Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

A new batch of kiwi and persimmon will be out this year, you should get tickets to Sour Wild Funk Fest (which happens in May) down in Indianapolis. Last year with your ticket you had the ability to purchase a bottle of blackberry and raspberry, a tasting glass, unlimited pours and food pairings for around $30. It's definitely a good time, we'll be going again this year.

Good to know! If you happen to find out when tickets go onsale for this, do let me know. After tasting Gilgamesh and Blackberry I'm very excited to try more of Upland's sour offerings, and not having to give up my cellar would be a nice bonus...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

crazyfish posted:

Good to know! If you happen to find out when tickets go onsale for this, do let me know. After tasting Gilgamesh and Blackberry I'm very excited to try more of Upland's sour offerings, and not having to give up my cellar would be a nice bonus...

Ditto, I'd love to go to something like this. I've only had Gilgamesh from Upland but it was a fabulous beer, I got a bottle in a trade recently so I'll have to think of a choice time to open it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

crazyfish posted:

Saturday, May 11th, no other info but they're pretty good about announcing events and bottle releases on their e-mail list.

http://uplandbeer.com/

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

as the resident guy who talks about Hardywood the most, the popular opinion around town is that bottled Bourbon GBS is far inferior to draft. i've only had draft and liked it much more than the regular version, but i'm honestly not a huge fan of GBS to begin with, so grain of salt and all that. interestingly (perhaps), i had more people trying to get the regular version though trade than the BA version, maybe word got around?

oh, and those same people feel that bottled GBS is better than draft, go figure. also, having finally tried BCBS on draft, i have to say i prefer it out of a bottle, it's much more mellow that way.

Bourbon Sidamo is the same way, not great in bottle but good on draft. The only difference I can think of would be the carbonation.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Garregus posted:

Bourbon Sidamo is the same way, not great in bottle but good on draft. The only difference I can think of would be the carbonation.

...and not ten minutes ago did i learn that the Cameron Diaz-looking girl filled my growler with raspberry stout instead. bummed.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER is a cool dude and The Commons Brewery makes good beer.

That is all.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

That is all.

I can confirm both of these things.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Yesterday was a beer-filled adventure. I went to a barleywine festival and got to try a few I haven't had before. Mostly good. Some godawful.

The best of the day was Troeg's Flying Mouflan. It had definitely been cellared a bit because the hops had mostly vanished. What was left was a nicely balanced amber. The alcohol was extremely well hidden. Buy two bottles of this when you see it. Open one immediately and save one for 6 months. Completely different beers. Awesome stuff.

Allagash Odyssey was good, but honestly it tasted like a boozier version of Allagash White. Maybe it's just me but I feel like all of their beers have the same flavor profile. Which isn't bad, but it's not particularly interesting. I felt a little let down by this one, but it was still very good.

I was most surprised by the Dogfish Head Old School. I went into it thinking it was going to be another weird DFH creation, but it was surprisingly good. Very straightforward. Very drinkable. I'll probably buy a bottle for my cellar.

Nothing else good really stood out for me. But there were a few bad experiences.

I didn't really like Killer Penguin. It was too syrupy and sweet. Like Maple Syrup gone wrong. My girlfriend really liked it though, which really confuses me since I think she normally has great taste in beer. Or maybe I'm wrong on this one.

However, this was nothing compared to the worst of the day: Stone Oak Smoked Old Guardian. What an awful beer. And I mean awful. Like, I've never actually had a beer that I'd call undrinkable and been unable to finish until I had this yesterday. And it was just a taster. The smoke was too heavy and almost artificial. Ugh. It tasted like liquid bacon. And not in the way that would be appetizing. I took three sips over the span of an hour or so and ended up dumping the rest. Everyone we talked to agreed it was one of the worst things they've ever tasted.

But even after all that, the best thing I drank all day yesterday was after we left the barley wine behind, we went out for lunch and I had a glass of Local Option Bourbon Barrel Aged Kentucky Common. So good. So so good. I'd say it was near perfect. I need to find bottles of it.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 31, 2013

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

That is all.

Did you guys go to that farmhouse beer fest yesterday?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

HatfulOfHollow posted:

However, this was nothing compared to the worst of the day: Stone Oak Smoked Old Guardian. What an awful beer. And I mean awful. Like, I've never actually had a beer that I'd call undrinkable and been unable to finish until I had this yesterday. And it was just a taster. The smoke was too heavy and almost artificial. Ugh. It tasted like liquid bacon. And not in the way that would be appetizing. I took three sips over the span of an hour or so and ended up dumping the rest. Everyone we talked to agreed it was one of the worst things they've ever tasted.

