Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tyskil posted:

So are there any RPG's on the PS3 or that would run on a not very good computer that have good Magic Systems? I picked Two Worlds 2 up from a bargain bin and the crazy magic system has started me on a wizard kick, but I've just made it to the start of chapter 2 and apparently I'm way over halfway done with the game or something.

I've played Skyrim and Demons/Dark Souls to death, but that's as far as I can think of for "similar" games.

For those of us who haven;t played Two Worlds, what is it about the magic system that is interesting to you? When you point out Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, it isn't immediately apparent to me what you like about their magic systems. Do you just want lots of cool spells or abilities to choose from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darmvlinder
Jan 14, 2013
If it hasn't been recommended before, I just completed BioShock Infinite. While it certainly has it flaws, I never seen something match its art direction. Not even the first BS games. Also, the story has its fair share of mind-fuckery, especially toward the ending. But poo poo, is it well done.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

For those of us who haven;t played Two Worlds, what is it about the magic system that is interesting to you? When you point out Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, it isn't immediately apparent to me what you like about their magic systems. Do you just want lots of cool spells or abilities to choose from?

Two Worlds 2's Magic system isn't something I've really ran into before, instead of set spells you have "effect" "carrier" and "modifier" slots, and a bunch of different things that can be put into those which make the spells do different things. "Air" "Enchant" and "Over Time" turns you invisible, While adding "Damage" and "Protection" to that makes a tornado that pulls physics objects around. You could even do crazy combos like missile spells that summoned things where they hit.

So yeah, it's more "having lots of cool spells" that I'm looking for. The souls games didn't have a ton of spells but they were still enough different types to make it interesting.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
So have you played the other Elder Scrolls games? Arena and Daggerfall are a bit buggy and have a learning curve(especially Daggerfall), but have lots of crazy/neat stuff that you can do with magic, including effects you just plain don't see in games anymore. This includes Arena's Passwall ability, which lets you carve your own routes through dungeons. Morrowind has some fun stuff too(you can create your own spells out of almost any effect in the game), but since you're a goon it strikes me as pretty likely that you've played it before.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

So have you played the other Elder Scrolls games? Arena and Daggerfall are a bit buggy and have a learning curve(especially Daggerfall), but have lots of crazy/neat stuff that you can do with magic, including effects you just plain don't see in games anymore. This includes Arena's Passwall ability, which lets you carve your own routes through dungeons. Morrowind has some fun stuff too(you can create your own spells out of almost any effect in the game), but since you're a goon it strikes me as pretty likely that you've played it before.

Yeah, I should have put "all the Elder Scrolls" instead of just "Skyrim" but I'm used to people just pretending that's the only one anymore, sorry.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
The first game I thought of was Magicka. It's an action RPG, but you attack enemies and cast spells by hitting a combination of elements. I think there's 9 elements to choose from, and the combos all make sense. For example, hitting "Fire,cast" creates a spray of fire. Hitting "Earth, Fire, cast" throws a fireball. Hitting "Earth, Fire, Fire, Fire, Fire, cast" will create an earthquake that also sets all enemies on fire.

The game is, at times, simply finding an OP spell and destroying everything with it. But most of the time it is all about finding the best spell for the moment.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Tyskil posted:

So are there any RPG's on the PS3 or that would run on a not very good computer that have good Magic Systems? I picked Two Worlds 2 up from a bargain bin and the crazy magic system has started me on a wizard kick, but I've just made it to the start of chapter 2 and apparently I'm way over halfway done with the game or something.

I've played Skyrim and Demons/Dark Souls to death, but that's as far as I can think of for "similar" games.
Dragon's Dogma.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
I'm looking for a co-operative game that me and the wife can play together on PC.
I'm thinking some kind of free to play MMO game.
Preferably fantasy theme, Not too action heavy, and something of a lighter theme to it (Warhammer fantasy, or Age of Conan would be right out)
Definitely some non-combat elements needed (crafting, building, etc.) Does anyone do house building like Galaxies used to anymore?

I keep thinking "World of Warcraft", but I've played it for a long time before and I'm pretty tired of it.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Fatrick posted:

I'm looking for a co-operative game that me and the wife can play together on PC.
I'm thinking some kind of free to play MMO game.
Preferably fantasy theme, Not too action heavy, and something of a lighter theme to it (Warhammer fantasy, or Age of Conan would be right out)
Definitely some non-combat elements needed (crafting, building, etc.) Does anyone do house building like Galaxies used to anymore?

I keep thinking "World of Warcraft", but I've played it for a long time before and I'm pretty tired of it.

