Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

6EQUJ5 posted:

I'm still hoping for a PC port.

I know deep down it'll never happen though.

I bought Assassin's Creed 3 on PC just because it'll be the closest thing to Red Dead Redemption on PC that I'll ever get :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It's tenuous as hell, but Paul Eiding (voice of Colonel Campbell from MGS as well as a very, very large array of other stuff) was at a con here in Australia the other weekend.

He's a big videogame fan and when asked if he was working on anything said that there was one project he'd love to talk about but couldn't, and the only details he'd give is that it was something people had wanted to see for a while and he'd be playing an 1800s cowboy. A murmur immediately went through the panel about it being RDR2 and he didn't deny it.

It's probably some entirely unrelated. Still, I can hope.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I kinda hope any sequel doesn't follow John Marston. He was great but I think his story is done and following him in his gang days would be too weird seeing him as a villain instead of an antihero. I bet you'd cross paths with him at some point though.

Really though, If it's wild west and open world, I'm down.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

It's tenuous as hell, but Paul Eiding (voice of Colonel Campbell from MGS as well as a very, very large array of other stuff) was at a con here in Australia the other weekend.

He's a big videogame fan and when asked if he was working on anything said that there was one project he'd love to talk about but couldn't, and the only details he'd give is that it was something people had wanted to see for a while and he'd be playing an 1800s cowboy. A murmur immediately went through the panel about it being RDR2 and he didn't deny it.

There's a new Call of Juarez game set in the 1800s. But still... that would be awesome.

Rockstar isn't really in the habit of reusing characters in sequels so I'd be very surprised to see Marston reappear in Red Dead Revolution.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

19th century would be about right for a game starring Landon Ricketts, wouldn't it? And the voice is about right too (the original voice actor apparently died in 2011, so he's out).

I'll note that the 1800s would be a step backwards on the "interesting setting" front on account of that's been done before, but I suppose you can't really make a western game that takes place after the last days of the wild west, could you?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'll note that the 1800s would be a step backwards on the "interesting setting" front on account of that's been done before, but I suppose you can't really make a western game that takes place after the last days of the wild west, could you?

A lot of the rural southwest and Mexico remained largely unchanged well into the 1900's. Sure, vehicles and some modern agricultural equipment popped up but I don't think it'd be too different from what we saw in Red Dead Redemption. I'm not claiming to be an expert, make no mistake, I could very well be wrong.

And I honestly don't think having the game take place mid-late 1800's would be a step back at all. But that's just my opinion.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm hoping they get Will Smith on board for a RDR/Wild Wild West steamcow crossover.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

19th century would be about right for a game starring Landon Ricketts, wouldn't it? And the voice is about right too (the original voice actor apparently died in 2011, so he's out).

I'm now going to be so very disappointed when, if we do get a RDR2, that it won't be a Landon Ricketts prequel.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Ricketts is as overrated as his speeches were long.

Now, the origins of Herbert Moon, however...:haw:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Morter posted:

Ricketts is as overrated as his speeches were long.

Now, the origins of Herbert Moon, however...:haw:
Wouldn't that just be a game of Bully set in the 1800's?
That would be awesome.

I wonder what the Jews did to Herbert Moon to hate them so much? I mean, he's all Jews did this and Jews did that while the Irish (who were pretty universally disliked during that time period) get a pass. What is your story Herbert Moon? What is your angle of hatred?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm really hoping that a Red Dead sequel borrows the multi-protagonist system that GTA V is presenting. As much as I loved Martson, I think he had to live in this weird position of existing as both the hero and villain of a western in order to give a complete old west experience. I would love to have a game that allowed you to play as a good guy and bad guy.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm really hoping that a Red Dead sequel borrows the multi-protagonist system that GTA V is presenting. As much as I loved Martson, I think he had to live in this weird position of existing as both the hero and villain of a western in order to give a complete old west experience. I would love to have a game that allowed you to play as a good guy and bad guy.

