Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Why do the Americans get to have lumpy bits in their boring red stuff. All we have is a lump in the middle and a few things off on the left where nobody goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Was about to wrap up the front brakes, then realized I was sent the wrong rotors. Awesome.

Went ahead and did the rears which were correct. This is the 2nd strike for rock auto sending me the wrong stuff.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Larrymer posted:

Was about to wrap up the front brakes, then realized I was sent the wrong rotors. Awesome.

Went ahead and did the rears which were correct. This is the 2nd strike for rock auto sending me the wrong stuff.

Are those rotors way smaller diameter or something? That's terrible. Earlier year model discs?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

General_Failure posted:

Are those rotors way smaller diameter or something? That's terrible. Earlier year model discs?

Could be a number of things. ABS vs not, upgraded brakes package, 2wd vs 4x4, different towing packages, you name it. Could be worse, we had a truck in a few weeks back that we got the wrong rotors for. Had them exchanged, started putting it together again, only to realize that the pads were also wrong (they matched the original, wrong rotors) so we had to wait for those to be delivered as well. What should have been a 1 hour job took almost 5 hours to complete on account of wrong parts.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Yep, about 3/4" too small in diameter. I've got a Saab 9-2X and nobody realizes it's the exact same car as a WRX so getting parts is always like this. I need to just say it's for a WRX and end the problems. But it looks like what they gave me is for a regular Impreza or something.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Larrymer posted:

Yep, about 3/4" too small in diameter. I've got a Saab 9-2X and nobody realizes it's the exact same car as a WRX so getting parts is always like this. I need to just say it's for a WRX and end the problems. But it looks like what they gave me is for a regular Impreza or something.

Reminds me of buying parts for my 1974 IH 100. If it was engine-related, it's a 1971 Javelin 401ci. If it's electrics, 1974 Chevy pickup. Chassis, forgetaboutit.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that
Upgraded lighting to HID projectors.

Before:

After (you can see the HALO on a little bit):

Besides the cosmetic upgrade, the light output is much better.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Coilovers, swaybars & wheels mounted. I am supposed to get it tinted tomorrow, but I kind of dig the fishbowl look.

Also hit 300 miles on the way home. The break-in period is killing me. Since I got home, I removed the front plate mount (I don't know if I'll put it back on once I get my plates) and put in a set of Hoen xenon-match foglights.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Larrymer posted:

That's exactly what I found the first time I pulled a front wheel off of my Altima.

It was one of many half-assed repairs I discovered on that pile of poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dipped the summer wheels

Before

After

Letting them dry right now, will do touch ups and pull the cards and then have them mounted. Need to have one looked at, I found a nail in it when I was unbagging them.

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

DropShadow posted:

Coilovers, swaybars & wheels mounted. I am supposed to get it tinted tomorrow, but I kind of dig the fishbowl look.

I dig the fishbowl look a lot on german cars when they have that blue tinted glass. It looks really great. My dads old e39 530i looked 10x better without tint, than it did with.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Larrymer posted:

For serious, driving a fairly rare Seat from a year that had a model changeover part-way through made even the simplest poo poo an exercise in frustration. Best one was a parts store guy smugly insisting that my car had rear disks and that I was completely wrong wanting drums. The next parts place I asked for non-ABS drums from the equivalent VW, built the bearings into them and tried to slap them onto the car before finding my car had the fractionally bigger ABS drums on it.

The car didn't have ABS, but because it's VW's 'sporty' brand they saw fit to put bigger rear drums on it anyway. The front disks were standard sized. :negative:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Every parts store in town wanted to sell me the rear transfer case output seal for a 95 and earlier XJ with either an NP231 or NP242 transfer case when I asked for one for a 99 with an NP231. When told their database was bullshit, they smugly noted that they were right and this was because the NP242 was the only transfer case offered in 98 and later builds. What? :niggly:

Nothing like watching a parts counter drone's whole world collapsing before their eyes, though I think the cognitive dissonance kept him together because he still seemed very confident that I'd be back for "the right seal" when I left. Sure enough, it fit, unlike the one I had in my spare parts collection and the one he'd sold me previously, which were both the one I was told definitely fit.

I showed up with a part number in hand because I already knew the other one wouldn't fit, but he insisted on looking up "the right seal" for me to help out :eng99:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The best thing in the world is developing a personal relationship with your local parts guys. I like being able to call the local Carquest, rattle off a part number, and they call me when the part gets there. Hell, they sold me a transmission gasket set that was short a gasket a couple weeks ago, and the assistant manager rode out to deliver it to me !

