Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's not buying the stuff that's the problem, it's just that I have to take that extra step to dig through my chest and get paintballs, potions, etc. It's like mega potions not being on sale, it's just forcing me keep generating honey and keep tabs on my farms.

Oh my god you guys I have to use my item box, this is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gwrtheyrn posted:

What the hell am I supposed to do to kill gobul? I just ran out of time on him, and I can't upgrade my hunting horn anymore until the next zone.

If you hit a wall on a monster with one type of weapon, try a different one. I've always hated the Gigginox from only trying him with melee weapons, and as soon as I took him on with a light bowgun I find him a lot easier that way.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Preparation is absolutely a skill, in the real world and monster hunter. So, yeah, it is being better at the game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Emalde posted:

I don't think you "get" Monster Hunter. This is the essence of the game. It's not hard to make your supplies, you should have been upgrading and using your farm this entire time.

My farm is nearly fully upgraded. It just irks me that the game gives you mini-supplies for the entire first third of it in case you forgot/didn't want to bother making everything for each run, and then in HR it goes "Yeah bring your own poo poo get used to it." Being prepared is important but this is just adding another step that wasn't there for a very large chunk of the game.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Oh well, at least in this you can get the farm to make stacks of what you actually need instead of being bottlenecked by 4-6 honey per quest, which you need for energy drinks, mega potions, max potions etc.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
By the time you hit G rank you'll get used to it and consider it a non issue. Being teleported right next to a monster is great instead of running all the way to the rear end end of the map.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god, I got a gem off of Jhen first try. :stare:

I've never gotten to the 'run down and hit the big bastard' portion of the fight before! I can see how you'd get super burned out if you were trying for basically any of his gear, since solo it's essentially a forced 30-minute war. And that's just for a repel. I assume the 'full' fight gives you the full 50?

E: Aw jeez that's a nice-looking Switch Axe...

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 31, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
MHFU trained me to bring all my poo poo with me anyway, which is what I did all the way through Tri and so far in 3U too. Don't rely on the box items, that's bonus help. Sure it's a kick in the pants until you start bringing all your stuff but it'll help you think ahead more. It should help "forgot drinks / potion / meat give me some" too.

no it won't, gently caress pubbies

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh my god, I got a gem off of Jhen first try. :stare:

I have never had a problem with EarthDragonGems. They seem to drop fairly regularly. Might be the fact you can carve jhen a lot more than other monsters.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Emalde posted:

I don't think you "get" Monster Hunter. This is the essence of the game. It's not hard to make your supplies, you should have been upgrading and using your farm this entire time.

I've been playing Monster Hunter for quite a while at this point, but I wasn't aware farm micromanagement was the essence that kept me playing.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Item management is obnoxious and all but it's not enough of an annoyance or issue for me to really give it a second thought. Sometimes I might think "oops I shoulda brought an extra trap" but that's about it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Brett824 posted:

I've been playing Monster Hunter for quite a while at this point, but I wasn't aware farm micromanagement was the essence that kept me playing.

Look at this man who hasn't experienced the magic of the 10-meat BBQ Spit

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

It just irks me that the game gives you mini-supplies for the entire first third of it in case you forgot/didn't want to bother making everything for each run, and then in HR it goes "Yeah bring your own poo poo get used to it."
I've literally never played a Monster Hunter game before and even I could see the game telling me "this is baby mode right now, get used to making your own poo poo ahead of time". I was more worried I was being hilariously anal and stockpiling too many Mega Potions and Well-Done Steak.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
I have been farming for days now trying to get the Rustshard weapons but all I have are lance, L Bowgun, hammer and s+s. I've gotten that drat hammer over a dozen times now but no heavy bowgun.

Oh well, i've got 300k zenny and 300+ stacks of the high rank volcano ores.

Really want that heavy bowgun though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Brett824 posted:

Don't tell me you didn't get misty eyed every time you sent Trenya off on an epic quest into unknown lands. His boldness truly embodied the Monster Hunter Ideal.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Crosscontaminant posted:

I've literally never played a Monster Hunter game before and even I could see the game telling me "this is baby mode right now, get used to making your own poo poo ahead of time". I was more worried I was being hilariously anal and stockpiling too many Mega Potions and Well-Done Steak.

