Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rincewind posted:

I'm kind of confused about how she was proven right when the whole theme of Mass Effect 3 was that everyone in the galaxy had to cooperate instead of looking out for number one.

Shepard has to literally solve all the issues in the galaxy first, then they helped earth. I mean it should be mentioned Shepards plan was dumb, but that is not why they balked.

Though that whole racist angle is kind of solved by the end of the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Doesn't apply to the turians, though. Their planet was in the process of getting conquered at the same time, and they also wanted to cooperate right at the start.

I always liked the story element that had the only two Council races that ever fought a war against each other were also the two that were the most culturally similar to each other and who arguably became the closest allies (even before ME3, there were all those news stories about human/turian military cooperation; and of course, the Normandy).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lycus posted:

Doesn't apply to the turians, though. Their planet was in the process of getting conquered at the same time, and they also wanted to cooperate right at the start.

I always liked the story element that had the only two Council races that ever fought a war against each other were also the two that were the most culturally similar to each other and who arguably became the closest allies (even before ME3, there were all those news stories about human/turian military cooperation; and of course, the Normandy).

You still had to solve their problem too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lycus posted:

Especially since the Turian Councillor is such an obstacle across the first two games (unless you let him die in the first game of course) but starts ME3 being the most open to Shepard's cause.

Or maybe I'm just biased since I liked Garrus so much. :)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

You still had to solve their problem too.

Yeah, but their problem was "the next in line is in a live fire zone and we'd like an evac if you don't mind", not "hey, mind solving this cultural issue that we've been dealing with since the era when vikings were still a thing?".

The turians were a bit more reasonable.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah, but their problem was "the next in line is in a live fire zone and we'd like an evac if you don't mind", not "hey, mind solving this cultural issue that we've been dealing with since the era when vikings were still a thing?".

The turians were a bit more reasonable.

Well also we need the krogan so you can have our spaceships in a weird musical chairs game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I wish there had been a bit more time to pursue the late game revelation that the high-minded, noble Asari who decided to embrace a galactic community rather than dominating it ala the Protheans were actually hiding/hoarding technological innovation for themselves to make sure they were always at the top of the food chain. Especially since it was also a secret being kept from most of the race itself.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jerusalem posted:

I wish there had been a bit more time to pursue the late game revelation that the high-minded, noble Asari who decided to embrace a galactic community rather than dominating it ala the Protheans were actually hiding/hoarding technological innovation for themselves to make sure they were always at the top of the food chain. Especially since it was also a secret being kept from most of the race itself.

Well we do want to work with them rather than out them for being horrible people.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Jerusalem posted:

Thessia is one of the lower points of the game for that reason, among others--it's a major event in the war, yet it's a single short mission instead of three plus an optional N7 mission, and it ends with a lovely scripted event instead of something the player does. Noticeably underdeveloped after Tuchanka and Rannoch. Someone from BW on a PAX panel last week cited Thessia as something he wished they'd had more time to work on (particularly the Kai Leng fight).

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
In the leak, the ardat yakshi monastery mission took place on Thessia itself rather than a colony, perhaps an indication it was once a "quest hub" like Tuchanka and Rannoch.

Also I never minded the turians saying "hey we'd love to help but our own planet is hosed right now too, get us some reinforcements and we'll spare some troops." It was an argument that made sense and I think Shepard's anger is more justified towards the asari and salarians, who were not under attack yet. Plus I think they could have stood to show human support being offered to the aliens in return for helping Earth because as it stands it kind of looks like Shepard is just demanding they abandon their own worlds to help Earth right now because Earth is most important.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Cynic Jester posted:

Just replayed Mass Effect 3 for the first time since release

I'm replaying it too! And actually for the first time I've noticed that in this game you don't fight any members of other species like you do in the first two games. Reaper forces don't count. All the time you were killing turians, Krogans, vorcha, whatever. But in 3 only in like cutscenes.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm almost all the way through my full trilogy playthrough before I delete these games for good. I'm surprised at just how awful some of the scripting is in every game. Conrad's plot flags are set incorrectly when you import from ME1, Ashley for some reason doesn't become any less of a space racist even if you do that persuade check to get her to change her mind in ME1, little things like that just bother me.

