Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

redshirt posted:

Which made me realize I'd enjoy listening to left wing radio. Is there anything out there worthwhile? Note, NPR is too right wing for my tastes these days.
Podcasts are the general way to go in terms of that, as far as I know - I live in the UK so can't offer any choices in terms of radio, but I'm sure the podcast forum here on SA can give you some good pointers if you don't mind those. I get the impression that leftist discussions don't translate terribly well over into radio, especially not in the USA, if only because the right-wing ideology is so predominately strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Amazing, yeah, judging by the language used that has to be what I was thinking of, even if I'd wrongly remembered the focus being on the White House, not Congress. Thanks!

redshirt posted:

Which made me realize I'd enjoy listening to left wing radio. Is there anything out there worthwhile? Note, NPR is too right wing for my tastes these days.

I would suggest looking into college radio. Check the schedules of any college radio stations in your area, and when they're not playing Godspeed You Black Emperor they tend to have pretty leftward leaning news material.

And Pacifica.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

redshirt posted:

Somewhat relatedly, Jim Rome (sports radio) went on an extended discussion of marriage equality in general, and homosexuality in sports in specific. A couple of callers came right in with the "It's a sin, they need to repent" bit and he went right after them. It was refreshing. It's always interesting to me when political/cultural topics break into sports radio. It's pretty rare and usually the hosts will turn away quickly, so it was fascinating to hear Rome take on the subject.

Stephanie Miller! https://www.stephaniemiller.com/

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Stephanie Miller is more snarky fun than substantive, in my opinion, although her show has gotten more issues oriented in the last year or so it seems. You should listen to it because she is funny and entertaining, but just think of it as a good natured audio Wonkette type show.

It's hard for me to think of stuff I like that's specifically radio and not the radio broadcast of, say, Rachel Maddow.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Today third-string radio fuckhead Roger Hedgecock said allowing gays to marry was like calling a dog's tail a leg and had a good laugh about it, and then said gays just want power and don't actually care about families or anything like that and they're only 3% of the population so why should anyone give a poo poo what they want.

Literally the first time I've ever changed the channel in disgust in 10ish years of listening to conservative talk radio.

This is what leathery human poo poo looks like.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
For some reason in my head that's what Mark Belling looks like.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine any NFL team that wasn't ok with gay players would quickly realize how many gay superstar players they have, or find themselves facing a mostly-gay team of incredibly built, finely manicured football playing machines.

In all seriousness, there really is just no incentive whatsoever for any professional sports organization to be anything but 100% super pro-gay.

knife super power
Nov 4, 2010

Warchicken posted:

I imagine any NFL team that wasn't ok with gay players would quickly realize how many gay superstar players they have, or find themselves facing a mostly-gay team of incredibly built, finely manicured football playing machines.

In all seriousness, there really is just no incentive whatsoever for any professional sports organization to be anything but 100% super pro-gay.

Before the Super Bowl, Chris Culliver made some anti-gay comments. He plays for the San Francisco 49-ers. He recieved some significant backlash for that.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

quote:

Sirius has a left-wing talk station (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_XM_Left) but I have no idea how good any of the shows are.

Tim Selaty Jr fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 29, 2013

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

redshirt posted:

-The Young Turks
-Stephanie Miller
-Randi Rhodes
-Thom Hartmann

And though I'm not sure if he still has a radio show, Ron Reagan. Dude is extremely entertaining.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Mr Interweb posted:

-Randi Rhodes
I don't really know the rest too well, but this person is just horrible to listen to.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ReindeerF posted:

I don't really know the rest too well, but this person is just horrible to listen to.

I remember hearing her on Air America back in the day. I'm kind of surprised she's still at it.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

ReindeerF posted:

I agree. Totally ruined Ozzy's sound.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I remember hearing her on Air America back in the day. I'm kind of surprised she's still at it.

She's actually syndicated by Premiere now, aka Clear Channel.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

I know she's not really enjoyed, even by liberals, but I like her. :smith:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

said gays just want power and don't actually care about families or anything like that

Projection much?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Power over what? Like, did I miss the part in the wedding ceremony where the rings you exchange are forged in the fires of Mt Doom and twisted by Mordor's evil?