Granted, I spend a good chunk of change there doing shadetree work (for a private party anyway; ~$1500-$2000/yr), so I'm somewhat "special."

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

dangerz posted:

Upgraded lighting to HID projectors.

Before:

After (you can see the HALO on a little bit):

Besides the cosmetic upgrade, the light output is much better.

Did you get them from the group buy on the Corvette forums? I actually just ordered mine last night. Glad to hear they're a lot brighter! The ones on my Z are pitiful.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Stuck my Laguna Seca compliant exhaust on my 510 in prep for a track day and then realized I can't close my garage door all the way. Oh San Francisco garages...

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

Dizman posted:

Did you get them from the group buy on the Corvette forums? I actually just ordered mine last night. Glad to hear they're a lot brighter! The ones on my Z are pitiful.
Yeah I did. Apparently I live 20 minutes from where they're shipped, so I got the first set.

Take your time putting in the self-tapping screws. Very easy to strip those posts completely.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

dangerz posted:

Yeah I did. Apparently I live 20 minutes from where they're shipped, so I got the first set.

Take your time putting in the self-tapping screws. Very easy to strip those posts completely.

Ahhh, I actually saw your post about that. Didn't put the usernames together.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Did plugs and wires on the Blazer yesterday, cylinder 4 wasn't nearly as horrifying as the internet had led me to believe, just took about 15 minutes futzing with a wobble extension to get around the steering shaft. Today I replaced some vacuum lines; they weren't cracked, but I think they were a bit clogged because the truck definitely idles smoother than before.

Now, I have replaced the loving thermostat gasket about 4 times, and it still leaks from right around that. I discovered the coolant temp sensor was a bit loose; there was a bit of resistance, but I was able to tighten it about 3 full turns before it really snugged down, but that didn't fix my leak. It's driving me insane; every time I park, it leaves a fresh puddle of coolant, and I have to add about a half gallon every week. And on top of all that, it seems that my brand loving new heater core that I just put in is leaking. :suicide:

I need to get a loving real job, so I can buy a non pain in the rear end beater and sell this goddamn thing. And then fix my loving Protege.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Did you put pipe dope on the sensor before screwing it in? They're generally pipe thread, which really needs dope to seal properly without a ridiculous amount of torque, I like to use the PTFE kind.

Also, make sure you clean ALL the coolant smegma (that gross white clumpy poo poo that forms on any cast aluminum water pump or thermostat housing I've ever seen...) off the parts with a wire brush before trying to get a radiator hose to seal on them, and I've never had a thermostat gasket (at least, the paper kind) seal properly without some indian head on both sides.

Every time I do a thermostat without following those exact steps it leaks everywhere, but I've never had an issue with one I went overboard on.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Did you put pipe dope on the sensor before screwing it in? They're generally pipe thread, which really needs dope to seal properly without a ridiculous amount of torque, I like to use the PTFE kind.

Also, make sure you clean ALL the coolant smegma (that gross white clumpy poo poo that forms on any cast aluminum water pump or thermostat housing I've ever seen...) off the parts with a wire brush before trying to get a radiator hose to seal on them, and I've never had a thermostat gasket (at least, the paper kind) seal properly without some indian head on both sides.

Every time I do a thermostat without following those exact steps it leaks everywhere, but I've never had an issue with one I went overboard on.

It's an iron motor, so no aluminum corrosion. Didn't put anything on the sensor, it was in but not tightened all the way. Might pull it all the way out and give that a shot.

...aaand I feel like an idiot now. Went outside to take some pics of it, wiped the grime of the front of the motor and let it run for about 15 minutes. It's dripping on the ground, but the top of the motor is bone dry... all the way down to the water pump outlet where it joins the block.

:doh:

I have spent so much time trying to fix something that wasn't actually broken. loving hell. I saw greasy grime that got shiny when hot and assumed it was water seeping down.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 3, 2013

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Fucknag posted:

It's an iron motor, so no aluminum corrosion. Didn't put anything on the sensor, it was in but not tightened all the way. Might pull it all the way out and give that a shot.

...aaand I feel like an idiot now. Went outside to take some pics of it, wiped the grime of the front of the motor and let it run for about 15 minutes. It's dripping on the ground, but the top of the motor is bone dry... all the way down to the water pump outlet where it joins the block.

:doh:

I have spent so much time trying to fix something that wasn't actually broken. loving hell. I saw greasy grime that got shiny when hot and assumed it was water seeping down.

