Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
That shows what I know about the French language. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Actually the city names in the French-occupied bit of Germany are weird. They're literal translations of the German names, not the names actually used in French (those are mostly just the original names, sometimes spelled a bit differently). I guess the map's maker really hates all things German.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why is Austria not marked as Österreich?

Also, Great Netherlands looks like normal Netherlands with a horrific tumor :ohdear:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

GreenCard78 posted:

Are the French names in their English corruptions of French? At least France itself?

Aix-La-Chapelle, Francfort, Mayence, Fribourg are correct French names, others like "Charlesrepot" or "Sarreponts" are wrong.

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask

System Metternich posted:

A map of Bouvet Island, an uninhabitated island off the coast of Antarctica that for some bizarre reason belongs to Norway.

Not bizarre. Lots of Norwegian whalers were whaling whales in the south Atlantic when there were no whales left in the north.

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.

Kurtofan posted:

Aix-La-Chapelle, Francfort, Mayence, Fribourg are correct French names, others like "Charlesrepot" or "Sarreponts" are wrong.

Whoever made the map changed the German place names to whatever language the other countries use, but not very well. The "Dutch" place names for German cities are wrong as well, e.g. the Dutch name for Dortmund is Dortmond, not Daarmond.

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

A map of Bouvet Island, an uninhabitated island off the coast of Antarctica that for some bizarre reason belongs to Norway.

The best thing about Bouvet Island is that it somehow has its own country code TLD, .bv, although no one is allowed to use it.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

ekuNNN posted:

Why is Austria not marked as Österreich?

Also, Great Netherlands looks like normal Netherlands with a horrific tumor :ohdear:

The Austrians are now Italians, like the ones in South Tirol , no more Germans ever.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

prefect posted:

What language is that map in? Is every country labeled using their native languages? That was my first guess, but the seas don't belong to any one nation, so I'm not sure what the standard is.
The Danish part is all wrong, like apparently some of the others are as well. Flensburg would just be Flensborg (I'm assuming some confusion in regards to the German use of V as F?), Kiel would just be Kiel (and not this weird bastardization of the English name for the fjord it resides in), and Lübeck could be transliterated to Lybæk (even if Lübeck would work fine). Maybe Lübeck is actually supposed to be Polish here, don't know if Lobek makes sense there, though that would be taking it out of its current state of Schleswig-Holstein for no reason. (Well, not that cutting up Germany make sense, but you know.)

Hamborg is correct though, so there's that at least. Pretty sure it wasn't a Dane that made the map at least, perhaps more so because we just got back our kings' old territory, while everyone else is just spilling out all over the place. Maybe an Italian given the names in Austria?

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe

twoday posted:

Wrap it up, Germanailures

So the Dutch offered the French the city of Aachen ("Aix-la-Chapelle") under the requirement that they'd have to move the whole place 50km to the south?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Schisser posted:

So the Dutch offered the French the city of Aachen ("Aix-la-Chapelle") under the requirement that they'd have to move the whole place 50km to the south?

Mighty generous of them.

Though I can't see why the French would want all that extra land beyond the Rhine.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

If I remember correctly, that map was published in a German satirical magazine in response to anti-German sentiment in Germany.

For an actual plan to divide up Germany there is always the Morgenthau Plan. Unfortunately, Wikipedia only has maps that look like they were made in MS Paint and are difficult to read.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 1, 2013

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Here is a German version:

Also, I love this:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

twoday posted:

Here is a German version:

That's really just a German reproduction of a Jewish-American's (Theodore Newman Kaufman, the guy in the top left) idea for Germany's fate, map included. His basic idea seems to have been that since Germany was a perpetual disturber of the peace, the sterilization of the German people and the dismemberment of Germany was the only real solution to a nation of homicidal maniacs. Talk about handing the Nazis their propaganda on a platter.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

twoday posted:

This is hurting my brain

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
And Hungary is still getting stiffed on ethnic Hungarian regions in Novi Sad and at the Slovakian border.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

twoday posted:

What's the context of this map? Was this part of a historical plan, or is it just anti-German dreaming or what?

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

twoday posted:

Also, I love this:

Can't figure out if the two cottages represented near Missouri are supposed to be the Cahokia mounds, or if St. Louis was planned on being bombed to the ground to the point of nothing left. Not really sure why, in the case of aeronautics we've got Scott AFB close by, Lambert Airport (a huge regional airport), and a bunch of research and industrial capabilities both for civilian and defense purposes. Not to mention our totally bitchin' Gateway Arch, would could be then renamed at the Tokugawa Imperial Expansion Memorial. (real name of the Arch is the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, I suppose it'd be a welcome change for the Japanese Empire)

edit: Also, why is Chicago *west* of Minnesota?

