Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Yes, that's what we mean. And if it's only going up to 38x, well, something is amiss because that's only the top turbo multiplier. You should be able to turn it much higher.

It might require me to raise other settings before the cap will go up maybe? I don't know. O.N.E. has a whole shitload of settings.

Here's a video I found of the O.N.E. section: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tmX0_dxzeo

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Is there some kind of ratio unlock or CPU Host Clock Control setting in the BIOS? Did you maybe get a 3570 non-K version?

BIOS overclocking is always preferable vs. overclocking in Windows for stability-purposes, which is the main reason I'd suggest avoiding Biostar's app if possible.

Biostar is near-bottom-tier of motherboards and not really recommended. If it was ASUS/Asrock/MSI/Gigabyte you'd have more luck with finding support on the board, but as it stands you picked a minority board so you're going to be lacking in google/support information.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Check 2:00 on that video.

Alternatively, adjust the turbo limits so that 1, 2, 3, and 4 core are all the same and all 40. You will need to adjust the power limits, since it looks like the board doesn't do that for you.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 30, 2013

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

grumperfish posted:

Is there some kind of ratio unlock or CPU Host Clock Control setting in the BIOS? Did you maybe get a 3570 non-K version?

BIOS overclocking is always preferable vs. overclocking in Windows for stability-purposes, which is the main reason I'd suggest avoiding Biostar's app if possible.

Biostar is near-bottom-tier of motherboards and not really recommended. If it was ASUS/Asrock/MSI/Gigabyte you'd have more luck with finding support on the board, but as it stands you picked a minority board so you're going to be lacking in google/support information.

No, this is definitely the 3570K, I just checked my invoice.

Factory Factory posted:

Check 2:00 on that video.

Alternatively, adjust the turbo limits so that 1, 2, 3, and 4 core are all the same and all 40. You will need to adjust the power limits, since it looks like the board doesn't do that for you.

Er, I specifically linked to 2:00. I'm not sure what you're wanting me to look at. Also, I don't really know what to adjust the power limits to.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Oh, the forums ate the time link. But you can't even type in a number there?

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Oh, the forums ate the time link. But you can't even type in a number there?

Oh! I guess I could try that. But first I want to know about the power limit thing that was mentioned.

grumperfish posted:

Well, it was cheap and had good reviews on Newegg and the overclocking websites, so I went for it. That was back in 2011.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Benjamin Black posted:

Oh! I guess I could try that. But first I want to know about the power limit thing that was mentioned.

Most boards have user-selectable per-core power limits that automatically throttle the CPU speed if they reach a specific power threshold. You can generally set these figures to an arbitrarily-high number to override any throttling when you're overclocking beyond the standard CPU speeds. My board has a per-chip amp/watt throttle setting so I bumped it up to 300A/300W to allow higher limits to overclocking, but I'm not sure what the equivalent setting is with Biostar boards.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

grumperfish posted:

Most boards have user-selectable per-core power limits that automatically throttle the CPU speed if they reach a specific power threshold. You can generally set these figures to an arbitrarily-high number to override any throttling when you're overclocking beyond the standard CPU speeds. My board has a per-chip amp/watt throttle setting so I bumped it up to 300A/300W to allow higher limits to overclocking, but I'm not sure what the equivalent setting is with Biostar boards.

I see. Okay, well, I went back into the BIOS and I typed 40, and it forced it down to 38.

Which setting specifically are you wanting me to change? Power Limit 1 Value? Both Power Limit 1 & 2?

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Seems like no matter what I change, it's forcing CPU ratio back down to 40. I really have no clue what to do. I've read people overclocking to 4.7 GHz with this board, and the box the processor comes in says 3570K plain as day, and 'Unlocked'.

Well poo poo, it looks like there are a lot of Z68 boards that have issues overclocking Ivy Bridges. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1917/1/

What the gently caress do I do now.

Also of note, I don't have adjustable controls for the individual cores like it shows in the video. The BIOS isn't equipped to handle Ivy Bridge processor overclocking.

It looks like I'm screwed until I buy a new motherboard. The BIOS is already fully updated. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. I wish someone had mentioned this when I mentioned I wanted to run an Ivy Bridge on a Z68 chipset.