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
They seem to think rights are some sort of zero-sum game where gays getting rights means they have to be taken away from straight people. As Orange Devil it seems to be projection- they're oppressed gays and other minorities so much they're terrified that the same thing will happen to them if said minorities git even the slightest bit of rights/power.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Crameltonian posted:

They seem to think rights are some sort of zero-sum game where gays getting rights means they have to be taken away from straight people. As Orange Devil it seems to be projection- they're oppressed gays and other minorities so much they're terrified that the same thing will happen to them if said minorities git even the slightest bit of rights/power.

There were quite a number of people, some in my own family, that truly believe (still do) that Obama's election would bring about white slavery as 'revenge'.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

I know she's not really enjoyed, even by liberals, but I like her. :smith:

I listen to her once in awhile. Sometimes it's cathartic to hear a visceral liberal reaction of something horrible the republicans have done. Mike Malloy is better at it though.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Power over what? Like, did I miss the part in the wedding ceremony where the rings you exchange are forged in the fires of Mt Doom and twisted by Mordor's evil?

Power over his tanning bed, by the looks of it.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

The Angry Bum posted:

There were quite a number of people, some in my own family, that truly believe (still do) that Obama's election would bring about white slavery as 'revenge'.

In the end, this is exactly what conservatism is. A reaction by ruling groups against the growing power of oppressed and minority groups.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Crameltonian posted:

Yeah this works, but what I was actually getting at was, look at all the conservative groups with Family Values this and Protect the Family that and whatever else horseshit. Anyone who actually is anyone in the conservative movement doesn't give a gently caress about families or "the family" or whatever, they just use that rhetoric to get power.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah I got that, it's just interesting that the projection manifests itself in a bunch of different ways. These people have a fundamentally hateful world-view and they seem assume that everyone thinks the same way they do. Like the terror over America eventually becoming a 'minority-majority' nation shows that they realise that despite all their rhetoric about racism being over minorities really are treated as second-class citizens and they're fine with that as long as it's not them being hosed over.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

The Angry Bum posted:

Sometimes they'll say it's ALREADY HERE (WELFARE QUEENS WELFARE QUEENS WELFARE QUEENS).

goatsecks
Jul 24, 2004
go make me a sammich... woman

redshirt posted:

Somewhat relatedly, Jim Rome (sports radio) went on an extended discussion of marriage equality in general, and homosexuality in sports in specific. A couple of callers came right in with the "It's a sin, they need to repent" bit and he went right after them. It was refreshing. It's always interesting to me when political/cultural topics break into sports radio. It's pretty rare and usually the hosts will turn away quickly, so it was fascinating to hear Rome take on the subject.

Only a podcast but Economic Update with Richard D. Wolff is really good.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

kik2dagroin posted:

Wow, Rush just went on a long tirade about people collecting disability benefits. Why aren't these people included in the unemployment statistics? Why can't they provide for themselves? His evidence was 25% of people in a single county in Bumfuck, AL were on disability. :wtc:

With regards to the 'low information voter' shtick, I honestly think it's a clever way for him to get away with calling his own listeners idiots without explicitly saying so. Right after the election he was using 'people who disagree with me' and 'independent voters/republicans who are now independents' interchangeably, but now he has settled on using it for anyone that disagrees with him. In fact he had someone call in last week that he called out as 'low information' whom was none the wiser that he was being insulted.

Yeah, that's really something else. Rush has been going on and on about low info voters and "where do they get their information????!!" Listening to him, all I wanted to was raise my hand and go "ooo! ooo! I know where." I think it's sort of the Karl Rove trick where you accuse others of doing what you do, etc, etc. so that Rush and FOX and them can co-opt the term "low information voter". It started out as a left wing term on left wing radio.

Radish posted:

For all their bluster about being big tough guy American cowboy stereotypes, they really are the biggest whiny pansies whenever they get made fun of or have their opinions dis-proven.