As well as an ugly guy.

And now I'm sad, because a Good, The Bad, and the Ugly-styled game would be damned awesome. Three characters all seeking a hidden treasure, and you'd get to play as them all as they work to find its location, and even work together or betray each other to get it.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'd love to see a story around Irish. Something about a naturally cowardly character being forced by (extreme) circumstances to be the hero has enough plot worthy territory to make a decent Spaghetti Western out of, especially if it's Irish.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

Crappy Jack posted:

As well as an ugly guy.

And now I'm sad, because a Good, The Bad, and the Ugly-styled game would be damned awesome. Three characters all seeking a hidden treasure, and you'd get to play as them all as they work to find its location, and even work together or betray each other to get it.

Maybe even more of an option for you to influence the story for the sake of Good, Bad, or Ugly. The original didn't really let you influence anything significant; the only reason I played it through as evil was to hear what he'd say to the townspeople.
They could make the setting during the early west, or even in the Trans-Missouri during the Civil War. That hasn't been done to death in film.

chopbustabrown
Sep 14, 2011

I AM THE HEAT MISER
I got really bummed out on this game a couple of years ago when my Xbox died and I was unable to retrieve my character from the HD. I had put hundreds of hours into him and was still having a lot of fun playing, but I was too disheartened to start a new character.

Anyhow time heals everything and so I'm ready to begin a new character!
Do any of you still play the multiplayer (Xbox)? Would you kindly add me so we can ride together? Gamer tag: chopbusta brown

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
They should just make a Ravenous game.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

Fuzz posted:

They should just make a Ravenous game.

Hell yeah.

Since Mexico was the best part of the game, the Mexican War timeframe would kick rear end. The problem is that all of those single shot weapons would get pretty boring.

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
If I buy a used copy of the GOTY version, will I be missing out on anything due to one-time use activation codes or something of the sort?

I don't really care about multiplayer and already have the base game, but I think this is cheaper than buying all the DLC.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

TroubledWaters posted:

If I buy a used copy of the GOTY version, will I be missing out on anything due to one-time use activation codes or something of the sort?

I don't really care about multiplayer and already have the base game, but I think this is cheaper than buying all the DLC.

Everything in the GOTY version is right there on the disc, there's no codes or anything to put in.

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
Cool, sounds good. Thanks!

Looking forward to starting this over again, haven't played in awhile.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

I see where you're coming from but I think Marston was the perfect character to pull this off. Want to play the hero? You can legitimize doing good things because he's trying to start a new life with his wife and son...whereas you can rationalize doing bad things because, gently caress it, you used to be a goddamn outlaw. It comes naturally both ways.

Though I usually save all of my ridiculous marshal murdering rampages until after the story is finished. For obvious reasons.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Finally beat this after owning it for 2 years a month ago. Really in the mood to play Undead Nightmare, but I feel like I'm being ripped off paying $20 for a 3+ year old dlc (even 2+). Still worth the cost of admission or should I try and wait for some nebulous deal somewhere or find a copy on ebay etc?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

Finally beat this after owning it for 2 years a month ago. Really in the mood to play Undead Nightmare, but I feel like I'm being ripped off paying $20 for a 3+ year old dlc (even 2+). Still worth the cost of admission or should I try and wait for some nebulous deal somewhere or find a copy on ebay etc?
Undead Nightmare is $20? After all this time I'm amazed the price hasn't gone down as you can get the GOTY version which includes all the DLC for around $20 anyway. I'd say it has about as much content as The Lost and the Damned had for GTA IV.

E: Looking at PSN now and the standalone UN is indeed $20 but the DLC (which I bought) is $9,95. So as you have the game already you only have to pay :10bux:.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 12, 2013

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The GOTY edition has the Hardcore mode which is only available on that disc - and makes for a really awesome and immersive game if you turn off the HUD too.

