Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Guilty posted:

So I'm in the states for a few months and slowly beginning to realize how lovely my old gym was. I wanted to sign up for an amateur boxing match and it shocked me that you had to register and pay a fee in California, even for amateur fights. Anywhere else do this?

Every state will make you buy a seperate license even for amateur, usually $10, although I've had to pay as much as $25 to just corner. You don't get anything for it though, they're just trying to moneygrab because of the state athletic commission monopoly on licenses. Even their organization is poo poo, the requirements for the license is basically to have a pulse.

In my last fight in KY the organization only provided like 4 pairs of gloves. When they ran out they were like : uhhhh, you can use your own I guess...

I also just Friday (yesterday) received my license from Tennessee that I bought in December or so last year. Money goes straight to some old guy's pocket that's never seen the inside of a gym. It's a loving bullshit racket. They don't even pay the insurance for the event from it or anything of the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Guilty posted:

So I'm in the states for a few months and slowly beginning to realize how lovely my old gym was. I wanted to sign up for an amateur boxing match and it shocked me that you had to register and pay a fee in California, even for amateur fights. Anywhere else do this?

Seems standard, in Canada you need to be signed up as a member of the Canadian Amateur Kickboxing association or whatever, get medicals and pay a fee for any sanctioned amateur fight. There are smokers and stuff obviously but there's always been paperwork when I take a fight

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
The coach at my new boxing gym in socal said that the fee was 60 or 75 bucks, seems kind of steep.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

I put it in a dry basement and put a fan in front of it and if possible a dehumifier under it. I also use a stupid contraption of 4 hangers to "open up" the gi more.

I'd love to see a picture of your gi drying set up so I can copy it.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
As a person that has done a little fighting now, I just can't watch fight scenes in movies anymore

Anyone else get that?

Except 'here comes the boom' which seemed about right, even down to the Todd Duffee/Mike Russow finale fight

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

gimpsuitjones posted:

As a person that has done a little fighting now, I just can't watch fight scenes in movies anymore

Anyone else get that?

I'm actually cool with Matrix-style wire fu or flashy acrobatic Jackie Chan fight scenes that clearly aren't trying to be "real". Movie fights only bug me when they're going for realism, and miss it by a mile. I seem to remember Fight Club being particularly awful.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 31, 2013

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Guilty posted:

The coach at my new boxing gym in socal said that the fee was 60 or 75 bucks, seems kind of steep.

Is that for dedicated attention from a coach(pad work or him in your corner for sparring every session) or just to use the gym and then you have to pay for a coach as well? If the first it's not bad. If the second it's really lovely.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

KidDynamite posted:

Is that for dedicated attention from a coach(pad work or him in your corner for sparring every session) or just to use the gym and then you have to pay for a coach as well? If the first it's not bad. If the second it's really lovely.

I don't think he was refering to the gym fee, but the license fee the athletic comission demands for allowing you to participate in amateur fights.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 31, 2013

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ohhhh right. Well yeah that's steep as gently caress I think in Jersey it was 30 bucks for the book and registration to fight as many times as you want in a year. But California has a poo poo ton of boxers so maybe they can get away with that steep fee I doubt it's for each fight though.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
It's a one time fee, or per year I'm not sure which. But I know it's most definitely not for one fight. I probably won't do it since I plan on being back in Germany relatively soon and can't imagine that I would fight more than once in the states. If it was just an easy show up and fight, I'd probably do it.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ashenai posted:

I'm actually cool with Matrix-style wire fu or flashy acrobatic Jackie Chan fight scenes that clearly aren't trying to be "real". Movie fights only bug me when they're going for realism, and miss it by a mile. I seem to remember Fight Club being particularly awful.

I was watching 'the raid redemption' and all I could think was how much it would hurt to punch/kick/knee/elbow a dude wearing ballistic armour

Also drat those dudes must be hell of conditioned.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
All the Bourne movies I watched irritated me with the 'realistic combat' but I still don't mind spectacle style wire-fu stuff.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

The batman films with the really fast cuts to show how awesome batman is at fighting while completely obscuring what was actually going on didn't appeal to me much either

Until in The Dark Knight Rises when they had a stationary shot and Tom Hardy just threw like 50 hooks and killed him

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

fatherdog posted:

I've been training striking and grappling in various forms for ten years now. Pretty much all of my serious injuries occurred during grappling, the vast majority during takedowns.

My first BJJ class ever, only been to one so far... had two bloody noses and a temporarily injured ankle.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

fatherdog posted:

I've been training striking and grappling in various forms for ten years now. Pretty much all of my serious injuries occurred during grappling, the vast majority during takedowns.

I have had similar experiences as well, although my two most serious injuries came from wrestling both off takedowns.

Sparring? Some bruises and the occasional bloody lip/nose.