Tons of high quality F2P MMO's out there. I have a soft spot for Everquest 2... it may seem serious on the surface but the world is very, very lighthearted. Lord of the Rings online is pretty nice. Champions Online is good for superheroes.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tyskil posted:

I have heard Ni No Kuni for PS3 has some of the stuff you're looking for.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
I'm looking for games about the eastern front of WW II that would properly depict the desperation of the Russian army, especially during the early war. I'd like it to be somewhat touching. Close Combat 3 succeeded in this somewhat, being quite bone chilling gruesome at times, though even that didn't have the NKVD units and such that ruined the day of many Russian soldier. I suppose a turn-based game could manage to pull this off as well with detailed descriptions. Genre doesn't really matter as long as it gets the message through.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
After getting a WD up to 60 in Diablo 3, the game just hasn't really grabbed me the way D2 did, or made me feel the need to play another class, or whatever.
I got a new laptop this year to replace my netbook, which was my main computer for the last 4 years or so. At this point I can pretty much run almost anything, and I'm looking for another good Action RPG. I enjoyed D2, Dungeon Siege 1&2, basically I just want mindless pretty clicking and leveling up for when I have a slow day at work but not enough of a solid internet connection to play Starcraft 2. Path of Exile is pretty fun, but yeah, online only. :(

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Quad posted:

After getting a WD up to 60 in Diablo 3, the game just hasn't really grabbed me the way D2 did, or made me feel the need to play another class, or whatever.
I got a new laptop this year to replace my netbook, which was my main computer for the last 4 years or so. At this point I can pretty much run almost anything, and I'm looking for another good Action RPG. I enjoyed D2, Dungeon Siege 1&2, basically I just want mindless pretty clicking and leveling up for when I have a slow day at work but not enough of a solid internet connection to play Starcraft 2. Path of Exile is pretty fun, but yeah, online only. :(

Torchlight 2 with that really popular mod I can't remember the name of.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

SnowblindFatal posted:

I'm looking for games about the eastern front of WW II that would properly depict the desperation of the Russian army, especially during the early war. I'd like it to be somewhat touching. Close Combat 3 succeeded in this somewhat, being quite bone chilling gruesome at times, though even that didn't have the NKVD units and such that ruined the day of many Russian soldier. I suppose a turn-based game could manage to pull this off as well with detailed descriptions. Genre doesn't really matter as long as it gets the message through.

There is a Let's Play of "War in the East" going on. It's a quite detailed strategy game for the Eastern front.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3535440
http://matrixgames.com/products/372/details/Gary.Grigsby%27s.War.in.the.East:.The.German-Soviet.War.1941-1945

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm looking for something like the original A-Train where you make macro-level decisions and initiate large infrastructure projects and watch houses and businesses organically grow up around you over time. It's the organic evolutionary growth that was the coolest bit for me, not very interested in the micro-management. Any suggestions?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I guess this is a better place to ask then the PS Vita thread.

I'm going to get a PS Vita on Tuesday, and it comes with no games, and so I was hoping for some reccomendations for 1 or 2 games to start me off. Don't neccesarily need to be BEST OF THE BEST, but should hold up to a good few days gaming.

My preferences tend towards RPGs and fighting games, but I'm not against playing other genres, if a good game is there.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Exioce posted:

I'm looking for something like the original A-Train where you make macro-level decisions and initiate large infrastructure projects and watch houses and businesses organically grow up around you over time. It's the organic evolutionary growth that was the coolest bit for me, not very interested in the micro-management. Any suggestions?

Railroad Tycoon 3 is probably the closest you can get. The game is quite compelling and you see well-supplied cities grow and expand over time if they're well served by your rail line. The game is roughly equal mix of building industry chains as well as "connect-the-dots" city connections.

There's also Distant Worlds although that's a bit different. The organic growth comes in the form of more private-sector space ships flying around.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Conot posted:

I'm going to get a PS Vita on Tuesday, and it comes with no games, and so I was hoping for some reccomendations for 1 or 2 games to start me off. Don't neccesarily need to be BEST OF THE BEST, but should hold up to a good few days gaming.

My preferences tend towards RPGs and fighting games, but I'm not against playing other genres, if a good game is there.

Gravity Rush - a fun platformer/fighter with a really unique mechanic
Persona 4 Golden - a enhanced version of the one of the best PS2 JRPGs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Conot posted:

Dead or Alive 5+, Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 and BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend are all really good on the Vita. Persona 4 Golden and Disgaea 3 are your go-tos for RPGs at the moment. I'd also check out Gravity Rush, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and Wipeout 2048.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Dead or Alive 5+, Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 and BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend are all really good on the Vita. Persona 4 Golden and Disgaea 3 are your go-tos for RPGs at the moment. I'd also check out Gravity Rush, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and Wipeout 2048.

