Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

I'm still a bit interested in this translation thing. How would Atlus (or however translated it) know that their translation was ripped off? Would it be small things like the translation saying "You're smelly!" instead of a literal translation that says "You smell bad!"

Translation is a pretty subjective thing. There's plenty of small differences possible in how you can translate something, and plenty of small differences in how you can phrase the same idea.

If the translation was word for word, there's no argument that could possibly be made that they didn't use the same translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Strange Quark posted:

I checked with my Ohio address, and orders over $49 do indeed have free shipping. The "Free Delivery" ad is just on the Electronics page and is different from the Free Shipping advertised at the top.

It still kills the deal for me because the games I want are under $25 and would require buying 3 or getting 2 and a filler item. I guess buying in bulk works, but there was no indication of how to get free shipping.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I just completed all HarmoKnight levels on Normal speed with a Great, which really wasn't that hard at all. I really enjoyed the game, with the notable exception of one particular level which may be the worst thing I've ever seen in a rhythm game. I'm looking forward to improving my scores and tackling Fast mode (even though the idea of the final world on Fast scares me).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Thanks for this minireview. I'm going to pick it up. Me and my many children love Adventure time so I think was wondering how good it was. Hows the 3d because we have 2 3ds and a ds so if there's nothing there it would be easiest to get the ds version.
All the stages have a bunch of layers of parallax that look nice in 3D, but its nothing major. I do remember hearing the DS version is missing a few tracks of music if that matters at all.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Thanks for this minireview. I'm going to pick it up. Me and my many children love Adventure time so I think was wondering how good it was. Hows the 3d because we have 2 3ds and a ds so if there's nothing there it would be easiest to get the ds version.

The 3D is pretty mediocre, but the 3DS version has more content and is generally higher quality than the DS version so I'd still recommend it anyway.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I'm now hearing that the game freeze you experience in Ghostlight's Devil Survivor: Overclocked subsides if you wait for a few minutes. Good news, right guys? :downs:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You just have to let it thaw out a bit.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I just completed all HarmoKnight levels on Normal speed with a Great, which really wasn't that hard at all. I really enjoyed the game, with the notable exception of one particular level which may be the worst thing I've ever seen in a rhythm game. I'm looking forward to improving my scores and tackling Fast mode (even though the idea of the final world on Fast scares me).

May I ask what the terrible level is? I have almost completed the game (Silver on a 1/4 of levels) and am on the sky roost trial and I would say that the level that is most bullshitty so far is the clockwork trial, although I haven't played the final level so much yet.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Rexroom posted:

I'm now hearing that the game freeze you experience in Ghostlight's Devil Survivor: Overclocked subsides if you wait for a few minutes. Good news, right guys? :downs:

Do they ship the demons directly from Tokio?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

MrFlibble posted:

May I ask what the terrible level is? I have almost completed the game (Silver on a 1/4 of levels) and am on the sky roost trial and I would say that the level that is most bullshitty so far is the clockwork trial, although I haven't played the final level so much yet.

It's the Clocktower Trial, yeah. The main issue here is that, unlike the first two Clocktower levels, the tempo changes are immediate and without warning, put in in such a manner that you almost surely will run into enemies or jump into pits thanks to the changes until you memorize when they happen and how the tempo changes. In the first two Clocktower levels, there's time to adjust, but Clocktower Trial is just awful design in a game about feeling the rhythm and accurately hitting buttons to it.

In contrast to that level's design, the final level is hard in a much more fair way, with only a couple bullshit moments. Even those you can at least hope to react to, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

limaCAT posted:

Do they ship the demons directly from Tokio?

I don't know about that, but they sure come in badly named. According to someone on their Facebook page, "all the demon name's with spaces all show up as the first part then an underscore followed by the second part", which is another neat bug on top of all the others. There also claims that even the Nintendo Club code isn't working. It just keeps getting better and better. I'm dearly awaiting another Gamasutra interview claiming they are very small and thus should not be blamed for this mess.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Luigi's Mansion isn't really my thing, but I want in on that free game promo. How's Mystery Dungeon? I enjoy roguelikes, but is Mystery Dungeon 'dumbed down'? I don't really know how else to describe it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It's definitely not a very hard one like the old school rogue likes.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Luigi's Mansion isn't really my thing, but I want in on that free game promo. How's Mystery Dungeon? I enjoy roguelikes, but is Mystery Dungeon 'dumbed down'? I don't really know how else to describe it.

