Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

angryrobots posted:

Keep it or sell, what do you think?

Keep it. Track it. Just drive it like you stole it a couple times a month. Because as soon as you get rid of it you will feel a ton of regret....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Where do you live and how much do you want for it?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How do guys feel about the :supaburn: "OMG Rear-wheel drive in the snow!" non-sense?

Also, I'm 6'2 could I fit in a 1-Series? :ohdear:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
This is a thread full of enthusiasts, it's not something that comes up.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tab8715 posted:

How do guys feel about the :supaburn: "OMG Rear-wheel drive in the snow!" non-sense?

It really depends on your inseam. I'm 6'1" with a 30" inseam (yea yea I know) and I had just a few inches of headroom with the seat relatively low. If you have a longer inseam you should be fine.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

I'm 6'1" and fit fine in my 1 series with sunroof and manual seats (34" inseam). Manual seats sit a little lower than power seats, and you lose about an inch of headroom if you have a sunroof.

edit:

Are the e92 M3 style 220 wheels worth anything? I got a set in a trade and need to get rid of them.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

I was out and about in the couple freezing fog instances this past winter on summer tires -- no hassle. I'd certainly opt for and LSD-equipped vehicle, or if not available, hunt one down for the "ultimate" ultimate snow driving machine. In truth, it doesn't matter.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
You're not getting an LSD unless it's an M. Just get good snow tires.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Crustashio posted:

You're not getting an LSD unless it's an M. Just get good snow tires.

New (or post 1995) yes that is correct; however as vintage of the car wasn't mentioned, it's worth sharing that info about the availability of such an option existing :science:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

thealphabetsez posted:

New (or post 1995) yes that is correct; however as vintage of the car wasn't mentioned, it's worth sharing that info about the availability of such an option existing :science:

He mentioned 1-series. I doubt he's cross shopping with winter package e36s.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

User Error posted:

I was in my garage setting the toe on my recently acquired e36 M3, getting ready for Evo School tomorrow. It appears that 3 of my M-Contours are 7.5" and one of the rears is 8.5", which is stock on the rear for '96-'99 M3s. I was planning on buying a set of Koesi 17x8.5 K1s anyways, but what the gently caress. Tomorrow could be interesting.

Check the spare? Might be that you have an 8.5 sitting in the trunk.

Kosei's are rad, though...

Oh what the hell, I lurk here all the time and never post; here's my '08 135i:

Was at Buttonwillow recently:

I love this car.

tarzanspuma fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 31, 2013

doogle
May 24, 2003

Heres an old one of my 135, I now have the m3 front and rear control arms, m3 sway bars, m3 rear subframe bushings and KW coilovers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

doogle posted:

Heres an old one of my 135, I now have the m3 front and rear control arms, m3 sway bars, m3 rear subframe bushings and KW coilovers.

Nice! What's up, Montego Blue Buddy! :haw:

I've also done the subframe bushings and went with Vorshlag plates to get some negative camber.

What wheels are those? And how do you like the KW's? Better or worse ride quality than stock? I recently rode in a 128i with Ohlins and it was amazing.

doogle
May 24, 2003

tarzanspuma posted:

Nice! What's up, Montego Blue Buddy! :haw:

I've also done the subframe bushings and went with Vorshlag plates to get some negative camber.

What wheels are those? And how do you like the KW's? Better or worse ride quality than stock? I recently rode in a 128i with Ohlins and it was amazing.

It's actually lemans blue but they are pretty much the same color. The m3 control arms give me around -1.5 degrees of camber (with the alignment nipple removed), which is enough for me. The KWs ride rougher on the road but feel way more planted and less floaty than the bmw performance suspension (what I had before these).

The wheels are Alufelgen CS7s in 18.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I pulled the M out of storage today and gave it a scrub.

The immediate list of things to do includes the clutch and associated bits, ICV, and track down a power steering leak.

I'm also looking for a good car cover. Suggestions?

E: add content

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 31, 2013

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

doogle posted:

Did you install the subframe bushings yourself, or did you take it to a shop?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
Can anyone recommend a good HID kit for the E36 Euro Bosch lights?

doogle
May 24, 2003

Billy Zane posted:

Did you install the subframe bushings yourself, or did you take it to a shop?