My sincere condolences about your dead taste buds. Kidding, mostly.

Some people are just digging the hell out of the oak smoked version. I think it's pretty decent, should be better in a year or so, but I'd never call it one of the worst things I've ever tasted. If it were a more "extreme" version of what they made it'd creep into unbalanced old ale territory, which I'm not down with. Do you like the regular OG?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

wattershed posted:

Do you like the regular OG?

I actually got the chance to try some fresh Old Guardian on Friday, and I didn't like it very much at all. It was way too hot, and I found it to be even more hoppy than fresh Bigfoot. I'm sure it will taste great with a few years on it, but I don't think I'll try it fresh again.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I was in a restaurant in Slovakia the other week, and on the table next to us, one guy ordered a dark/black beer. The waitress brought small horseshoe (about an inch in diameter) on a stick, heated it almost glowing red with those kitchen burners used for creme brulee, and then stuck in the beer for a couple of seconds. It made a loud hiss, and the waitress was off.

What kind of practice is this? What beer? What does it achieve in terms of flavor? Anyone have more info?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

wattershed posted:

My sincere condolences about your dead taste buds. Kidding, mostly.

Some people are just digging the hell out of the oak smoked version. I think it's pretty decent, should be better in a year or so, but I'd never call it one of the worst things I've ever tasted. If it were a more "extreme" version of what they made it'd creep into unbalanced old ale territory, which I'm not down with. Do you like the regular OG?

I've never had regular OG, but I love smoke flavor. My favorite scotch is Lagavulin and I love rauchbier. But this was just over the top and almost artificial tasting.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'm having my first authentic Berliner Weisse, Fritz 1809 Berliner Style Weisse. I was expecting something very tart here, but it's only a mild tart. I am a sucker for green apples and that's what I taste and smell here. This is very nice. The production in the description seems pretty interesting too:

quote:

Created by Dr. Fritz Briem of Doemens Institute, brewed by Weihenstephan & Doemens (ed: Weihenstephan denies this), “1809” is a very traditional interpretation of the “Berliner Style” Weisse with an intense blend of lactic tartness and complex fruitiness. It is bottle-conditioned, unfiltered and unpasteurized. "1809" will age beautifully in a dark and cool location. Its complex fruitiness and tartness will most likely develop in quite astonishing ways. “1809” is fermented in traditional open fermenters and horizontal lager tanks. The applied mashing regime is a single step decoction mash with 50 % wheat malt.The total amount of hops is added to the mash so that isomerisation takes place in the decocotion part of the mash. The wort is not boiled but only heated up to boiling temperature and then transferred to the open fermenters and pitched with yeast and lactic acid bacteria (isolated from malt) at 18 °C (64°F).

I certainly would like to try more Berliner Weisses now, can anyone recommend any in this vain?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Midorka posted:

I certainly would like to try more Berliner Weisses now, can anyone recommend any in this vain?

I too recently had my first Berliner Weisse. I first tried Oarsman Ale by Bell's, and then ended up buying a bottle of 1809 about a week later. I found 1809 to be far better than the Oarsman Ale, although I did enjoy Oarsman. I think 1809 is the best regularly available Berliner Weisse. Funky Buddha Lounge and Cigar City make fruity Berliner Weisse's from time to time, although they're only available in FL as far as I know.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

OperaMouse posted:

I was in a restaurant in Slovakia the other week, and on the table next to us, one guy ordered a dark/black beer. The waitress brought small horseshoe (about an inch in diameter) on a stick, heated it almost glowing red with those kitchen burners used for creme brulee, and then stuck in the beer for a couple of seconds. It made a loud hiss, and the waitress was off.

What kind of practice is this? What beer? What does it achieve in terms of flavor? Anyone have more info?

A local brewery near me called Schells offers this at their Oktoberfest event. It's supposed to caramelize more sugars to enhance the flavor, but most likely it just decarbonates your beer and warms it up.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

HatfulOfHollow posted:

But even after all that, the best thing I drank all day yesterday was after we left the barley wine behind, we went out for lunch and I had a glass of Local Option Bourbon Barrel Aged Kentucky Common. So good. So so good. I'd say it was near perfect. I need to find bottles of it.

Completely agree here. Unfortunately, it isn't bottled. I would buy cases of the stuff if it were.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Kudosx posted:

I too recently had my first Berliner Weisse. I first tried Oarsman Ale by Bell's, and then ended up buying a bottle of 1809 about a week later. I found 1809 to be far better than the Oarsman Ale, although I did enjoy Oarsman. I think 1809 is the best regularly available Berliner Weisse. Funky Buddha Lounge and Cigar City make fruity Berliner Weisse's from time to time, although they're only available in FL as far as I know.