I've heard Disgaea as a series can be a bit of a grindfest, will I be spending the majority of my time levelling up characters to progress the game, or is it not so bad?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Conot posted:

I've heard Disgaea as a series can be a bit of a grindfest, will I be spending the majority of my time levelling up characters to progress the game, or is it not so bad?

The story part of the game requires very little (and possibly none if you play smart,) but the postgame extras usually require quite a bit.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm looking for two different things.

A combat flightsim that's not War Thunder (looking for something without XP, currency, etc) and a joystick to play it with. I've 90% settled on IL-2 for this, but a good sim-lite mode would be nice.

An RPG. Doesn't have to be fantasy. An interesting storyline is required. I did not like Skyrim (or morrowind, or mass effect, or witcher), and did like Kingdoms of Amalur, Baldur's Gate, Planescape, and stuff like that (ie, either mopre actiony or more D&D-like than Skyrim) if that helps. I don't know how to define this one, but the "big sandbox" games don't appeal to me as much as the "there are heaps of quests and stories" games. Star Control 2 was my favorite game ever, and something that captures the feel of that would be good - that is, there's a big world but it's not a sandbox - there are plot threads everywhere which mostly tie into one coherent main story. I get the shits in Skyrim because there's a whole lot of empty.

Edit: The graphics can be bad for the RPG, and I'm happy to play an old game if it's good.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

AlphaDog posted:

An RPG. Doesn't have to be fantasy. An interesting storyline is required. I did not like Skyrim (or morrowind, or mass effect, or witcher), and did like Kingdoms of Amalur, Baldur's Gate, Planescape, and stuff like that (ie, either mopre actiony or more D&D-like than Skyrim) if that helps. I don't know how to define this one, but the "big sandbox" games don't appeal to me as much as the "there are heaps of quests and stories" games. Star Control 2 was my favorite game ever, and something that captures the feel of that would be good - that is, there's a big world but it's not a sandbox - there are plot threads everywhere which mostly tie into one coherent main story. I get the shits in Skyrim because there's a whole lot of empty.

Edit: The graphics can be bad for the RPG, and I'm happy to play an old game if it's good.

You didn't mention the Neverwinter Nights games, but I assume you've played them; if not, it might be time to! Also, I think you're pretty much the target audience for Spiderweb's games. I'd probably start with Avernum 3, if you like it then check out their other games.

Divinity 2 might also be right up your alley; it has twitchy action combat, and is like Baldur's Gate in that it's open world without ever being directionless or "empty". The Witcher games might be even better, come to think of it.

If you want a more Baldur's Gate-like experience, then Dragon Age: Origins is the way to go. The battle system is real time with pause, and again, the world is open but structured; you're never at a loss for where to go. The party interactions are also very Baldur's Gate 2-esque.

Honestly, there are a lot of good RPGs that meet your criteria.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 31, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlphaDog posted:

I'm looking for two different things.

A combat flightsim that's not War Thunder (looking for something without XP, currency, etc) and a joystick to play it with. I've 90% settled on IL-2 for this, but a good sim-lite mode would be nice.

I can't really recommend a good flight sim, but for a good joystick take a look at the joysticks and throttles made by CH Products. They make some really reliable stuff, even if they don't look as fancy as the ones made by Thrustmaster and the like, and the bundled software is really simple and easy to set up profiles for. I use their 568 Combatstick and Pro Throttle myself, and they've been really good.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ashenai posted:

You didn't mention the Neverwinter Nights games, but I assume you've played them; if not, it might be time to! Also, I think you're pretty much the target audience for Spiderweb's games. I'd probably start with Avernum 3, if you like it then check out their other games.

Divinity 2 might also be right up your alley; it has twitchy action combat, and is like Baldur's Gate in that it's open world without ever being directionless or "empty". The Witcher games might be even better, come to think of it.

If you want a more Baldur's Gate-like experience, then Dragon Age: Origins is the way to go. The battle system is real time with pause, and again, the world is open but structured; you're never at a loss for where to go. The party interactions are also very Baldur's Gate 2-esque.

Honestly, there are a lot of good RPGs that meet your criteria.

Dininity 2 looks pretty neat, I'll check that out. I'm not sure about Avernum, I think I've tried it before, but I might give it a look too.

I know there should be heaps of RPGs I like. Hell, every single Elder Scrolls game ever has looked awesome and I've got all excited and then been disappointed. I'm probably doing a bad job of explaining what I want out of one. The ones I listed all felt like an uncomfortable middle ground between 3 or 4 different play styles. Same with all the Dragon Age games, which I really wanted to like.

