Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Cool, stuff like this is exactly why I read this thread. It answers questions I never knew I had.

John McCain posted:

You'll need to acquire Blu-Ray Player software. It's proprietary and not included in Windows like DVD Player software is.

Are there any free programs that can do this? I bought the drive OEM so it didn't come with anything. It's support page on LG's website doesn't have anything. I've seen posts of people talking about AACS keys to get VLC to play encrypted blue rays, but I have no idea if that what I want or if its talking about :filez:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
There are some downed trees on my property, and I'd like to determine what kind of trees they are/were. Is there a way to do this without paying a tree expert to come out to my house and identify them? The web sites I've found don't look promising for a quick identification.

A couple of pics of each tree, if it helps:
http://imgur.com/a/YTGDC#Fl4ss7a

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Peristalsis posted:

There are some downed trees on my property, and I'd like to determine what kind of trees they are/were. Is there a way to do this without paying a tree expert to come out to my house and identify them? The web sites I've found don't look promising for a quick identification.

It'd help a lot if there were leaves. Do you have any pictures of trees nearby with the same bark?

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

It'd help a lot if there were leaves. Do you have any pictures of trees nearby with the same bark?

I'll have to check, but none of the deciduous trees have leaves yet (I'm in Wisconsin), so any living trees of the same type will look the same, only vertical.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
So, folks who know more about MS Office than me:

I can't view this .doc any larger than this. Nothing's working — I can't expand it on any of its sides, nor maximize it w/ the green + button. Nothing in the View menu is working, either.

What in the gently caress. I have ~10 .docs to deal with, and they're all like this.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

The SARS Volta posted:

So, folks who know more about MS Office than me:

I can't view this .doc any larger than this. Nothing's working — I can't expand it on any of its sides, nor maximize it w/ the green + button. Nothing in the View menu is working, either.

What in the gently caress. I have ~10 .docs to deal with, and they're all like this.

I'd recommend the mac thread, they'd probably be able to help a lot quicker.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Xenoborg posted:

Are there any free programs that can do this? I bought the drive OEM so it didn't come with anything. It's support page on LG's website doesn't have anything. I've seen posts of people talking about AACS keys to get VLC to play encrypted blue rays, but I have no idea if that what I want or if its talking about :filez:

Nope! Sony owns a patent on the process of decrypting blu-ray content, and you have to pay a licensing fee per copy of software that can decode blu-ray videos. Free software cannot do this.

Is it possible that the blu-ray drive came with software to play DVDs/Blu-Rays? Pretty much every forum says that blu-ray drives tend to come with a free copy of PowerDVD, which is capable of playing blu-ray content.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Are 3D movies actually something people actively seek out? Like, has anyone anywhere ever decided not to see a movie, but then heard it was in 3D and changed their mind?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Peristalsis posted:

I used this thing on a bunch of trees I have. Answer a bunch of yes no questions about the leaves and bark and it's supposed to make a good guess. If leaves aren't completely key to the equation it may help.

http://www.arborday.org/trees/whattree/?TrackingID=908

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 1, 2013

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Are 3D movies actually something people actively seek out? Like, has anyone anywhere ever decided not to see a movie, but then heard it was in 3D and changed their mind?

3D has "made" some movies, like Avatar, which would have been utterly unremarkable without it.

More cynically, movie ticket prices were stagnating. For a good decade, a movie ticket cost around $7-10, because moviegoers were completely unwilling to spend any more than this. If you make a movie 3D, however, you have an excuse to charge people $15+ to see it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gravity Pike posted:

Nope! Sony owns a patent on the process of decrypting blu-ray content, and you have to pay a licensing fee per copy of software that can decode blu-ray videos. Free software cannot do this.

Is it possible that the blu-ray drive came with software to play DVDs/Blu-Rays? Pretty much every forum says that blu-ray drives tend to come with a free copy of PowerDVD, which is capable of playing blu-ray content.

He said the drive was an OEM drive which is generally just the bare drive and nothing else. The price is lower but lacks things like bundled software.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

The Moon Monster posted:

I've decided to pay more to see a movie in 3D versus 2D. But if I didn't want to see a movie I wouldn't go just because it was in 3D.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Noni posted:

Wikipedia says the star would extend past the orbit of Jupiter and possibly Saturn. However, Neptune is widely considered to be the most affectionate of planets and would therefore be the most likely planet to develop a close bond with any star that would replace our Sun and simultaneously rid the system of Neptune's nemesis, Venus. Neptune is also a known fan of BBHs (big beautiful hypergiants) and regularly posts on Craigslist trying to get BBHs to come over and swing him around the solar system a bit.