Grappling? Occasional Sprains/Hyperextensions

Takedowns? Fractured forearm, dislocated shoulder, torn cartilage in my knee

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I can't stand any fight scene that shoots for realism and fails, which is most. I watched Grosse Point Blank the other day and there was this little fight scene towards the end which was surprisingly good. The strangest places. 90s John Cusack comedy contains a more believable fight scene than 90% of the action movies I see.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
John Cusack is into kickboxing like Patrick Stewart is into racing.
e: I'm an idiot. I meant Patrick Dempsey.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 1, 2013

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I can't stand any fight scene that shoots for realism and fails, which is most. I watched Grosse Point Blank the other day and there was this little fight scene towards the end which was surprisingly good. The strangest places. 90s John Cusack comedy contains a more believable fight scene than 90% of the action movies I see.

If it's the one in the high school hallway, that's partially because the other guy is Benny Urquidez.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fatherdog posted:

If it's the one in the high school hallway, that's partially because the other guy is Benny Urquidez.

Yeah John Cusack is a martial arts buff and Benny the Jet was his sensei and did the choreography for that fight.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Injury-from-newbies chat:

Now that I think about it, when sparring striking with a new guy, the worst that can really happen is you get kicked in the nuts or KO'd - or the guy hurts himself by falling over and tearing an ACL or something. I can't really see any way to get really badly long term injury type hurt from it, you might take a few hard punches but you take them in fights from actual fighters and in hard sparring (assuming you go hard occasionally) anyway. Not that it's good, and it's more likely than injury from grappling, but less damaging

Whereas say wrestling or judo there's potential for a new guy to land badly (although not so much for a new guy to throw or takedown an experienced guy in such a way that he lands badly...) which can cause real long term joint injuries. Plus the feared 'failure to release on a tap' or similar.

I guess striking = broken nose, sore nuts, flash KO or black eye at worst

Grappling = broken joints or choked unconscious and poo poo yourself 'cos the other guy didn't let go when you tapped while letting him choke you

Unrelated: I've improved my hip flexibility and posterior chain strength to the point that I can do single legged squats (just body weight for now) and I'm pleased by this. Although I don't know if it's actually just something normal people can do? But I never could and my glutes are much stronger now than they have been previously. Probably due to not having done my job which involves a lot of driving since Christmas.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I take back everything. In light of today's events, basketball is the most dangerous sport.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Rikthor posted:

I have had similar experiences as well, although my two most serious injuries came from wrestling both off takedowns.

Sparring? Some bruises and the occasional bloody lip/nose.

Grappling? Occasional Sprains/Hyperextensions

Takedowns? Fractured forearm, dislocated shoulder, torn cartilage in my knee

Yeah, this is about like my experience a little over a year in...

Sparring: black eye
Grappling: various bumps and bruises, cauli ear
Takedowns: broken wrist

My biggest worry with sparring is that the head shots that don't bother me now end up putting me in the pants-making GBS threads crazy dementia phase of old age sooner than I'd otherwise get there.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I take back everything. In light of today's events, basketball is the most dangerous sport.

What happened?

Edit: Never mind, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xVXZZHNc_k

Lt. Shiny-sides fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 1, 2013

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Pretty much all martial arts seem a lot safer than anything where you're running and jumping around like basketball or gymnastics.

But don't tell people that, it'll ruin our image. :madmax:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
That is true. Anyway,

Sparring: Black eye, bloody nose, hosed up (hyperextended) finger joints and a few TKO's from head or liver punches.
Grappling: Bruises.
Takedowns: Pulled groin and few bad scares.
Extra category, heavy bag: hyperextended elbow from bad form, 100% power, and a moving bag :doh:

I seem to hurt myself more than most people in sparring. Then again, my striking to grappling ratio has been 10:1 over the past 7-8 years. Yet my worst injury and two very close calls have been from the takedown.

Phrost
Aug 21, 2004

Your martial art sucks
Loyd Ervin rented out Bullshido for the day so he could pitch his new self defense and moneymaking system.

Join Loyd Ervin's R-Force!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ashenai posted:

ya, I like when they do stunts but when its suppose to be "real fighting" I zone out. Fun fact: If you watch Fast and Furious 2 and I think 5 or 7 or whatever, Paul walker pulls some subtle Bjj, they call zero attention to it but I heard he trains in real life.

Its really :goonsay: but the scene where he gets surprised tackled by Tyrese, pulls guard then restrains him until he calms down is one of the best "realistic" movie fights I've ever seen and a cool example of bjj self defense.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Haywire is a cool movie, and probably the only time in a film I wasn't cringing in third-party embarrassment at a woman beating up a dude on-screen (kung-fu movies not included).

