Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Zeta 2.0 is alright but you really need to be precise and patient with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

muike posted:

Has anyone here put together any of the Bandai 1/20th VOTOMS kits? I was wondering if there were any tips for this silly bolt business before I start on it.

Use the little plastic wrench that comes with it. It does help some. But I believe they give you more screws than you need so unless you're building the Metal Spec version, you should be fine if you lose a couple.

Just be careful with the chest assembly. Some pieces need to be fitted just right, especially where the chest/head plate meets the underlying hinge piece. Oh, and I'd recommend placing the bottom of the seat in first by itself, THEN assembling the backrest in place. They have you trying to fit the whole chair in the cockpit cage at once, and if you try to force it, you will stress the plastic.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 1, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How do the bolts go in? Just with friction? I'm just worried that they're not going to stay in.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I don't really like the Zeta 2.0, the legs have fairly lovely posability, the beam rifle is a loving pile of poo poo and the wing connectors are prone to snapping. I occasionally transform mine when I'm bored but there's very little you can do with it in the way of interesting poses.

EDIT: also getting it to hold the HML takes about 5 hours

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

Popehoist posted:

I don't really like the Zeta 2.0, the legs have fairly lovely posability, the beam rifle is a loving pile of poo poo and the wing connectors are prone to snapping. I occasionally transform mine when I'm bored but there's very little you can do with it in the way of interesting poses.

EDIT: also getting it to hold the HML takes about 5 hours

I have my 2.0 up on its action base and it's in a really fun pose. I'll put a picture up later but I've never had any problems with posability or sturdiness.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

muike posted:

How do the bolts go in? Just with friction? I'm just worried that they're not going to stay in.

They're pretty tight actually. Don't need to worry about them falling out.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Thanks for the tips. :)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm just posting to whine about the mg unicorn and how assembling it after painting the pyschoframe green is god drat nightmare. I've had to repaint the upper leg pyschoframe twice already, as everything is so easy to scratch, even with a topcoat. So glad I'm almost done this kit.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 1, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Any reason why you didn't just get the Full Armor?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

three reasons really

1) I'm cheap.
2) I don't like how the FA unicorn looks- it has too much crap just plastered on it.
3) I paint all my kits anyway.

But yeah, this seems like a kit that was never intended for painting.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
All the extra stuff on FA Unicorn just slots into holes or clips onto parts that are present on the normal MG Unicorn. You can strip it down and have it just be the basic unicorn unit.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ignimbrite posted:

All the extra stuff on FA Unicorn just slots into holes or clips onto parts that are present on the normal MG Unicorn. You can strip it down and have it just be the basic unicorn unit.

He's also cheap like he stated above.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'd rather get the MG Unicorn with the big fancy cage/hangar accessory, I think I'd get a lot more out of that than a billion weapons tacked all over the unicorn. Can you buy those MS cages seperately? I think they made one for HG scale but I'm not sure if an MG one ever came out on its own.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Doesn't that come with the OVA version Unicorn? I don't know if you can buy that specific one separately, but Bandai and Kotobukiya have made 1/100 and non-scale hangar kits.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

muike posted:

Thanks for the tips. :)

No problem. The Bandai 1/20 Scopedog is one of my all-time favorite kits. So much so that I have two different versions of it. The Red Shoulder Custom is the bomb with all of its accessories, but the Metal Spec with the actual metal bolts and plates is amazing as well.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I was interested in the metal spec version a few years ago but it was before I had seen VOTOMS, so I wasn't too driven to get it. I almost got the Red Shoulder Custom instead of the normal Scopedog, but I figured I'd try out the cheaper kit to see how I liked it first. I'll probably get it and the Fatty at some point. If only they'd release a Turbo Custom :(

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

So now that Yamato has gone bankrupt, I'm naturally kicking myself for not grabbing one of their 1/3000 SDF-1 figures. Anyone know where I'd be able to grab one for less than ridiculous EBay prices?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

The Goon posted:

So now that Yamato has gone bankrupt, I'm naturally kicking myself for not grabbing one of their 1/3000 SDF-1 figures. Anyone know where I'd be able to grab one for less than ridiculous EBay prices?

