Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Drifter posted:

That's why you hold down the tab key to highlight interactive objects. :science:

B-b-but MY IMMERSION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If you actually enjoy pixel hunting there's a surprisingly prolific and successful industry of hidden object games all for you to explore to your heart's content. They're real cheap, too.

As far as I'm concerned, the only dioptre losses I desire to suffer from this game should come from committing irresistible onanism over how good it is.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

general chaos posted:

I would assume things aren't going to be placed in the inaccessible corners of the backdrop. Having a fixed angle means objects would presumably be placed in unmissable spots. You're more likely to miss something with a free moving camera where you rotate it to a spot that obscures something cool. Much in the same way that I always seem to have my camera pointed in the wrong direction whenever one of the scary bits happens in FEAR.

That's the thing though, I'd rather that you can move the camera around so that they can place things in more interesting locations, rather than everything be immediately visible from the top down. The world feels more immersive and dynamic if it's not a painting with all the interaction pointing directly out at the player.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
"Guys! Guys, check it out!"
*camera rotates*
"The chest was BEHIND the tree the whole time!! Hah!"

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I know we joke about immersion, but it's still going to be a video game with limitations, and I'm fine with whatever choice they go with, because no design can completely work with everyone's wishes.

Look, Bioshock Infinite is immersive as hell and really works with its mechanics and engine as an FPS, but I'm still aware it's a game, and no level of camera manipulation or UI design can change that.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
They should announce that the last 200,000 from Fargo and (I forget the other name) will count towards the goals.

"Avellone is once again a writer on Torment" along with some heavy publicizing of that fact should scoop in more people quickly. Regardless of how good anyone else is his name is pretty strongly attached to PS:T.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I don't even have analogies for these anymore.

Have we reached R'lyeh?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

I'm going to be picking the Master of Suicide as my legacy by the end of the Castoffs Labyrinth. That stuff looks cool. :)

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Drifter posted:

"Guys! Guys, check it out!"
*camera rotates*
"The chest was BEHIND the tree the whole time!! Hah!"

Dat sum reddit? Good poo poo :cool:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Have we reached R'lyeh?

I'm still having trouble figuring out the perspective of the dark bluish layer, is that like underneath, or spreading out from the layer above it?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

hangedman1984 posted:

I'm still having trouble figuring out the perspective of the dark bluish layer, is that like underneath, or spreading out from the layer above it?

The weird whale layer? I thought that was essentially a vertical cliff, with the edge of the 'city' walls being built up against it.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
One of the coolest things about this game is that half of it is afterlife focused so at death instead of going :argh: TIME TO RELOAD MY SAVE instead you go :allears: gently caress yeah I get to go to the surreal world and explore!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

hangedman1984 posted:

Pretty sure that's supposed to be the ocean, which the whale is mostly submerged in aside from the "island" growing out of its back.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Great Rumbler posted:

Pretty sure that's supposed to be the ocean, which the whale is mostly submerged in aside from the "island" growing out of its back.
Turns out the whole game is a bad dream about an ex-girlfriend and the wizard that stole her heart.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CottonWolf posted:

Have we reached R'lyeh?

The bottom-most root-tentacle-squid has the best :3: face.

I really hope we get a high-resolution version of that image after the Kickstarter ends.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
That bio-tendril seems to be some kind of reaching-out from the tower on the left. The left tower is purposefully isolated from the tower on the right, which is protected by a small precarious crossing on top, and a maze on the bottom.

The left tower seems to be using bio-tendril to see? influence? spread? to the other areas. Only the right tower is untouched.

So PC-guy has some serious psychological issues basically.

The left tower is "will to live" and the tendril is "using any possible technology"? The right maze is the isolation of morals and "humanity"? the right tower is "sanity, and what could have been"?

Who knows. Should be fun. :)

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, uh, what happened to the jump in pledges that typically happens? I figured we'd have hit 3.5m by now.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
As some people mentioned, Avellone, in his tweet, teased the screenshot, which seems to be coming to the next Monday, means tomorrow...wait...what is the date (maybe not an appropriate day to announce anything, especially stretch goals...)? Also, I wonder if it is being done through cooperation with Obsidian, though. I mean, especially related with the previous update of possible 2D background implementation, which is one of the design plans of Project Eternity.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

BenRGamer posted:

So, uh, what happened to the jump in pledges that typically happens? I figured we'd have hit 3.5m by now.

