Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Riptor posted:

Something I realized this morning:

In Back to the Future II, the Hill Valley Courthouse in 2015 has been changed into the Courthouse Mall. I always thought it was just a simple reflection on how times change and the world becomes more commercialized, etc, and especially a nod towards the mall craze of the 1980s. But there's an extra layer to it - earlier when Doc is telling Marty about the swiftness with which Marty's kids get convicted, he mentions that the justice system works much faster "now that they've abolished all laywers". If there's no lawyers you don't need a courthouse to be a courthouse anymore!

Never noticed that one before.

Another BBTF one, subtle, but well known. When Marty first uses the Delorean it's at the "Twin Pines Mall". When he first travels to the past, he destroys one of the two pine trees on the Farm where he arrives. When he gets back to 1985, the mall has been renamed to the "Lone Pine Mall"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm rewatching Dexter and in season three Dexter is invited to Miguel Prado's house for dinner. The main theme of the season is the importance and volatility of family. Miguel references a picture of his father and how he was a "mean, drunken bastard but I guess he's in me as well" (paraphrased). When the camera switches to Dexter, he's facing away from the picture and his head blocks all but the smallest corner of the frame and you never see Miguel's fathers face.
I took this as foreshadowing that Dexter woulds soon become his mentor-of-sorts in the killing business. What Miguel's father left behind, Dexter will foster and let grow; much like Harry did before he died.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.

CzarChasm posted:

Never noticed that one before.

Another BBTF one, subtle, but well known. When Marty first uses the Delorean it's at the "Twin Pines Mall". When he first travels to the past, he destroys one of the two pine trees on the Farm where he arrives. When he gets back to 1985, the mall has been renamed to the "Lone Pine Mall"

Something that might be kind of obvious that I still never noticed until just the other day: Right after they complete the first time machine trial with Einstein in the Delorean, Doc is talking about going to the future and all the things he'll do. He mentions offhand that he'll be able to "find out who won the World Series for every year from now until then." BTTF foreshadows the plot of the second movie in the first 30 minutes of the first movie.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Robo Pope posted:

He mentions offhand that he'll be able to "find out who won the World Series for every year from now until then." BTTF foreshadows the plot of the second movie in the first 30 minutes of the first movie.

The almanac had the results for horse races though.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Ariong posted:

It was every game of every sport.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ariong posted:

I thought it was an all-purpose almanac, including all the major sports results?

EDIT: Beaten

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Coffee And Pie posted:

It was every game of every sport.

Yep.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
In Django Unchained there's a great bit where Django is practicing shooting on a snowman. There is a long shot of Django walking over to the snowman, then in the next shot Dr. Schultz slowly rises into frame where there was clearly no way he was there before. He would have had to been buried in the snow or something. It's just such a great little pulpy moment.

Also, I'm not 100 percent sure about this, but I believe Quentin Tarantino's character is the only white man with speaking lines that doesn't say the word friend of the family.

There's also an exchange in season one of Archer which is just so great and I missed a million times before. It's in the episode with the Monaco Gran Prix

Benoit: Now if you'll excuse me I need to go find some towels (quietly) and a whore
Archer: Not too thick on either, Benoit... Balls

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Macaroni Surprise posted:

Also, I'm not 100 percent sure about this, but I believe Quentin Tarantino's character is the only white man with speaking lines that doesn't say the word friend of the family.
Perhaps as an apology for how many drat times he says it in Pulp Fiction?

quote:

There's also an exchange in season one of Archer which is just so great and I missed a million times before. It's in the episode with the Monaco Gran Prix

Benoit: Now if you'll excuse me I need to go find some towels (quietly) and a whore
Archer: Not too thick on either, Benoit... Balls

Doesn't Archer have to add "Balls" every time someone says Benoit's name in that episode?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Robo Pope posted:

Something that might be kind of obvious that I still never noticed until just the other day: Right after they complete the first time machine trial with Einstein in the Delorean, Doc is talking about going to the future and all the things he'll do. He mentions offhand that he'll be able to "find out who won the World Series for every year from now until then." BTTF foreshadows the plot of the second movie in the first 30 minutes of the first movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADXs2C4Vmho

I think this is what Robo Pope was referring to, as well as the almanac.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lord Chumley posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADXs2C4Vmho

I think this is what Robo Pope was referring to, as well as the almanac.

