Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

I don't smoke marijuana. I'm going back to school Monday to find out information on teaching abroad. Definitely when my advisor is there.

Oh and to those wondering why I'm taking time looking into a part-time job in something like McDonald's or a clothing store when I should be focusing exclusively into an office job, well here's a detail I don't think I shared here. I have a friend. His name's Mike. I've known him for a while now and he's a good guy. Well, the Monday after the incident detailed in the OP, I talked to him about what happened and my situation. And here's what he told me. He says that he has a room ready for me for $300 a month. And his place is right here in my city. So that's my immediate plan. Once I find employment, I'm saving two months rent and moving in with him.

You have to be a troll. There is no way any of your story makes sense.

Uncle works for police
Aunt at the hospital
No fast food jobs
Can't hack one day in a warehouse
No car
Terrible family
Needs to hide comics/movies
Dad doesn't work
7 years to graduate college without working

This is either the greatest troll on E/N or you are the saddest sack I have heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
You want a job as a freelance journalist? One of my editors has a few spots open for freelancers. Pay isn't anything great ($20/piece) but if you can bang out pieces quick, you can make good money. Most pieces will be in the 200-250 word range. The only caveat is you'll have to do things like call people for interviews occasionally and be willing to spend lots of time online & in person actually finding stuff to write about; not playing flash games and looking at funny videos of cats (that's my job). If you keep your head in the game and work hard there's no reason for you not to pull in $2,000+ a month. Oh, also, you'll be writing about cars.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 30, 2013

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

something clever posted:

You have to be a troll. There is no way any of your story makes sense.

Uncle works for police
Aunt at the hospital
No fast food jobs
Can't hack one day in a warehouse
No car
Terrible family
Needs to hide comics/movies
Dad doesn't work
7 years to graduate college without working

This is either the greatest troll on E/N or you are the saddest sack I have heard of.
It wasn't seven years. My first job was in high school back in '05. I'm expecting a word back from my local grinder place and my McDonald's. Oh and as for my relatives, my Dad's side is full of civil servants. I'm related to first responders and city workers either by blood or through marriage. So why my Dad didn't decide to go their route and work for the city escapes me.

And like I said, I've got nothing to gain by lying to you goons. What I've told you is honest and what I haven't told you I consider especially private.

Devyl posted:

You want a job as a freelance journalist? One of my editors has a few spots open for freelancers. Pay isn't anything great ($20/piece) but if you can bang out pieces quick, you can make good money. Most pieces will be in the 200-250 word range. The only caveat is you'll have to do things like call people for interviews occasionally and be willing to spend lots of time online & in person actually finding stuff to write about; not playing flash games and looking at funny videos of cats (that's my job). If you keep your head in the game and work hard there's no reason for you not to pull in $2,000+ a month. Oh, also, you'll be writing about cars.
Hey that sounds fun. Go ahead and PM me about the details.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey that sounds fun. Go ahead and PM me about the details.

Hey, how bout you show some initiative and PM Devyl, since they're the one who has something you want? Seriously dude, you have a ton of posts in this thread saying, "I'm pretty sure I have this job wrapped up!" only to not mention it again till someone asks and then it's, "Oh, they never got back to me, but I have this other lead that I'm going to drop, too!" PM Devyl, get the ball rolling, stop doing everything "next week".

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

sudont posted:

Hey, how bout you show some initiative and PM Devyl, since they're the one who has something you want? Seriously dude, you have a ton of posts in this thread saying, "I'm pretty sure I have this job wrapped up!" only to not mention it again till someone asks and then it's, "Oh, they never got back to me, but I have this other lead that I'm going to drop, too!" PM Devyl, get the ball rolling, stop doing everything "next week".
I did that too ;)

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

I don't smoke marijuana. I'm going back to school Monday to find out information on teaching abroad. Definitely when my advisor is there.

Oh and to those wondering why I'm taking time looking into a part-time job in something like McDonald's or a clothing store when I should be focusing exclusively into an office job, well here's a detail I don't think I shared here. I have a friend. His name's Mike. I've known him for a while now and he's a good guy. Well, the Monday after the incident detailed in the OP, I talked to him about what happened and my situation. And here's what he told me. He says that he has a room ready for me for $300 a month. And his place is right here in my city. So that's my immediate plan. Once I find employment, I'm saving two months rent and moving in with him.

This reminds me of a post I'm pretty sure I made a while back.