I'm pretty sure that Ultimate at some point outright tells you that high rank doesn't give you any supply items, and just dumps your rear end wherever.

Also, I still miss Tigrex, but seeing Barioth chase pubbies is close enough to be satisfying.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I'm pretty sure that Ultimate at some point outright tells you that high rank doesn't give you any supply items, and just dumps your rear end wherever.

Also, I still miss Tigrex, but seeing Barioth chase pubbies is close enough to be satisfying.

High Rank does give supply items. Just... not from the start. Keep in a quest long enough and you'll eventually get a message telling you that supplies have arrived. Bring a Farcaster if the few things it gives are that important. HR is toughening you up for the actual game - G-Rank. Get used to the brutality now, it's not going to get any easier.

I miss Tigrex too. Specifically his "I'm too loving pissed off to even god drat run properly" charges.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

It does this as soon as you get to high-rank stuff. The guild girl tells you that supplies are delayed and you start in a random location (sometimes a secret location!!)

Anyways, as far as rustshards go, I've actually gotten a ton of them. I don't actually care about all the charm table stuff but I guess this means I'm not on one of the bad ones. Either way, when identifying what weapons they really are, all I've gotten so far is dinky little lowbie weapons. Are these safe to sell, or do they have "secret" upgrades into better stuff? I ask because of games like Dark Souls where that lovely broken shortsword you can find all over the place at the start of the game can eventually be upgraded into one of the better weapons. There's nothing to indicate these weapons are anything but copies of some of the starter weapons, but I know stuff in this game gets kind of wacky, too.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

Colapops posted:

Either way, when identifying what weapons they really are, all I've gotten so far is dinky little lowbie weapons. Are these safe to sell, or do they have "secret" upgrades into better stuff?
If I understand it right, a Rustshard can give you either the dinky lowbie weapon, or a fantastically lovely rusted weapon that has like no sharpness and -70% affinity. That super-lovely one is the one you can upgrade into something good.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Colapops posted:

Are these safe to sell, or do they have "secret" upgrades into better stuff? I ask because of games like Dark Souls where that lovely broken shortsword you can find all over the place at the start of the game can eventually be upgraded into one of the better weapons. There's nothing to indicate these weapons are anything but copies of some of the starter weapons, but I know stuff in this game gets kind of wacky, too.

Don't worry, the game's not trying to trick you.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Well, there's a difference between straight-up tricking you and hiding stuff behind some convoluted JRPG whackiness but that pretty much answers my question. I'm getting a ton of them though, as I said, so it shouldn't be too much longer before I get one of the "good" rust weapons.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You can see weapon upgrade paths here! It's actually pretty useful. And you get to see the ridiculous names some of them have. I just opened the Lobstrosity for crafting. I think I'm obligated to try it out purely because of the name.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Don't try to collect everything. Down that road madness lays.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Well while we're on the subject of weapon upgrade trees, here's a question: despite having all of the parts to make some of the weapons (according to both MH3 charts and ones specifically for Ultimate) I can't actually make these weapons or upgrade other weapons into them. For example, I have all of the parts to make the Azi Dahaka (gobul para SnS) and the Commander's Dagger (you start with it!) yet I can't upgrade the Commander's Dagger into the Azi Dahaka, nor can I straight up craft the Azi Dahaka like you can with some weapons. I realized there's a step between them (Hypnos Knife and its upgrade I think?) but those aren't available either. The upgrades just... aren't there.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Colapops posted:

Well while we're on the subject of weapon upgrade trees, here's a question: despite having all of the parts to make some of the weapons (according to both MH3 charts and ones specifically for Ultimate) I can't actually make these weapons or upgrade other weapons into them. For example, I have all of the parts to make the Azi Dahaka (gobul para SnS) and the Commander's Dagger (you start with it!) yet I can't upgrade the Commander's Dagger into the Azi Dahaka, nor can I straight up craft the Azi Dahaka like you can with some weapons. I realized there's a step between them (Hypnos Knife and its upgrade I think?) but those aren't available either. The upgrades just... aren't there.

