Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Prawned posted:

Snoopy and Peanut haven't pooped since around noon today (now 18:00). I don't think they've eaten anything stupid, but you never really know. Do we wait till tomorrow morning to declare panic stations?

How's their behavior otherwise? Are they showing the usual appetite or refusing food? More inactive than normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

The337th posted:

How's their behavior otherwise? Are they showing the usual appetite or refusing food? More inactive than normal?

We've been watching them for lethargy, they ate all the food they've been given and are smashing the fresh hay. The poops are now beginning to flow again, maybe they were just excited for the new bunny maze I made them? Seems like a false alarm, new at this :( To be fair, there's usually a constant stream flying out their bottoms so 6 hours sans turd was a thing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Prawned posted:

We've been watching them for lethargy, they ate all the food they've been given and are smashing the fresh hay. The poops are now beginning to flow again, maybe they were just excited for the new bunny maze I made them? Seems like a false alarm, new at this :( To be fair, there's usually a constant stream flying out their bottoms so 6 hours sans turd was a thing.

Rule of thumb with bunnies is "it's never too early to start worrying".

Good to hear that they're fine, though.

sirnollem
Apr 12, 2008
Hay questions. We have been feeding Western Timothy from the pet store to our bunny. We have access to free orchard grass horse hay by the bale(family farmer). I had read that if it is good for horses it should be good for bunnies but am curious about the nutrition aspect. From what I've read Orchard grass has a lower calcium and lower protein content. I know too much calcium is bad but is a slightly lower protein content bad if we are not feeding pellets? She get greens morning and night and all the hay she wants just want to make sure that the orchard grass will be good for her before we feed it to her.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

sirnollem posted:

Hay questions. We have been feeding Western Timothy from the pet store to our bunny. We have access to free orchard grass horse hay by the bale(family farmer). I had read that if it is good for horses it should be good for bunnies but am curious about the nutrition aspect. From what I've read Orchard grass has a lower calcium and lower protein content. I know too much calcium is bad but is a slightly lower protein content bad if we are not feeding pellets? She get greens morning and night and all the hay she wants just want to make sure that the orchard grass will be good for her before we feed it to her.

The biggest issue I have had is that local hays often contain a significant proportion of alfalfa or "non grass" roughage plants. Those, you'd want to avoid. Otherwise it's fine. The majority of grass hays are equivalent enough to timothy that it's no concern even without pellets. I feed only bluegrass or orchardgrass preferentially, because they like it more than timothy.

sirnollem
Apr 12, 2008

alucinor posted:

The biggest issue I have had is that local hays often contain a significant proportion of alfalfa or "non grass" roughage plants. Those, you'd want to avoid. Otherwise it's fine. The majority of grass hays are equivalent enough to timothy that it's no concern even without pellets. I feed only bluegrass or orchardgrass preferentially, because they like it more than timothy.

Thank you. Luckily with the farmer being my father inlaw I can make sure that it is all grass and trust it.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Ugh. I forget how long it took Bitsy to ~get better~ when she had headtilt and it's really only been a week that Paterson has been on medicine but I want him to be better NOW. I feel so bad for him. I want him to be able to eat and drink on his own. If he knew how to use the water bottle I would be fine (even if it was just when I was holding it...) but I'm not even certain that he's getting any other food / water than what I give him. His Critical Care is extra watery (3:1) and I give him some other things that have added water (his Gravol mix) and he does also eat some hay and parsley but I am worried. I really wish that they had given me the OK and the supplies to give him sub-q fluids. I think about Pedialyte but he seems to be doing ok so far and I don't know if adding SUGAR is all that great an idea at this point. Unfortunately I can't really monitor his dookie / pee-pee output.
He's still really active and puts up one hell of a fight at medicine time and he's getting ~20-30ccs of his slurry (CC) twice a day.

fuuuuuuuuuuck this. loving head tilt. Be glad if you have never had to deal with it - let alone twice.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Paterson's tummy is hard and still gurgling. We are going to emergency vet as soon as they open (10am). I am that pet owner who calls at 10:02 to confirm that they got my message and that they ARE able to see me NOW.

I'm really worried.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Well of course you are. That sounds serious and we know how fast rabbits go downhill.