Still the most unrealistic thing in that movie.

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.

Macaroni Surprise posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure he says it in at least his first line.

Another Django Unchained thing: When Django and Schultz first meet Candie, Django goes to sit next to a man at the bar. The man asks him his name and how to spell it. Django spells his name and explains that the D is silent, to which the man replies, "I know."

The man is played by Franco Nero, who played Django in the original 1966 film.

Goofus Giraffe
Sep 26, 2007
In Dr. Strangelove, the primary target for The Leper Colony is the ICBM complex at Laputa. In addition to "la puta," that name also refers to the floating city of Laputa in Gulliver's Travels. In the novel, the citizens of Laputa are caricatures of excessive belief in scientific rationalism. I thought that the reference's meaning kind of ended there, but it also seems that the Laputa section of the novel is one of the first instances in literature of aerial bombardment as military strategy.

That's all well and good, but there is also the fact that the citizens of Laputa end up so wrapped up in scientific thought that they need an attendant to smack an inflated bladder against their mouth in order to remind them to speak.

President Muffley: "Of course I like to speak to you!... Of course I like to say hello!... Not now, but anytime, Dmitri. I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened... It's a friendly call. Of course it's a friendly call... Listen, if it wasn't friendly... you probably wouldn't have even got it."

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Goofus Giraffe posted:

In Dr. Strangelove, the primary target for The Leper Colony is the ICBM complex at Laputa. In addition to "la puta," that name also refers to the floating city of Laputa in Gulliver's Travels. In the novel, the citizens of Laputa are caricatures of excessive belief in scientific rationalism. I thought that the reference's meaning kind of ended there, but it also seems that the Laputa section of the novel is one of the first instances in literature of aerial bombardment as military strategy.

That's all well and good, but there is also the fact that the citizens of Laputa end up so wrapped up in scientific thought that they need an attendant to smack an inflated bladder against their mouth in order to remind them to speak.

President Muffley: "Of course I like to speak to you!... Of course I like to say hello!... Not now, but anytime, Dmitri. I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened... It's a friendly call. Of course it's a friendly call... Listen, if it wasn't friendly... you probably wouldn't have even got it."

This goes along with my theory as well that everything in Doctor Strangelove is a sexual double entendre as La Puta can also mean the whore. Pretty much every characters name has a sexual connotation.
"Buck" Turgidson - A Buck is known for it's sexual virility while turgid is used to describe a penis.
General Jack D. Ripper - The sexual nature of Jack the Ripper's crimes
Lionel Mandrake - Mandrake was believed to be an aphrodisiac in addition to a poison likewise...
Col "Bat" Guano - another aphrodisiac
Major T. J. "King" Kong - Fell in love with the starlet leading to his death
Alexei de Sadeski - drop the ski and you have 'de Sade' from which we get sadism
Merkin Muffley - In effectual president 'Muff'
etc...

Knifey McSpoon
Mar 3, 2009
^ I think you may be onto something here. A Merkin is also a pubic wig!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Hughlander posted:

This goes along with my theory as well that everything in Doctor Strangelove is a sexual double entendre as La Puta can also mean the whore. Pretty much every characters name has a sexual connotation.
"Buck" Turgidson - A Buck is known for it's sexual virility while turgid is used to describe a penis.
General Jack D. Ripper - The sexual nature of Jack the Ripper's crimes
Lionel Mandrake - Mandrake was believed to be an aphrodisiac in addition to a poison likewise...
Col "Bat" Guano - another aphrodisiac
Major T. J. "King" Kong - Fell in love with the starlet leading to his death
Alexei de Sadeski - drop the ski and you have 'de Sade' from which we get sadism
Merkin Muffley - In effectual president 'Muff'
etc...