What are your friends doing? Where are they working? Are there openings? Have you even asked them? I swear, 90% of job leads are about who you know and not what you know. In my experience, people will be glad to teach you whatever you need to know about their specific system or industry or whatever if you actually come in with a skillset that they need and fit into the department culture well.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This thread is like a couple months old now I think good to see the OP is still at square 1.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Good luck OP, sorry I couldn't help anymore. However, if you still want to freelance in something you're more comfortable with, check out www.freelancejobopenings.com.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Do you live near any Goons OP? Some helpful ones, in person, could probably hang out with you and correctly identify the things you Need to change about your life, social mannerisms, and general the way you are, in order to snag the job opportunity of a life time! A Mini Goon meet, if you will, to help you!

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Have you tried Craigslist? That's where my last and current job came from. Also you should probably branch out your search out of the 15 minutes from home thing. Yeah, taking the bus is a pain in the rear end, I have to get up at 4am to catch two buses and a train everyday but that's what happens when you don't have a car. Send your resume to places and call them everyday until you get a response. I know the economy is poo poo but it really doesn't sound like you're putting as much effort into your job hunt as you should.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Devyl posted:

Good luck OP, sorry I couldn't help anymore. However, if you still want to freelance in something you're more comfortable with, check out www.freelancejobopenings.com.

Da poo poo? Benny the Snake why would you turn down a job?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Queen Elizatits posted:

Da poo poo? Benny the Snake why would you turn down a job?
I didn't. I applied to the job that Devyl graciously offered me. But it was an auto magazine and question #1 from the editor was "Can you detail?" I said that I didn't know how to detail, so I was turned down :smith:

juche mane posted:

Do you live near any Goons OP? Some helpful ones, in person, could probably hang out with you and correctly identify the things you Need to change about your life, social mannerisms, and general the way you are, in order to snag the job opportunity of a life time! A Mini Goon meet, if you will, to help you!
I set up an Inland Empire LAN thread a while back and it didn't really go anywhere. I really have no idea if I live near any goons.

DamnitGannet posted:

Have you tried Craigslist? That's where my last and current job came from.
I use Craigslist and Indeed regularly. I even got two interviews back in February.

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Benny the Snake posted:

I didn't. I applied to the job that Devyl graciously offered me. But it was an auto magazine and question #1 from the editor was "Can you detail?" I said that I didn't know how to detail, so I was turned down :smith:

You're completely useless. Just see a therapist and get on disability. I'm not even kidding, you know you're 100% unemployable when you can't even use Google. There are people out there who don't know how to detail but would sure as poo poo figure it out if a job was dependent on that knowledge. You're not one of them.

I don't feel good about making GBS threads on you this hard, but I can foresee you creating massive issues for your co-workers. I feel strongly that they should be spared the agony.

Edit: Seriously, learn to think better.

waste of internet fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 1, 2013

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

waste of internet posted:

You're completely useless. Just see a therapist and get on disability. I'm not even kidding, you know you're 100% unemployable when you can't even use Google. There are people out there who don't know how to detail but would sure as poo poo figure it out if a job was dependent on that knowledge. You're not one of them.

To be fair, if he didn't know what detailing was and was asking that question in an interview, he doesn't have time to google it while talking to the person.

Of course, he could have maybe READ SOME loving CAR MAGAZINES TO LEARN ABOUT WRITING FOR CAR MAGAZINES BEFORE THE CAR MAGAZINE WRITER INTERVIEW, but that would require a level of effort beyond "abso-loving-lutely-nothing".

The OP does not want to leave his comfortable house and will continue to sabotage himself until eventually his parents kick him out as they can no longer afford his freeloading wastrel self.

OP, you're at the bottom of the dunning-kruger effect. You are too dumb to realize that you are dumb - you clearly didn't know that you should be researching a job that you know little about before the interview, despite every bit of interview or job hunting advice ever written includes the words "research your potential employer beforehand."

To fix that gross ignorance, you really ought to spell out, in detail, your current job hunting methods, schedules, processes, and teh specific interview exchanges that happen when you get to an interview. From there, goons that hate you so badly they want you to succeed can both A) laugh at how goddamn dumb you are, and B) point out where your mistakes are and offer advice on how to fix it.

There isn't a person in this thread that doesn't want to see you move out of your parents house and graduate into being an adult, but you have long since passed into "pissing in the well" territory on the "goon stuck in a well" e/n analogy. If you take a moment to stop digging deeper and entertain the notion that maybe you're grossly misinformed about what a successful job hunt looks like, we can hopefully correct you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

I don't feel good about making GBS threads on you this hard, but I can foresee you creating massive issues for your co-workers. I feel strongly that they should be spared the agony.