CCB's One Percenter is pretty good when they make it, and as you can imagine it is very, very sessionable (1% refers to its alcohol content).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I gave New Belgium Rampant a second chance and I'm enjoying it much more. Pretty respectable DIPA, dangerously drinkable for 8.5%.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Enjoying Victory V12. It's very, very smooth for a 12% beer with almost no burn at the end. Very smooth, almost tastes BA'd. Nice and caramel-y up front, sort of dark fruity, almost chocolatey notes on the nose. The finish is, as said before, smooth and has almost a honey sweetness that makes me imagine the beer was aged in an old Aberfeldy cask. Quite solid but not amazing, might go back and pick up a bottle for the cellar because I think I got the bomber for $9.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

That is all.

Aw thank you :downs:

And yeah that place is rad. It's all subtle farm-y stuff in a way that you don't get elsewhere in OR at all. Reminds me of the less crazy/experimental stuff Funkwerks does.

There were like 3-4 beer festivals in Portland this weekend but I didn't go to any of 'em.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Kudosx posted:

Yeah none of those breweries make it up here, outside of some Cigar City, but I don't think the Berliner Weisses do. I know Weyerbacher is releasing one soon, I'll have to try that.

@Eejit, V12 is great. It's a really underrated American quad, one of the better ones I'd say.

I'm drinking a t Smisje Calva Reserva and this is borderline a drain pour. This tastes like harsh apple brandy with a load of brown sugar.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Midorka posted:

I'm having my first authentic Berliner Weisse, Fritz 1809 Berliner Style Weisse. I was expecting something very tart here, but it's only a mild tart. I am a sucker for green apples and that's what I taste and smell here. This is very nice. The production in the description seems pretty interesting too:

Where in NJ are you? If you're anywhere near Philadelphia you should be able to find Round Guys Berlinerweiss. I've been singing the praises of Round Guys for a while. They're small but every beer I've had of theirs has been quite tasty. Their berliner is really funky on the nose, but it's surprisingly lemony and smooth. Especially good if you can get it with raspberry syrup.

I just checked Philly Tap Finder and it's currently on tap at 4 bars around the city. So I'm guessing it's probably outside the city as well.

http://phillytapfinder.com/beer/round-guys-berlinerweisster/

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Enjoying Victory V12. It's very, very smooth for a 12% beer with almost no burn at the end. Very smooth, almost tastes BA'd. Nice and caramel-y up front, sort of dark fruity, almost chocolatey notes on the nose. The finish is, as said before, smooth and has almost a honey sweetness that makes me imagine the beer was aged in an old Aberfeldy cask. Quite solid but not amazing, might go back and pick up a bottle for the cellar because I think I got the bomber for $9.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Eejit posted:

:allears: tell me again.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

the yellow dart posted:

:allears: tell me again.

I like buying mediocre, over-hyped beer. What can I say, that's basically why I moved to Colorado. It's the Napa Valley of Beer after all.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
I was up in Canada for a concert over the weekend, went to a couple of the liquor/beer stores in Toronto and grabbed Ölvisholt Brugghús Lava and Muskoka Spring Oddity on a whim because I had never seen them in the states, and an Icelandic beer seemed pretty cool (also I was seeing Sigur Ros). Pretty excited to try both of them with those ratings, I wish I had grabbed extra bottles.

Can't try them yet though because I've been miserably congested, had a Dupont Biere de Miel while I was there and I could barely even taste it. I grabbed a 750 of the Dupont Cervesia and I'm glad I waited to try that one too.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

dphi posted:

Did you guys go to that farmhouse beer fest yesterday?

No, just the tasting room at The Commons.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Aw thank you :downs:

And yeah that place is rad. It's all subtle farm-y stuff in a way that you don't get elsewhere in OR at all. Reminds me of the less crazy/experimental stuff Funkwerks does.

There were like 3-4 beer festivals in Portland this weekend but I didn't go to any of 'em.

The Commons has some overlap with Upright, Logsdon, and Pfriem, but they have definitely carved out their own niche for sure. I was disappointed that they didn't have Flemish Kiss on tap which is my favorite beer they make.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Eejit posted:

I like buying mediocre, over-hyped beer. What can I say, that's basically why I moved to Colorado. It's the Napa Valley of Beer after all.

He's saying you posted twice.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

OperaMouse posted:

Caramelization and malliard reactions?

