Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bogart posted:

The iOS FFV is pretty fun, even if the controls and new sprites can be a little goofy. I just love looking at crazy-old-man-Galuf's Amano art.

But to be honest, I'd play FFV on an abacus if I could. Love that game. :3:

This time I'm making a party that can't use white, black, red, or blue magic. Healing is hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm assuming FFV will make it to Android eventually, right? What's the turnaround on something like that, usually?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
So with some sudden inspiration, Galuf's Necromancer concept:

Given Faris's Necromancer design has a slight resemblance to Emperor Mateus's FFOrigins render, and the skull mask Bartz wears, I took a lot of design inspiration from Hein's awesomely regal appearance, incorporating the Job's red/purple/black palette. This was pretty fun to do. :toot:

ed: And now sprites!

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 31, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Shaezerus posted:

Given Faris's Necromancer design has a slight resemblance to Emperor Mateus's FFOrigins render, and the skull mask Bartz wears, I took a lot of design inspiration from Hein's awesomely regal appearance, incorporating the Job's red/purple/black palette. This was pretty fun to do. :toot:

ed: And now sprites!

That is sweet as gently caress!

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Levantine posted:

I'm assuming FFV will make it to Android eventually, right? What's the turnaround on something like that, usually?

Still waiting on that War of the Lions release... and IV... and TWEWY... and... :sigh:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Shaezerus posted:

God drat, I wish you had done the art for the new FFV remake.

Speaking of which, FFIV: The After Years had its art revamped to the Anniversary style for its PSP release. I hope that's the case for V as well, and that it's released on some non-mobile platforms.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Oracle Galuf is boring because Oracle is boring and I don't really have anything to say about it. It's practically a straight copy of Bartz's design; there isn't much to play around with aside from the headband. :geno:

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 1, 2013

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Got FFV iOS, started a Four Job Fiesta run on a whim, and goddamn if it isn't fun as hell. The restrictions really make you sink your teeth into the mechanics of the game. I had no idea that Death Claw worked on Byblos.

Spread so far is Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, and soon Bard. Healing is a problem.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ProfessorProf posted:

On the bright side, you're on track to have a badass endgame party if you can do a little manipulation to pick up Blue Magics like Mighty Guard and White Wind. Any of the earth crystal jobs will be an asset to that team, too.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Zombies' Downfall posted:

On the bright side, you're on track to have a badass endgame party if you can do a little manipulation to pick up Blue Magics like Mighty Guard and White Wind. Any of the earth crystal jobs will be an asset to that team, too.

How can I get the defensive Blue Magics, though? I already passed up Beastmaster, so I can't manipulate the enemy into using it on me.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

ProfessorProf posted:

How can I get the defensive Blue Magics, though? I already passed up Beastmaster, so I can't manipulate the enemy into using it on me.

Dancing Dagger has a chance of using Tempting Tango when you attack, but that's not until Moogles.

e: Wait, Bard? Bard has all the confusion you'll ever need. Bard owns, Confuse and Stop EVERYTHING (robots in particular get wrecked by Stop). White Wind will be easy as pie (those Ring things in the Ronkan Ruins use it constantly), Mighty Guard not so much.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 1, 2013

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
You can use the Wonder Rod to cast the White Magic version of Confuse too. You don't get one until Fork Tower, but you can use it to confuse a Stingray. That's how I got it using the normal White Mage version of the spell in my Hard Mode game last year.

EDIT: VVV don't play FF2 Famicom, if you must play it at all play like any other version (I think the PSP is prolly best? but you can get it on like any mobile device imaginable and some you probably didn't know existed); the stat gain rates and poo poo are lower in the original than any other copy and it's tedious in the more modern ones

Baku fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 1, 2013

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
Dang, that sprite work is nice!

I started FF2 for Famicom for the first time, and... this stat system is really tedious. Like, I understand the tricks on how to pump up your stats, but...does it ever get not boring? Should I just stick the grind out in the early game so I can coast through the rest? Right now the problem seems to be getting my max MP up. I do know the 'beat yourself up' trick and the select-cancel trick, it's just really slow-going.
Are the GBA or PS versions any less tedious? I guess I sort of appreciate what they were trying to do but it feels like such a misstep.

