Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Pubic Lair posted:

Edit: A sportster may be ok if you are a ginormous goon, as I think there were a few posters on here who were just too big or tall for something smaller but I'm 5'10" 220lb and the sportster is still a topheavy pig when not rolling.

I'm a pretty big dude at 6' 300. Having never rode I'm not sure what is right for me vs what will make me feel like a monkey on a unicycle.

Sagebrush posted:

The Rebel 250 is really too small for most American roads. It's significantly less powerful than even a Ninja 250, and it's physically very small; not the kind of thing someone who's cross-shopping Harleys is going to have any interest in. A much better entry-level cruiser is something like a used Suzuki S40, Yamaha V-Star 250, or an older 750cc class metric cruiser.

Haggins: don't forget to account for the price of the MSF course ($free to $500ish depending on where you are) and roughly $600-$1000 in gear.

What should my budget be for the bikes you listed? I will take the MSF course before I hop on anything and I have gear factored in. I'd rather do it closer to my purchase date which still a few months down the road. Whatever I end up getting I will probably take baby steps with it and not go to far till I feel comfortable riding, however long that takes. I'll still have my car so I don't have to ride outside of my limits if I don't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
$1500-$2k will get you a fair-to-rough baby metric bike to get moving. $3-4k will get you a needs nothing something or other. Among the above list there are the Shadow 750's (Spirit for the sporty clone, and Aero for the Softail clone), and the Suzuki Boulevard C50 which does a fantastic job at pretending to be a mondo cruiser while still being easy on the ponies and weight (for a cruiser).

My buddy snagged his 05 C50 for $3,500 and that's about as low as I've seen them go in good shape. You might be able to find an older model for less. Before Suzuki unified all it's cruisers under the 'Boulevard' branding it was called the Volusia (VL800). It's very comfortable for taller dudes and has all kinds of stuff not typically found on more entry level bikes such as shaft drive, floorboards, passing switches, etc. It also comes in a touring trim level so if you get one and decide it's plenty of power for awhile you'll have plenty of light bars, shields, and saddle bags to ebay on the cheap.

That bike has become my goto starter bike recommendation for people into cruisers and have a budget that can accommodate it. Displacement-wise it's bigger than most starter recommendations, but it's within the HP and weight specs of often recommended 750's. It's engineered through and through to hide it's displacement. Side-by-side my wife's Softail standard you would swear the C50 is the bigger bike.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 1, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Halo_4am posted:

My buddy snagged his 05 C50 for $3,500 and that's about as low as I've seen them go in good shape. You might be able to find an older model for less. Before Suzuki unified all it's cruisers under the 'Boulevard' branding it was called the Volusia (VL800). It's very comfortable for taller dudes and has all kinds of stuff not typically found on more entry level bikes such as shaft drive, floorboards, passing switches, etc. It also comes in a touring trim level so if you get one and decide it's plenty of power for awhile you'll have plenty of light bars, shields, and saddle bags to ebay on the cheap.

What? There are bikes made after 1980 without a passing switch? :psyduck: To me that's like saying there's still cars with hand-crank starting.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

What? There are bikes made after 1980 without a passing switch? :psyduck: To me that's like saying there's still cars with hand-crank starting.

Passing switches aren't really a thing on most bikes in the US. We have different switchgear that is often missing it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

So maybe something like these?

http://charleston.craigslist.org/mcy/3688858532.html

http://charleston.craigslist.org/mcy/3715238968.html

I'm guessing I could putz around on these for awhile then sell it for a little less than what I paid?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

Passing switches aren't really a thing on most bikes in the US. We have different switchgear that is often missing it.

Ah, that explains it. I'm sure they've all calculated it to the penny, but to me it seems counterintuitive that it would be cheaper to make different switchgear and put on bikes depending on where they're going to be sold. v:shobon:v

Haggins posted:

So maybe something like these?

http://charleston.craigslist.org/mcy/3688858532.html

http://charleston.craigslist.org/mcy/3715238968.html

I'm guessing I could putz around on these for awhile then sell it for a little less than what I paid?

Beware that a S40 will in no way "haul rear end" like one of them claim. Sure, it's faster than a Rebel 250, but IIRC the S40 is just an update of the LS650, which is one of the slowest bikes I've ridden that wasn't a 125 or 250.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Halo_4am posted:

$1500-$2k will get you a fair-to-rough baby metric bike to get moving. $3-4k will get you a needs nothing something or other.