I don't have the money for a new motherboard, so it seems my journey ends here unless someone has a Z77 motherboard they want to give away.

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 30, 2013

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Benjamin Black posted:

Seems like no matter what I change, it's forcing CPU ratio back down to 40. I really have no clue what to do. I've read people overclocking to 4.7 GHz with this board, and the box the processor comes in says 3570K plain as day, and 'Unlocked'.

Well poo poo, it looks like there are a lot of Z68 boards that have issues overclocking Ivy Bridges. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1917/1/

What the gently caress do I do now.

Also of note, I don't have adjustable controls for the individual cores like it shows in the video. The BIOS isn't equipped to handle Ivy Bridge processor overclocking.

It looks like I'm screwed until I buy a new motherboard. The BIOS is already fully updated. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. I wish someone had mentioned this when I mentioned I wanted to run an Ivy Bridge on a Z68 chipset.

I don't have the money for a new motherboard, so it seems my journey ends here unless someone has a Z77 motherboard they want to give away.
Most P67/Z68 boards can run Ivy bridge chips fine if they're updated. You just picked a bad board. Check the parts megathread for a decent recommendation if you intend to replace it.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 30, 2013

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Also, the processor is working, you just can't overclock evidently. It's not the end of the world. If someone had known and told you, what would you have done differently? You already had the motherboard didn't you? Or did you buy it with the processor?

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

grumperfish posted:

Most P67/Z68 boards can run Ivy bridge chips fine if they're updated. You just picked a bad board. Check the parts megathread for a decent recommendation if you intend to replace it.

It overclocks Sandy Bridge just fine. I did update the BIOS, but no dice. This really sucks.

beejay posted:

Also, the processor is working, you just can't overclock evidently. It's not the end of the world. If someone had known and told you, what would you have done differently? You already had the motherboard didn't you? Or did you buy it with the processor?

I would've waited for the Haswell.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not sure why you didn't anyways. IB is not really an upgrade at all over SB if you were overclocking, due to the worse thermal performance of IB.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

KillHour posted:

I'm not sure why you didn't anyways. IB is not really an upgrade at all over SB if you were overclocking, due to the worse thermal performance of IB.

Well poo poo, so I could've gotten a 2500K, overclocked it, and been better off. I sure am good at wasting money!!

I just wanted to stop getting throttled by CPU so much in Planetside 2. For what it's worth, it's performing much better now...

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 30, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What did you have before?

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

KillHour posted:

What did you have before?

An i5-2400 dual-core. Might've been a i5-2400K dual-core, not sure.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:
No such thing as a 2400K unfortunately.

On the bright side the 3570K was a bigger step up than the 2500K and should last you a while.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah, just save up for a new mobo and then you can overclock later. It's all good!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

An Unoriginal Name posted:

No such thing as a 2400K unfortunately.

On the bright side the 3570K was a bigger step up than the 2500K and should last you a while.

Not compared to a 2500K overclocked, though, which would have saved him money for the performance, which is his point

Edit: but as pointed out, you do have a good CPU now and it would be worth simply saving up for a decent Z77 board

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If I overclock my i5 2500K, will it make the built-in GPU faster too?

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

If I overclock my i5 2500K, will it make the built-in GPU faster too?

Generally the frequency settings for the processor's clock speeds and the IGPU are separate, consult your motherboard manual to see if you can do it.

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

grumperfish posted:

I would've suggested not buying a Biostar board, but it's too late for that now.

Biostar isn't all that bad, I have an overclocked 939 opteron 144 on a biostar N4SLI-A9 (1.8ghz to 2.7ghz, with stock amd opteron cooler), ran out of front side bus and didn't mod the bios for more) that is still running 7 years later! I beat the crap out of that motherboard with 2 other overclocked amds, a venice and a san diego.

amp281 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 1, 2013

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Hey, remember that TOVERCLOCKER thing I mentioned? While the BIOS won't let me take the CPU ratio above 38, this utility will. Should I try it?

If I raise CPU Ratio to 40, what should I raise CPU Clock to?