As for Dissidia duodecim chat, get duodecim, never get the original. It improves on the first one in a ton of ways, and is basically just the old game + some new content. There is tons to do. I actually just cleared the main story the other day (but there is so much other stuff to do). You can sort of play it straight like I do or do some seriously insane min/maxing. It's a hefty rush of nostalgia in a lot of ways, and it's a lot of fun.
(Although I am finding the PP grind a little taxing... just wanna unlock some costumes, dangit)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zombies' Downfall posted:

You can use the Wonder Rod to cast the White Magic version of Confuse too. You don't get one until Fork Tower, but you can use it to confuse a Stingray. That's how I got it using the normal White Mage version of the spell in my Hard Mode game last year.

And worst come to absolute worst, you can use Reflect to bounce it off of Azulmagia. You'll have to hope it hits someone with Learning, though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What's everyone's endgame parties for dimensions? I just got the airship and magic seems so strong this game I'm thinking of rolling with 3 magic users. Though for the fighters, is it me or are th darkness warriors set up with better fighter classes? Paladin is a good class but ninja/ranger/dark knight seems too good in the endgame.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What's everyone's endgame parties for dimensions? I just got the airship and magic seems so strong this game I'm thinking of rolling with 3 magic users. Though for the fighters, is it me or are th darkness warriors set up with better fighter classes? Paladin is a good class but ninja/ranger/dark knight seems too good in the endgame.

Dark Warriors have the best damage output (Meteor/Phantom Rush/Spreadshot/Giga Flare), Light Warriors are more support-geared (Mighty Wall/Alabaster Veil/Full Cure/Hastega).

My final party as of roll-credits was Sol and Aigis as Paladins, Nacht as a Ninja with !Dark Blade, Seer Dusk and Dualcast-Magus Alba. Postgame, Sol and Aigis have been Dragoons and Nacht took up !Aim.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 1, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Elec posted:

As for Dissidia duodecim chat, get duodecim, never get the original. It improves on the first one in a ton of ways, and is basically just the old game + some new content. There is tons to do. I actually just cleared the main story the other day (but there is so much other stuff to do). You can sort of play it straight like I do or do some seriously insane min/maxing. It's a hefty rush of nostalgia in a lot of ways, and it's a lot of fun.
(Although I am finding the PP grind a little taxing... just wanna unlock some costumes, dangit)

You're changing your PSP/Vita's date right? If you level all the calendar stuff you get a lot of extra Gil, PP, Exp on the day you choose.

ProfessorProf posted:

Got FFV iOS, started a Four Job Fiesta run on a whim, and goddamn if it isn't fun as hell. The restrictions really make you sink your teeth into the mechanics of the game. I had no idea that Death Claw worked on Byblos.

People went over it but White Wind is an amazing healing spell and your bard can get it for you with confuse once it's available. Make sure to look up the bard songs and how you get them, some of the more useful ones are easy to miss.

It still depends on what your 4th job is but Blue Magic and Sing are both abilities that are great subabilities for any class in the game. You might have a problem with just doing enough damage to certain monsters eventually.

I'm waiting for a four job fiesta myself, I always start them and stop halfway through (White Mage/Berserker first two jobs gently caress offfff) but if it's on my phone I have no excuse :v:

Also the iOS version has made me really reliant on auto-battle. Like I struggle changing commands mid-battle because I'm so used to walking through them. Feels like I'm playing Half Minute Hero almost.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 1, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You're changing your PSP/Vita's date right? If you level all the calendar stuff you get a lot of extra Gil, PP, Exp on the day you choose.

Wait the game won't punish you for that?
I've been playing it wrong this whole time. :negative:

Elec
Feb 25, 2007

Can I just change the special day to whatever day it happens to be? I guess I should try for myself when I boot it up again.
Making your own special rules (EX cores appear every second, 1000% EX/bravery/damage whatever) and fighting low level dummies in 1v1 battle mode is a nice way to farm especially AP and PP on good days. (As well as practice the more 'complicated' EX bursts)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Elec posted:

Can I just change the special day to whatever day it happens to be? I guess I should try for myself when I boot it up again.
Making your own special rules (EX cores appear every second, 1000% EX/bravery/damage whatever) and fighting low level dummies in 1v1 battle mode is a nice way to farm especially AP and PP on good days. (As well as practice the more 'complicated' EX bursts)

No, if you change the special day you have to wait until next week. If you change the date it has no way of knowing.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Wait the game won't punish you for that?
I've been playing it wrong this whole time. :negative:

The game doesn't know since it's a system level thing. I dunno if this will have weird side effects on your actual system though :v:

Oh also to get back on FFV Chat:

I've been using jobs that I normally completely skip over, usually I only level jobs if they will fit into a late-game build so I spend most of the game in stuff like Ranger, Monk, Ninja, Mystic Knight so that I can do 8hit spellblades.