By the way if you've got him eating greens then I don't think he needs all that much water to go with it so I wouldn't worry too much. I hope his fighting back during medicine time is a good thing.

I hope he's gonna be okay!!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

luscious posted:

Paterson's tummy is hard and still gurgling. We are going to emergency vet as soon as they open (10am). I am that pet owner who calls at 10:02 to confirm that they got my message and that they ARE able to see me NOW.

I'm really worried.

I hope all turns out well!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

WELL!

After I wrote that message I went and gave him some simethicone and water and WE HAVE DOOKIE! I had to clean it off of him because his dookies are really watery :(

annnnyway. What I'm going to do is go to the grocery store later and get some Pedialyte and some more Baby Oval and keep giving that to him until I am certain that everything is good. The emergency vet here is more of a "come in at noon and you might get seen right away or you might wait an hour or more!" which is total bullshit if I'm paying more than double the cost of a regular appointment but whatever. I think that it will probably be more stressful and in the time that I have been in here with him I have heard no gurggling and guys there was a lot of poopies.

I made an appointment for Monday at 2 and in the meantime I'm just going to keep a close ear and eye on him. I'm also going to stop giving him Critical Care because I think it's too rich. I'm going to crush pellets and give him THAT mixed with water as well as the herbs and hay. If there is another poop shortage the vet will be called and we will rush in after hours. At this point all that I can see them doing is confirm that he has a full belly, give him fluids, and have me wait for dookies.

I also have Reagan (sp) but I didn't want to give him that in case there was a blockage. I'm just going to continue to monitor the poop situation and go from there.

btw, his dookies smell like the worst thing in the world. Cleaning them off of him is its own special kind of torture :gonk:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
The things we do for love

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Medicine time has come and gone. He's as active as he can be (walking around quite a bit) and his tummy was not gurgling as far as I could tell. It also doesn't feel as hard.

I'm continuing to keep an eye on him and we are going in on Monday. In the meantime, I'm going to keep a close close eye on him and am going to keep treating him as if he is in GI stasis.

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me
Catching up on the thread and uhh...no one noticed this?:

ManiacClown posted:

Edit: Oh, and as for timothy hay, her food has it in there and I give it to her by hand, so she does get it.

You CANNOT just give a rabbit pellets containing hay. They need unlimited access to unlimited amounts of actual Timothy hay. Go to the store now and buy some, then place an order for more here: http://www.kmshayloft.com/hay/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

I don't have PMs and I'm not sure if ManiacClown does either, but if anyone can alert him to this, please do.

Also, there's a terrible situation going on in Georgia right now: http://www.examiner.com/article/georgia-house-rabbit-society-intervenes-to-save-rabbits-taken-from-hoarder

My fiance and I both donated to the Georgia House Rabbit Society, and I suggest you all donate if possible and spread the word to your friends: http://www.houserabbitga.com/?page_id=235

You can see updates and photos of the poor things here: https://www.facebook.com/GeorgiaHouseRabbitSociety

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Pig Boots posted:

Also, there's a terrible situation going on in Georgia right now: http://www.examiner.com/article/georgia-house-rabbit-society-intervenes-to-save-rabbits-taken-from-hoarder

My fiance and I both donated to the Georgia House Rabbit Society, and I suggest you all donate if possible and spread the word to your friends: http://www.houserabbitga.com/?page_id=235

You can see updates and photos of the poor things here: https://www.facebook.com/GeorgiaHouseRabbitSociety

Holy poo poo, this is horrifying. The police took animals from a hoarder, only to turn around and give them to someone who wanted a few rabbits for an Easter event? Who the gently caress made that decision? What a sad story for so many of those buns. :(

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
Holy hell that's horrible. Also, that one hits a little close to home - my fiancee's boss is the husband of one of the Chapter Managers.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Well Peanut is recovering from being spayed and in support I have some pics from the last few months.

Funny looking through that another user has a bun named Peanut! She's our "nut" especially when shes crazy...

