Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

NSMBU provides no more griefing possibilities than Call of Duty. Online play would have been awesome.

:goonsay:

If there was a hard core mode where I could head stomp a teammate to teamkill him and steal his mushroom I'd do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The most obscure manifestation of slacktivism, I'll give him that.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

We must work together and solve the wii U with our forum posts guys.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
:rolleyes: Yes because that is obviously what I meant.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Cliff Racer posted:

:rolleyes: Yes because that is obviously what I meant.

Please clarify what you did mean :allears:.

Because it sounded like you want us to put our heads together to come up with a solution to save the Wii U since Nintendo is gonna take too long doing it themselves :psyduck:.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

My opinion is the same which is to just accept the situation and let things play out. I still wish that the eShop was not such a void and that we had any kind of release dates between now and E3. For things other than Angry Birds Trilogy.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Soul Glo posted:

Please clarify what you did mean :allears:.

Because it sounded like you want us to put our heads together to come up with a solution to save the Wii U since Nintendo is gonna take too long doing it themselves :psyduck:.

That we naturally want to talk about what is going on and why?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Cliff Racer posted:

That we naturally want to talk about what is going on and why?

You strongly implied that it was worse to "sit quietly in a corner and wait on Nintendo", you weird person.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It is worse to see something going poorly, participate in a thread on it, and not talk about why it is going poorly, you weird person.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

theflyingorc posted:

Wait, do you honestly think that you are doing something important by discussing the problems of the WiiU on a message board?

Crazy posters aside, Nintendo has to have noticed that they've made some mistakes. Whether they fix it through the obvious route (funding way more games) or by something stupid remains to be seen, and we'll probably get our first glimpse at E3.

The fact that I read something about a Pikman cartoon makes me worry that their big strategy is:

Step 1: Get kids watching Pikmin cartoon
Step 2: Release Pikman 3
Step 3: Profit

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's not a series, it's several shorts intended to probably be released on the 3ds video thing.

What worries me about their Pikman cartoons is it sounds like a complete waste of time and resources when they almost literally have no games with release dates.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

greatn posted:

It's not a series, it's several shorts intended to probably be released on the 3ds video thing.

What worries me about their Pikman cartoons is it sounds like a complete waste of time and resources when they almost literally have no games with release dates.

I seriously doubt that this will delay anything else that they're working on. How would that even work?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well, it takes animators, directors(Miyamoto in this case), graphic artists, all people who probably have other projects their time would better be spent on.

I also think Miyamoto said he wants to finish these before releasing Pikmin 3 for some reason.

greatn fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 31, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

You strongly implied that it was worse to "sit quietly in a corner and wait on Nintendo", you weird person.

Stop being stupid. It's pretty obvious he's talking about discussing problems with the Wii U without being told he should instead be guessing at the release date for the next Mario game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Any time someone talks about a game in this thread, they get told to take to to some other thread. If talking about what a failure Nintendo is were banned as well, there would be no reason for this thread to exist.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

elf help book posted:

Any time someone talks about a game in this thread, they get told to take to to some other thread. If talking about what a failure Nintendo is were banned as well, there would be no reason for this thread to exist.

The Wii/Netflix Machine/emulator box made loads of money though

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Okay kids, break it up.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Holy poo poo, Game & Wario for Game of the Year, All Years.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

That's loving horrifying I love it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Okay, I wasn't on board with Game & Wario before, but holy poo poo that's fantastic.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Holy poo poo

HOLY poo poo

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This is the best horror game I've seen since Silent Hill 2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I just wish the rest of the game modes in Game & Wario weren't lovely iOS phone games.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

greatn posted:

Well, it takes animators, directors(Miyamoto in this case), graphic artists, all people who probably have other projects their time would better be spent on.

I also think Miyamoto said he wants to finish these before releasing Pikmin 3 for some reason.

They don't usually develop those entirely in-house, there was a pretty good set of animated and CGI video for Kid Icarus around its release time that were largely the work of third parties if I'm not mistaken. I'm all for that kind of extra material.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Huh, I didn't know they made a video game based off my childhood paranoia.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Ahahaha. So wait you have to focus on the pad playing all those minigames while also trying to look out for creepy RINGU mom? That's amazing. Scariest part of the whole thing was the kid owns a Virtual Boy. Clearly this is a hosed up house.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think the creepiest part of the video is realistic 9-volt

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Commissar Ken posted:

Ahahaha. So wait you have to focus on the pad playing all those minigames while also trying to look out for creepy RINGU mom? That's amazing. Scariest part of the whole thing was the kid owns a Virtual Boy. Clearly this is a hosed up house.