Do you have enough money?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

RME posted:

Do you have enough money?

I've got the money, the items, everything. For another example, I've got all the right kelbi and duramboros parts for the kelbi bow, yet it simply isn't there to craft anywhere. It's a base bow as well, not an upgrade from another, and I still can't see it.

Do I have to be in high-rank single-player content in order to craft some of this stuff? I have other high rank armor and weapons, so I wouldn't think this is the case.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think anyone knows what governs weapon unlocks. Sometimes you can have every ingredient and it just doesn't show.

Holy god drat, these Dios Dual Blades I made? They ruin things. That double Duramboros quest I've been agonizing over? Yeah I just did that in 26 minutes. I've got both Cha-Cha and Kayamba rocking Slime Attack, Bombadier, and Hunter. Does Bombadier work towards their slime explosions like it does mine? If not I'll slap something else on. And with both using Waka-Waka and Ooga-Boo dances for the large recovery on them, they've finally come into their own helping me out.

We're sliming and exploding everything and it's the most fun!

If you're into High Rank and are having trouble, just wait until Brachydios opens. Make yourself a Slime weapon and you'll wreck everything in your path.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah slime is pretty nuts. After a couple of Brachy kills with lucky drops I was able to make the switchaxe and immediately upgrade it to the + version. Coupled with blue Rathalos armor gemmed for HG earplugs and rank 3 crit everything has been a joke; about ten minutes to manhandle Deviljho, Ivory Lagiacrus, and any other HR palette swap. They're just perpetually falling on their asses or roaring with no effect while their entire body explodes.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

ChibiSoma posted:

You can see weapon upgrade paths here! It's actually pretty useful. And you get to see the ridiculous names some of them have. I just opened the Lobstrosity for crafting. I think I'm obligated to try it out purely because of the name.

I MUST make the Fistolution now that I've read that name.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
What's the general consensus on Monster Hunter Beginner's Guide? I heard good things on the Bombcast, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

quaunaut posted:

What's the general consensus on Monster Hunter Beginner's Guide? I heard good things on the Bombcast, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

9 bucks for 50 pages seems steep. Especially when the BradyGames guide is over 500 pages and is 15 bucks.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

quaunaut posted:

Between wiki's, IRC and here I think it's a waste of money. Most people are pretty helpful in answering questions.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Man, you can only carry three rustshards but you can carry a hell of a lot of mystery charms. You're killin' me here, MonHun!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shlapintogan posted:

Man, you can only carry three rustshards but you can carry a hell of a lot of mystery charms. You're killin' me here, MonHun!

Just think of all the awesome talismans they won't could be!

Bowrrl
Mar 12, 2011
I keep so few of the charms and rustshard items it skipped my mind that I need to highlight the items then actually click "send to box".

Just sold a Rusted Hammer :suicide:.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Emalde posted:

Look at this man who hasn't experienced the magic of the 10-meat BBQ Spit

I miss my P3rd farm.........sending my cats away in the crazy cart, watching them fly into the lake.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
This makes me disappointed if the game simply breaks down into Slime Everything at High Rank and beyond. I kind of enjoyed having different weapons and armor sets prepared for various monsters in Low Rank and to think that'll be moved out of the way soon for Slime is a letdown, especially for this type of game.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Elemental weapons are still best if you match weaknesses, but be prepared to see lots of slime because people won't have a weapon of every element right off the bat. And four people all using slime is admittedly pretty loving strong.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

quaunaut posted:

It's pretty much what it says on the tin: a beginner's guide. It tries to be the plain english tutorial that the game does not really have, and in that regard I think it's pretty successful. It's a cute, well put-together package. If you're going to be hanging out in a thread for the game like this though you can probably get a lot of your questions answered.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Doing offline Jade Barioth and I get nailed by his charge. All of a sudden something lands near me, I see it's his scalp and pan the camera to see Cha-Cha's followup attack dizzy him for me. Good...good work, little buddy :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just think of all the awesome talismans they won't could be!

Yeah I don't really care about the talismans, I just want the rustshards so I can maybe get something nice out of it.

And speak of the devil, just got a rusted hammer, now to make it not terrible. :v:

• Locked thread