I got a 1982 Suzuki GS650GL for $250, non-running. $100 worth of parts later, I had a workable learner bike.

A year later, I sold it to z3n's friend for $700. That was in the SF area.

A few months back, I found a 79 Honda CM400T for $800. Again, this is at absurd bay area prices. My girlfriend is learning on the Honda now.

If you have some mechanical inclination, consider getting a bigger displacement Japanese bike from maybe the early 80s. I bet you could get a runner for less than $1000.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

^^^^ I can do things but I need real idiot proof instructions. I doubt I could diagnose issues.

I still think eventually I'll want a cruiser/harley but I'm going to bail out of this thread for now and start planning on going the cheap beater route. Once I get some cash together I'll get some gear, take the course, then shop around.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Haggins posted:

^^^^ I can do things but I need real idiot proof instructions. I doubt I could diagnose issues.

I still think eventually I'll want a cruiser/harley but I'm going to bail out of this thread for now and start planning on going the cheap beater route. Once I get some cash together I'll get some gear, take the course, then shop around.

By all means if you intend to get a harley keep looking as good deals may pop up but what I meant to say is unless money is no object start on something cheap and based on your size maybe not as small as a 250 but something easy and cheap to fix if dropped so you have one less thing to worry about. The MSF course will give you a better feel for what you need.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Ah, that explains it. I'm sure they've all calculated it to the penny, but to me it seems counterintuitive that it would be cheaper to make different switchgear and put on bikes depending on where they're going to be sold. v:shobon:v\

I think it's because that in quite a few states it's illegal to flash your brights at people.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I have purchased a thing.

1999 XL1200C, 26306 on the odometer, S&S Super E carb and some aftermarket pipes.
Time to Frankenstein it!

Oh I paid 3500 for it. I'm perfectly happy.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

1999 XL1200C, 26306 on the odometer, S&S Super E carb and some aftermarket pipes.
Time to Frankenstein it!

Nice bike. Really like the color scheme.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Is it common for a Harley to have that little mileage on it? I mean, that's only averages out to about 1900 miles a year. In any case, it looks good, congrats on your new bike :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raven457 posted:

Is it common for a Harley to have that little mileage on it? I mean, that's only averages out to about 1900 miles a year.

Ha ha ha ha ha. Oh, that's a good one.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Raven457 posted:

Is it common for a Harley to have that little mileage on it? I mean, that's only averages out to about 1900 miles a year. In any case, it looks good, congrats on your new bike :)

Best April fools post I read this year. :cheers:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Raven457 posted:

Is it common for a Harley to have that little mileage on it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Raven457 posted:

With 26K he'll probably have the Harley museum calling him wanting to put it on display.

Really though Harleys either have a billion miles on them or they have like 300 miles, it seems the inbetweeners are the oddballs around here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The only Harley Guy™ I know in person has a little over 200,000 miles on his ~96 Sportster.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
So I have a set of nice chrome engine guard bar thingies to sell off this bike because they were the first thing I ripped off. I'm also going to be selling the Samson legend shorties exhaust since I will be fabricating my own.

Also the seat, risers, handlebars, controls and horn casing.

Anyone need any of that? The exhaust has O2 sensor ports for a FI bike but they are plugged right now since this one is carbureted.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Talking about Harley FI, I saw an ad for a screw you replace your idle air control valve with, so you can turn down the idle again for that lopey, oil-pressure destroying idle.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I always cringe when I hear someone idling at like 400rpm. I just want to reach out to the poor bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Doesnt matter if you break down when you trailer the bike everywhere.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
they sell special oil pumps where the main purpose is to enable a lower idle

:harley:

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

I want to put a quick release windshield on my Sporty Low. Who makes a good one (besides Harley)? Is National Cycle worth the money?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

elsanto posted:

I want to put a quick release windshield on my Sporty Low. Who makes a good one (besides Harley)? Is National Cycle worth the money?

Harley's quick release windshield is more "quick" release than actual quick release

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

elsanto posted:

National makes them for Harley, and Harley jacks the price up. You can get the same screen directly from National at a better price.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Cool. Looks like its either National or Memphis Shades.
I need to do a fork spring replacement, and would like to install a drop in kit like this one: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/dropin/index.html
Are there any tips and tricks to this, or is it really that easy?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

elsanto posted:

I need to do a fork spring replacement, and would like to install a drop in kit like this one: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/dropin/index.html

Changing springs and fork oil is very easy once someone shows you how to do it. Not having someone there you will be lucky if you don't punch yourself in the face with the top nut when you decide to unscrew it, there is also a trick to getting the forks aart and when to slip an allen into the bottom of the fork to unscrew it and when not to.