Glad to be in ME3 now - running actually works, I can effectively play a shotgun Infiltrator, and tech combos! I think I'll beat the game (with the Happy Endings mod) and THEN do the Citadel DLC for maximum head-cannon awesomeness.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

1st AD posted:

I'm almost all the way through my full trilogy playthrough before I delete these games for good. I'm surprised at just how awful some of the scripting is in every game. Conrad's plot flags are set incorrectly when you import from ME1, Ashley for some reason doesn't become any less of a space racist even if you do that persuade check to get her to change her mind in ME1, little things like that just bother me.

Glad to be in ME3 now - running actually works, I can effectively play a shotgun Infiltrator, and tech combos! I think I'll beat the game (with the Happy Endings mod) and THEN do the Citadel DLC for maximum head-cannon awesomeness.

What was that old quote, Bioware didn't expect anywhere near as many players to import as they did? Like, they thought some hilariously low percentage would import and it was actually 50%? They only really doubled-down on getting it right for ME3.

Honestly, weird bugs with the imports aside, I'm impressed they managed to make it work at all across three games spanning ... five, six years of total development time?

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

1st AD posted:

Conrad's plot flags are set incorrectly when you import from ME1

They actually joke about this in ME3. Conrad says something about being under a lot of stress and mis-remembering what you said to him in ME1.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cheap Vodka posted:

They actually joke about this in ME3. Conrad says something about being under a lot of stress and mis-remembering what you said to him in ME1.

Joke's on him, I did pull a gun :smuggo:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Cheap Vodka posted:

That whole quest was amazing for cramming in so many ME1 side mission callbacks. It actually made me feel bad for not hunting down all of the Matriarch's writings.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Rincewind posted:

That whole quest was amazing for cramming in so many ME1 side mission callbacks. It actually made me feel bad for not hunting down all of the Matriarch's writings.

Yeah the first thing I did before embarking on probably my last trilogy playthrough was to figure out what sidequests were essential. I'm glad the Matriarch ones are easy to obtain, because the League Medallions fetch quests in ME1 were super tedious.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I still haven't seen the Paragon-y ways of talking to Conrad. Pulling the gun on him in ME1 and grazing his foot in ME2 are too much fun.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I think in the next week or two I might start another play through of ME1, are engineer or sentinel anygood? Only classes I've used in ME1 are Adept, Infiltrator and Soldier. Thinking of possibly doing it on impossible, or w/e the highest difficulty is. Definitely had the most fun with adept. Honestly thinking of maybe running through as adept again, throwing poo poo all over the place was ridiculously fun.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Mustang posted:

I think in the next week or two I might start another play through of ME1, are engineer or sentinel anygood? Only classes I've used in ME1 are Adept, Infiltrator and Soldier. Thinking of possibly doing it on impossible, or w/e the highest difficulty is. Definitely had the most fun with adept. Honestly thinking of maybe running through as adept again, throwing poo poo all over the place was ridiculously fun.

For ME1, Engineer is easy but not as fun as adept (for ME1, nothing is as fun as adept).

If you're planning on taking the character forward, Engineer is great in both ME2 and ME3. Can strip all defenses and the drone is great for making people pop out of cover, at which point your buddies can finish him off. My first character was an engineer, played hardcore/insane on ME2/ME3, and I almost never fired my gun.

Also, making your character a slightly goony looking engineer fits Mark Meer's voice really well. :colbert: I never understood the Mark Meer hate until I tried a run as the default Shep-face soldier.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Cross-posting with the other thread, the greatest fanart of all time. It may be considered to have spoilers though. DLC stuff. Avoid clicking if you haven't played those.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh yes, anime style, making identification MUCH easier.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Something about having Saren carrying a swooning Benezia just cracks me up though. How does this even remotely represent their relationship/characters?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dr. Abysmal posted:

In the leak, the ardat yakshi monastery mission took place on Thessia itself rather than a colony, perhaps an indication it was once a "quest hub" like Tuchanka and Rannoch.

Also I never minded the turians saying "hey we'd love to help but our own planet is hosed right now too, get us some reinforcements and we'll spare some troops." It was an argument that made sense and I think Shepard's anger is more justified towards the asari and salarians, who were not under attack yet. Plus I think they could have stood to show human support being offered to the aliens in return for helping Earth because as it stands it kind of looks like Shepard is just demanding they abandon their own worlds to help Earth right now because Earth is most important.

What I liked was that the military support for the Salarians would basically say, "Yeah, we heard that our government said gently caress you guys, but gently caress that we know what's up." Getting their support was a neat way to show the cultures weren't of one mind.

I've also started another trilogy run, most likely not my last. Someone said you can convince Ashley God doesn't exist. How do you do this?