Man, I hate to hear that. While they weren't perfect, Yamato still put out some incredibly well-engineered toys over the years. Personally, I'm kicking myself over never getting a 1/12 Scopedog or 1/24 Ingram which also now go for exorbitant eBay prices. Glad I managed to at least snag the VF-19S while I could.

I'd recommend snapping up a newer Perfect Trance VF-1 release before they become scarce. I love that mold so much.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I took some great photos of my recently completed Armored Core models and I keep forgetting they're on the memory card of my DSLR and not my iPhone.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Mecha Gojira posted:

Man, I hate to hear that. While they weren't perfect, Yamato still put out some incredibly well-engineered toys over the years. Personally, I'm kicking myself over never getting a 1/12 Scopedog or 1/24 Ingram which also now go for exorbitant eBay prices. Glad I managed to at least snag the VF-19S while I could.

I'd recommend snapping up a newer Perfect Trance VF-1 release before they become scarce. I love that mold so much.

AmiAmi still has some of the 1/12 VOTOMS units, I'd snag them up ASAP if you've got the cash.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Good news, the Alex I got from Fauxtool (my first Gunpla) came in today and was in great condition! Thanks, Fauxtool!

Bad news, holy poo poo these are like Legos for assholes. A tiny piece snapped in two when I tried to pop it out of the piece-holder thing while I was only like 5 steps in, am I completely boned or can I just go on and have a slightly less structurally sound Gundam?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

WickedIcon posted:

Good news, the Alex I got from Fauxtool (my first Gunpla) came in today and was in great condition! Thanks, Fauxtool!

Bad news, holy poo poo these are like Legos for assholes. A tiny piece snapped in two when I tried to pop it out of the piece-holder thing while I was only like 5 steps in, am I completely boned or can I just go on and have a slightly less structurally sound Gundam?

Wait, pop it out? Are you trying to pull the parts out with your hands?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I was just popping them out of the frame thing with my thumb and it worked fine until that piece snapped. :negative: To be perfectly honest I have literally no experience with model building whatsoever and this is my first stab at anything related to it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

I was just popping them out of the frame thing with my thumb and it worked fine until that piece snapped. :negative: To be perfectly honest I have literally no experience with model building whatsoever and this is my first stab at anything related to it

Oh man yeah. You will want something like this for removing parts from sprues:

http://www.amazon.com/Testor-Corp-Sprue-Cutters-8940/dp/B0006NDZG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365034356&sr=8-1&keywords=testors+hobby+cutters

Michaels or another hobby store that sells plastic models will probably have them in stock for a comparable price.

You'll also want a straight bladed knife to trim the nubs down after you clip them out:
http://www.amazon.com/X-Acto-No-Rol...&keywords=xacto

No roll is good so it doesn't roll off the table when you put it down. Also available at hobby stores.

Also do yourself a favor and use clear cement:
http://www.amazon.com/Testors-Liqui...+plastic+cemebt

NOT the goop in a tube:
http://www.amazon.com/Testor-Corp-3...+plastic+cemebt

Seriously the tube stuff sucks. Both these will be available where models are sold.

You're probably not SOL; get some cement, place the broken pieces where they should go and then glue the part back together in place with the other parts. You can use superglue for this if needed - ordinarily not good for plastic modeling but can be good for repairs.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

WickedIcon posted:

Oh Jesus, you're doing everything wrong. You're not supposed to use your thumb. You need a sharp hobby knife and a pair of hobby cutters to properly take the pieces out of the trees.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mEWdotDO_Y

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

WickedIcon posted:

I was just popping them out of the frame thing with my thumb

Oh god reading that made me shrink into a cringing mess.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Daaamn. Okay yeah I'm just gonna shelve this thing until I can afford proper modeling supplies, I was looking at it as like the Japanese equivalent of Legos or something and not like, Super Serious models.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

WickedIcon posted:

Daaamn. Okay yeah I'm just gonna shelve this thing until I can afford proper modeling supplies, I was looking at it as like the Japanese equivalent of Legos or something and not like, Super Serious models.