CPU Ratio is at 36 currently, and CPU Clock at 100.4 MHz

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 1, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Benjamin Black posted:

Hey, remember that TOVERCLOCKER thing I mentioned? While the BIOS won't let me take the CPU ratio above 38, this utility will. Should I try it?

If I raise CPU Ratio to 40, what should I raise CPU Clock to?

CPU Ratio is at 36 currently, and CPU Clock at 100.4 MHz

Don't change it. Little gain and SB/IB don't take kindly with it being fussed with.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Dogen posted:

Don't change it. Little gain and SB/IB don't take kindly with it being fussed with.

So just raise CPU Ratio to 40 and nothing else?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah at that level you shouldn't have to mess around with voltage or anything.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Well so much for that. Instant bluescreen!

Guess I shouldn't be surprised. :v:

On the bright side, I got to see Windows 8's new and improved BSOD.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Benjamin Black posted:

Well so much for that. Instant bluescreen!

Guess I shouldn't be surprised. :v:

On the bright side, I got to see Windows 8's new and improved BSOD.
Means you'll need to increase vcore for the higher multiplier, although you usually don't need a voltage increase for such a small bump.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

An Unoriginal Name posted:

Generally the frequency settings for the processor's clock speeds and the IGPU are separate, consult your motherboard manual to see if you can do it.
Ah thanks.

According to this review I can't overclock my IGPU. Oh well.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
That reviewer can't read manuals. MB Intelligent Tweaker -> Advanced Frequency Settings -> Internal Graphics Clock. Raise it until it starts crashing, then turn it to just below that.

StinkingHomo
Oct 8, 2006

I'm in ur house, using ur toiletz
I managed to get a H80i cooler for free and decided to install it, as I already have a Z77 board (MSI GD55) and a i5-3570k processor. Might as well try some overclocking. After playing around with core voltages/core speeds and getting more BSOD-s than I have in my last 4 years combined, I arrived at 1.175 volts and 45 clock multiplier. Those settings managed to run Intel burn test at high stress level without crashing. The only other settings I changed are enabling Intel enhanced turbo for some reason and enabled XMP profiles. Should I just put them back to defaults? Should I actually do anything with turbo settings?
Here's some more info from my successful attempt:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

You will want to run PRIME95 overnight or something. I never had any problems with system stability using IBT with my overclock, but Prime and real-world stuff would hang the system until I got everything just right.

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

StinkingHomo posted:

I managed to get a H80i cooler for free and decided to install it, as I already have a Z77 board (MSI GD55) and a i5-3570k processor. Might as well try some overclocking. After playing around with core voltages/core speeds and getting more BSOD-s than I have in my last 4 years combined, I arrived at 1.175 volts and 45 clock multiplier. Those settings managed to run Intel burn test at high stress level without crashing. The only other settings I changed are enabling Intel enhanced turbo for some reason and enabled XMP profiles. Should I just put them back to defaults? Should I actually do anything with turbo settings?
Here's some more info from my successful attempt:

You got a good chip. Try seeing how high you can get it at 1.3v or even 1.4v if your cooling is adequate. You wont know until you try. If your load temps in p95 are under 80*C you are probably okay for 24/7. Most say you don't want to go over 1.35-1.4v for 24/7 overclock but I think for the average person, temperatures would be too high beyond 1.4v anyway. Over 80 is not safe but I've benched at 90*C load before since I hate my processor.

My 3570k can only do 4.1ghz at 1.175v. 4.5 requires 1.38v! My 3570k is a real pos, but all my previous processors have overclocked better than average so thats life. Delidding didn't even help it.

Also reducing your CPU-PLL from 1.8v to 1.6v can help with temperatures if you start to have problems. The hotter your chip the more voltage you need the hotter your chip so reducing voltages like CPU-PLL can help.

Intel technically overclocks with the turbo mode, but it would lock all your cores to the new turbo multi rather than running a staggered turbo at factory speeds (factory setting is single core highest freq, two core mode less high, three cores even less freq, all 4 cores barely any multiplier boost). I usually believe in changing as little options as possible, see if its stable without the enhanced turbo. I don't know what it does but I don't think you need it to overclock ivy. You should run the XMP profile to make your ram run at the correct frequency.

amp281 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 2, 2013

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
So I'm getting 46c temps at idle with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo on a 3570k at stock settings. Arctic Silver 5 was used. I am thinking I may have fudged something, or does this chip really run that loving hot?

