Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
drat it, EvW, why couldn't you have just been Shadow President HD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Is there an easy way to disable an event in Darkest Hour? I'm playing Kaiserreich as the CSA and liberated South-East Asia from the Germans, and an event keeps firing that is meant to be the German Empire acknowledging Vietnam's independence but it is ending the war at large before I can liberate Europe from Mitteleuropa. Ideal would be some way to disable it for just this save, but having to edit the event back again wouldn't be a disaster.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

ArchRanger posted:

Is there an easy way to disable an event in Darkest Hour? I'm playing Kaiserreich as the CSA and liberated South-East Asia from the Germans, and an event keeps firing that is meant to be the German Empire acknowledging Vietnam's independence but it is ending the war at large before I can liberate Europe from Mitteleuropa. Ideal would be some way to disable it for just this save, but having to edit the event back again wouldn't be a disaster.

If Vietnam is your puppet maybe you could change the event parameters to not trigger if Vietnam is a puppet?

I'm thinking in my next Union of Britain game I might try and write up an event where you can capture Edward VIII and bring him to justice if you destroy the Entente.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Doesn't Paradox have way better quality control among its publishing house now? How is that dev diary not a serious red flag?

gradenko_2000 posted:

drat it, EvW, why couldn't you have just been Shadow President HD?
I'm piddling away at a project pretty similar to this, but it's one of the projects I'm learning with so it may never see the light of day. Also I'm really terrible at graphics programming :eng99:

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I'm piddling away at a project pretty similar to this, but it's one of the projects I'm learning with so it may never see the light of day. Also I'm really terrible at graphics programming :eng99:

Are you serious? Please don't give up.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I'm not giving up, it's just something I'm slowly plugging away at. I still have a long way to go, if March's One Game a Month taught me anything. Pygame was also a total pain in the rear end so now I'm back to basics learning Unity. Between starting a job as a register jockey at McDonalds and putting in time to finding a real job that will use my fancy college learning, I can only spare a little time every few days.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Just out of interest, what year/general time period are you planning to set your game in? Shadow President/CyberJudas start at the very end of East versus West's covered era, but the basic game concept could work just as well - If not better - for a cold war game.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The worst part is that, if it fails like Magna Mundi, and after the Paradox France breakup, it might make Paradox much less likely to collaborate with external small teams, although it was a really nice policy in the absolute.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kuiperdolin posted:

The worst part is that, if it fails like Magna Mundi, and after the Paradox France breakup, it might make Paradox much less likely to collaborate with external small teams, although it was a really nice policy in the absolute.
What's the cause behind stuff like this? Is it just that fans with official backing and resources tend to feature-bloat due to overestimating how much time and stuff and everything they have to work with, or...? Why'd the Darkest Hour team not screw up where the others have screwed up?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Gimmick Account posted:

Just out of interest, what year/general time period are you planning to set your game in? Shadow President/CyberJudas start at the very end of East versus West's covered era, but the basic game concept could work just as well - If not better - for a cold war game.
Near future. Just enough to smooth out some complexities that won't be in by design. The Israel-Palestine conflict will be a focal point, but structureless poo poo like Libya or Afghanistan-Pakistan-Taliban or whatever the gently caress is happening in Lebanon these days can be eased into a plausible future. You're a rogue agent from some nation (the idea is to have it be picked randomly, weighted by difficulty, because they'll be hunting you, but it might just end up being America regardless) and it's basically Shadow President with non-state actors, with enough Covert Action and Hidden Agenda to keep the player engaged. It's a design goal of mine for the player to be able to construct a supply chain consisting of Seedy Men providing arms to a rebel group you organized under a false flag to try and trigger a war between two nations.

The actual design is pretty well developed since I've been tinkering with it for years, but the implementation is kicking my rear end.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Ofaloaf posted:

What's the cause behind stuff like this? Is it just that fans with official backing and resources tend to feature-bloat due to overestimating how much time and stuff and everything they have to work with, or...? Why'd the Darkest Hour team not screw up where the others have screwed up?

As I recall, both the AoD and DH teams had prior programming experience - when Paradox announced they'd stop licensing their old engines to developer studios, they noted they would still work with experienced studios, likely because of things like DH and AoD which worked great out of the box.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Let's not bury this one, yet. Yes, that last developer diary sounded frighteningly ubikesque, but the screenshots themselves suggest a pretty grounded game to me. I do wish they would divulge more actual info about the diplomatic machinations instead of just hot air, though. :/

And good luck with your game, Wolfgang Pauli. That seems like a ton of work for one person.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ofaloaf posted:

Why'd the Darkest Hour team not screw up where the others have screwed up?

For one, several of the DH team were HOI2 modders, and with the exception of the map, the sights of DH were set fairly low: Just export as much stuff as you can to editable files, keep the "official" balance/mechanics changes modest, and leave it up to the community to tinker with the game and make whatever changes they want, which they'll be able to do because you already exported all that stuff to the editable files.