Gunpla model kits aren't even that super serious when you consider the alternatives. Your kit is quite old, but even the Alex comes with all the required colors to avoid needing to paint it to be anime-accurate, and nothing requires glue and is all snap-fit.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, I knew that, I should probably rephrase that I thought it was more like an action figure that required some assembly than an actual proper model kit. Honestly, even seeing the trees kinda threw me off a little.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

ActionZero posted:

This times a million.

In a similar vein to glue, I switched from Squadron's white putty to Tamiya's white and dear god, it's like day and night. Why haven't I been using this from the beginning? Something to note though is that even though it is lacquer based it does not play nice with Tamiya's primer.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

Yeah, I knew that, I should probably rephrase that I thought it was more like an action figure that required some assembly than an actual proper model kit. Honestly, even seeing the trees kinda threw me off a little.

If you find some of the Speed Grade or First Grade models, they are intended for kids to build and play with them and you can poke them out no problem. But they only made a few of those and there are like 10 parts to them, so it's not a very satisfying experience.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ActionZero posted:

To be fair, I've taken to doing that a lot of late with really delicate parts (on 1/72 tanks and the like), because for some reason they break easy when I use a blade or cutters but my thumbnail sloooowly seperates them fine.

:iiam:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm dyin. If you want something you can just pop out with your thumbs and is also not for babbies, try the 1/48 mega scale RX-78(it's expensive)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sprue-cutters cost $15 so I said forget that. I went to the dollar store near me and picked up these scissor-style nail clippers, and a thin exacto knife (plus replacement blades, you want them perfectly sharp at all times). I haven't needed anything else so far. I use the clippers to cut the piece off the tree with a fair bit of plastic nub left over, then do a few passes with the exacto knife cutting off a bit of the nub each time until the surface is smooth. I'm not perfect just yet but every time I cut a piece I get a cleaner result than the last.

Another DIY trick I'm really loving is when I'm wearing jeans I'll rub the area I just cut off with the exacto knife on my leg using the demin as a cheapo emery cloth. If you've got a flat-backed phone like an iPhone 4, put that in your pocket and use it as a flat surface for rubbing. Obviously don't use those jeans you just got and are super dark, white parts could take on a bit of the dye in the denim.

EDIT: DAMMIT!! I just got an email saying I've won an MG 1/100Astray Red Frame Revised in a contest I entered. All they want is a picture of the entry card I used to enter the contest. I threw it out a week ago assuming the contest was long over and I had lost... This sucks, I replied to them as asked if a copy of the original UPC from the box would do, because for some loving reason I saved THAT, but not the contest cards. I'm not holding my breath. I feel like such a dumbass.

Also wouldn't you know it, as soon as I won it in a contest I can pick out all the little details that make it different from the other Gundams...

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 4, 2013

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
:psyduck: I've got 4 pairs of sprue side cutters including those heavy tweezers from Micro-Mark and some nice Tamiya ones, they're like my most important tools for gunpla along with my blades, files, and airbrush. Maybe it's just me but I feel like good tools facilitate good work, and I'd gladly drop cash for good tools instead of another random HG kit and especially if I was considering building a nice MG or PG.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I just use an X-acto knife and go to town. I probably don't get the best quality, but I like keeping things simple.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please tell me there's a scene in that crappy Gunpla Builders anime where someone hand-snaps parts off the sprue and someone does an anime double-take.

I know that happened occasionally in Sgt. Frog. If there's a gif of anything like that, someone please post it.

I always hand-snap poo poo that's not going to be visible anyways.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I think what WickedIcon wants is a Robot Damashii to be honest.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
I've used nail clippers for the longest time till I realized there were sprue cutters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Popehoist posted:

I think what WickedIcon wants is a Robot Damashii to be honest.

Maybe, but those are just straight up action figures. I was under the impression he wanted to put some work into actually assembling a kit.

• Locked thread