She's been sleeping on my chest at night it is insanely cute, shes been super horny for me too lol.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
While I was at the feed store yesterday looking to buy 2 more chicks one of the local news stations came in and suddenly I was being interviewed for a story on why people should not buy chicks and rabbits for their children for Easter. I even got a photo of my buns on the tv(I was on as well but it's not as exciting as seeing my bunnies)! It was a good story and they told people not to buy pets for children they have no idea how to care for and punctuated it by interviewing some idiot who had bought his kids a rabbit and doesn't know poo poo about them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

^ Is that a Harlequin/Jersey Wooley mix?

Speaking of the House Rabbit Society, it's Easter, and that means abandoned rabbits nationwide. Sounds like it's time to give some money to the HRS and some stern lectures to people about responsible rabbit ownership.

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Holy hell that's horrible. Also, that one hits a little close to home - my fiancee's boss is the husband of one of the Chapter Managers.

Serella posted:

Holy poo poo, this is horrifying. The police took animals from a hoarder, only to turn around and give them to someone who wanted a few rabbits for an Easter event? Who the gently caress made that decision? What a sad story for so many of those buns. :(

Yeah, it's a terrible thing. Apparently, the police officers involved were terribly ignorant and have since been educated. I feel so bad for all the buns who must have been carried off by hawks... :ohdear:. The buns who made it have a long road ahead of them as well. They're so weak and fragile that they can't be held much and they're not allowed to run :( .

FactsAreUseless posted:

Speaking of the House Rabbit Society, it's Easter, and that means abandoned rabbits nationwide. Sounds like it's time to give some money to the HRS and some stern lectures to people about responsible rabbit ownership.

Yupyup. I've been posting info graphics, doing awareness nail art (Make Mine Chocolate loved it!), and going through the "bunny" tag on Tumblr and info bombing idiots who got/plan to get an Easter bunny.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Whelp, time for some cuter news:

I don't think there's a huge overlap between Bunny fanatics and Hockey fans, so here are pictures of Zenon Konopka's bunny, Hoppy. http://www.nhlpa.com/news/zenon-konopka-and-his-pet-bunny-rabbit

Zenon Konopka is a tough guy/thug with about a zillion career fights and a nose that's been broken more than 10 times.

He also has a bunny that travels with him regularly and has it's own miniature hockey jersey for the team that for which Konokpka currently plays (the Minnesota Wild).

Happy Easter.

grack fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 31, 2013

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
I know its the daily mail, but still.

England's largest rabbit

50 lbs. :stare:

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Wowowow nobody on the planet has a loving clue about what's good for a rabbit to eat.

edit: gently caress that kid

'His diet has not changed much over the years. I have been told by one or two vets that I should not give him all the food but it does not seem to give him any harm.

'He is fit and healthy.'

DS at Night fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 1, 2013

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
My best friend is fostering bunnies through a rabbit rescue and has recently discovered she is allergic to Timothy hay. Are there other alternatives she can use or is Timothy hay the end all be all for rabbits?

Edit: I hope it's okay to ask in here, wasn't sure where else to inquire.

CatStacking fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 1, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

DS at Night posted:

Wowowow nobody on the planet has a loving clue about what's good for a rabbit to eat.

edit: gently caress that kid

'His diet has not changed much over the years. I have been told by one or two vets that I should not give him all the food but it does not seem to give him any harm.

'He is fit and healthy.'

Clearly rabbits are meant to eat crackers

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Lobsterboy posted:

I know its the daily mail, but still.

England's largest rabbit

50 lbs. :stare:

I wanna snuggle dat bunny :3:

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

cuntvalet posted:

My best friend is fostering bunnies through a rabbit rescue and has recently discovered she is allergic to Timothy hay. Are there other alternatives she can use or is Timothy hay the end all be all for rabbits?

Orchard grass or bluegrass. But everyone I've met who is allergic to timothy is allergic to all of 'em.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

alucinor posted:

Orchard grass or bluegrass. But everyone I've met who is allergic to timothy is allergic to all of 'em.

I know she's not allergic to alph-alpha hay but apparently that's not good for rabbits.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

cuntvalet posted:

Which brand hay is she using? Oxbow and Kaytee both give me sneezing fits due to it being dry and dusty, but KMS Hayloft is fresh enough that I can handle it without issue.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Paterdate!