I found a pretty interesting history of "mulled ale": http://www.oldandinteresting.com/ale-warmers.aspx

Website posted:

Men drinking in an inn or at home by the hearth didn't necessarily want to wait for someone in the kitchen to warm up ale or flip in a pan. They used a hot poker from the fire.

It also seems to be a thing at Schell Bock Fest's in Minnesota - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1iZNU_14ZA

Schell Bock Fest posted:

One of the festive rituals of Bock Fest is the poking of the beer with a red-hot iron, laid among fiery logs logs until glowing hot.

The bock beer is caramelized by a plunge with a hot iron poker, and can be a warming, even restorative beverage as the snow begins to swirl around you.

Sounds pretty good.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Midorka posted:

He's saying you posted twice.

Ahhhhh okay. The beer may have, erm, impaired my ability to rationally operate the forums.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I'm drinking a glass of Local Option Bourbon Barrel Aged Kentucky Common. I just wanted to make sure I remembered it correctly since I was several glasses of barley wine deep last time. I was not wrong with my original assessment. This beer is thick and rich. It has an awesome mouth feel with a great toffee and tart cherry flavor. Nice dry finish. A little bit of citrus. This is one of the best sours I've ever had. I'm going to get a glass every day until they run out. I wish this was bottled. I would buy it by the case with zero hesitation

nah
Mar 16, 2009

the yellow dart posted:

CCB's One Percenter is pretty good when they make it, and as you can imagine it is very, very sessionable (1% refers to its alcohol content).

We make another Berliner called Stiftung. It's about 3% ABV and incredibly crushable.

Rumor has it we may be the first brewery to can a Berliner. But those are just...rumors...:ninja:

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
Went to a tasting party this past Saturday as my one reprieve from the booze hiatus while my wife is pregnant. We tasted out the following:

2006 Brooklyn Schneider Hopfen-Weiss
2008 DFH Immort Ale
2005 Homebrew Kolsch (as a joke really, but not undrinkable)
2008 Stone IRS
2010 ODell Avant Peche
2010 Goose Island Nightstalker
2008 Goose Island Saison de Midi
2013 Revolution 3rd Year Beer

The saison was the highlight of the night for me, it was light and clean and a little herbal with a touch of the funky yeast aromatics that you want to have with a good saison. I can't call the Odell the highlight (because I brought it) but it was amazing with the bourbon lava cakes that my buddy's wife made.

Nothing was undrinkable (which is a surprise due to the 8 year old Kolsch that came out of the fridge), I need to get a hold of the Revolution 3rd year beer, because that'll be amazing in a few months.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

How was the DFH Immort? I think it smells like burnt rubber/plastic and is rather awful fresh.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I've really gotten into session beers as of recent. For a long time, I loved drinking strong beers, but now I enjoy being able to drink three-four beers and still have my senses.

Have any of you tried Victory's Swing yet? I was going to pick some up this weekend, but ended up just grabbing a six pack of Founder's All Day. I can't wait for Lagunitas's Daytime to hit the shelves around me again, I really want to give their session IPA a chance.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

BoredByThis posted:

Nothing was undrinkable (which is a surprise due to the 8 year old Kolsch that came out of the fridge), I need to get a hold of the Revolution 3rd year beer, because that'll be amazing in a few months.

The brewery taproom was out of them when I was there last, but I've seen bottles floating around on shelves.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Picked up 2 growlers from New England Brewing Company in Woodbridge, CT this week. Had their Ghandi Bot and some 668. I love this place, and it's right outside New Haven.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
so, since it's the time of the year certain people get real excited about KBS and other people get real tired of hearing about KBS... one of our local Total Wine locations has posted a notice:

quote:

To be fair to all customers, we are going to release the beer on Saturday April 6th. The first 30 people in line at 11am will receive a ticket. The beer will go on sale at noon. There will be a 2 bottle limit per person. There will be beer tastings available from 10:30am until noon. We will not reserve bottles, tickets, or spots in line.

seems like both overkill and a bad precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

funkybottoms posted:

so, since it's the time of the year certain people get real excited about KBS and other people get real tired of hearing about KBS... one of our local Total Wine locations has posted a notice:

seems like both overkill and a bad precedent.

A local store posted on Facebook that they were only going to allow their "core" customers to purchase KBS because they were mad people would come into their store and ask for the high-profile releases without bothering to browse/buy anything else. I have no idea how they planned to identify their core customers, I guess just the people they recognized?? They got a few comments telling them how dumb that was and then deleted the entire post.