I haven't played this new one, but if the older PMD titles are anything to go by, they're much easier and don't necessarily allow as many interesting situations as other roguelikes.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

Is there a reason why they had to translate it to UK English instead of just using the American translation? I imagine you just have to add a few Us here and there and can call it a day.

They wouldn't even have to do this, I've not met a person who actually cares whether they use our version of the words or the Americanised spellings.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BKPR posted:

I haven't played this new one, but if the older PMD titles are anything to go by, they're much easier and don't necessarily allow as many interesting situations as other roguelikes.

This one is even moreso.

I thought the previous ones were fun in a light sort of way but PMD3 is boring as gently caress.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
They have ~acknowledged the problem~ http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/important-message-about-devil-survivor-overclocked-on-3ds

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

At least this means they should be able to push patches via Spotpass.

e: Unless it's a measure to avoid refunding customers...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

This one is even moreso.

I thought the previous ones were fun in a light sort of way but PMD3 is boring as gently caress.

It doesn't help that all the interesting dungeon stuff and super hard challenges are introduced after the credits.

I found PMD3 much easier than 2, but the story was interesting enough to make keep going. I gave up on 1 a few hours in out of boredom. V:shobon:V

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm surprised at how many retail games are in the 3DS eShop now. It seems like most major releases are there now, with the exception of SFIV, Devil Survivor, and a couple of others.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm surprised at how many retail games are in the 3DS eShop now. It seems like most major releases are there now, with the exception of SFIV, Devil Survivor, and a couple of others.

Zero Escape isn't there, like other than Fire Emblem the one major 3ds game I want to play.

There isn't any other RPGs for the 3DS is there?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Devil Survivor, Etrian Odyssey.

That's all I can think of, western release wise anyway.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Zero Escape isn't there, like other than Fire Emblem the one major 3ds game I want to play.

VLR is definitely on the eShop. It might not be if you live in a more obscure region though. Try changing your shop region to a bigger country.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

jtm33 posted:

VLR is definitely on the eShop. It might not be if you live in a more obscure region though. Try changing your shop region to a bigger country.

You're talking about in Europe, right? The NA shop tells me it's retail only.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Don't forget Tales of the Abyss!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

jtm33 posted:

Not in the US, so unless it got a European eShop release, it's not on there.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
Oh yeah I was talking about Europe. Sorry I just assumed that if it got an eShop release here it would definitely be available in America. The stores change depending on what region you select too so that could have been a probably reason is what I was thinking.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I want to pick up the new Fire Emblem after enjoying the hell out of the demo. I'm not sure if I wanna pick up the cartridge or pick it up from the eshop. Is there any distinct advantage to either? Any loading time improvements or anything of that nature?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Just based on filtering my search results this is what I see available on NA eShop:
code:
Adventure Time               Art Academy                    BIT.TRIP SAGA                
Brain Age                    Castlevania: LOS               Code of Princess
Etrian Odyssey IV            Epic Mickey                    Fire Emblem
Ghost Recon SW               Harvest Moon 3D                Hotel Transylvania
LEGO LOTR                    Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon     Mario Kart 7                 
Mario Tennis Open            Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate      New Super Mario Bros 2
Paper Mario Sticker Star     Pilotwings Resort              Pokemon Mystery Dungeon  
Pokemon Rumble Blast         Professor Layton Miracle Mask  PES2013
Rabbids Travel in Time 3D    Rayman Origins/3D              RE: Revelations/Mercenaries
Scribblenauts Unlimited      Sonic & All-Stars Racing       Splinter Cell 3D
Starfox 64 3D                Style Savvy                    Super Mario 3D Land
Unchained Blades             Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

jtm33 posted:

I live in the USA and the sequel to 999 isn't on the eshop last I checked.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
There are a few rather good-looking RPGs coming up as well for the 3DS, if nothing so far is your bag. SMT IV, Soul Hackers, the new Rune Factory, Pokemon X/Y are a few I can recall off the top of my head.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SC Bracer posted:

There are a few rather good-looking RPGs coming up as well for the 3DS, if nothing so far is your bag. SMT IV, Soul Hackers, the new Rune Factory, Pokemon X/Y are a few I can recall off the top of my head.