I did it myself, it isn't that hard if you use this. It kind of sucks because the deposit is so high, but it makes the job so much easier. Took me probably 3 hours instead of my entire life.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

ThirstyBuck posted:

I pulled the M out of storage today and gave it a scrub.

The immediate list of things to do includes the clutch and associated bits, ICV, and track down a power steering leak.

I'm also looking for a good car cover. Suggestions?

E: add content

God I miss my Alpinweiss E36. They just look so good in that color. :(

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

How does this look? He says it has a good motor and transmission, and while the body has some rust, it isn't a "rust or bondo bucket."

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/3713805393.html

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

BMW folks, I need some help. I have a 2009 335xi, and I'm having a disagreement with the dealership. I hear this noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWwA__dTsC8, which seems to correspond to wheel speed while coasting or lightly braking. I don't think it depends on loading of the wheels. I've taken it into the local dealership twice now, and they've given me the typical "can't reproduce" and done nothing. I don't trust them much, however, since I took it in for a heated steering wheel problem, and they wouldn't believe me there was a TSB for it until I emailed them several links and a PDF showing there was a fix... But I could rant all day about how lousy they are. In any event, I'd like to get it fixed sooner than later, since I'm about out of the 50k mile factory warranty. I'd rather the front end of the car not grenade at mile 50,001.

I haven't had a chance to crawl much under the car, so I can't tell you exactly what could be ruled out, but according to this dealership, they've checked suspension bits and I would guess had the wheels off and back on. If I had to limit the intermittency any more, I'd say it's more likely when the car is warm.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Keep it. Track it. Just drive it like you stole it a couple times a month. Because as soon as you get rid of it you will feel a ton of regret....
Yeah. Yeah I know. But I've got a baby on the way so my spare room is about to not be a spare room anymore. I have to add extra garage and storage space, and I'd rather make it the way I want instead of something less. If selling the E30 gets me there, well so be it. At least I have the 1-series to ease my pain.

Beach Bum posted:

Where do you live and how much do you want for it?
I'm in SC and I think my nostalgia runs out at $4500.

shoncook posted:

BMW folks, I need some help. I have a 2009 335xi, and I'm having a disagreement with the dealership. I hear this noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWwA__dTsC8, which seems to correspond to wheel speed while coasting or lightly braking.
Can you feel it through the brake pedal under light braking?

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 31, 2013

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

IuniusBrutus posted:

How does this look? He says it has a good motor and transmission, and while the body has some rust, it isn't a "rust or bondo bucket."

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/3713805393.html

Good, as long as you accept that you're buying a $650 E30 that you're going to pour at least another 2k into and effort.

Houndstooth sport interior is probably worth half of that, though.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

shoncook posted:

BMW folks, I need some help. I have a 2009 335xi, and I'm having a disagreement with the dealership.

Are you a member of the CCA? They have ombudsmen to help with this kind of thing. Give your local chapter a call.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

I'd be very interested in buying this, depending on mileage and condition. How can I get in touch with you?

Edit: I noticed you have PMs off, but you can e-mail me at blkawful at gmail

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Went out for a nice springtime drive yesterday.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

angryrobots posted:

I'm in SC and I think my nostalgia runs out at $4500.

Mods and mileage? Recent maintenance? Please PM me your email address :ohdear:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
So I bought a new BMW because who doesn't need three?
Sorry for the Droid pics.

Bonus shot of the other two

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That white wagon with the zhp bumper looks familiar from Bimmerfest I think. It looks well taken care of.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Moxie Omen posted:

Good, as long as you accept that you're buying a $650 E30 that you're going to pour at least another 2k into and effort.

Houndstooth sport interior is probably worth half of that, though.

Awesome. I may go take a look at it, then.

Thanks!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

SuperDucky posted:

So I bought a new BMW because who doesn't need three?
Sorry for the Droid pics.

Bonus shot of the other two

Jesus christ that is amazing. If that is a 5spd I hate you forever. Been looking for months and I haven't even seen a RWD e46 pop up. It's all Xis.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Crustashio posted:

Jesus christ that is amazing. If that is a 5spd I hate you forever. Been looking for months and I haven't even seen a RWD e46 pop up. It's all Xis.

Here it is next to my e30 to show just how low it is. Gotta take that stupid stanceworks sticker off, though.