Your replies always crack me up. You somehow manage to answer the question, and send it spiraling off into a derail that is still related enough to the original question to be hilarious.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Are literary questions okay too? In high school we read a ton of crap but sadly never got to Brave New World, and my teacher, who dissected every loving chapter of Pride and Prejudice, could probably answer, but why the hell didn't Linda leave the Savage reservation after she had John? Since there are no pregnant women in the wonderful city, no one would know why her body looked all beat up and would probably attribute it to being lost on the Reservation for so many months.

And with people constantly (I presume) going to see the 'zoo' of the Savages, wouldn't someone have seen the only white woman and boy there at some point in the twenty years they were there?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
She couldn't leave because of the electric death fence which stops the natives from leaving. And these zoos (more like reservations) are huge, and aren't a common destination because they're only for the elite, and only for the elite who want to go. It's a bit forced, but what are you going to do.

Diovanti
Aug 19, 2003
no afterlife
Someone was telling me that they were trying to market an idea for a video game system/software that would take characters from other companies games and convert them into fighting character sprites, so any character from any game could be in a mortal combat style fighting game. I think I've heard of this hype/scam before on the internet somewhere (maybe even here on SA.) I was wondering if anyone had heard of it as well and if so, point me to a link about it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Diovanti posted:

Someone was telling me that they were trying to market an idea for a video game system/software that would take characters from other companies games and convert them into fighting character sprites, so any character from any game could be in a mortal combat style fighting game. I think I've heard of this hype/scam before on the internet somewhere (maybe even here on SA.) I was wondering if anyone had heard of it as well and if so, point me to a link about it.

Sounds like MUGEN.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I'm interested in knowing my fasting blood glucose level. (I'm not diabetic or overweight, just curious.) The campus clinic will do this test for $15. A blood glucose meter on Amazon is the same price, and could presumably be used to cheaply retest at a later date. Is there any reason not to buy a meter?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Diovanti posted:

As Tiggum posted, it is most likely MUGEN. In short, anyone who has ever appeared in a 2D fighting game, and several hundred that were pulled from pop culture and hand created by fans/enthusiasts can be combined into a fighting game.

Since a lot of the content is user created, you get extreme peaks and valleys in terms of character quality. Some are just re-colored sprites imported from one existing game or another (Painting Spider-man all black to make Symbiote Spider-man); some are slight changes made to the appearance and move sets of existing characters (Turning Ryu into Goku); and some are hand done characters and animations for completely new characters (Peter Griffin for one).

Never really got into it myself, but I believe that there are probably huge resources where you can download and customize entire rosters, character select screens, arenas, life bar styles and mechanics (Tag systems, Super move bars, multi-stage bosses, etc.)

I only kind of doubt that someone would go through all the trouble of taking these same characters and giving them finishing moves ala Mortal Kombat. Everything else, certainly.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Captain von Trapp posted:

I'm interested in knowing my fasting blood glucose level. (I'm not diabetic or overweight, just curious.) The campus clinic will do this test for $15. A blood glucose meter on Amazon is the same price, and could presumably be used to cheaply retest at a later date. Is there any reason not to buy a meter?

I know my grandmother needed a prescription to buy the testing strips for the meter, so check that before you buy it. Otherwise I don't see why not, as long as you know what your levels should be to compare it to.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Home blood glucose meters are significantly less accurate than lab blood tests, up to 20% off.

Carbon Thief posted:

I know my grandmother needed a prescription to buy the testing strips for the meter, so check that before you buy it. Otherwise I don't see why not, as long as you know what your levels should be to compare it to.

You don't need a prescription to buy the testing strips, but they can be very expensive if you don't (a couple bucks each, which really adds up when you test your blood several times a day).

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I'm trying to figure out how to block a specific website subpage.

I have the url [ http://www.website.com/aa/designated-subpage/# ]

I want access to www.website.com to function, but I don't want to be able to access /designated-subpage/ at all.
I can't block it through my router software because there is a character limit of 22 and it doesn't read / characters.
I can't figure out how to block it specifically in Firefox (though ideally a way to prevent browser workarounds is better).
I can't get an adblock+ filter to work.

Is there a reasonable way to do this or would I be stuck having to do some kind of shenanigans with parental control software?

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 1, 2013

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Nighthand posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to block a specific website subpage.

I have the url [ http://www.website.com/aa/designated-subpage/ ]

I want access to https://www.website.com to function, but I don't want to be able to access /designated-subpage/ at all.
I can't block it through my router software because there is a character limit of 22 and it doesn't read / characters.
I can't figure out how to block it specifically in Firefox (though ideally a way to prevent browser workarounds is better).
I can't get an adblock+ filter to work.