I don't know why you edited that bit yeah, the 3DS library is fantastic and is just getting better and better. For a while I was worried iOS games would pull me away but there's just so much on the 3DS you can't get anywhere else. Not to mention the 3D is uniquely awesome and the controls and feel of the console are really nice. Mainly with the XL.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

eggrolled posted:

I want to pick up the new Fire Emblem after enjoying the hell out of the demo. I'm not sure if I wanna pick up the cartridge or pick it up from the eshop. Is there any distinct advantage to either? Any loading time improvements or anything of that nature?

Nope, and the loading time for FE games is like...half a second? Maybe?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
My loud sound problem was mysteriously fixed by opening up my 3DS and disconnecting and reconnecting the volume slider several times over the past few days. Though this last time I did accidentally tear one of the connectors to what I assume is the IR sensor since everything else works.

So for those with a similar problem, keep at it I guess?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I'm a little late to this discussion, but here's my two cents.

The bugs in the EU version of Overclocked are absolutely unforgivable. I'm not defending them in any way. That said, everyone who has jumped onto the "I don't understand how this could happen, they didn't even have to touch that part of the code to translate the game" bandwagon has probably never actually programmed something before. Unless you write perfect, unfallable code, changing anything can cause failures in completely unexpected ways, like pulling the wrong piece from a Jenga tower. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that they changed a "color" to a "colour" somewhere and caused a chain reaction that resulted in bugs totally unrelated to what was actually changed.

They're still totally inept for not finding and fixing the bugs before release, though, especially given that it took them two years to do a localization job for a game where the same language is being used.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'm sorry, but no. As someone who's been coding tools for fan-translations, which means I don't even have access to the original source code, this is just pathetic, and I don't understand how they could possibly unintentionally manage to replace all instances of the first name variable with the last name variable and vice versa.

Or manage to write the first name into the last name slot and vice versa -- except it's still written the correct way on the save screen so gently caress if I know.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm sorry, but no. As someone who's been coding tools for fan-translations, which means I don't even have access to the original source code, this is just pathetic, and I don't understand how they could possibly unintentionally manage to replace all instances of the first name variable with the last name variable and vice versa.

Or manage to write the first name into the last name slot and vice versa -- except it's still written the correct way on the save screen so gently caress if I know.

It could still be flipping the first and last names since it would be rendered correctly as Last First in Japanese.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Funkmaster General posted:

It's perfectly reasonable to assume that they changed a "color" to a "colour" somewhere and caused a chain reaction that resulted in bugs totally unrelated to what was actually changed.

As someone who's honestly wondering how the gently caress they could mess this poo poo up so bad, I would really like an explanation as to how the addition of a single letter in prompted text could have these repercussions. And I'm not saying that just to be a dick; I really would like to know.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Badly Jester posted:

As someone who's honestly wondering how the gently caress they could mess this poo poo up so bad, I would really like an explanation as to how the addition of a single letter in prompted text could have these repercussions. And I'm not saying that just to be a dick; I really would like to know.

Colour could be used in some programming function like creating particles or changing the colour of the summon command text when it gets used. The program compiler has no idea what the function "textColour=FFFFFF" is but it knows "textColor=FFFFFF".

Think of it like having a Bulbasaur named Bulbasaur like you'd encounter in Pokemon. In the American version of your Pokebox they change all the instances of Bulbasaur to Blbasar. So when you as the Pokebox for a Bulbasaur it has no idea what you're talking about.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

If the program compiler has no idea what textColour means it'll throw a compiler error. And I have no idea what your second example was.

It's possible that there is some configuration text file that has a textColor/Colour that gets parsed by the game in execution time. Let's assume that the same configuration file contains all or some of the text that is displayed on screen and they did a search-replace; yes, that would cause a crash or otherwise improper behavoir at execution time. However, that would imply they did a search-replace on a file that contains variables without double-checking each replacement or at least running a diff on the file afterwards, which... well, it's possible, but you'd think they'd know better.

Do we actually know if they replaced American English words with the British spellings? Cause a lot of localizations don't bother with that when they release a game in the UK.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

eggrolled posted:

Don't know if it matters for you, but the physical copy of Fire Emblem gets you coins in Club Nintendo.

• Locked thread