Shard fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 1, 2013

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Spikeguy posted:

I've also started another trilogy run, most likely not my last. Someone said you can convince Ashley God doesn't exist. How do you do this?

Show her the ending?

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008
I got the trilogy on January 12th this year and have been playing the whole drat thing since. I'm near the end of ME 3 and in middle of the citadel DLC right now. I just love, aside from all the things that impressed me (and the things that didn't but I forgave because... come on, I can't remember the last time I had this much fun in a videogame), is how the whole thing is played out in my head like a biiig adventure. I must've clocked over 240 hours on the trilogy. The only game that came close to that number of hours was Front Mission 3 for PS and that was like what, 150 hours for two play throughs?

I'm amazed at just how much stuff they were able to fit into ME3. Granted all the side missions available were mere fetch missions that take place within a low interactive setting (galactic map), but all that dialogue! I'm playing the male paragon-iest Shep right now and I lost track of how many times I thought to myself "in my next play through, I'm gonna have to pick the other option to see what's different". And all of the dialogue options must contain the female version as well. There are also those few sentences that your buddies say to you after the main missions, not to mention all the dialogues that must take into account the different consequences in missions and decisions related to the characters you come across... I just wonder how the voice recording sessions went down; were the scripts organized by mission time tables and all the results that came out of it, and then handed to the voice actors and actresses to have them read from one scenario to the other? Were they in the same room actually having these dialogues with each other? There had to have been some kind of a rigid organized system in place for the scripts to be read by the actors/actresses so that there can be no inconsistencies for the gamers to spot... Because I could imagine the legit shitstorm from that, looking at the reactions Bioware got after the ending. (Which I've not had the luxury (?) to experience yet :v:)

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
There was a series of interviews with most of ME2's voice actors way back;
For the most part, they record their lines alone in a studio. They get the full dialogue script beforehand and know what the other person in a dialogue will say, and sometimes the VA director will cue in a line from the other character in a dialogue, but they pretty much just record their character's lines alone in sessions of multiple hours a day.

All things considered, the voice work in this series is pretty drat impressive.

As is how they managed to organize that entire process.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Oh mang, I just finished ME2. Story's not exactly Revelation Space, but it's certainly good, and the game's a heck of a lot of fun. ME2 was a huge improvement over the first, though it had some problems -- probing, extremely frequent stuck-on-terrain bugs, garbage texture resolution, silly romance mechanics, shared cooldown on every ability (whaaaat a stupid idea)... Looks like they really stepped up at least their cutscene CGI game for 3.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

epenthesis posted:

Show her the ending?

I was going to say "leave her on Virmire," but this works better.

Kringy
Dec 31, 2008

Burning Mustache posted:

For the most part, they record their lines alone in a studio. They get the full dialogue script beforehand and know what the other person in a dialogue will say, and sometimes the VA director will cue in a line from the other character in a dialogue, but they pretty much just record their character's lines alone in sessions of multiple hours a day.

That's something, considering that I could've sworn they must have brought all the actors that are in a particular scene in a room and have sessions, one after another. Speaks for the acting skills and coordinating on the directors part I guess.

I'm also curious as to just how much room is left on the blu-ray disc after a game like ME 3 has been put in it. I look at the game data stored on my PS3 for these ME games and they are all couple of gigs. I'm most likely blowing words outta my rear end but I heard the audio part of any games take the most amount of space, and just by hearing all the special effect sounds, music, and voice recordings on ME 3 I figure it's probably pushing the hardware capability to its limit.

games these days man... :psyduck:

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

After being an angry internet man for a year after playing through the ME3 ending, the positive response to the Citadel has got me running through the entire trilogy again (mostly because my current Xbox doesn't have the female renegade I ran through ME1+2 and gently caress working out how save-editing/xbox importing works). As I go I'm intending to pick up the odd story DLC's I missed.

It remains to be seen how I'll feel about ME3 when I get there, but goddamn did Bring Down the Sky remind me of why ME1 is one of the most amazing game experiences I've ever had. Trucking around that Asteroid with bit's breaking off and the planet in peril below (above?) was wonderful. After 6-7 run-throughs in the past I was on eyes-glazed autopilot for a lot of my 15+ hours but those 2 hours of new content were almost exactly like the first time.

