Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Just now noticed that the label is a different color from the panel underneath it, too. Clever and subtle.

Can't wait to see how this all backfires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The latest comic seems to suggest that the current aliens are born female but can become male.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Not-Plume doesn't even freak out anymore when his plans fail. :allears:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

The latest comic seems to suggest that the current aliens are born female but can become male.

I'm guessing the transformation to malehood is triggered by changes in social status, so a very successful female becomes a male.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm guessing the transformation to malehood is triggered by changes in social status, so a very successful female becomes a male.

Hence why husbands don't want their wives to become successful - something Not-Plume's owner assumed even he knew.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That would also explain why the man who owns the art gallery hasn't shown any signs of misdirection or disrespect toward Extension Cord.
Since he's not her husband, he'd lose nothing by her becoming male.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
We've got some serious eye-color changing going on in this newest strip.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The best thing about the aliens in this comic is that they all seem to be some kind of social commentery. Done in the most hilarious and interesting way possible. :allears:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The comedian wife has started to grow tufts of hair on her ears. We first met her here, compare with her ears now. Script wife, painter wife and sculpter wife have smooth ears too.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The statues doing heroic things like breaking poo poo all have afros on their ears. Like so:
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/thorsby/spacespy/series.php?view=archive&chapter=52346&name=spacespy

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, they are doing the opposite of what they are supposed to. I guess in the best case scenario they are bought by one of the lad-... Men they just helped?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm interested in seeing if it's a one-way transformation or if it can be reversed.

It's all guys killing guys on those paintings and statues, right? We know that the wives hate each-other. If they all become male, this could likely end in a bloodbath.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

my dad posted:

I'm interested in seeing if it's a one-way transformation or if it can be reversed.

It's all guys killing guys on those paintings and statues, right? We know that the wives hate each-other. If they all become male, this could likely end in a bloodbath.

I wouldn't be surprised if the husband ends up turning into a chick - maybe its like their testosterone is connected to their confidence?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my dad posted:

It's all guys killing guys on those paintings and statues, right?

Guys killing guys, and also monsters. (It seems pretty much all the fauna on this planet has these wraparound cylindrical mouths.) I think it's less "guys can't stand each others" and more a celebration of machismo. There's also artwork depicting non-combat feats, at least one sculpture shows a datima bending a metal bar.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
MY WIFE'S TURNING INTO A MAN AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

This page is pretty good even if you've already figured out what's going on.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
This arc is great. It seemed like a typical Thorsby farce, but it's also a mystery story. The mystery being: what's the gimmick?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 15, 2013

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

BiggerJ posted:

This arc is great. It seemed like a typical Thorsby farce, but it's also a mystery story. The mystery being: what's the gimmick?

That's what I love about his writing, every new planet is a puzzle.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
My guess is that their ears/the hairs are their genitals, not just indicators of sex. Some of the datimas we've seen don't wear pants, like Chance Disc Flipper, and there doesn't seem to be anything down there.

edit: Speaking of Chance Disc, in case you forgot, she told a joke about gender politics and hair trimmers that could probably shed some light on datima sexuality. We don't know what "gamblerist" and "secureist" mean yet, but it seems to lead to the sister becoming too arrogant and confident, so they need a hair trimmer to cut her down.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 15, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Sounds like a guy datima's life is easy to ruin.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Explicit confirmation that for these aliens, patriarchal oppression of the women is a biological imperative.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm curious as to how they keep it a secret from the women so that they don't figure out that they're being sabotaged and manipulated by their husbands, do women just not get it until they become men or is there a huge conspiracy that all of them are let in on upon becoming male?

If it's a conspiracy, Dunkirk and Not-Plume might end up destroying another planet.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
Well this new comic is certainly...something. :stare:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Bvonntars are cute. :3:

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
The Jyrs reminded me of that other planet where the species had some giant pole thing growing out of their backs and they served whoever didn't have theirs cut off.

That arc was great because the whole time Not-Plume and Dunkirk were being called spies so it ended up being a self-fulfilling prophecy.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 25, 2013

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

dipwood posted:

The Jyrs reminded me of that other planet where the species had some giant pole thing growing out of their backs and they served whoever didn't have theirs cut off.

That arc was great because the whole time Not-Plume and Dunkirk were being called spies so it ended up being a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Yeah, the Castration Planet, which was incredibly funny, and I think also one of the first planets.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Well, that plan didn't work

:wink:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm sure this would be funny if we knew anything about Gamblerists.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Unguided posted:

I'm sure this would be funny if we knew anything about Gamblerists.

Maybe gamblerist jokes are just like racist jokes?
Anyway, that's it. There are no hair tufts for some reason, but if she's really a guy now, I bet we're close to the end of this planet.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Another successful plan!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow, that was fast.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I wonder if Not-Plume, aka Ben Stamper, will break the record held by one Mike Nelson. He destroyed three planets!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BiggerJ posted:

I wonder if Not-Plume, aka Ben Stamper, will break the record held by one Mike Nelson. He destroyed three planets!

How many planets has ~Plume actually destroyed? He probably made the best loving planet ever even loving better.

edit: ~Plume and Dunkirk finally caught up with their Macguffin, looks like the series is probably drawing to a close.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 6, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Oh poo poo look who showed up.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So, mission accidentally complete? Now they just need to get away from this planet, with the third slave.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I love how well Thorsby portrays annoyance in such minimalistic art.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Sizone posted:

How many planets has ~Plume actually destroyed? He probably made the best loving planet ever even loving better.

edit: ~Plume and Dunkirk finally caught up with their Macguffin, looks like the series is probably drawing to a close.

There's still a big climax coming - Athena Mockhoney got her hands on one of the most potentially dangerous secrets in the universe: the one true unified reason for war.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 7, 2013

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I just figured Gamblerists were some sort of professional gamblers. Possibly something similar to stock brokers. I'd also hazard a guess that there's a whole 'luck based' subsector. I mean, the 'Chance Disc Flipper' as a name and all that.

Kind of like how the story seems consistent, at least so far. Like how the audience simulator was clearly sabotaged. I noticed that it seemed off, and was likely not the power supply. I didn't expect it to be the husband that sabotaged it. At least not until the biology pages.

I think we're going to (eventually) find out Dunkirk knew from the start that Not-Plume wasn't Plume, even before picking him up. I mean he was awfully eager to kill Plume. And trying his hardest to make sure as few people knew as possible that Not-Plume was not Plume.

Basically needing someone who is thought to be Plume, in order to manipulate things later on. Hell, he probably even set down the suitcase in the first place. I mean it's clear now that Plume couldn't have left it there, since he wasn't even on the planet. And knocked Not-Plume out so that he couldn't say he's not actually Plume. And gave him the story of 'Hey, you're going to die if you tell anyone that you're not Plume.' I mean, Dunkirk seems to come up with solutions in the nick of time, if he has to. Though he probably does put his survival higher than having Not-Plume acting as Plume that he can manipulate fairly easily.

He might actually know more about the planets than he lets on/admits to. Though there's clearly large gaps in his knowledge.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Woah, Limbchoosers are worth a lot.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Being a limbchooser must be great on the Sling's World, you just plop some limbs off your limbfeeder and sell it away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Well if you get a permit maybe. But it looks like it's not common knowledge that you need a permit to go there. Hell, it might not even be possible to get a permit without going on planet. In which case, trying to get a permit results in you becoming a slave.

• Locked thread