Hellaflush yo :rice:

Crustashio: :getin:

Keyser S0ze posted:

That white wagon with the zhp bumper looks familiar from Bimmerfest I think. It looks well taken care of.
Thanks!

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Last week, the rear right coil spring snapped in two places on my 330xi, so I'm researching replacements and general suspension parts. I'm fairly certain that the sport package for my car did not include a sport suspension, and even if it did everything is well worn by now. I'm considering an aftermarket suspension refresh, but I have zero experience with the options available.

I'm interested in a good balance between sport handling and ride quality, with a preference for ride quality and component durability since this is my daily driver. Any recommendations?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

concise posted:

Last week, the rear right coil spring snapped in two places on my 330xi, so I'm researching replacements and general suspension parts. I'm fairly certain that the sport package for my car did not include a sport suspension, and even if it did everything is well worn by now. I'm considering an aftermarket suspension refresh, but I have zero experience with the options available.

I'm interested in a good balance between sport handling and ride quality, with a preference for ride quality and component durability since this is my daily driver. Any recommendations?

e46? If so you're incredibly limited. I think all you've got is H&R sport springs or coilovers. Maybe some other aftermarket coilovers. For shocks, bilsteins.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I finally got rid of the stiff as a board Bilstein Sports I have been running 4+ years on my 2002 E46 330i and hated (I'm cheap and lazy) back in December and replaced them with the Koni Sport yellow adjustable shocks and it was like having a new car. They are stiff but still slightly forgiving at just a quarter turn in the front, so now if I hit a bottlecap I don't catch air and give myself a concussion. They compliment the H&R sport springs much better than the Bilsteins, leave the car very drivable on the street and still can be cranked up for the track. I have the rears set at around 60% stiffness since you can't adjust them without removing. They are a poor man's coilover.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 31, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Keyser S0ze posted:

I finally got rid of the stiff as a board Bilstein Sports I have been running 4+ years on my 2002 E46 330i and hated (I'm cheap and lazy) back in December and replaced them with the Koni Sport yellow adjustable shocks and it was like having a new car. They are stiff but still slightly forgiving at just a quarter turn in the front, so now if I hit a bottlecap I don't catch air and give myself a concussion. They compliment the H&R sport springs much better than the Bilsteins, leave the car very drivable on the street and still can be cranked up for the track. I have the rears set at around 60% stiffness since you can't adjust them without removing. They are a poor man's coilover.

Ground Control makes a screw adjust rear but they want entirely too much money for them.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, and TCKline has some adjustable rears as well which I should have spent the extra money on - since I already have access panels cut out in my trunk liner.

I may still spring for them anyway but not for a while. I'll wait for the stock rear shock mounts they put on there at the same time to wear out first.

http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs/Items/Details30.cfm

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Crustashio posted:

e46? If so you're incredibly limited. I think all you've got is H&R sport springs or coilovers. Maybe some other aftermarket coilovers. For shocks, bilsteins.

Yeah, E46 and I was afraid I wouldn't find much. Though there is an Eibach spring kit available at Tire Rack and a spring + Koni FSD shock/strut kit at ModBargains.com. Anything good/bad to say about Eibachs and Koni FSDs? Does having AWD pretty much preclude me from everything besides stock?

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

angryrobots posted:

Can you feel it through the brake pedal under light braking?

As far as I can tell, no. I can't seem to feel it in either the brakes or the steering.

SuperDucky posted:

Are you a member of the CCA? They have ombudsmen to help with this kind of thing. Give your local chapter a call.

I am not, but thanks for pointing me in that direction. I'll look into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

concise posted:

Yeah, E46 and I was afraid I wouldn't find much. Though there is an Eibach spring kit available at Tire Rack and a spring + Koni FSD shock/strut kit at ModBargains.com. Anything good/bad to say about Eibachs and Koni FSDs? Does having AWD pretty much preclude me from everything besides stock?

I didn't realize there was a koni kit. Those will be much better for a "stock" ride, bilsteins are loving HARSH. I would honestly never recommend them for anything on the street. H&R or Eibachs will probably be fine - you'll basically get to stock 330i sport package ride height. OEM springs aren't really an option unless you feel like paying 4x the price of any other springs.