So if you can scrape up a copy of the GOTY edition for cheapsies, it's worth it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Stare-Out posted:

Undead Nightmare is $20? After all this time I'm amazed the price hasn't gone down as you can get the GOTY version which includes all the DLC for around $20 anyway. I'd say it has about as much content as The Lost and the Damned had for GTA IV.

E: Looking at PSN now and the standalone UN is indeed $20 but the DLC (which I bought) is $9,95. So as you have the game already you only have to pay :10bux:.

IIRC the standalone Undead Nightmare also has all the other DLC as well.
What's Hardcore mode? Game ends if you die and you can't reload saves?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

raditts posted:

IIRC the standalone Undead Nightmare also has all the other DLC as well.
What's Hardcore mode? Game ends if you die and you can't reload saves?

Hardcore mode makes everyone take more damage, everything costs more, you get less money, ammo's more scarce, you have less Deadeye and it only regenerates when you kill people, if your horse dies, you have to find another one as they don't respawn. Stuff like that. Basically just makes the world harder to survive, but in a rather fun and engrossing way.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Crappy Jack posted:

Hardcore mode makes everyone take more damage, everything costs more, you get less money, ammo's more scarce, you have less Deadeye and it only regenerates when you kill people, if your horse dies, you have to find another one as they don't respawn. Stuff like that. Basically just makes the world harder to survive, but in a rather fun and engrossing way.

Hmm, that sounds pretty awesome actually and I'd like an excuse to play through as a bandit, riding off into the sunset dragging random people off carriages behind me etc.

I'll keep an eye on the GOTY edition and see if I can get a deal on it.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Try it with the HUD off (no minimap) and without auto-aim. You're going to use Dead Eye a LOT, it'll feel like you're constantly hiding to occasionally pop out and shoot a bad guy, and without the HUD you're forced to look around the world for landmarks as you travel through it. If you get lost, you always have the map, but you'll be surprised how enormous and beautiful the game is when you're not looking at a minimap as you travel around.

I just completed an entire playthrough doing that and while it was tough in places, if you know the map, you probably won't get lost and it is a very immersive and fun experience.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

fennesz posted:

I see where you're coming from but I think Marston was the perfect character to pull this off. Want to play the hero? You can legitimize doing good things because he's trying to start a new life with his wife and son...whereas you can rationalize doing bad things because, gently caress it, you used to be a goddamn outlaw. It comes naturally both ways.

Though I usually save all of my ridiculous marshal murdering rampages until after the story is finished. For obvious reasons.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I think Marston is a great character and Red Dead is one of the greatest pieces of video game storytelling. It's not a shortcoming that he managed to be both outlaw and lawman. I just think it's a hard trick to pull off a second time with only one core protagonist.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Peas and Rice posted:

Try it with the HUD off (no minimap) and without auto-aim. You're going to use Dead Eye a LOT, it'll feel like you're constantly hiding to occasionally pop out and shoot a bad guy, and without the HUD you're forced to look around the world for landmarks as you travel through it. If you get lost, you always have the map, but you'll be surprised how enormous and beautiful the game is when you're not looking at a minimap as you travel around.

I just completed an entire playthrough doing that and while it was tough in places, if you know the map, you probably won't get lost and it is a very immersive and fun experience.

Hey, another member of the True Cowboy club. No minimap is the way to go. It's even better if you do NOT use deadeye though. I'm replaying my True Cowboy run right now, but this time on hardcore for increased difficulty. Went all the way through on standard edition with expert targeting, no deadeye and no map, and no using inventory items, and it still wasn't very hard at all. Much more satisfying, but even the riding shotgun sequences with bandits rushing in from all sides only took two or three goes maximum. I tell you though, not having the crutch of slowmo mode really makes you sweat during those. I'll admit to aiming for the horse for a quick takedown sometimes. I just got to West Dickens' deadeye tutorial flim flam mission, and when it says to use deadeye to disarm the angry yokel? Yeah, you don't need that. :clint:

Time to see if hardcore makes that still viable.