As the owner of a Virtual Boy, you are completely wrong. Virtual Boy rules. Wario Land on Virtual Boy rules. :colbert:

The Virtual Boy having a battery lifespan of a Game Gear does not rule.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Game of the Year, All Years, Forever! :colbert: I am definitely getting it now, once I have the money.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The Wii U's biggest problem is going to be that it's playing on the same field as the 360 and PS3 even if it is a more powerful machine. "Core gamers" (stupid phrase) won't care for the tablet and there is little in the launch line up to attract them, too many ports. Nintendo fans don't have a whole lot to go on apart from another rehash of New Super Mario Bros and a distant promise of a new Zelda. Nintendo still appeal as the "family" games console but I doubt many of them bought a Wii at it's $250 launch price, $300 for a basic just seems like a no-go when there is no buzz for the tablet. Also agree with earlier posters that they messed up with the name and have failed to give it an identity outside of the tablet.

The basic has been a joke from the start, missing cheap accessories and a hard drive big enough to actually use. They should have just stuck to the Premium at $300 and then they could compete a bit better with the PS3 or the 360 with Kinect.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Chronojam posted:

fivegears4reverse let me try to clear this up one more time for you, real simple-like:

If you can develop UE3 games for a given piece of hardware, great news! There is a brand new set of tools that make it faster and easier with a more robust internal language, plus the new stuff makes the final product run better, all on that same hardware you used for UE3, with additional new features if you have time and processing power to spare. That new stuff is known as "UE4."

You can develop UE3 games for the Wii U. Extrapolate the above. Maybe Epic just hates money and doesn't want to sell any UE4 licenses for use on the Wii U, that could also be an alternative explanation-- that it's not hardware, not politics, but instead is bizarre marketing choices.

e: I think we mean different things when we say hardware, I mean the hardware, and you seem to mean how many sales receipts there are and Nintendo's negotiations/offers to publishers and middleware developers.

No developer wants to spend time and resources on a platform that's not selling. There's more to a port than whether or not an engine can target its hardware. Not every PC game gets a Mac port either.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Toady posted:

No developer wants to spend time and resources on a platform that's not selling. There's more to a port than whether or not an engine can target its hardware. Not every PC game gets a Mac port either.

Except all new consoles fall under the category of not having as big of a market as the previous generation.

Publishers are just playing the long game with Nintendo. They want Nintendo to get desperate and pay them to bring games over. Hell I wouldn't be surprised to see them do the same to Sony and Microsoft.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Microsoft already throws money at publishers left and right, which is why most publications, TV promotions, and trailers for the past many years almost alwyas have the Microsoft button symbology and screenshots that feature XBox graphics/popups even if it's on every other platform.

At the recent Battlefield 4 reveal, journalists were actually shocked to see a PC version complete with "Press E" prompt during gameplay footage. It's rather odd to see that Microsoft didn't make a deal for that, although it was being actually played using a controller (something Microsoft's also been pushing).

Weird patch release schedules for multiplatform games are also a direct result of Microsoft/Sony negotiations, since they willingly pay more to make every other gamer's experience less enjoyable if it can funnel more attention to theirs; Sony would pay any price to have you say "Don't get the Xbox version, it's got bugs they take forever to fix." And they do.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Publishers are just playing the long game with Nintendo. They want Nintendo to get desperate and pay them to bring games over.

If the system isn't selling, can you blame them?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's a reason why Nintendo paid to make Bayonetta 2 a reality and it wasn't out of the goodness of their heart or to appease Bayonetta fans. They knew they had an uphill battle ahead of them. I would expect more announcements along that route.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I just wish the rest of the game modes in Game & Wario weren't lovely iOS phone games.

There are traditional microgames, too. You unlock them by getting stars/medals/whatever on the regular games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There are traditional microgames, too. You unlock them by getting stars/medals/whatever on the regular games.
Obviously there are, the video shows that. I'm just talking about, like, the game modes like "ninja hopping on platforms" and "grid puzzle" and "offline-only pictionary that no one will play".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Obviously there are, the video shows that. I'm just talking about, like, the game modes like "ninja hopping on platforms" and "grid puzzle" and "offline-only pictionary that no one will play".

I think you're being overly dismissive, but whatever.

EDIT: when I say "unlockable microgames" I mean separate to the Gamer minigame.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So uh, when does this come out? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It still hasn't been dated outside of Japan but one would imagine it'll be out at some point in the next couple months.

• Locked thread