who believe that console games will never die.

Because; as we all know; console gaming has been in it's death throws for years.

Also this:

CHIMICHANGA marketing drivel posted:

OUYA is about the size of a Rubik’s cube, but it plays hard in full-screen HD. It uses an nVIDIA quad-core CPU and outputs via HDMI at up to a stunning 1080p resolution. It powers on instantly.
:allears:

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
Was there ever any explanation given for what on earth possessed them to name their revolutionary product "OUYA". Did they just throw together four letters at random and just go "oh that kinda sounds like oh yeah said weirdly"? Or is there some lovely marketing speak justification, because those are always fun to read at the best of times.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

OUYA is the sound you make when you play hard.

Like you are benching the concept of gaming itself.

OUYA

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
At first I thought they were trying to get the face buttons to line up as well as they could with existing gamepads, while still having enough plausible deniability to say they weren't copying. You know, Y and A from the xbox controller, and circle, and I guess the U looks kind of like a square from the playstation side.

And then they went and arranged the buttons so they didn't even match up anyway, which was kind of :psyduck:.

e: Also I'm way late on this, but "TV exclusive" sounds like what you'd call a movie that was too bad to actually show in a cinema anywhere and so you just put it in the no-one-actually-watches-this 2am timeslot on one of the movie channels or something.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Shorter Than Some posted:

Was there ever any explanation given for what on earth possessed them to name their revolutionary product "OUYA". Did they just throw together four letters at random and just go "oh that kinda sounds like oh yeah said weirdly"? Or is there some lovely marketing speak justification, because those are always fun to read at the best of times.

It's the opposite of WiiU.

Blue Rupie
Mar 25, 2013
The whole UBER marketing must be revolving around the Chinese idiom 'calling a deer a horse'. Only this time they're calling an outdated smartphone which doesn't take calls a SLAYER OF THE BIG THREE!

Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho

Archer666 posted:

I like their slogan: "Free the games". I hope that box has a tiny speaker built it that continually plays sad violin music while tiny voices shout "Free us! Free us!".

And I just noticed the other pictures dear god are they serious? "And so begins the revolution"? This can't get any more stupid unless the BOO-URNSYA comes with a Che Guevara t-shirt.

I feel like it should be mentioned how easy this would be to make as a mod. One of us should probably ironically buy one of these and do this.

XboxPants posted:

(in case you're curious, Raditts was unwilling to actually back up his bravado, so there's no toxx out on him)

Some bravado there toxxing yourself over an almost certainty. CONSOLE ARRIVED WITH CONTROLLER: SUCCESSFUL CONSOLE!

blog commentor posted:

It sounds like you really need to check your expectations with reality If you really thought you would buy a sub 200 dollar system, with unlimited free games, and more added all the time.. then it's time to brush up on economics. Companies exist to make money.

My blog has pictures of home-made cottage cheese and coffee on it; How could a kick-starter ever betray me????

See the thing is he's right, he got screwed; but he got screwed because he did something stupid (that being giving money to a complete stranger for an unfinished product)- and now he's stuck arguing with people (who I imagine to wear funny hats) on his blog about it.

Divine Disclaimer fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 30, 2013

Dec 26, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

Ouya: The Die is Cast

Ouya Iacta Est.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Shorter Than Some posted:

Was there ever any explanation given for what on earth possessed them to name their revolutionary product "OUYA".

Actual answer: they found a stock sound effect that sounded cool.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

01011001 posted:

Ouya Iacta Est.

The Big Three delenda est.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

XboxPants posted:

I just noticed that Amazon now has images of the box/packaging now: http://www.amazon.com/OUYA-Console/dp/B0050SZD18/ref=zg_bsms_videogames_15 Looks nice.

I realize this is from a few pages ago, but I figured I'd better look this up to make sure I'm not about to get a surprise :toxx: ban.

Nope, I've been playing a game of continously shifting goalposts with a couple posters in this thread. Back in December, people thought the controller would just ever exist at all, let alone on time:

(in case you're curious, Raditts was unwilling to actually back up his bravado, so there's no toxx out on him)

Okay, I guess I was technically wrong. GUESS I'LL HAVE TO GO BACK AND EDIT THAT OUT. Did I do that right?
I do think it's adorable that you apparently keep a spreadsheet of every negative thing someone might have said so you can go all :smug: on them later. I guess that makes my wrong score 1, and yours like seven billion.

Does it still count as a controller if it barely corresponds to what's on screen and crumbles in your hands when you try to use it, though?

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 30, 2013

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

raditts posted:

Okay, I guess I was technically wrong. GUESS I'LL HAVE TO GO BACK AND EDIT THAT OUT. Did I do that right?

If you've spent months claiming the product won't include an item, you should be able to own up to being completely and utterly wrong - in fact, more wrong on that particular point than XboxPants that you spent the entire thread mocking.

Just seems weird to see people post their predictions with a sort of smug certainty for months and months, and when it turns out they were wrong, just completely ignore it or try to turn it around on the other person as "nitpicky"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rakthar posted:

If you've spent months claiming the product won't include an item, you should be able to own up to being completely and utterly wrong - in fact, more wrong on that particular point than XboxPants that you spent the entire thread mocking.