Beastmaster: If you get the Blitz Whip as soon as it is available and give it to this guy with Barehanded (STR bonus) he actually deals a nice amount of damage from the back row. Catch is pretty much useless early game since it's impossible to get something to 1/8HP. Usually I'd get a couple of characters Control and switch out right away. Better at back row physical damage than a Ranger at this point. I think I might try giving a stronger job Equip Whips and seeing how that works out. The guides say it actually gives amazing stat boosts? Is that a typo?

Thief: If you start a character as a Monk and quickly switch them to Thief once you get barehand they're actually pretty good. Fast and hit hard. Barehanded kind of breaks the early game honestly. If you give him a throwing weapon you can keep him in the back but there is a while between those. If I had this guy first on a FJF I'd probably be completely screwed, he's really bad without some sort of stat boost secondary ability.

Berserker: I got a Death Scythe by luck so thought sure, let me try it out on Faris who already had Two-Handed. Holy poo poo this does so much damage early on. 1200 per hit when the typical job does 400-600. I can see how useless it would get later on but right now it is my best job.

Ninja/Summoner: I always end up using Ninjas and Summoners seperately, I never did the thing where you give a Ninja Summon or a Summoner Throw so that the scrolls do more damage. It's really, really good although you have to spend a lot of time grinding lightning scrolls on the ocean. When she's a Ninja she gets good physical and magic attacks, when she's a Summoner she gets insane magic damage for free.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Dusk: Seer, Doublecast, Mind +20%, HP +20% (Relevant F-As: Hastega)
Nacht: Ninja, Dark Blade, Backliner, Throw (Relevant F-As: Phantom Rush)
Aigis: Paladin, Doublehand, Strength +20%, Damage > HP (Relevant F-As: Mighty Wall)
Glaive: Ninja, Dark Blade, Alchemy, Backliner (Relevant F-As: Midareyuki)
Diana: Ranger, Treasure Finder, Vigilance, Speed +10%

I eventually need to get Strength +20% for both Ninja, but that's post-game grinding and I'm letting the game sit for a bit before I tackle the postgame.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Ahh, Dissidia Duodecim. God, that game is so much fun, even if I'm not that good at it. :smith:

For AP farming, I just set the Level to Minimal and equip things like the Beckoning Cat and Diamond equipment.

Also, I'm not the only one that cheesed Lv. 130 Feral Chaos with the Smiting Soul thing, right? :shobon:

On FF5 chat, I just mastered the classes with skills and stats I wanted, beat the game with Freelancers, then messed around a bit.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Booky posted:

Ahh, Dissidia Duodecim. God, that game is so much fun, even if I'm not that good at it. :smith:

For AP farming, I just set the Level to Minimal and equip things like the Beckoning Cat and Diamond equipment.

Also, I'm not the only one that cheesed Lv. 130 Feral Chaos with the Smiting Soul thing, right? :shobon:

On FF5 chat, I just mastered the classes with skills and stats I wanted, beat the game with Freelancers, then messed around a bit.

Nope. I built a party of 5 level 1 smite-equipped characters, got halfway through his health with a couple of people. Kain's turn comes up, I start spamming jump and the battle is over in under a minute. I regret nothing.I felt like the smiting soul setup was necessary to finish the last dungeon in any sane sort of time. I love the battle system but the balance seems weird, if the difference is, say 130 defense vs 170 attack, you get murdered. You can safely abuse bonus days. I leveled every character up to 100 by playing through the storyline with the PSP on the bonus day constantly.
I love the Emperor's evil David Bowie impersonation.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Nope. I built a party of 5 level 1 smite-equipped characters, got halfway through his health with a couple of people. Kain's turn comes up, I start spamming jump and the battle is over in under a minute. I regret nothing.I felt like the smiting soul setup was necessary to finish the last dungeon in any sane sort of time. I love the battle system but the balance seems weird, if the difference is, say 130 defense vs 170 attack, you get murdered. You can safely abuse bonus days. I leveled every character up to 100 by playing through the storyline with the PSP on the bonus day constantly.
I love the Emperor's evil David Bowie impersonation.