Is there a reasonable way to do this or would I be stuck having to do some kind of shenanigans with parental control software?

The addon StayFocusd, aside from being an amazingly useful procrastination preventer, can block specific subpages.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

The Moon Monster posted:

I think there was a period after Avatar when this happened, but then there were too many lovely 3D movies (lovely even to people who liked Avatar) and people stopped caring.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Has anyone done any surveys on the average number of websites a person has registered/signed up for?

I think I'm over thirty/forty, starting when I first had regular access in the late 90s.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

User-Friendly posted:

The addon StayFocusd, aside from being an amazingly useful procrastination preventer, can block specific subpages.

I don't see a version for Firefox, which is what the PC this will be on is using. Leechblock, the firefox alternative I see, appears to need to be set manually to start.

The purpose of this is to prevent someone else from wasting money on a site with freemium games. Essentially I want to block the currency purchasing subpage without blocking access to the games.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Hi. A lot of times when TV shows are parodying politics, someone does a... thumb thing. It's like a half thumbs-up. Happened in Futurama (80s Guy episode, Fry does it), Stella (Michael Ian Black runs for president of the residence board), and I think in It's Always Sunny. Is this referencing a specific politician who did/does that?
PS: sorry for how vague that is.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

cowboythreespeech posted:

Hi. A lot of times when TV shows are parodying politics, someone does a... thumb thing. It's like a half thumbs-up. Happened in Futurama (80s Guy episode, Fry does it), Stella (Michael Ian Black runs for president of the residence board), and I think in It's Always Sunny. Is this referencing a specific politician who did/does that?

Bill Clinton did that gesture and is pretty widely known for it, if we're thinking of the same thing.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Are you talking about when they're holding a pen? That was a Bob Dole thing, he held it because his hand was messed up from his stroke. Otherwise BobTheCow is probably right.

uptown
May 16, 2009
I use a Mac and Safari is my internet browser. Every time I sign into Skype, I get logged out of Facebook. I've tested this, so I know for sure it's Skype. Any ideas why, or how to stop it?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

uptown posted:

I use a Mac and Safari is my internet browser. Every time I sign into Skype, I get logged out of Facebook. I've tested this, so I know for sure it's Skype. Any ideas why, or how to stop it?

Skype uses port 80 by default, the same as HTTP. It does this to get around firewalls, since basically every firewall is going to let internet traffic through by default. Open skype. Go to Tools, Options, Connections, change the port.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

deleted

Shy fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 3, 2013

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

BobTheCow posted:

Bill Clinton did that gesture and is pretty widely known for it, if we're thinking of the same thing.

Yeah, this

You are correct. Apparently, he adapted it from JFK. Thanks for the info. (You too, Raoul)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

So, some people really like bidets. They say it makes you super-clean. But doesn't spraying water on your butthole guarantee that you'll get poo particles spread around the area as it's dripping off? It's not like a bidet is a poop magnet that sucks germs, it's just a sloppy hose-down.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Mescal posted:

So, some people really like bidets. They say it makes you super-clean. But doesn't spraying water on your butthole guarantee that you'll get poo particles spread around the area as it's dripping off? It's not like a bidet is a poop magnet that sucks germs, it's just a sloppy hose-down.

Why do you think that one would just spray water on their rear end in a top hat and leave it there without wiping it up? Is diarrhea your only mode?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

TATPants posted:

Why do you think that one would just spray water on their rear end in a top hat and leave it there without wiping it up? Is diarrhea your only mode?

Of course you'd wipe after. But do bidet folks wipe before as well? That would seem to undo the supposed advantage of less abrasion. Sorry if my bathroom ignorance is disgusting!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Yeah, this

You are correct. Apparently, he adapted it from JFK. Thanks for the info. (You too, Raoul)

It's supposed to convey power and confidence without all of the potential negative connotation that come with bigger gestures like pointing, a thumbs up, or a regular closed fist. I actually think it works pretty well.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is there a real or slang term for not being able to recognize any songs from having never listened to them? There's illiteracy for not being able to read, innumeracy for not really being able to do math... what for having no musical knowledge?

You could freak yourself out firing the jab needle at yourself. I have an unused glucometer and a bunch of test strips if you want them -- it is a pretty nice model. I can prob ship them for $5. I don't need them anymore -- my poor cat succumbed to cancer.

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
Do people in America/other countries really wear shoes inside the house? Aren't you afraid of getting dirt and stuff from outside all over the inside of the house? Or do you have a pair of house shoes that you wear inside the house? In that case, what kind of shoes would be used for house shoes? I live in Canada and noone I know wears shoes inside the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
In my experience there isn't a strong consensus on shoes in houses in the US, but usually no, I think.