The on-foot gameplay and art direction may have improved over the series, but not one single moment of the later games conveyed the beautiful enormity of space and the ME universe itself as well as the planet landings of the first game.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 1, 2013

Party in the UAE
Sep 10, 2012

by XyloJW

Fwoderwick posted:

After being an angry internet man for a year after playing through the ME3 ending, the positive response to the Citadel has got me running through the entire trilogy again (mostly because my current Xbox doesn't have the female renegade I ran through ME1+2 and gently caress working out how save-editing/xbox importing works). As I go I'm intending to pick up the odd story DLC's I missed.

It remains to be seen how I'll feel about ME3 when I get there, but goddamn did Bring Down the Sky remind me of why ME1 is one of the most amazing game experiences I've ever had. Trucking around that Asteroid with bit's breaking off and the planet in peril below (above?). After 6-7 run-throughs in the past I was on eyes-glazed autopilot for a lot of my 15+ hours but those 2 hours of new content were almost exactly like the first time.

The on-foot gameplay and art direction may have improved over the series, but not one single moment of the later games conveyed the beautiful enormity of space and the ME universe itself, as well the planet landings of the first game.

Yeah I think the series had a lot more to offer when it was about the beauty (and horror)of the vastness of space instead of the horror of war. It went from being unique to being what every other blockbuster is about.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If ME3 had more development time (like, say 2 years more) it would've been cool if they made the hub worlds actual sprawling planets that you could travel across. One thing that we never got was the ability to fly through the Citadel - it would've been cool if they opened up a section from the Presidium all the way through to one of the Ward arms for travel via spacecar.

I didn't like how every sidequest planet in ME1 forced you to drive around for a few miles, but they really did it well in the story missions and I would've liked to see more of that. I suppose what I really want is a GTA-like sandbox for Mass Effect.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

1st AD posted:

If ME3 had more development time (like, say 2 years more) it would've been cool if they made the hub worlds actual sprawling planets that you could travel across. One thing that we never got was the ability to fly through the Citadel - it would've been cool if they opened up a section from the Presidium all the way through to one of the Ward arms for travel via spacecar.

I didn't like how every sidequest planet in ME1 forced you to drive around for a few miles, but they really did it well in the story missions and I would've liked to see more of that. I suppose what I really want is a GTA-like sandbox for Mass Effect.

I particularly didn't like that you felt like you had to travel every inch of every single planet, but I missed that the concept was completely gone in the next two games.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

rypakal posted:

I particularly didn't like that you felt like you had to travel every inch of every single planet, but I missed that the concept was completely gone in the next two games.

Yeah there was a lot to dislike about the Mako sections. There is still nothing fun about trying to mount a near vertical mountain and at least once in my recent playthrough I got stuck in a part of the mountain noise map that was so steep that I had to return to the Normandy and then re-land. Add to that most of the points of interest are either cookie-cutter or paper-thin narritively. And Christ, the controls...

But, there was something there to be polished over the next two games if that was where they'd wanted to take the game. It's head in the clouds thinking, but a sci-fi version of some of the larger Battlefield 3 maps would be amazing. Imagine driving around Caspian Border in the Mako, with the Flora/Fauna suitably altered, some futuristic buildings, a few NPC's/side-quests and obviously a stunning sky-map. :allears:

Love the idea of the Citadel sky-car travelling though. I spent a long time in the ME1 Presidium staring wistfully down a sniper scope at the torus-like curve and what might be around the corner. I hope the people standing over there had mass effect fields on though...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I played ME1 again last week, and honestly, I still like landing on planets with the Mako and driving around. The only problem for me is the same-ness of the planets, so it gets old after doing it a dozen times. If they had kept the feature in ME2, but with more visually interesting locations, I would've approved.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

A total conversion of GTA4 would be pretty awesome, replace the guns with space guns and the cars with space cars.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

Ha, that was me. As much as I'd like to be responsible for starting a crazy rumor, I was just joking (as far as I know)

I've been replaying the trilogy too, just finished ME1 again. I do really like aesthetic of dropping the Mako onto uncharted planets, It's undeniably really cool. But the every other thing about uncharted planets is such an interminable drag, I just can't bring myself to do them again, even if I do beeline for the objective.

I miss the drops, but the way ME3 starts nearly every mission with you jumping out of the shuttle is a fine compromise.

I just really like orbital insertions in my sci-fi, that's all.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ainsley McTree posted:

This really does explain why I liked Halo 2 and ODST so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ainsley McTree posted:

You get plenty of those in the Mass Effect series. :pervert::liara::dong::fella:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 1, 2013

• Locked thread