It happened to PE for the last 6 days, to DFA for the last 5 days, for wasteland 2 for the last 3 or 4 days. Today's Easter so people are probably with family. There will still be a jump, I wouldn't worry unless they do an update tomorrow without there being a jump. Tuesday is also Patrick Rothfuss's monthly storyboard stream with other authors, so he'll probably plug the Kickstarter at least once during that.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

FRINGE posted:

Turns out the whole game is a bad dream about an ex-girlfriend and the wizard that stole her heart.

Mastadon: Not even once.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

Have we reached R'lyeh?

It's an Ur-Quan and a Kohr-Ah. :haw:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/01/torment-tides-of-numenera-first-gameplay-screen-revealed/

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
Looks great, anybody have it in higher res?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Man that looks sweet! I quite like that it's not as greasy and blurry as the concept art shown, but has good definition in the shapes of the building, or whatever the entrance leads to, and the bridge.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I guess it's a good thing I couldn't tell whether or not that was pre-rendered on the first glance.

Looking at the text, it seems that it is pre-rendered, which is kind of surprising to me. I had assumed it would be 3D Unity tech like Eternity and Wasteland. That makes me even more interested!

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Looking at the text, it seems that it is pre-rendered, which is kind of surprising to me. I had assumed it would be 3D Unity tech like Eternity and Wasteland. That makes me even more interested!
The backgrounds in Eternity are all pre-rendered.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Hakkesshu posted:

I guess it's a good thing I couldn't tell whether or not that was pre-rendered on the first glance.

Prerendering doesn't preclude the use of a 3D engine. In fact, it requires one:

Additionally, Eternity is going to use 3D models in addition to the pre-rendered backgrounds so that it can do dynamic lighting, kinda like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F6JVZv2-k4

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Update 12 is up!

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Hot drat that looks amazing. If the final product even looks remotely similar I'll be more than pleased.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Man I wished so long for more traditional isometric RPGs (I think TOEE is one of the prettiest games ever). And now this and PE. This owns owns owns

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Boner Slam posted:

Man I wished so long for more traditional isometric RPGs (I think TOEE is one of the prettiest games ever). And now this and PE. This owns owns owns

Traditional RPG lovers are really being spoiled these days. Divinity: Original Sin just started up a Kickstarter as well, and the game is looking pretty great (particularly the turn-based combat and the easy-to-use editor). Unfortunately, their timing is a little off, since we're all still busy throwing money at Torment.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
That background shot looks so good, now comes the long wait to explore that world for myself. :(

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Traditional RPG lovers are really being spoiled these days. Divinity: Original Sin just started up a Kickstarter as well, and the game is looking pretty great (particularly the turn-based combat and the easy-to-use editor). Unfortunately, their timing is a little off, since we're all still busy throwing money at Torment.

This needs a lot more love.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I grabbed the full-sized image, punched up the Bloom theme from the Kickstarter page, and then went full screen on that thing.

So...yeah...

Now, I'm imagining gurgling biological processes, hissing steam, crackling lamps, the din of a crowd in the distance, merchants calling out for my attention. Make it happen, guys! I'm ready!

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Megazver posted:

This needs a lot more love.

I already pledged. I hope they make it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Okay, that sure is pretty. Looks somewhat more cartoony than I was expecting, but I like it.

EDIT: Also, looking more closely, the fact that the floor texture looks sort of like flaps of skin is a suitably creepy touch.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 1, 2013

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
drat that is looking good. Reassuring to see that they understood why people were a bit worried about how the game would look and subsequently nailed it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Looks good. Brother None, do you know if you guys are going to do any parallax effect, so that distant background moves at a slightly different rate then the foreground? Seems like that would be a really nice effect.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Screenshots looks awesome, but there is even better version of it coming later this week

Brian Fargo's Twitter account posted:

The early feedback on the screen shot is super positive. Wait till you see animation in it this week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Zilkin posted:

Screenshots looks awesome, but there is even better version of it coming later this week

Here's a version (via RPGCodex) with the Planescape Torment characters pasted in:

• Locked thread