Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Yeah, they were at PAX selling the print copy and doing the occasional demo. I've been trying to figure out if those little 3 in one LEGO Creator kits would make a good basis to build mechs from, since they come in pretty consistent colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dr. Platypus posted:

I'm a weirdo who mostly likes mixing and matching minifig parts, and I've noticed I have nowhere near enough hair for all of my figs, and the hair I do have is mostly that dark-brown tossled piece they've included in a ton of sets lately.

What I'm trying to figure out is, is there a better way to get a bigger variety of minifig hair than just ordering a bunch of stuff off bricklink?

Hmm.

1. Go to http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Pick-A-Brick-ByTheme
2. Choose the drop-down box that says Category
3. Choose 'Figure, Hair'

There aren't a lot of choices, but at least you can buy a ton of it, and are assured it's high quality, being that it's direct from Lego.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Red posted:

Hmm.

1. Go to http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Pick-A-Brick-ByTheme
2. Choose the drop-down box that says Category
3. Choose 'Figure, Hair'

There aren't a lot of choices, but at least you can buy a ton of it, and are assured it's high quality, being that it's direct from Lego.

This isn't perfect, but it's a really good start. Thanks!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dr. Platypus posted:

This isn't perfect, but it's a really good start. Thanks!

I wish I had more worthwhile suggestions beyond Lego.com and stocking up on blind-bagged mini-figures. I'm kind of surprised Lego.com's pick-a-brick doesn't have more variety.

Hell, I'm surprised the Lego stores in malls don't offer mini-figure parts in their p-a-b section. They offer animals once in a blue moon - why not offer a bin with hair or hats?

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah, I sometimes (often) buy blind bag figures on the merit of a single part. I might hate every other part of the fig, but I'll drop $3 for some sweet unique hair or face or accessory.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dr. Platypus posted:

Yeah, I sometimes (often) buy blind bag figures on the merit of a single part. I might hate every other part of the fig, but I'll drop $3 for some sweet unique hair or face or accessory.

There are also random miniature sets in little bags strewn around the various brick and mortar stores, but good luck finding out which stores have which sets.

I wonder if there's a good way to find out about the random bagged mini-sets, and what the dates/availability are?

For example: Target has a TIE fighter, a Chima set (some lion on a jet ski), a construction worker with a little cart, and another construction worker with a mini-bulldozer. I just picked up a bagged astronaut vs. a space bug at Toys R Us. Target didn't have the spaceman/bug set, and TRU didn't have any of the four sets Target had - so who knows what K-Mart or Wal-Mart might have. (None of these sets have interesting hair pieces, or hair at all - but you get my point.)

Red fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 27, 2013

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Red posted:

There are also random miniature sets in little bags strewn around the various brick and mortar stores, but good luck finding out which stores have which sets.

I wonder if there's a good way to find out about the random bagged mini-sets, and what the dates/availability is?

For example: Target has a TIE fighter, a Chima set (some lion on a jet ski), a construction worker with a little cart, and another construction worker with a mini-bulldozer. I just picked up a bagged astronaut vs. a space bug at Toys R Us. Target didn't have the spaceman/bug set, and TRU didn't have any of the four sets Target had - so who knows what K-Mart or Wal-Mart might have. (None of these sets have interesting hair pieces, or hair at all - but you get my point.)

I have never in my life had any luck with finding polybags. Seems like the UK gets them as newspaper promotions all the time, but all the stores here have had the same mini TIE and various City police sets for years.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dr. Platypus posted:

I have never in my life had any luck with finding polybags. Seems like the UK gets them as newspaper promotions all the time, but all the stores here have had the same mini TIE and various City police sets for years.

Go to eBay.com, and use 'Lego polybag' as the search term, without quotes. Then you can choose the item location, and sort by cheapest items first. You'll notice an awful lot of UK miniature sets, and the prices aren't bad.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Baron Snow posted:

Yeah, they were at PAX selling the print copy and doing the occasional demo. I've been trying to figure out if those little 3 in one LEGO Creator kits would make a good basis to build mechs from, since they come in pretty consistent colors.

I was there as well and I played a quick demo of it. I bought the book as well. The design of the frames is totally up to the player but as long as you have discrete systems to get blown off they can look like anything. To get a game going you'd either have to get other AFOLs or premake some of them for players without a Lego stockpile.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Considering they want like 10 bucks for 3 minifigs, I highly doubt it.

What I've done before is ask an employee if I could substitue accessories for minifig pieces. Each one is typically legs-body-head-hair-accessory, but I've been able to replace a complete figure with 5 accessories or hair pieces. Not terribly cost effective, since if you get nothing but hair, you'd wind up paying about 66 cents per piece. Sometimes they have a buy-one-get-one-free deal for the minifig packs, which could help. Bricklink's probably cheaper overall, though.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
As a head's up, my Meijer now has buy 1 get one 50% off on some older sets, most notably the ghost train. I assume the whole chain has similar deals.

As to poly bags. Target usually has 2 (the Chima wolf one right now and then a Friends one). WalMart has a poo poo ton.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Captain Invictus posted:

Ouch it's only £3.50 for three minifigs here but choice is incredibly limited.

