Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Countries that officially recognize the state of Palestine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

There's a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime

ekuNNN posted:

Countries that officially recognize the state of Palestine:

How countries voted on UN Resolution 67/19 to upgrade Palestine to non member observer state:
Green is yes, red is no, yellow is abstention and blue is absent.

:canada:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

dethslayer666 posted:

How countries voted on UN Resolution 67/19 to upgrade Palestine to non member observer state:
Green is yes, red is no, yellow is abstention and blue is absent.

:canada:
What's up with the Czech Republic?

e; they even recognize the state of Palestine on the other map :psyduck:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Maybe they thought non member observer state wasn't good enough?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Israel and the Czech Republic have super friendly relations, it's no surprise they voted no
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_Republic%E2%80%93Israel_relations

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

What is happening in Kentucky with cancer?!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hitch posted:

I imagine it's some combination of meth, poverty, tobacco, and misery.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

True. Plus they rank 47th of all states with persons over 25 with a Bachelor's degree. Source

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Hitch posted:

True. Plus they rank 47th of all states with persons over 25 with a Bachelor's degree. Source

Aw we're exactly tied with Colorado. My failure to finish college is dragging us down to a tie :(

and good god West Virginia

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Amused to Death posted:

Aw we're exactly tied with Colorado. My failure to finish college is dragging us down to a tie :(

and good god West Virginia

That statistic is a little misleading because there are plenty of jobs in West Virginia that don't require a bachelor's degree (coal mining mostly, but still).

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
Would WV and KY cancer rates have anything to do with coal mining?

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
Kentucky has the highest smoking rate. And, indeed, the coal mining doesn't help, either.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hitch posted:

Horses produce very high levels of background radiation. This is why human life expectancy went up after the invention of the automobile. Also there are severe dendritic deformities associated with long-term exposure to Kentucky Bluegrass.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Hitch posted:

Kentucky's biggest exports are bourbon, fried chicken, coal, tobacco, and college basketball.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Snoggle posted:

Kentucky's biggest exports are bourbon, fried chicken, coal, tobacco, and college basketball.

That is certainly what they are known for, haha.

But strictly speaking, that isn't accurate. Quick search shows their biggest exports are:

1. CIVILIAN AIRCRAFT, ENGINES, AND PARTS
  2. PASS VEH SPK-IG INT COM RCPR P ENG >1500 NOV
  3. ANTISERA, BLOOD FRACTIONS & IMMUNOLOGICAL PRO
  4. PASS VEH SPK-IG INT COM RCPR P ENG > 3000 CC
  5. MTR VEH TRANS GDS COM-IG INT C P E GVW >5NOV2

Interestingly, their #7 export is enriched uranium!

Source: State Exports for Kentucky

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

This is pretty awesome.

Civilian aircraft parts seems to be #1 for every state I looked at, though, which is weird.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

All Of The Dicks posted:

This is pretty awesome.

Civilian aircraft parts seems to be #1 for every state I looked at, though, which is weird.

Yeah, it seems to be in the top 5-7 for most states. Didn't know it was that big. I think these may be exports to other countries only, however. Not 100%.

Either way, glad I don't live in Illinois with its leading export: DUMPERS DESIGNED FOR OFF-HIGHWAY USE

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Kentucky is a lovely state between coal mining, coal power plants (also what the black blob in SW Indiana is on the mercury chart, like 15 coal power plants with more on the way, I hope you enjoy Times Square, fuckers), and tobacco.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

A map of Bouvet Island, an uninhabitated island off the coast of Antarctica that for some bizarre reason belongs to Norway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

System Metternich posted:

A map of Bouvet Island, an uninhabitated island off the coast of Antarctica that for some bizarre reason belongs to Norway.

I want to go there to see the sea elephants.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

All Of The Dicks posted:

This is pretty awesome.

Massachusetts greatest export is gold. Didn't see that one coming. Civilian aircraft parts *are* 7th though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cheerfullydrab posted:

Horses produce very high levels of background radiation. This is why human life expectancy went up after the invention of the automobile.

This is a fascinating piece of trivia. Do you have any sources? I'd love to read up more, such as numbers.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Hitch posted:

Yeah, it seems to be in the top 5-7 for most states. Didn't know it was that big. I think these may be exports to other countries only, however. Not 100%.

Either way, glad I don't live in Illinois with its leading export: DUMPERS DESIGNED FOR OFF-HIGHWAY USE

Is this just measuring the top grossing exports? American manufacturing is pretty sorry so military contractors probably will take the cake in most places. The only thing I can think of for the Illinois statistic is Caterpillar

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Yes, the charts rank the exports in "values in millions of dollars" as well as "% share".

Also, I think you're spot on with the Caterpillar reference. I have a few friends that work for them. That is one huge operation there in Peoria.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a fascinating piece of trivia. Do you have any sources? I'd love to read up more, such as numbers.

You realize it was a joke right? Unless you're joking too, and I'm the one who's the idiot.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Hitch posted:

That is certainly what they are known for, haha.

But strictly speaking, that isn't accurate. Quick search shows their biggest exports are:

1. CIVILIAN AIRCRAFT, ENGINES, AND PARTS
  2. PASS VEH SPK-IG INT COM RCPR P ENG >1500 NOV
  3. ANTISERA, BLOOD FRACTIONS & IMMUNOLOGICAL PRO
  4. PASS VEH SPK-IG INT COM RCPR P ENG > 3000 CC
  5. MTR VEH TRANS GDS COM-IG INT C P E GVW >5NOV2

Interestingly, their #7 export is enriched uranium!

Source: State Exports for Kentucky

This is awesome. North Dakota:

Oil, tractors/front-end loaders of all kinds, grain, and alcohol. And then the loving aircraft parts.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

reagan posted:

Oil, tractors/front-end loaders of all kinds, grain, and alcohol. And then the loving aircraft parts.

drat, 9/11 was meta as gently caress.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Thank god for the Wright brothers I guess.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

System Metternich posted:

...Cape Circumcision?

Wait, what?

(AfterWikiFakeEdit: Just because it's the Feast day doesn't make it a good name!)

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
what the hell is PASS VEH SPK-IG INT COM RCPR P ENG >1500 NOV?

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Number Two Stunna posted:

Passenger vehicle with a bunch of modifiers. You could find out by telling state and which facilities are in the state.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Number Two Stunna posted:

Passenger vehicle, spark-ignition intermittent combustion reciprocating piston engine, engine size over 1500cc but not over 3000cc.

Or, in other words, 4-cylinder Camrys.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Hitch posted:

When you consider how spread out the aircraft supply chain is thanks to all of the state Job Creation handjobbery in the defense procurement process (how many states make something for the F-35 again?), it's not that surprising.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Wrap it up, Germanailures

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

twoday posted:

I love how there's still that Russian enclave of Kaliningrad.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

twoday posted:

What language is that map in? Is every country labeled using their native languages? That was my first guess, but the seas don't belong to any one nation, so I'm not sure what the standard is.

(Using native-language labels seems like it would also be a huge pain in Switzerland.)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The Channel is in French, the North Sea is in Dutch and the Baltic is in Polish (I think?).

I like how Austria still exists and owns Bavaria but all the cities have names in Italian ("Monaco di Baviera").

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Are the French names in their English corruptions of French? At least France itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GreenCard78 posted:

Are the French names in their English corruptions of French? At least France itself?

I'm pretty sure the French spelling of "France" is also "France".