I find this true of all rednecks. I've lived in NE Florida for 20 years or so and these cowboy tough guys are the most sensitive, whiny babies about everything, especially when they think they're the subject of a joke. They can't laugh at themselves at all and are the most easily offended and butt hurt individuals I've ever seen.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

BiggerBoat posted:

I find this true of all rednecks. I've lived in NE Florida for 20 years or so and these cowboy tough guys are the most sensitive, whiny babies about everything, especially when they think they're the subject of a joke. They can't laugh at themselves at all and are the most easily offended and butt hurt individuals I've ever seen.

"Them's fightin' words" = "STOP MAKING FUN OF MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" :cry::cry::cry:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
In the Los Angeles area there's a liberal talk radio station. It used to be Air America, but now it's owned by clearchannel. KTLK AM 1150: http://www.ktlkam1150.com/main.html

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Speaking of left wing radio, is there anywhere I can go to download episodes of Miller, Rhodes, etc?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Jim Carrey is trolling conservatives from the year 1994:

Actor Jim Carrey posted:

Since I released my “Cold Dead Hand” video on Funny or Die this week, I have watched Fux News rant, rave, bare its fangs and viciously slander me because of my stand against large magazines and assault rifles. I would take them to task legally if I felt they were worth my time or that anyone with a brain in their head could actually fall for such irresponsible buffoonery. That would gain them far too much attention which is all they really care about.

I’ll just say this: in my opinion Fux (sic) News is a last resort for kinda-sorta-almost-journalists whose options have been severely limited by their extreme and intolerant views; a media colostomy bag that has begun to burst at the seams and should be emptied before it becomes a public health issue.

I sincerely believe that in time, good people will lose patience with the petty and poisonous behavior of these bullies and Fux (sic) News will be remembered as nothing more than a giant culture fart that no amount of Garlique could cure.

I wish them all the luck that accompanies such malevolence.

I haven't heard someone use "colostomy bag" in a put down since... the last time Jim Carrey used colostomy bag in a put down.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

He isn't really changing my mind on the belief that anyone who says stuff like FUX news or PMSNBC are douchebags.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
http://www.change.org/petitions/dep...-back-to-canada

Jim Carrey, an American citizen, should be deported because he is exercising his first ammendment rights and it just makes me so mad *punches wall*

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I Fought The Mom posted:

http://www.change.org/petitions/dep...-back-to-canada

Jim Carrey, an American citizen, should be deported because he is exercising his first ammendment rights and it just makes me so mad *punches wall*

Wasn't there a petition to deport Piers Morgan because of his argument with Alex Jones that the White House pretty much "Uh, first amendment protects him - thanks"?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ThirdPartyView posted:

Wasn't there a petition to deport Piers Morgan because of his argument with Alex Jones that the White House pretty much "Uh, first amendment protects him - thanks"?

Pretty much they wanted him kicked out for using his first amendment rights to speak out against their second amendment rights.

They did not see the irony in this at all.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ThirdPartyView posted:

The best thing about that whole Piers Morgan situation is that his ratings were atrocious and he was days from getting fired, and then he figured out how to milk right-wing morons.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Republicans posted:

He isn't really changing my mind on the belief that anyone who says stuff like FUX news or PMSNBC are douchebags.

The douchebag of my douchebag is MY douchebag.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I'm a little conflicted about the Carrie v. Fox News beef.

On the one hand, I loving HATED Bruce Almighty.

On the other hand, Fox News is quite disgusting.

Argh!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm a little conflicted about the Carrie v. Fox News beef.

On the one hand, I loving HATED Bruce Almighty.

On the other hand, Fox News is quite disgusting.

Argh!
I found Bruce Almighty funny, if not screamingly hilarious. Besides, how can you hate Morgan Freeman as God? He's God already, of course, but still.:colbert:

In seriousness, Jim Carrey gets my full support. gently caress :foxnews:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

fade5 posted:

I found Bruce Almighty funny, if not screamingly hilarious. Besides, how can you hate Morgan Freeman as God? He's God already, of course, but still.:colbert:

I went to go see the movie in the theaters when it came out (something I did extremely rarely at the time), and I really wanted to like it, but the movie was awful, and the story was absolute garbage. Morgan Freeman was the only saving grace, but alas even he wasn't enough to overlook the movie's transgressions.