What? That movie can only be read as being all about war and fighting and the cold war, why just look at the poster for the film...

Welp.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Choco1980 posted:

Doesn't Archer have to add "Balls" every time someone says Benoit's name in that episode?

Yeah, it's almost a compulsive tick by the end.

An recurring one in Archer I like is that as the series goes on everyone at least mentions that ISIS' building gets dirtier and grosser. Which makes sense when you remember Mallory murdered all the cleaning ladies for unionizing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Razorwired posted:

Yeah, it's almost a compulsive tick by the end.

An recurring one in Archer I like is that as the series goes on everyone at least mentions that ISIS' building gets dirtier and grosser. Which makes sense when you remember Mallory murdered all the cleaning ladies for unionizing.

That's how you get ants.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
Back to the future. Doc Browns first name is Emmett.

emit

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

ducttape posted:

Back to the future. Doc Browns first name is Emmett.

emit

So emit brown; his name is rear end in a top hat?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's Time backwards. But I like the cut of your jib.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Christopher Lloyd was a high school senior in 1955...

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
When Doc Brown tells Marty it's his kids that are the problem (in the future) (this incarnation of Dr. Brown is from the future) at the end of BTTF1, he is foreshadowing Back to the Future 2, in which Marty's son gets in trouble in the future and Marty has to save him

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Choco1980 posted:

The best part of that scene is when you see his wife. :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

When Doc Brown tells Marty it's his kids that are the problem (in the future) (this incarnation of Dr. Brown is from the future) at the end of BTTF1, he is foreshadowing Back to the Future 2, in which Marty's son gets in trouble in the future and Marty has to save him

Please, tell me more about that subtle movie moment that literally the ending cliffhanger of the movie and in no way was an extraordinarily blatant sequel hook.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

scary ghost dog posted:

Throughout the beginning of Return of the Jedi, you find out that Luke, Leia, Lando, Chewie, and the droids are all heading to Jabba's palace to save Han. How did they know to do this? Because at the end of Empire Strikes Back they talked about how they have to go track down Boba Fett to save Han.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
In he first season of Dexter there's a scene with him having dinner with his sisters boyfriend who ends up being his brother/main killer he's after the beer they're drinking is "Jekyll and Hyde" brand beer.

They have another few instances of relevant or funny beer labels in the series such a person he's after drinking Dead Guy Ale.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Sagebrush posted:

Please, tell me more about that subtle movie moment that literally the ending cliffhanger of the movie and in no way was an extraordinarily blatant sequel hook.

Wasn't it just put in because they didn't know how to end it? I remember hearing that they had absolutely no plans for a sequel at the time it was made and they just pulled the final scene out of their rear end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Wasn't it just put in because they didn't know how to end it? I remember hearing that they had absolutely no plans for a sequel at the time it was made and they just pulled the final scene out of their rear end.

Yeah, the "To Be Continued..." bit actually wasn't even in theatrical release. It was only added once it hit home video.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Robert Zemeckis has said at the time he wished he never did it because when they were approached for the sequel they realise they'd sort of hosed themselves.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another thing they regretted doing was having Jennifer get in the car too since they had nothing for her to do.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Robo Pope posted:

He mentions offhand that he'll be able to "find out who won the World Series for every year from now until then." BTTF foreshadows the plot of the second movie in the first 30 minutes of the first movie.

Which is funny because in BTTF2, Doc tells Marty as he's throwing away the Almanac that he didn't invent the time machine for personal gain but to know more about the universe.