Also, I still think the best way to play is pure hero doing nothing but story missions. Then at the end after the main story going full villain while filling out the 100%. Gives you two separate but related stories. "All my daddy left me was a treasure map and a sense of anger at the world." The very last thing Jack will do, after bounty hunting, robbing, killing, hunting and stealing his way to legendary status, will be to fill the game progress bar to 100% is to take down his father's killer. Plus it makes more sense for him to be doing the challenges and basic frontiersman stuff, I assume John already has those mastered.

I love this game so much, had to rebuy it for PS3 so I can replay it for a third time and get a fresh set of trophies now this is my main console. I don't even like the main story, but drat I love this world that they made. I must have over a hundred plus hours invested in this game by now.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 25, 2013

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I just keep thinking, imagine if they had made a pc version.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Bought the game back when it was released but was too busy with life/other games to finish it. About half way through now, love it, wish I had stuck with it before.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

For anyone that hasn't done this yet: do it. I did this a year or two ago (pretty sure I even posted about it) but disabling the HUD really makes you pay attention to your surroundings above all. Some missions can be frustrating because they're built around having a mini-map but goddamn if it ain't fun.

always be closing posted:

I just keep thinking, imagine if they had made a pc version.

Red Dead Redemption is the only reason I still own a 360. Now that I think about it I wouldn't be surprised to see a Read Dead sequel revealed at E3 this year. Oh god I hope so :banjo:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

fennesz posted:

For anyone that hasn't done this yet: do it. I did this a year or two ago (pretty sure I even posted about it) but disabling the HUD really makes you pay attention to your surroundings above all. Some missions can be frustrating because they're built around having a mini-map but goddamn if it ain't fun.

Red Dead Redemption is the only reason I still own a 360. Now that I think about it I wouldn't be surprised to see a Read Dead sequel revealed at E3 this year. Oh god I hope so :banjo:

Red Dead Revelation coming on PC

:swoon:

A man can dream

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

fennesz posted:

It may have been your post that inspired me to do this in the first place then. To which I say, thank you sir! :clint:

The few missions where you'll be lost without a minimap you can just quickly pop open the world map to get your bearings, and it doesn't really detract from the experience at all.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

Red Dead Revelation coming on PC

:swoon:

A man can dream

I would be astonished if the next title in the series didn't have a PC version. I want to say that Rockstar stated they never thought Red Dead Redemption would be such a hit and I bet that's the reason they never made plans for a PC port. And if it happens to be as moddable as GTA is...oh man. I will never play anything else.

I really hope they keep the light roleplaying aspects in the next iteration as well. Having an inventory and being able to customize your character by changing your outfit and buying new gear really adds a lot to the experience and keeps new playthroughs fresh.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

fennesz posted:

I would be astonished if the next title in the series didn't have a PC version. I want to say that Rockstar stated they never thought Red Dead Redemption would be such a hit and I bet that's the reason they never made plans for a PC port. And if it happens to be as moddable as GTA is...oh man. I will never play anything else.

I really hope they keep the light roleplaying aspects in the next iteration as well. Having an inventory and being able to customize your character by changing your outfit and buying new gear really adds a lot to the experience and keeps new playthroughs fresh.

They need to keep most if not all of the gameplay elements, add new ones that don't suck, don't gently caress something up GTAIV style, and expand the world and it will literally be the Perfect Video Game.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

All I wanted was rocket fueled horses that would take me to space. Is that too much to ask?!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

fennesz posted:

The reason Redemption didn't have a PC version was due to it's long, troubled dev cycle. They would have pretty much had to recode the entire game from scratch to get it to work on PC, and they just didn't think it was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Green Puddin posted:

All I wanted was rocket fueled horses that would take me to space. Is that too much to ask?!

Perhaps in some kind of Blood Dragon-esque DLC?

• Locked thread