I didn't spend months claiming that, it's something I said once like 5 months ago. I didn't even remember writing it, honestly.
And I don't have much of a problem saying I was wrong about it since I don't really give that much of a poo poo. I mean the controllers are reportedly hot garbage and barely work, but they are shipping with the thing so I guess he's got me there.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 30, 2013

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

XboxPants posted:

It's a loving render you doofus.

A render of the packaging, who would've guessed it!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

My respect for games journalism has reached an all time low. Despite the incredible amount of articles documenting the poor games selection, the tepid launch and the awful controller/input lag most outlets seem content remarking on the party they probably got free drinks to attend. Is there any magazine, website or blog out they willing to slaughter the sacred cow and give the ouya the article it deserves? Dang dudes literally the only thing I need you all for is telling me whether or not something is worth buying and you are all really letting me down :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

raditts posted:

Does it still count as a controller if it barely corresponds to what's on screen and crumbles in your hands when you try to use it, though?

The Bluetooth device that comes with the KSHATRIYA is really more of a "suggester" than a "controller."

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Prop Wash posted:

My respect for games journalism has reached an all time low. Despite the incredible amount of articles documenting the poor games selection, the tepid launch and the awful controller/input lag most outlets seem content remarking on the party they probably got free drinks to attend. Is there any magazine, website or blog out they willing to slaughter the sacred cow and give the ouya the article it deserves? Dang dudes literally the only thing I need you all for is telling me whether or not something is worth buying and you are all really letting me down :(

I don't get this either. Usually GAMES JOURNALISM fawns over something because they're in whatever developer's pocket. Unless they're staying positive to get pageviews from the OUYA faithful, there's no reason they shouldn't be highly critical of it, right?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Prop Wash posted:

There was this one that was posted a few pages ago, but this really isn't something that should shock you about Games Journalism at this point.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm watching a UI software tour that someone just uploaded here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2KZcc-XzWc
The dev unit controllers apparently don't pair to the retail console. Nice extra kick to the nads of developers who paid $800 for a horrible prototype release.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

raditts posted:

There was this one that was posted a few pages ago, but this really isn't something that should shock you about Games Journalism at this point.

I would expect more bashing because a hugely negative article would be fantastic linkbait.

I think that the reason is just that game journalists are the type to love an underdog story, no matter how dumb.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The story of the MOOLTIPASS failing has already been written, and no matter how or why it fails, Uhrman will have many jobs waiting for her.

The people who work under her? Probably not so much.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Prop Wash posted:

No, because when you take down a lovely product everyone (especially the target but who gives a poo poo in this case) is less likely to want to deal with you in the future because the next take down could be on their lovely product instead.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Holy poo poo, it's peak hipster.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Madcosby posted:

Here's Ouya-developer master Dreamzle's game; which is on that list for sale right now: The Secret of Universe Alpha (not sure if that's the name of the universe or the build).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KniKH9Yfl5Y

Perfect music selection.

I think I've spent too much time in this thread, I think I need to buy a AAA twin-stick shooter knock off to remember what textures look like

Game trailer where the player dies to a stationary object a minute in. Two Zelda references. Weird perspective that crams the ship 2/3 the way up the screen. Dumb voice clip when the boss appears.

Still pretty good for an OUYA title.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

peter gabriel posted:

It's a loving render you doofus.

A render of the packaging, who would've guessed it!

To be fair, everything is rendered these days.

http://www.keyshot.com/gallery/

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Unguided posted:

My favorite part is that there are about ten different music clips, and they're all 5 seconds long.

Vulpine Complex
Apr 13, 2007

Oh boy, UGANDA unboxing videos!

I just about died when he pulls the paper back to reveal the controller in pieces.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Vulpine Complex posted:

I just about died when he pulls the paper back to reveal the controller in pieces.

"There are people working effortlessly to get games up [on the OUYA]". A Freudian slip that could be a new thread title.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"There are people working effortlessly to get games up [on the OUYA]".

"Effortlessly" eh? Sounds about right.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It's not a very well packaged piece of electronics is it? Anything I've ever bought that was worth even the tiniest bit of money was wrapped very very carefully.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Vulpine Complex posted:

I love how he says that the dev console was flimsy and that the fan shakes around, 'but in this one even if the fan is shaking around you wouldn't be able to tell'.

Obviously if the poor manufacture isn't readily visible, it doesn't exist at all!

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Fooley posted:

I don't get this either. Usually GAMES JOURNALISM fawns over something because they're in whatever developer's pocket. Unless they're staying positive to get pageviews from the OUYA faithful, there's no reason they shouldn't be highly critical of it, right?

It's just the pandering style of journalism where you publish lots of softball articles about anything that has a lot of hype surrounding it but not a lot of solid information. Kids and manchildren generally don't like being told there's no santa (the 8.8/10 incident comes to mind) so the articles wind up overly optimistic just so the fanbase doesn't get pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Unguided posted:

Game trailer where the player dies to a stationary object a minute in. Two Zelda references. Weird perspective that crams the ship 2/3 the way up the screen. Dumb voice clip when the boss appears.

It looks like a 3D version of Klik N' Play games I used to make when I was a kid.

• Locked thread