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

Unless you room is really hot, and even that shouldn't affect it drastically, then you should be idling around in the 30-35 range. At least that's where I'm at.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
Apparently it is at 3800mhz with auto vcore, actually. Even so, that does seem really loving hot. I do only have the one fan, however.

I've gotta put a new PSU in (I'm using a PoS Raidmax right now) tomorrow or the next day anywhere. I'll reseat it again and see how that goes.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

grumperfish posted:

Means you'll need to increase vcore for the higher multiplier, although you usually don't need a voltage increase for such a small bump.

That didn't do it either. It's just not gonna work. Oh well. Gotta save for a mobo.

StinkingHomo
Oct 8, 2006

I'm in ur house, using ur toiletz

amp281 posted:

You got a good chip. Try seeing how high you can get it at 1.3v or even 1.4v if your cooling is adequate. You wont know until you try. If your load temps in p95 are under 80*C you are probably okay for 24/7. Most say you don't want to go over 1.35-1.4v for 24/7 overclock but I think for the average person, temperatures would be too high beyond 1.4v anyway. Over 80 is not safe but I've benched at 90*C load before since I hate my processor.

My 3570k can only do 4.1ghz at 1.175v. 4.5 requires 1.38v! My 3570k is a real pos, but all my previous processors have overclocked better than average so thats life. Delidding didn't even help it.

Also reducing your CPU-PLL from 1.8v to 1.6v can help with temperatures if you start to have problems. The hotter your chip the more voltage you need the hotter your chip so reducing voltages like CPU-PLL can help.

Intel technically overclocks with the turbo mode, but it would lock all your cores to the new turbo multi rather than running a staggered turbo at factory speeds (factory setting is single core highest freq, two core mode less high, three cores even less freq, all 4 cores barely any multiplier boost). I usually believe in changing as little options as possible, see if its stable without the enhanced turbo. I don't know what it does but I don't think you need it to overclock ivy. You should run the XMP profile to make your ram run at the correct frequency.

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely try to go higher. Been running Prime95 for ~6 hours now with no errors, temps have settled near ~65. I have one more question though, task manager shows speed as 5.90-96 GHz, while maximum speed is at 4.5 GHz. What does 5.9 GHz that the task manager is showing mean?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
1.4V is the kind of voltage that will kill an i5-3570K in two years. Be careful playing with fire there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Factory Factory posted:

1.4V is the kind of voltage that will kill an i5-3570K in two years. Be careful playing with fire there.

1.4v is the upper end of what you can run 24/7 but I doubt it will kill it, especially with using offset for the voltage, power saving modes enabled, and the system idling at low voltage most of the time. The worse that usually happens is the chip starts to have issues maintaining that clock and requires more voltage so you have to lower the overclock. Most overclockers update in 2 years or less anyway. I would say the biggest thing is making sure temps are under 80*C p95. If your cooling system lets you run as high as 1.4v and its still under ~80*C go for it. Intel's vid table goes up to 1.52v. Not to say its realistic that a stock chip would run at that voltage but the general concensus from most of the overclocking forums is 1.4v is safe, albiet the upper end of safe. From my experience, my chip starts to get too hot around 1.35v even with delid and h100i. I usually run mine 24/7 at 4.0ghz with -.07 offset (usually 1.145v load in cpuz)

StinkingHomo posted:

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely try to go higher. Been running Prime95 for ~6 hours now with no errors, temps have settled near ~65. I have one more question though, task manager shows speed as 5.90-96 GHz, while maximum speed is at 4.5 GHz. What does 5.9 GHz that the task manager is showing mean?

That sounds unusual. Are you overclocking in the bios or in windows? If windows, try to do it in the bios instead. Otherwise, it could be a sign of an instability issue. Try running more voltage and see if it goes away. For example, I've had task manager show incorrect ram quantity when running too low voltage on my Phenom II 965BE. If you are passing p95 but still having strange task manager speeds you must have instability somewhere. Try throwing other stability tests at it as well like Intel Burn Test, Linx, OCCT, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

amp281 fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 2, 2013