Anyone got good tips on how to clean Lego sets that have been on display and that have gone dusty (And That can also apply to the few nano block sets I have)?

Also how do you re-white yellowing Lego pieces? I've got Jango's Slave I and its such a badass set its just a shame that this has happened to it.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Captain Invictus posted:

Depends on the LEGO store i guess, when i was in the UK i went to the Sheffield LEGO store with Luminaflare and asked if we could grab a couple of the binoculars from the minifig-assembly station and both got a handful of them from one of the employees there. just try asking i guess?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Anyone got good tips on how to clean Lego sets that have been on display and that have gone dusty (And That can also apply to the few nano block sets I have)?

Air duster and a soft paintbrush or make-up brush.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

The_Doctor posted:

Air duster and a soft paintbrush or make-up brush.

Ah that sounds pretty good. I read somewhere that you can put the pieces into a sock and tie it and throw em in the washing machine but that always seemed a bit extreme...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Ah that sounds pretty good. I read somewhere that you can put the pieces into a sock and tie it and throw em in the washing machine but that always seemed a bit extreme...

Well, yes, pillow case for if you acquire a tub of used bricks, and want to clean them of child cooties and gunk. But it would be slightly deconstructive if you're trying to clean sets you have on display.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

AzMiLion posted:

Depends on the LEGO store i guess, when i was in the UK i went to the Sheffield LEGO store with Luminaflare and asked if we could grab a couple of the binoculars from the minifig-assembly station and both got a handful of them from one of the employees there. just try asking i guess?

Yeah, the Lego store in Sheffield has an awesome manager.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
What's a good whitening method for printed torsos? I have an old white Blacktron torso with a big green B and it's gotten really yellow somehow.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Facepalm Ranger posted:

My method:

1. Get a large bowl.
2. Put a little dish soap in bowl.
3. Fill bowl 2/3rds full with warm water.
4. Put dirty Legos in bowl.
5. Swirl a few times with your hands.
6. Let sit for a few hours.
7. Dump Legos into (ideally plastic) strainer, run under warm water for a minute or so.
8. Dump out Legos on to towel/drainer on the counter. Let sit for a day.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Luminaflare posted:

Yeah, the Lego store in Sheffield has an awesome manager.

God drat, do I have to go to Meadowhall now? I hate that place...

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Between washing and open air drying run your washed Lego through a salad spinner, it cuts drying time in half.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!
You don't have to buy completed minifigs from the Build-A-Mini, you can buy 15 random pieces. As long as you don't go over 15 (5 pieces per mini) you're good to go. We had people come in all the time asking for just accessories, or just hair.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Fatkraken posted:

God drat, do I have to go to Meadowhall now? I hate that place...

Meadowhall is a horrible place were happiness goes to die, and wallets go to be empty. but the LEGO store is a bright shining sun in the consumer hell that is Meadowhall.

And to keep this post somewhat on topic here's a recent MOC of mine
It started off as a over-engineered Turbo Viper but I couldn't build a good looking front end so i made a fighter spaceship out of it.

Jetstream - Turbo Fighter by AzMiLion, on Flickr

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

kim jong-illin posted:

We need to post more MOCs by top quality builders in here.

By captainsmog

I absolutely love the colour scheme and the use of the collectable minifigs.

That is gorgeous.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I decided today to go ahead and put this up finally. It's a comic I worked on years ago now, and I got close to finishing it, so I might as well share. When the gallery is up, you can just start at this link and keep hitting "Next" to see the pages: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5808289 Otherwise, here's a few neat ones to give you an idea of what I was going for:

I think the CG backgrounds were pretty ambitious and didn't really work that great, and in the end I realized I wanted to make the scenes better with some actual lego effects, but I never got around to doing it. The last page would have the pilot say something silly like "Efrem is still a dumb name."

(If you guys can't wait, I'll post all the pages, I just didn't want to clog up the thread too much.)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Could anyone give me some information on the Lego Creator series? I've never purchased a Lego set before but some of the stuff in their series look really cool and fun to build. Would this be a good starting point for someone who wants to "get into" Legos?

Edit: Ah, more specifically the $150+ sets. Like the Fire Station and Palace Cinema.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 31, 2013

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Could anyone give me some information on the Lego Creator series? I've never purchased a Lego set before but some of the stuff in their series look really cool and fun to build. Would this be a good starting point for someone who wants to "get into" Legos?

Edit: Ah, more specifically the $150+ sets. Like the Fire Station and Palace Cinema.

It really depends on what you want to do with your LEGOs. For me, pieces like the Fire Station and Palace Cinema are build and display pieces. However when I got back into LEGO a few years ago, I bought a bunch of the $10-$50 creator sets just for something to play with and build all the different models they have instructions for, just to get a feel for what I wanted out of LEGOs as an adult. Now those sets are all just mixed in with my box of "build whatever you want" pieces, as opposed to my "do not dismantle" sets.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

I'd say the creator sets are a perfect place to start getting into Lego. They have a decent level of complexity to the builds, with 3 models per set so you can try each before making your own models. I don't have much experience with the bigger sets but I've yet to be disappointed by the creator line.