AOD was cool and all, but the abject lack of mod support and keeping the engine unoptimized was a kick in the balls.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I hope I get the chance to kickstart you someday!

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I have a couple of Steam keys for EU 3: Chronicles, does anyone want them?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Gimmick Account posted:

Let's not bury this one, yet. Yes, that last developer diary sounded frighteningly ubikesque, but the screenshots themselves suggest a pretty grounded game to me. I do wish they would divulge more actual info about the diplomatic machinations instead of just hot air, though. :/

And good luck with your game, Wolfgang Pauli. That seems like a ton of work for one person.

This is true, the screenshots definitely made it seem better done than the writing of the dev diaries implied. I wouldn't be quick to dismiss it.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Beamed posted:

This is true, the screenshots definitely made it seem better done than the writing of the dev diaries implied. I wouldn't be quick to dismiss it.

You don't mind that i am already dismissing it because it spent dev diaries on the army and navy before the political and economic systems, right?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Beamed posted:

As I recall, both the AoD and DH teams had prior programming experience - when Paradox announced they'd stop licensing their old engines to developer studios, they noted they would still work with experienced studios, likely because of things like DH and AoD which worked great out of the box.
That's just it, though. This is the AoD team.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I'm guessing that the "A Hearts Of Iron Game" pigeonhole left the dev team kind of confused on the best way to approach a cold war game, particularly when HoI is historical/reasonable for *maybe* 15 years when this game has to hold onto a semblance of reality for 40 years.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Is there any reason to even run a 24 hour clock on a Cold War game instead of a daily tick?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Is there any reason to even run a 24 hour clock on a Cold War game instead of a daily tick?

Yeah in HoI it made sense because of the tight military planning going on but playing a game that runs from after WWII to 1991 on an hourly clock will be a nightmare.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

A nuclear exchange would take less than half-a-day to play out comes to mind, especially when EvW is NOT taking the Balance of Power approach and letting play continue even in the event of nukes flying.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
That seems like a huge edge case for a game that has almost three times as many ticks as EU3.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

That seems like a huge edge case for a game that has almost three times as many ticks as EU3.

But hourly ticks are usually processed super fast because most calculations are done daily, not hourly. It's not like that means the game will last three times as long as EU3.

edit: How many ticks are in a MotE day? I forget if it's a full 24 or if it's less. Either way, those days go by super fast on the fastest setting.

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009

Watuhboy posted:

I would like one. Thanks.

NextSundayA.D. fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 1, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

But hourly ticks are usually processed super fast because most calculations are done daily, not hourly. It's not like that means the game will last three times as long as EU3.

edit: How many ticks are in a MotE day? I forget if it's a full 24 or if it's less. Either way, those days go by super fast on the fastest setting.

You make a good point. There are 12 ticks in a single MOTE day, and as far as I can tell hourly ticks are used only for battle resolution - even movement is progresses per-day, and most actions are recalculated either per-day or per-month.

And speaking of MOTE, has anyone made a "lots more generals" or even "random generals" mod for that yet? The lack of leaders for a nation like the Ottomans or Austria is really killing it.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Gimmick Account posted:

I'm hoping they're just finding it hard to explain what they're doing because they're not native english speakers. I want to believe :(

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This is one of those jokes that will actually be turned into content after enough people pester them about it, isn't it?

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

Oh, I hope so. The DayZ angle alone isn't that great, but expanded construction? Plagues, biowarfare and more manipulated events? Controllable trait development? Wars for survival rather than ideology, pretty borders or because you forgot to invite a nephew to a feast? Yes please!

If it were Arrowhead instead of PDGS I could see it not even being a joke to begin with.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Watuhboy posted:

I would like one, if you still have any!

I was just considering picking it up, and had come to the conclusion that I should wait for EU4, when up you pop :)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Would non ironically enjoy CKZ or CK Supernatural.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So, tutorial wise who's going to teach me how to play East vs West? McCarthy?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SkySteak posted:

Pol Pot.

E: Alternatively, Kissinger.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

SkySteak posted:

Hitler, from his underground Antarctic base.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Continuing the HoI 3 tradition, Saddam Hussein.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SkySteak posted:

I hear Oliver North is doing the video game consultant thing these days.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

For a second I thought it was referring to Dragonball Z. Super Saiyan William the Conquerer

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
DUDE!! I would so totally buy a Zombie expansion. I hope that what it is, is that they made this as an April Fools joke, but only to cover for actually releasing it in secret for Halloween. That would be just amazing. Also: Zombie succession is hilarious. :allears:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Just sent a Key to NextSundayA.D. via hotmail.

Myssu: Need an e-mail address to send the key to. I don't have PMs.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
I'm excited about EvW. Looks like they are catering to grognards more a bit. Time to learn a more complex game system, Paradox Gamer Scrubs :smug:

*says the person still unable to play HOI3 but can play WitE just fine*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I want this to happen just to see the forums meltdown.

• Locked thread