Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
People can use Bluetooth enabled stuff already-- its just a catch 22 of "are enough potential customers using controllers that it would be worth designing a big title around" for devs and "are there enough games that I want to play that support iOS controllers to make buying one worth it" for consumers. I'm not convinced that an official controller would solve this (unless it was like, a pack-in with the next iPad or something) so that's why I'm kind of skeptical despite the rumors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I leave you guys alone for like half a year, come back and the main derail is still buttons suck, no they don't, yes they do. *walks slowly backwards and disappears in to the night*

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

goferchan posted:

People can use Bluetooth enabled stuff already-- its just a catch 22 of "are enough potential customers using controllers that it would be worth designing a big title around" for devs and "are there enough games that I want to play that support iOS controllers to make buying one worth it" for consumers. I'm not convinced that an official controller would solve this (unless it was like, a pack-in with the next iPad or something) so that's why I'm kind of skeptical despite the rumors
Yeah that's the thing. I would theoretically buy an iOS game controller, but there would need to be support for it out there.

But hell, I practically use my iPad as a laptop when I travel anyway, give me some FPS games and let me use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with them.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Are there any cheeky over the top action games? Something with tons of explosions and would make Quentin Tarantino proud.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Rokstar posted:

Yeah that's the thing. I would theoretically buy an iOS game controller, but there would need to be support for it out there.

But hell, I practically use my iPad as a laptop when I travel anyway, give me some FPS games and let me use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with them.

Gameloft has a controller sold in Apple stores but it only works with their games. Apple could help matters by implementing a standard controller support method so developers don't keep having to do it themselves from scratch.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
There's a jailbreak app that shows PSX buttons on your screen. You drag/resize them over the shity dual joystick or whatever config the game has and you can then use your Ps3 controller via Bluetooth to play it. Don't know the tweak but it's cool.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Fallom posted:

Gameloft has a controller sold in Apple stores but it only works with their games. Apple could help matters by implementing a standard controller support method so developers don't keep having to do it themselves from scratch.
They did it with Gamecenter, I can see them doing it with a hardware controller. If anything, putting in place a unified system that could be licensed out for other controller makers to use, too.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Christoff posted:

I have a hard time finding iphone games that keep my interest and I don't instantly delete. Can you guys just recommend some fun iphone games? Don't care if they cost a couple bucks.

Edge Extended

It's an isometric action puzzler with its own soundtrack and crisp visuals. The game isn't really long, but the entire experience is loving sweet. The last few levels are pretty big mind benders.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

There's a jailbreak app that shows PSX buttons on your screen. You drag/resize them over the shity dual joystick or whatever config the game has and you can then use your Ps3 controller via Bluetooth to play it. Don't know the tweak but it's cool.
Okay that's kind of amazing.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Edge is loving great. And you get to give a symbolic middle finger to Tim Langdell every time you start the app.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Goat Up 2 is really rad. It's the newest Jeff Minter game and probably his best for IOS. I wish there were a way to download people's levels, though. Maybe there is and I haven't figured out how?

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Is there a wiimote version of this? Not as cool, but still could be nice.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Christoff posted:

I have a hard time finding iphone games that keep my interest and I don't instantly delete. Can you guys just recommend some fun iphone games? Don't care if they cost a couple bucks.

What games you normally dig on?

Here has what has gotten me in the past:
Kingdom Rush (tower defense)
Puzzle Craft (Puzzle game similar to bejewel)
Tactics Warrior (Turn based tactics rpg)
Final Fantasy Tactics (Turn based tactics rpg)
Beastie Bay (Rpg and town building)- is Free
Block Fortress (tower defense mixed with minecraft)
Ascension (board game)
Rad Soldier (Think chess but with 4-8 pieces, with about 20 well balanced pieces to chose from)- Is free
Karate Girl (Silly arcade game)- Is free
Penny Arcade's on the rain-slick precipice of darkness 3 and Chulutu saves the world (turn base rpg)
Infinity Blade 2(Action Rpg)
Lost Wind 1 and 2 (action)
Arc Squardrion (Similar to star fox)

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

SuperHappy posted:

When I finally got the Trout for "Fire & Ice", I found out I spent the Bear on one of the other missions. I've spent the last three days trying to find another one :mad:

I got my trout right at the beginning of the game, and it behaves the same as all the other animals. So I get to watch groups of trout frolicking joyfully through my tiny forests.

e: Haha, there's a newsfeed story... "Utopia HQ welcomes new employees, while animal disappearances are on the rise. Utopia HQ states there is no cause for concern."

Another, "Researchers undertaking studies to ascertain why aquatic creatures flock to trees. Results inconclusive."

Corridor fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 1, 2013

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Well. Waking Mars was and amazing experience until I managed to lose all the plants in that water chamber that turned acidic land to fertile land and exasperated, went into the next chamber and dropped a stalactite on the only plant that makes floaty seed pods and so there's probably no way to get the full amount of biomass.

Also I didn't learn any of the names of things. I didn't realise that until right then.

Anyway, bought and downloaded The Room and have a 12 train journey tonight from the highlands of Sri Lanka to the capital Colombo so I know what I'll be doing. Which is playing it for twenty minutes and then eating all my snacks in a Cookie Monster style feeding frenzy that showers the world in ginger biscuit and maggi noodle crumbs and then stare out into the darkness for eleven and a half hours, haunted by my past.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Ahh, I've been restocking my current city before moving on to the new content. That would explain why I don't see any of that new crap yet. It takes so long to save up for more land now.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has anyone had a chance to check out Knights and Dragons? It seems like a standard castle builder with arena fighting but the game seems to focus around armor types. As you salvage old armor and upgrade to newer versions it changes the paper doll look which I think it pretty awesome.