We went to the vet and everything seems to be okay with Paterson. I asked to do an x-ray anyway and while they were setting that up he squirmed and leaped off the table but is fine and the x-ray confirmed that. HOWEVER. His lungs are apparently not as opaque as they should be? The vet tried to explain this to me but didn't really have a reason for that since he can't hear a heart murmur and a spot on the x-ray showed up that wouldn't have shown up if there was fluid around his lungs. So that's a mystery.

His belly is full but his g.i. tract is empty so we started him on Reglan to get things moving. I still have him on the other medicines and even have an anti-diarrhea one if he gets runny dookies again. I'm holding off on that until I start seeing dookies in general though.

I requested a copy of the x-ray so I could show people how bad his scoliosis is. I don't know if this is ~really bad~ or if there is even a scale of scoliosis or whatever but here it is:

I'm a lot more relaxed after this trip to the vet. I am of the impression that Paterson's headtilt will get better and that it needs more than a week of treatment for that to happen (especially since his was never as bad as Bitsy's and is probably getting better anyway). He's still doing stuff and interested in things and being cute. When he's not making death jumps at the vet office.

pseudonordic posted:

Which brand hay is she using? Oxbow and Kaytee both give me sneezing fits due to it being dry and dusty, but KMS Hayloft is fresh enough that I can handle it without issue.

Cuntvalet is in the Great White North, like myself, and cannot have KMS delivered (unless you wish to be our saviour and mail it to the North!!!)

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well in humans if the lung region is entirely black that means there's no tissue there, and the lung has collapsed. The blackness is due to loss of opacity since the space has just filled up with air. And again in humans, a more opaque lung is indicative of fibrosis/fluid buildup/extra gunk that shouldn't be there.

I'm not sure how a less opaque lung would occur or how it is bad so long as there's no underlying respiratory issue. That's an interesting little mystery to me.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

DS at Night posted:

"He feasts on a diet of cabbage, broccoli, corn on the cob, sweetcorn, half a cucumber, a carrot with a top, half a bag of watercress, two sweet apples, two slices of brown bread and Weetabix with cream crackers every single day."

I cringed a little just reading that list of foods, especially all the corn. I think it was this thread where someone talked about a rabbit that had been eating corn to the point that all the undigested kernel husks impacted into a nearly unpassable mess.

The337th fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 2, 2013

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I am worried about Paterson right now.

There is a thin line between "this is how Paterson behaves, don't try to understand it!" and "this is how a rabbit who is really unhappy behaves, do something about it!"

Wish I had a better understanding of where that line is.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

The337th posted:

"He feasts on a diet of cabbage, broccoli, corn on the cob, sweetcorn, half a cucumber, a carrot with a top, half a bag of watercress, two sweet apples, two slices of brown bread and Weetabix with cream crackers every single day."

I cringed a little just reading that list of foods, especially all the corn. I think it was this thread where someone talked about a rabbit that had been eating corn to the point that all the undigested kernel husks impacted into a nearly unpassable mess.

Seeing as the article is dated the 1st I'm going to assume it's an April Fools joke, for my own sanity.

I feel bad for calling Juppo fat now when she goes mad on the broccoli.

edit: Ignore me nudging you because you're typing? I'm gonna stare directly at you while sitting on your phone and pissing on your bed.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 2, 2013

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Ok. We have new dookies! I am now more relaxed about our situation. Meaning, I can breathe and sleep... because last night I didn't get much of either done.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The337th posted:

Cabbage is pretty damned bad as well.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

little dookie prince was in the bathroom when it was medicine time and has since been exploring my bedroom as well! Yay feeling better!! He's such a good boy... he doesn't know any better and I love it. I love that he's doing what he wants again. Leaving a pile of poo poo behind my toilet, hanging out in the closet and under the bed.

He smells really bad though. I have to give him a bath :(

kells
Mar 19, 2009
Lily is naughty and so drat proud of it!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

luscious posted:

little dookie prince was in the bathroom when it was medicine time and has since been exploring my bedroom as well! Yay feeling better!! He's such a good boy... he doesn't know any better and I love it. I love that he's doing what he wants again. Leaving a pile of poo poo behind my toilet, hanging out in the closet and under the bed.

He smells really bad though. I have to give him a bath :(

That bun :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

He kinda looks like an elephant that was reincarnated as a bunny, it's adorable.