Yeah my least favorite thing about Dissidia is the balance can be completely hosed. Like you can be cruising through enemies, killing them in one break >HP combo. You see a slightly higher level guy and think sure, no problem. Suddenly you're doing 4 Brave damage to him per hit and he dodges everything

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Yeah my least favorite thing about Dissidia is the balance can be completely hosed. Like you can be cruising through enemies, killing them in one break >HP combo. You see a slightly higher level guy and think sure, no problem. Suddenly you're doing 4 Brave damage to him per hit and he dodges everything

Yeah, now that I think about it, it's really weird. Like, I could be Lv. 55 and an enemy be Lv. 61, and suddenly my Bravery damage sinks like a rock. :psyduck:

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Finishing up IX right now. Not going to bother fighting Ozma. The endgame is still ridiculously easy having only really done the Chocograph sidequest to completion. I mean, Curaga is fully healing characters with 4000+ HP even when cast on the whole party and it costs 11mp in battle with the Half MP skill (I've also done zero intentional grinding).

That being said I still really, really enjoyed it. First time I've ever played it through to the finish.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
So, I want an honest answer here. It's been almost a decade since I picked up a legitimate FF game and I've been wanting to come back in and try something out since I just played Theatrhythm.

What I'm trying to say is that is XIII worth trying out? All bullshit and fanboyism aside, I want to know if it stands as its own game worth trying or not. I've heard a lot of back and forth about this title and I've been meaning to make my own opinion on it, but since I've noticed the goons around the Games forums have good taste, why not?

I just want honest opinions here. What's good about it? What's bad about it? Is XIII-2 better and worth going through the first? Or is it a complete waste of my time?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Proto Cloud posted:

So, I want an honest answer here. It's been almost a decade since I picked up a legitimate FF game and I've been wanting to come back in and try something out since I just played Theatrhythm.

What I'm trying to say is that is XIII worth trying out? All bullshit and fanboyism aside, I want to know if it stands as its own game worth trying or not. I've heard a lot of back and forth about this title and I've been meaning to make my own opinion on it, but since I've noticed the goons around the Games forums have good taste, why not?

I just want honest opinions here. What's good about it? What's bad about it? Is XIII-2 better and worth going through the first? Or is it a complete waste of my time?

13 has a 20 hour tutorial before it let's you loose. The story is stupid, the characters are stupid, but there are som neat scenes. The fighting has less to do with micro management and more with switching fighting paradigms at the right moment. I quite liked the fights but you literally don't do anything but fighting and running around so there's a big risk that you burn out.

The music is great. The VAs do what they can with the lacklustre script. The game never reaches Star Ocean levels of awfulness so there's no harm in trying it out. You can get it for almost nothing anyways.

I would stay the hell away from the sequel though. The story is worse and even if there's more to do NONE of it is any fun at all. They talked up the time traveling aspect but that just means you have to run through the same areas three or four times with different graphical filters thrown up. The only decent characters from 13 are thrown aside and barely show up at all. Just buy the neat soundtrack instead.

Edit: Adding to the shittyness of the sequel, the game looks worse and has lots of slowdown. It also has a Golden Saucer-like area, but most of the mini games are paid DLC. In-game they keep telling you the new attractions will open soon but they won't unless you pay for them. Yeah.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 1, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Proto Cloud posted:

Basically:

FFXIII has a good battle system that is hindered by taking too long to get going. It is extremely linear and features no sidequests or deviation until the last fourth of the game. The plot is pretty poo poo. The battle system is the strongest point and stands up really well (by FF standards) once it gets going.

FFXIII-2 is almost its polar opposite. It's far less linear and has a ton of sidequests, but fucks up the balance on the combat system so that most redeeming features are lost. The plot is somehow even more poo poo. It basically is Square-Enix going "wait, poo poo, people hated (x) about FFXIII! Do the opposite" and improving some areas which screwing up what they got right the first time.

Basically: FFXIII is worth playing if you want a light but good combat system and shiny visuals, and don't care about linearity or a dumb story.

FFXIII-2 is better if you want to have more freedom and don't mind the combat system going kind of lovely, and also don't care about a really dumb story.

I'd give FFXIII a shot first because if you find FFXIII intolerable for any reason beyond linearity, FFXIII-2 ain't gonna appeal to you.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 1, 2013

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Proto Cloud posted:

You're going to get a lot of polarized opinions.