If anyone would like to start playing feel free to add my Friend code. You can call on your friends list once a day to help with some quests.

Friend Code: XBB-RQB-CFX

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

jakewastaken posted:

Is there a wiimote version of this? Not as cool, but still could be nice.

Blutrol supports it. A little expensive though.

quote:

Supported Game Controllers

-Bluetooth Keyboard
-DuoGamer
-iCade
-iControlPad
-iMpulse
-PhoneJoy
-PS3 Sixpair/Dualshock 3
-Wii Remote (aka Wiimote)
-Zeemote JS1

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

lil mortimer posted:

Goat Up 2 is really rad. It's the newest Jeff Minter game and probably his best for IOS. I wish there were a way to download people's levels, though. Maybe there is and I haven't figured out how?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY9RyqpGSZk

It seems you have to share them directly with people. Why couldn't he have implemented a way to download the levels from the app? Hopefully Llamasoft updates the game with new levels at least. The level editor is really cool and so is the gameplay.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

"everyone agreed it was a good game." You're clearly confusing the SA SimCity thread with some other forum. Are you talking about the ex-SimCity 4 dev that posted in the thread a couple times like a month before release? As far as I know nobody from SimCity ever posted and that thread is almost nothing but people talking about how god awful the game is.

It was sarcasm. Since it's a Games forum tradition to have posters fall over game developers who post in SA threads.

edit: For the record I was in the beta for Nimble Quest, got the regular one and bought IAP, like I have for their other games since I like them. I just like observing posters behaviors. v :) v I even bought Jones on Fire IAP so don't probate me!

Necroneocon fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 1, 2013

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Trustworthy posted:

I think it's fairly deep and meaty for what it is. I certainly haven't played anything in iOS that's come anywhere close to scratching this particular itch. Here are some random bits and pieces...

:words:

Awesome write-up and I'm going to give it a try. Those kind of "the journey of building up to badass motherfucker is the fun of the game, then you are too powerful and get bored" games I really enjoy, even though obviously once I hit that point, I tend to quit too. Thanks!

Also posting to say I finally started playing Hunters 2 and it's a really solid tactical RPG. The story elements they added on top of the Hunters 1 formula actually work pretty well.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 1, 2013

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

eeenmachine posted:

:downswords:

END OF DISCUSSION

Yes, it is vital that you get the last word in your stupid loving derail.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Is this all there is.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

porktree posted:

Is this all there is.

Yes. Time to move on.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Good god, man, how many stamps and potions did you buy?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

porktree posted:

Is this all there is.

Content patch incoming.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Fairune. I got the second red gem, I'm level 7 and I have no idea what to do. I'm fairly certain I've investigated every object in the world and nothing reacts. What do I do? :(

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
The Curse just went free today. If you like lots of random puzzles, here's a game for you.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Bummey posted:

Fairune. I got the second red gem, I'm level 7 and I have no idea what to do. I'm fairly certain I've investigated every object in the world and nothing reacts. What do I do? :(

When you say the second red gem, you mean the one behind the hidden tree path? Or the one in the underground slime pit? One is to the west of the weird inaccessible tower, and one is to the east of it.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Bummey posted:

Good god, man, how many stamps and potions did you buy?
None - just clean living and careful breeding, it's a philosophy.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

When you say the second red gem, you mean the one behind the hidden tree path? Or the one in the underground slime pit? One is to the west of the weird inaccessible tower, and one is to the east of it.

The slime pit. E: I just got the hidden tree one west of the tower. E2: and I'm in lava world! Thanks.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 1, 2013

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Bummey posted:

The slime pit. E: I just got the hidden tree one west of the tower. E2: and I'm in lava world! Thanks.

It's a good bit later on, but let me know if you figure out how to get over to where those pitcher-plant enemies are. Because I cannot.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

It's a good bit later on, but let me know if you figure out how to get over to where those pitcher-plant enemies are. Because I cannot.

Have you found the lamp?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just got to the final boss. God drat it Fairune, this is bullshit.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I just got to the final boss. God drat it Fairune, this is bullshit.

If you don't know already, there is a shield booster I can tell you the location of.

If you go back to the lava area, head one space up from the healing area and walk behind the left side of the staircase there. If you're level 25 you might be able to kill the enemies, but otherwise just avoid them and go for the file that has the 'S' on it. This should halve the damage you take from the final boss

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Fairune chat:

I'm stuck trying to grab the air icon. I can get to the icon I just can't figure out where the Key for the door is.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

RedRupee posted:

If you don't know already, there is a shield booster I can tell you the location of.

If you go back to the lava area, head one space up from the healing area and walk behind the left side of the staircase there. If you're level 25 you might be able to kill the enemies, but otherwise just avoid them and go for the file that has the 'S' on it. This should halve the damage you take from the final boss
Got it thanks. But no, those guys insta-kill you even at max level.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Vadun posted:

Fairune chat:

I'm stuck trying to grab the air icon. I can get to the icon I just can't figure out where the Key for the door is.

Look for some pillars.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Can anyone give me a hand with renaming the wrestlers in Wrestling revolution? I can get some of the obvious ones like Stone Cold Steve Austin and the Undertaker but my wrestling knowledge isn't good enough to recognise some of them. Or else I see two characters who look similar to one wrestler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Apocron posted:

Can anyone give me a hand with renaming the wrestlers in Wrestling revolution? I can get some of the obvious ones like Stone Cold Steve Austin and the Undertaker but my wrestling knowledge isn't good enough to recognise some of them. Or else I see two characters who look similar to one wrestler.

Post pictures of ones you're not familiar with.

• Locked thread