Bastaman Vibration fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 1, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

twoday posted:

Also, I love this:

That looks too much like China to be a coincidence.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

dinoputz posted:

Can't figure out if the two cottages represented near Missouri are supposed to be the Cahokia mounds, or if St. Louis was planned on being bombed to the ground to the point of nothing left. Not really sure why, in the case of aeronautics we've got Scott AFB close by, Lambert Airport (a huge regional airport), and a bunch of research and industrial capabilities both for civilian and defense purposes. Not to mention our totally bitchin' Gateway Arch, would could be then renamed at the Tokugawa Imperial Expansion Memorial. (real name of the Arch is the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, I suppose it'd be a welcome change for the Japanese Empire)

edit: Also, why is Chicago *west* of Minnesota?

It's also a gigantic dystopian factory city, which isn't terribly far from the truth in some wards, though I just checked out my window and was unable to locate bladerunner tower.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chicago was a big hub for North American flights to/from Japan so it isn't surprising that that might have warped impressions of travelers who passed through it, of course the whole map is a bad joke so who knows.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

dinoputz posted:

Also, why is Chicago *west* of Minnesota?
For the same reason Atlanta is in Florida.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The map is like that because its from an RPG, jeez guys. You know what they like. Tengai Makyou: Daishi no Mokushiroku, or the "Fourth Apocalypse".

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's also a gigantic dystopian factory city, which isn't terribly far from the truth in some wards, though I just checked out my window and was unable to locate bladerunner tower.

We need to build that tower, like now

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Muscle Tracer posted:

What's the context of this map? Was this part of a historical plan, or is it just anti-German dreaming or what?

If I remember correctly, that map was published in a German satirical magazine in response to anti-German sentiment in Germany.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Farecoal posted:

We need to build that tower, like now

The Willis tower's brutalism isn't good enough for you. :(

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
There are 2 Carlsbad Caverns on that map, maybe one is an entrance and the other is an exit...

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Dang how did they find out about the top secret Ice Tower.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Ardennes posted:

What the gently caress :getout:

No really :getout:

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
From googling "how sees the world"

"How God sees the world"

I remember this on the stands :cool:

Have a link

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

In 1954 Leopold Kohr, Austrian political scientist and self described philosophical anarchist, published The Breakup of Nations. The book protested what he called the "cult of bigness". There is a general desire for expansion and Kohr argued that all the world's problems could be traced back to one power becoming too powerful. The division of the United States was perfect as no one state was large enough to dominate the others or cause much harm.

To illustrate his ideas, he drew an idealized version of Europe based strongly on US borders. This, in his mind, was what Europe should strive for:

He realized, however, that dividing Europe into rectangular states would clash with the ‘tribal’ makeup of the continent’s culturally diverse peoples. He proposed the following borders:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ardennes posted:

The Sears Tower is International Style.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

I'm sure you think it's bizarre that Norway claims 1/6th of Antarctica as well :norway:

e; a map of Antarctica have probably already been posted, but just in case:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 1, 2013

twoday
May 4, 2005

While there are many bases in Antarctica, most of them have been built with total disregard for territorial claims, and just for scientific interests, but Chile has bases built there for the sole purpose of making it seem like normal Chilean cities, with 1000+ residents, including children and schools for those children, and grants citizenship to anyone born there. Nevertheless the people there have to live in 6-month shifts, to keep them humane.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can't believe that North Korea or Turkmenistan or someone else hasn't already jumped on the unclaimed zone.

withak fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 2, 2013

twoday
May 4, 2005

I think that these claims were made before a UN treaty banning further claims and declaring it a neutral territory, so I think these countries are all just sitting on these earlier claims and waiting for that treaty to be abolished.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Dusseldorf posted:

The Sears Tower is International Style.

Imagine a skyscraper made out of beige/tan concrete.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Why would Taiwan consider America an Evil Empire? Aren't we the ones who sell them all their weapons so Big China can't just waltz in there?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Why would Taiwan consider America an Evil Empire? Aren't we the ones who sell them all their weapons so Big China can't just waltz in there?

Turns out that crazy-rear end nationalists generally aren't very happy with their country being a de facto protectorate. Or the entire thing could just be satirical, what do I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Farecoal posted:

Imagine a skyscraper made out of beige/tan concrete.

Oh god sorry, Sears tower.

So whats a good way to tell, use of concrete versus glass and steel?