In other news I just picked up 3 series 9 minifigs at random and had the most amazing luck. I've been foiled by the blindbags before, since I never got the centurion I wanted so badly but going into the new series I knew exactly what I was looking for and got each of them. First I got the robot, then Caesar and then the space ork in the last bag. It felt like getting a belated birthday present personally sent to me by Lego. :3:

Debunk This! fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 31, 2013

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I LOVE the creator sets, especially the vehicle ones. I haven't ever bought any of the dwelling types, but the upcoming tree house is gonna change that.

I usually just stick with the 20-40 dollar ones. If I buy something bigger than that it's because it's on sale. I don't buy them for display--they are just fun to build and full of cool pieces. I generally break them down and sort after no more than about a month.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I love the Creator line, but if you're new into Lego, I'd buy a big set (i.e. one of the modulars).

I know that sounds daft, rather than starting small, but it's the bigger sets where the designers can really push the boat out and use interesting techniques. Although I enjoy the smaller Creator sets, there's always a few, "Ohhh, I see what you did there," moments with the modulars that you don't really get with the lower priced sets. I think you can really tell that they are sets aimed at adults when compared to a 5-10 set.

The best thing about the smaller Creator lines is that you're led through multiple builds, so you get three times the building experience without having to engage your imagination...so they are fab for someone starting off, because it introduces you to using the same bricks in different ways.

My first new set was Medieval Market Village, then Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium and Tower Bridge. I regret nothing.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Creator sets also have an excellent price per piece. I recommend the one that can make a robot, helicopter or truck. It was down to $17 for a 223 pc set last I saw at Walmart, and normally is only $3 more. Has some new style pieces and colors too.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Saint Sputnik posted:

Creator sets also have an excellent price per piece. I recommend the one that can make a robot, helicopter or truck. It was down to $17 for a 223 pc set last I saw at Walmart, and normally is only $3 more. Has some new style pieces and colors too.

Seconding this set. I just bought it myself and it was also reduced in Sainsbury's (UK Goon) along with some other Creator sets. I got it because I wanted something to mess around with that had some interesting pieces. Plus that is an awesome shade of green. I grew up in the 80s and 90s and would have killed for the colours we get now.

Also you can build a robot. What's not to like?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Saint Sputnik posted:

I bought that set because it reminded me of springer from transformers.

The only creator sets I tend to avoid are the very yellow coloured sets, the last few times I have bought newer sets that had yellow it in the shades of yellow were all over the place and yellow is one of the least useful colours that I already have enough of.

As for the modulars I have a bunch and like my UCS sets they tend not to be raided for pieces so there value is more as a display piece then as a parts source.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Something to keep in mind is that the Palace Cinema is really the first big set badged as Creator. Previously, the big sets aimed at adults were just in a generic Lego box. I guess Lego wanted to put them in some theme, and just decided "Creator with a 14+ age limit" was good enough.

So when you say Creator, most people are going to think of the smaller sets that have three different models on the box.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ah yes, I was a bit confused when I saw the smaller boxes. I'm probably going to grab one of the larger box sets just to get a nice feel for a "complete" experience.

I'm assuming Amazon is the place to go for these sets?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

obi_ant posted:

As far as online retailers go, Amazon will have what you want in stock, but be aware that the prices, uh, fluctuate quite a bit. There was a TMNT Mikey vs. Krang set I really wanted to grab, and no stores had it - but Amazon did, for $24. Once they were plentiful in brick & mortar stores, they were easily available at $12.99. In these cases, it's an individual seller (or whatever supplier) that was jacking up their price to us and/or Amazon. Just make sure you're aware of what the real MSRP is, wherever you buy from.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Red posted:

As far as online retailers go, Amazon will have what you want in stock, but be aware that the prices, uh, fluctuate quite a bit. There was a TMNT Mikey vs. Krang set I really wanted to grab, and no stores had it - but Amazon did, for $24. Once they were plentiful in brick & mortar stores, they were easily available at $12.99. In these cases, it's an individual seller (or whatever supplier) that was jacking up their price to us and/or Amazon. Just make sure you're aware of what the real MSRP is, wherever you buy from.

brickset.com is your friend when it comes to that. Probably among many others.

Can anyone confirm/deny that Lone Ranger sets are coming out tomorrow? Or at least in time to get them via shop.lego and take advantage of the double points.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Saint Sputnik posted:

Can anyone confirm/deny that Lone Ranger sets are coming out tomorrow? Or at least in time to get them via shop.lego and take advantage of the double points.

April 15th is the hard sell date for Lego stores, dunno about others.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

youareoffthehook posted:

April 15th is the hard sell date for Lego stores, dunno about others.

Can't remember offhand why April 2 sticks out in my head; I know Walmart had them up for preorder, it might have said they start delivering then. Held off ordering from there (they sold out on preorders for some sets anyway) in case shop.lego had them at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Ah yes, I was a bit confused when I saw the smaller boxes. I'm probably going to grab one of the larger box sets just to get a nice feel for a "complete" experience.

Shop.lego.com