I did a similar thing a few months ago, replaced the radiator which had a tiny leak instead of the water pump that was pissing all over the place.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My dad just sent me a text message saying "16 new wheel bolts". Turns out, 3 out of the 4 bolts on one of the front wheels snapped at the same time on my parents' car today :stare:

During Easter I helped them switch to their summer wheels. The bolts were pretty tight, but I broke them loose without having to use power tools, so I didn't think anything of it. There was also some resistance when tightening them back up, but nothing excessive.

I bet they're been overtightened repeatedly by idiots with air tools. Lesson learned: always change your own wheels and use a torque wrench.

Luckily, the wheel bolts on my own car seem to be in a much better state. Good thing, because they're a bit weird and probably expensive to replace:

Tapered and flat seats on the same wheels? Sure, why not!

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 4, 2013

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

KozmoNaut posted:

Wheel bolt nightmare poo poo

I had the same thing happen when I swapped my summer wheels on my e30 years ago, it was my first car with alloy wheels and I had no clue to re-torque them after a few days.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.
Not me, but a buddy of mine:

Lost a tire at almost 130. Hit the wall, did a 540 and ended up running a 10.3 @ 113 mph crossing the finish line with two flat tires, missing body panels, a missing wheel and facing the wrong way.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-JsmyZpt9k

This was his car when he was making about 800 rwhp. He let off halfway down the track as he didn't have a roll cage, etc. He was making a bit over 900 when he wrecked.

Dizman fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 4, 2013

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Dizman posted:

Lost a tire at almost 130. Hit the wall, did a 540 and ended up running a 10.3 @ 113 mph crossing the finish line with two flat tires, missing body panels, a missing wheel and facing the wrong way.
Sounds about right... glad he's OK. Shame about the car, though.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

sharkytm posted:

Sounds about right... glad he's OK. Shame about the car, though.

Yeah screw the car we're all just glad he's ok. There were a surprising amount of parts on first inspection that seemed salvageable, so we're trying to find a roller instead of dumping the car and having him start over and invest another $60k.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Today I decided to have another crack at getting the Saas wheel and boss off the VW. In the end I was successful by using an OHV valve compressor with a couple of its arms through the arms of the steering wheel and a socket on the steering column.

When I went to put the old wheel back on I discovered to my horror that the screws for the horn contact ring were missing. I took a trip to the place that sells bolts, screws etc. and nothing was a match.
:negative:

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
New front brakes on the Alfa (the caliper bolts will change and get lockwire, braided brake hoses also):

A pedal-box:

A custom inlet plenum:

Installed (bonus: new fuel rail and coil pack)

Made an exhaust manifold and downpipe:

Still needs a support rod between the tripod and the turbo flange. I am thinking of getting the exhaust manifold and downpipe ceramic coated. Do any of you have experience with such coatings? Are they worth the money?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Goddamn. :awesome:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Makes my adventures into braking on my old hilux seem a little inadequate.

I can fully get behind a turbo Alfa! I'll help push!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Did the front brakes with the correct rotors this time and knocked out that rear sway bar install waiting on two new end links from Rock Auto.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Sourced a 2.5 out of a 2001 Dakota for my YJ. With any luck ill have it here saturday and ill start moving accessories from the original motor in preparation.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ozmiander posted:

Sourced a 2.5 out of a 2001 Dakota for my YJ. With any luck ill have it here saturday and ill start moving accessories from the original motor in preparation.

I had no idea that the Daks used the Jeep 2.5L. Interesting.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

96-01 they did, at least.

AMC developed inline-4 motor, with a GM V-6 bellhousing pattern, in a Dodge, ~9 years after the demise of AMC. :pwn:

Today I finished cutting one of mine up and scrapping it. Parts car, and it had been sitting in the yard for way, way too long.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I stopped at the pay and spray to scrub the road scum off of the GTP. I felt like I'd accomplished something till I saw that Alfa stuff. That's some shiny car sex stuff right there.

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

DoLittle posted:

A custom inlet plenum:

Installed (bonus: new fuel rail and coil pack)

This intake is beautiful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
White wheels white wheels white wheels

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Rhyno posted:

White wheels white wheels white wheels

Yeah! Only yours look way better than mine. I don't know what color I should paint these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

DoLittle posted:

New front brakes on the Alfa (the caliper bolts will change and get lockwire, braided brake hoses also):

What's up with the red structure? What does it do?