FF13 is a JRPG without any of the fluff - no minigames, no towns, no talking to random NPC of nondescript house in some town to unlock the super secret sidequest for your ultimate weapon. If you like savescumming rare spawns for superrare drops, or smacking illusory walls at dead ends in dungeons to find hidden chests then you will hate FF13.

If you like:
fast paced rewarding battle system
good music

and don't mind
linearity
anime voice acting
poo poo characterization & story (even for an FF)

then FF13 will be perfect for you. IMO it's the best battle system in the series by a huge margin so there's that to consider. You won't like the battle system if you like mashing attack and potion though.

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 1, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Proto Cloud posted:

It's a complete waste of your time. I'm sure there's a Final Fantasy game in the catalog you've never finished or tried. Even if it's FF2, you'll enjoy it a lot more than XIII.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Proto Cloud posted:

XIII
Good:
Combat - it's fast, and I found it pretty fun.
Visuals - it's bright, vibrant and colourful for the most part.
Setting is interesting, though never really taken advantage of.
VA is pretty okay.

Bad:
The pacing of the story, unlocking of combat abilities, etc.
Excessive linearity - all the areas outside of one, are just corridors, no towns, sidequests or NPC interaction, just a straight line with preset battles.
Antagonists are completely forgettable.

XIII-2 gets rid of some of the issues with XIII's battle system, opens up the areas and encourages the player to explore poo poo. Lots of sidequests, etc. The bad of XIII-2 is the godawful story (even by the usual JRPG standards), and the lack of balance (which kinda wrecks the battle system somewhat).

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Renoistic posted:

13 has a 20 hour tutorial before it let's you loose. The story is stupid, the characters are stupid, but there are som neat scenes. The fighting has less to do with micro management and more with switching fighting paradigms at the right moment. I quite liked the fights but you literally don't do anything but fighting and running around so there's a big risk that you burn out.

The music is great. The VAs do what they can with the lacklustre script. The game never reaches Star Ocean levels of awfulness so there's no harm in trying it out. You can get it for almost nothing anyways.

I would stay the hell away from the sequel though. The story is worse and even if there's more to do NONE of it is any fun at all. They talked up the time traveling aspect but that just means you have to run through the same areas three or four times with different graphical filters thrown up. The only decent characters from 13 are thrown aside and barely show up at all. Just buy the neat soundtrack instead.

Pretty much exactly this. What XIII did was remove all the extraneous elements of RPGs, from sidequests to towns and NPCs. It's almost impossible to not make progress, since it's always obvious where to go, and losing an encounter will simply place you back to where you were before it. It's almost relaxing, since you never need to worry about anything outside of battle.

XIII-2 undoes all of this because it reintroduces every bullshit JRPG thing you can think of, from ridiculous outfits, annoying teenage main characters, backtracking, random encounters, terrible plot, and poorly utilised time travel. It has the same battle system, but the great thing about it in the first game was that it had so much control over your progress and levelling, that it had a very finely tuned difficulty curve. Most encounters in XIII-2 can be beaten in seconds, without even touching the paradigm shift button.

Play XIII if you have some time to kill, it's pretty, sounds nice and has a fun battle system. However, it has so few game elements outside of battling that it's almost half a game. XIII-2 fills in the gaps with the most obnoxious, infuriating garbage I've ever encountered in a video game.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Finally getting around to playing Tactics. Great game. I haven't cared about a FF story in a long time but this one sucked me in.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF13, huh.

My Personal Cons (though some of these may be Pros for you):

* Incredibly linear, in the sense that it makes FF10 look like an Elder Scrolls game. You're literally going from A to B, with an occasional side branch to a treasure or whatever.
* There's no real towns to explore or mini-games to break up the core gameplay. You're either watching a cutscene or going through a "dungeon" fighting enemies.
* A lot of details concerning the story are hidden in the game's encyclopedia, so if you're not keeping up with it it's easy to miss a few things that would clear things up.
* It takes way too long to actually be able to customize much, as a huge portion of the game has you switching between two-person parties who only have three jobs each, while you're limited to how powerful you can get by your position in the story.
* The first two-thirds of the game stretch on too long in general. The game would've been much better paced if they cut a couple of the chapters with no real plot development.
* The individual antagonists are incredibly bland, though the group you're generally against are an interesting concept. Really, almost all the characters besides the playable ones and maybe Serah are pretty dull.