Not because I think the idea of a woman beating up a man is ridiculous, but because 99% of the time it's Angelina Jolie or someone similarly miscast.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 1, 2013

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

So I got laid off on January 2 and I've been getting back to training regularly after about 18 months away. As a relatively fat guy I've figured out that there are two things that little guys never expect from a big guy: good balance and an ability to get underneath them.

e: and the headstand pass for butterfly guard. No one ever expects a fat guy to hit that.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Haywire is a cool movie, and probably the only time in a film I wasn't cringing in third-party embarrassment at a woman beating up a dude on-screen (kung-fu movies not included).

Not because I think the idea of a woman beating up a man is ridiculous, but because 99% of the time it's Angelina Jolie or someone similarly miscast.

Oh yeah, I actually really enjoyed that one too. Carano can't really act but she has decent facial expressions and can function on camera. the director/cinematographer /script kept her on the rails really well and made a really good movie.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of modern fight choreography has gotten quite good compared to what fight scenes looked like even a decade ago, but I hate it when they have a really small woman kickboxing the poo poo out of dudes twice her size. In Haywire at least Carano is pretty big (insert joke here) and I could see her actually doing a mounted triangle to Michael Fassbender before shooting him in the face.

In the FX show The Americans there's a cool scene where a Russian sleeper agent does a triangle armbar to stop a dude from beating him up. Pretty good editing too, they obscured the fact that he obviously didn't even crank on the armbar at all (the gif is slowed down a lot compared to how quickly the action appears on screen).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of modern fight choreography has gotten quite good compared to what fight scenes looked like even a decade ago, but I hate it when they have a really small woman kickboxing the poo poo out of dudes twice her size.

I assume you also hate it when Tony Jaa kickboxes the poo poo out of Nathan Jones.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

fatherdog posted:

I assume you also hate it when Tony Jaa kickboxes the poo poo out of Nathan Jones.

Kung-Fu movies are kind of their own thing, with their own visual language, choreography, and physical logic. Films with a more naturalistic approach to violence do suffer when slight actors (male or female) with poor body mechanics are presented as physical juggernauts. With women it actually introduces a kind of misogynist subtext where it's a tacit acknowledgement that women can't be physically strong and capable, so why bother casting accordingly.

I also happen to really dislike when MMA techniques are incorporated into kung-fu movies, such as in Flash Point. The realistic techniques combined with the stylized flow of the choreography is just grating and visually far less interesting than choreography that sticks closer to its roots in wushu.

Tangentially related movie chat: Wing Chun is an awesome kung-fu movie starring Michelle Yeoh, if you have netflix streaming go watch it right this second.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 1, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Anyway, the most realistic fight scene in a movie, at least conceptually, is in Road Trip, in which the protagonist picks a fight with an unassuming guy who just happens to be a college wrestler and then gets his rear end kicked really badly.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The fight scenes were pretty cool, but they were brief and the long, uninteresting gaps between them made me not like that movie. I watched it to see Carano beating people up, not "acting." Needs more fights.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

that movie was pretty short and very tightly paced. Any less and you're basically watching youtube highlight clips.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It's really bad when they try to split the difference.

Kung Fu moves, then an armbar and a loud snap, then more loud kung fu moves ignoring the broken arm.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

It's really bad when they try to split the difference.

Kung Fu moves, then an armbar and a loud snap, then more loud kung fu moves ignoring the broken arm.

Those movies must be set in video games. Getting stabbed, thrown off a cliff, lit on fire...No visible damage, just lost health points.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Going to my second ever judo practice tonight. One of the things that became very obvious during my first session on Monday, besides the fact that I'm very out of shape, is that my gi is probably a full size too large for my height. The jacket is tolerable (a little long length-wise, though the sleeve length is perfect after a few washes), but my pants are probably 3 inches too long or so. It made doing some things a little more difficult than they should have been. Is it a major faux pax if I just roll the bottom of my gi pants a little bit for tonight until I can get them hemmed over the weekend?

Edit: Or if anyone has some sort of handy short-term solution so that I'm not walking on my pants all night, I'm all ears.

Schlitzkrieg Bop fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

Going to my second ever judo practice tonight. One of the things that became very obvious during my first session on Monday, besides the fact that I'm very out of shape, is that my gi is probably a full size too large for my height. The jacket is tolerable (a little long length-wise, though the sleeve length is perfect after a few washes), but my pants are probably 3 inches too long or so. It made doing some things a little more difficult than they should have been. Is it a major faux pax if I just roll the bottom of my gi pants a little bit for tonight until I can get them hemmed over the weekend?

Edit: Or if anyone has some sort of handy short-term solution so that I'm not walking on my pants all night, I'm all ears.

Not sure why you think anyone would care if you rolled up your pants. Just do that.

• Locked thread