As far as joysticks go, thanks Neddy, I'll add those to the list of stuff to check out.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Thrustmaster HOTAS is a great joystick to go for, here's a link to the one I picked up:

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...ustmaster+hotas

It's a sturdy joystick with detachable throttle, two ways to use rudders (stick twist and a rocker button on the throttle) and plenty of easily accessible buttons. Plus it's not horribly ugly and isn't terribly expensive.

As for actual flight sims, I'd recommend digging back a little further to Microsoft Combat Simulator 3, or even checking out Warbirds if you want a different take on WW2 multiplayer flight combat. Alternatively, if you just want a more arcade-y experience, go for Wings of Prey or Damage, Inc.

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 31, 2013

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Are there any good Urban Fantasy games out there? Either action or RPG? Something with a good story and deep customization?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 31, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Are there any good Urban Fantasy games out there? Either action or RPG? Something with a good story and deep customization?

The Secret World is a modern horror/fantasy MMO that you buy once and play without monthly fees.

It's got a great story, every quest NPC is voice acted, and I've been playing for nearly a month without grouping because I'm just enjoying the story heaps.

It's got a good level of ability customisation, although there are still some "best" ways of doing things. There's also a lot of different clothes you can buy, and you can disassemble weapons for their skins, meaning if you find a shotgun that looks cool you can always transfer the skin onto the next upgrade of it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I love the Twilight Zone. Are there any games other than Alan Wake which I have already played that attempt something similar in feel to it?

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
Are there any good indie turn-based or strategy RPG's for PC? A long time ago I played Exit Fate, which was made by a single person yet proved to be the best RPG I've ever played. Something with a class system (I really want to play FFT again but it's just too slow-paced), or leaning towards dungeon crawling (while not super oldschool with awful graphics) would be nice, as well as a difficulty that would require some strategy and thinking to get through.

My favourite RPG's are FF6/Tactics, Exit Fate, Etrian Odyssey (don't like first person perspective though), Vanguard Bandits, Lunar II, Disgaea if it helps.

heiden fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 1, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's not quite indie but you should really look into Temple of Elemental Evil with the Circle of Eight mod.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's not quite indie but you should really look into Temple of Elemental Evil with the Circle of Eight mod.

I'll check it out. The indie part is mostly because I'd like an implementation of modern ideas/the progression of the genre coupled with rather low system requirements since my machine is about half a decade old.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

heiden posted:

Are there any good indie turn-based or strategy RPG's for PC? A long time ago I played Exit Fate, which was made by a single person yet proved to be the best RPG I've ever played. Something with a class system (I really want to play FFT again but it's just too slow-paced), or leaning towards dungeon crawling (while not super oldschool with awful graphics) would be nice, as well as a difficulty that would require some strategy and thinking to get through.

My favourite RPG's are FF6/Tactics, Exit Fate, Etrian Odyssey (don't like first person perspective though), Vanguard Bandits, Lunar II, Disgaea if it helps.

You probably already know this, but the guy who made Exit Fate also made a game called Last Scenario. Have you looked into that at all?

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Chinook posted:

You probably already know this, but the guy who made Exit Fate also made a game called Last Scenario. Have you looked into that at all?

Yea I played that also, though not to completion. I used to hang out in the same IRC channel as the developer but could never successfully bug him to make another RPG, I guess he must have burned out.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Could anyone recommend me some good snes soccer games? Preferably ones with a manager mode?

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Mr Cynicism posted:

Could anyone recommend me some good snes soccer games? Preferably ones with a manager mode?

Super Soccer has no management mode, but it's a absolute blast for clueless two players.

Laughing_Stock
Jun 19, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

I love the Twilight Zone. Are there any games other than Alan Wake which I have already played that attempt something similar in feel to it?

Well if you're looking for a supernatural murder mystery there's really nothing better than Deadly Premonition for Xbox 360. If you have a PS3 you can always wait for the director's cut to release on PS3 around April 30th. A word of warning though, just play on easy and enjoy the game; the combat is a chore and you don't get anything other than achievements for playing on higher difficulties. Also, make sure to take the time to go after some of the character side quests. Almost every resident of Greenvale has side missions that flesh out the town, back story, or their characterization.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

TheJoker138 posted:

This is probably way more primitive than what you're looking for, but the text adventure Shade is the closest thing to an interactive Twilight Zone episode that I've ever experienced. It's a very short game (kinda TV episode-length), but eerie and unforgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

heiden posted:

Yea I played that also, though not to completion. I used to hang out in the same IRC channel as the developer but could never successfully bug him to make another RPG, I guess he must have burned out.

Ever try The Spirit Engine 2. It's more sidescrolling JRPG but the battle system is fairly tactical and the different characters add some replayability (there's 9 in all, but you pick 3 at the start of a game.)