My Personal Pros (again, may be Cons for you):

* Because the game is so linear and limits your strength for most of the game, the difficulty level is very fair. Even random encounters can be challenging, but in a good way since you restart right before that enemy.
* The battle system's pretty clever, especially later in the game when everything's opened up, playing itself in a way while still requiring lots of interaction through Paradigm Shifts. A lot of strategy comes down to picking the right party make-up and the best time to change paradigms.
* There's actually a good deal of world-building, and not just in the in-game encyclopedia. The various cutscenes do a great job establishing the world of the game and making one of the more memorable settings of the series.
* Solid character development. You may find some of the characters annoying, but they do a solid job building their motivations and justifying the things they do. There's even a few bits of decent interaction between the characters in a series where half the time the party members seem to only tolerate each other.
* And of course, it's a gorgeous game with all sorts of fantastic landscapes and settings.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of the game just because it drags on so long before you can really have fun with it, but it's not a horrible game by any means. It's a decent story, not stellar but not horrible, with a solid cast of playable characters who can actually be interesting. There's not a ton of depth in the battle system, but it's a lot more dynamic than previous games and makes random encounters and bosses alike more interesting at times, but it just takes a long time to really get to the meat of the game (I'm talking 20-something hours here).

It really depends on what you like in a game whether you like 13.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Douche Bag posted:

Finally getting around to playing Tactics. Great game. I haven't cared about a FF story in a long time but this one sucked me in.

Consider FFXII if you haven't then, they're pretty similar in the political intrigue->magical god poo poo transition. Plus they're theoretically the same world even if there is so little overlap its almost fraud to say they're connected.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's a complete waste of your time. I'm sure there's a Final Fantasy game in the catalog you've never finished or tried. Even if it's FF2, you'll enjoy it a lot more than XIII.

Man... FF2 was bad. FF3 DS is not great either.

If you have a lot of free time and are curious I would play through FF13 over those. At least it's very pretty and has nice music, even if the gameplay is hold up > battle time.

For some reason the people I know who rushed through the game (like, beat it in a week or so) liked it much better than the people that spread it out over a month or longer.

It's a summer vacation sort of game. I played it while I was between jobs and had nothing to do :v:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Mega64 posted:

FF13, huh.

* There's actually a good deal of world-building, and not just in the in-game encyclopedia. The various cutscenes do a great job establishing the world of the game and making one of the more memorable settings of the series.
* Solid character development. You may find some of the characters annoying, but they do a solid job building their motivations and justifying the things they do. There's even a few bits of decent interaction between the characters in a series where half the time the party members seem to only tolerate each other.
* And of course, it's a gorgeous game with all sorts of fantastic landscapes and settings.

I forgot to mention this myself, but these are all good points. The world itself is pretty interesting I thought it was refreshing with an RPG where most of the PCs either dislike or outright loathe each other.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Barudak posted:

Consider FFXII if you haven't then, they're pretty similar in the political intrigue->magical god poo poo transition. Plus they're theoretically the same world even if there is so little overlap its almost fraud to say they're connected.

They're both incredibly Matsuno, even though Matsuno left during FFXII development. If you like the whole political intrigue angle of FFT, you'll likely enjoy XII, Tactics' little brothers Tactics Advance/2 and its spiritual predecessor, Tactics Ogre and it's also loosely linked friend Vagrant Story.

The link between XII and Tactics is pretty weak, Tactics is supposedly set way into XII's future where technology crashed and all non humans seem to have been purged, but the Zodiacs and the Espers are meant to be named the same, even if they're not actually related. Tactics just has a rather bad translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Maybe the Hallway-ness of 13 didn't bother me so much because I thought of it more like a gauntlet of battles (kinda like what you get in a beat 'em up) than actual dungeons/locations to explore. Fits the game's biggest strong suit after all (battle system and balance).

EDIT:

Aurain posted:

The link between XII and Tactics is pretty weak, Tactics is supposedly set way into XII's future where technology crashed and all non humans seem to have been purged, but the Zodiacs and the Espers are meant to be named the same, even if they're not actually related. Tactics just has a rather bad translation.

If you have a PSP, hack it and play War of the Lions with the Slowdown fix patch instead of the PS1 version. Otherwise, play the PS1 version with the FFT Complete patch. There's no reason you should ever experience the PS1 versions awful translation.

Head Hit Keyboard fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 1, 2013