All in all find smeone who does Harley forks and ask him to show you how to do it, it's a 20 minute job for someone who knows his poo poo. It's 4 hours of head smashing misery without it.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

elsanto posted:

Remember to tighten back up the Memphis Shades quick releases so you don't lose them. I was so excited to take off the windshield a few weeks ago I forgot and lost two of them.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Changing springs and fork oil is very easy once someone shows you how to do it. Not having someone there you will be lucky if you don't punch yourself in the face with the top nut when you decide to unscrew it, there is also a trick to getting the forks aart and when to slip an allen into the bottom of the fork to unscrew it and when not to.

All in all find smeone who does Harley forks and ask him to show you how to do it, it's a 20 minute job for someone who knows his poo poo. It's 4 hours of head smashing misery without it.

I've been warned numerous times to be careful taking the top nuts off. The allen in the bottom of the fork is the fork oil drain plug?

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I put new pipes on my Softail heritage last week. It's been back to fuckin winter around here so the bike's been in the garage.

It had a mismatched set on it, a slash cut pipe that was just hanging off the rear cylinder and the front was a vance and hines ???? that had been hacksawed down...poorly.
They looked terrible, were way too loud and I have been worried about the studs breaking on the back jug.

Two weeks soaking the exhaust bolts in PB blaster and everything came right off and my new 2 into 1 slipped right on.
Now that the weather is getting nicer its time to ride. Cold I can deal with, but cold, overcast, spitting rain/mist and 30mph winds? I stay home.

What host is acceptable to use for pics these days?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Used Sunlight sales posted:

What host is acceptable to use for pics these days?

http://imgur.com/

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I have learned a few things about my HD Sporty since i bought it. I came from riding a Honda Shadow.

1) HDs do not just start up and go. This is aggravating, but I should have known.

2) This Sporty does not have a kickstand sensor. It will try to haul rear end away from you if you arent in nuetral and try to start it.

This is it so far. God I love this thing.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have learned a few things about my HD Sporty since i bought it. I came from riding a Honda Shadow.

1) HDs do not just start up and go. This is aggravating, but I should have known.

2) This Sporty does not have a kickstand sensor. It will try to haul rear end away from you if you arent in nuetral and try to start it.

This is it so far. God I love this thing.

They really are extremely fun. I've never ridden a bike with a kickstand sensor so it definitely teaches you to keep an eye on what you are doing. Edit with less unobservance: That sporty is pretty. I've got a 2000 XLH so it's got 4 piston calipers on the brakes which I appreciate. The FI sportys probably start up and go just fine I'd assume but the older models (pre 07 I think?) use carbureted engines

ArbitraryTA fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 6, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My EFI Buell 1200 is a cantankerous gently caress when it's cold, too. Actually, half warm is the worst, it spits through the intake which is jarring as hell. There's a page-long list of what could be doing that so I've settled on letting it idle for a few while I gear up - sorry neighbors.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Time to Frankenstein it!

Diggin the color scheme. Been an option on Sportsters since the early 80s.

My '83

kaws!
May 25, 2008
I dont know what im doing.

Got an 883 95~ engine for $100, needs just about everything. Anybody know where the best place is to get everything for the head (rockers, lifters, middle rocker box section, pushrods) and a second hand crank/rods? Figured It'd be good to rebuild over a few months for fun in the shed and get it into a frame for the wife to ride.

Also need to get around to finishing this one, 240 r18 on the back, dyna motor, got a 21 for the front that I need to get a tyre on and measure up what front end it needs. Will go a bit better then my old XS650 or did.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

J&P for new parts on the evo. Ebay always has a ridiculous selection of second-hand stuff. I'd be wary of using a second-hand bottom end though.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Xlforum.net has a solid mount forum fs/ft thread that is pretty decent. Might be able to find some parts there. Post a wtb reply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaws!
May 25, 2008

Scrapez posted:

Xlforum.net has a solid mount forum fs/ft thread that is pretty decent. Might be able to find some parts there. Post a wtb reply.

Forgot to say Im down under, postage seems to be a problem. Hopefully will be able to find some obliging chaps on there, thanks for the link.

kaws! fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 20, 2013

• Locked thread