Also, pretty sure the whole bit about the Cubs beating Miami in the 2015 World Series was both a jab at the Cubs' drought and a rare serious attempt at predicting the future by saying Miami would get an MLB team which was all the sports world was talking about at the time. It also led to a whole bunch of urban legends over how BTTF2 predicted the 1997 World Series which will make the actual prediction, the 2015 World Series, more fun to watch.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Intrusive Thoughts posted:

Also, pretty sure the whole bit about the Cubs beating Miami in the 2015 World Series was both a jab at the Cubs' drought and a rare serious attempt at predicting the future by saying Miami would get an MLB team which was all the sports world was talking about at the time. It also led to a whole bunch of urban legends over how BTTF2 predicted the 1997 World Series which will make the actual prediction, the 2015 World Series, more fun to watch.

I Am Legend correctly predicted which teams would play in the 2008 Super Bowl, although it didn't get the winner right. Now I want to know about more movies that incidentally predicted the future.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The thing about the Cubs beating Miami in the World Series is that they won't play in the World Series, they're in the same League.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Peanut President posted:

The thing about the Cubs beating Miami in the World Series is that they won't play in the World Series, they're in the same League.

The Marlins are going to switch leagues and become the Gators, and they're going to bring the Astros back. Clayton Kershaw is going to get the Cy Young and win 2 games in the World Series for us, and Anthony Rizzo will be the World Series MVP.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge has been called not only the gayest Elm Street film, but the gayest horror movie of all time. That's not an insult; the theme is really, really gay. This included scenes involving phallic imagery (such as a snake being placed around someone's neck), a homosexual gym coach (who liked 'pretty boys'), homoerotic dialogue ("Someone (Freddy) is trying to get inside me!"), right down to the main actor, Mark Patton, who was out of the closet during filming. However, while it was supposed to be 'subtle', many members of the crew claimed they had no idea what was going on. Screenwriter David Chaskin has pointed out that supposedly not only did he intend for this to be a film to freak out straight men, with an almost homophobic bent to it, and that he had purposely written in "gay" scenes to achieve that effect, but also that he told no one about it and everyone just sort of subliminally realized what the film was supposed to be.

I've said all that to say this: my favorite subtle moment in this film is when helping Jesse clean up his room, Lisa goes into his closet to put something away. And on the top shelf is a game with a very suggestive name...

Man, I hope it's about alien experimentation.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Skunkrocker posted:

A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge has been called not only the gayest Elm Street film, but the gayest horror movie of all time. That's not an insult; the theme is really, really gay. This included scenes involving phallic imagery (such as a snake being placed around someone's neck), a homosexual gym coach (who liked 'pretty boys'), homoerotic dialogue ("Someone (Freddy) is trying to get inside me!"), right down to the main actor, Mark Patton, who was out of the closet during filming. However, while it was supposed to be 'subtle', many members of the crew claimed they had no idea what was going on. Screenwriter David Chaskin has pointed out that supposedly not only did he intend for this to be a film to freak out straight men, with an almost homophobic bent to it, and that he had purposely written in "gay" scenes to achieve that effect, but also that he told no one about it and everyone just sort of subliminally realized what the film was supposed to be.

I've said all that to say this: my favorite subtle moment in this film is when helping Jesse clean up his room, Lisa goes into his closet to put something away. And on the top shelf is a game with a very suggestive name...

There's nothing more hetero than a long, hard game of Probe :colbert:

Marengo
Aug 6, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

Probe is a game in which you try to guess your opponents' secret word before they guess yours. It's only risque if you want it to be.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Marengo posted:

Probe is a game in which you try to guess your opponents' secret safe word before they guess yours. It's only risque if you want it to be.

Fixed that for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

ThaShaneTrain posted:

They have another few instances of relevant or funny beer labels in the series such a person he's after drinking Dead Guy Ale.

In Wristcutters Eugene reveals that he killed himself on stage by dousing his electric guitar in beer. He does so with a bottle of Dead Guy.

Encino Man wasn't a great movie but I caught one while it ran in the background. When Link is in the museum he watches the staff assembling a skeleton. When they put the last rib in he touches his ribcage with a :smith: face. They're referencing Adam and Eve. He misses his wife/mate.