Edit: Seriously, learn to think better.

To be fair I'd rather a candidate admit they don't know something than Google it during a phone interview. People can learn new things on a job. I've actually rejected a candidate after catching him reading to me off of Wikipedia.

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jeffrey posted:

To be fair I'd rather a candidate admit they don't know something than Google it during a phone interview. People can learn new things on a job. I've actually rejected a candidate after catching him reading to me off of Wikipedia.

Ok, but this is different. Googling "car detailing" or "auto detailing" or "auto industry "detailing"" will spit back results which give you fast knowledge that it's the exact thing as cleaning/making it shiny.

Sigma-X posted:

To be fair, if he didn't know what detailing was and was asking that question in an interview, he doesn't have time to google it while talking to the person.

We don't even know what type of interview it was, which is more of what I was scolding Benny for, in my last post. I'll admit, berating him for lack of Googling was fairly presumptuous of me. I figured it was a phone/instant message interview or something where he could sneakily do some fast research in a last ditch save effort.

Really though, I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't know what "auto detailing" equates to.

waste of internet fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 1, 2013

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Really though, I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't know what "auto detailing" equates to.

Before googling it a few minutes ago I don't think I've ever heard the term. Of course I know all the individual procedures but I never knew there was a term for the whole package.

e. For context I'm 23 and I've had a car for a while when I was 18/19. Including the selling it part and I did detail it just had no idea that's how it was called.

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 1, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

I could have made a reasonable educated guess but I certainly didn't know this for sure. (Owned a car for three years.)

EDIT: Though my answer would probably be something along the lines of "no, but if that's what you're looking for it'll be a yes by this time tomorrow".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 1, 2013

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I'm not a native English speaker and I've never owned a car, but I know what detailing is. That doesn't mean I could have honestly answered yes to the question "Can you detail," though.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
Wait, I thought auto detailing just meant cleaning a car, why would a freelance writer need to be able to do that?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Due diligence in advance of the interview would have been to get a copy of the magazine before the interview so you know what they put in it but..... :effort:

If you are looking for writing jobs please tell me you also have slapped together some kind of portfolio.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

PopRocks posted:

Wait, I thought auto detailing just meant cleaning a car, why would a freelance writer need to be able to do that?

Most freelance writers for magazines write about what they know, usually either a hobby or a field they have worked in. Freelance writers write about vacations they have taken, cars they have owned or worked on, hobbies they participate in. I am doubting OP has anything suitable sadly unless there are magazines dedicated to dysfunctional codependency.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

Xenocides posted:

Most freelance writers for magazines write about what they know, usually either a hobby or a field they have worked in. Freelance writers write about vacations they have taken, cars they have owned or worked on, hobbies they participate in. I am doubting OP has anything suitable sadly unless there are magazines dedicated to dysfunctional codependency.

I guess, but I wouldn't expect a Sports Illustrated writer to know how to properly wash a jock strap or get a turf stain out of a jersey. You can love cars and still pay someone else to detail yours for you. That doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to interview a detail service about the process and write a coherent article about it better than the guy who does detail his own vehicle.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

PopRocks posted:

I guess, but I wouldn't expect a Sports Illustrated writer to know how to properly wash a jock strap or get a turf stain out of a jersey. You can love cars and still pay someone else to detail yours for you. That doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to interview a detail service about the process and write a coherent article about it better than the guy who does detail his own vehicle.

True, and if OP had started talking about detailing and, while admitting he has never done detailing he has seen the results and is interested in the process instead of a "no" something might have happened here. I am a writer. Writers who want jobs have to sound like they know about the subject or that they are used to research. If I was hiring a writer, asked that question, and got a "no" I may or may not have ended the interview right there but either way I would be less enthusiastic about hiring this person.

If I was the OP looking to clinch that job I would have looked at the magazine and written a good article in advance and have it easily available for the interview (by bringing it or emailing in advance). Wannabe writers are a dime a dozen and you have to stand out.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I don't know the exact e-mails between the two of them but my assumption isn't that it was about auto detailing; but rather it was that he was asking Benny The Snake if he/she could explain in detail any automotive history he/she has. In an e-mail I received once from him (the editor) in regards to a piece I was writing, I was asked to write thoroughly about a specific engine type. His question was phrased "Can you detail it?". I think it was simple mis-understanding on Benny's end.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

:shepface:
This is amazing. "Do you know how to use a hand towel?" and you answered no.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

the runs formula posted:

:shepface:
This is amazing. "Do you know how to use a hand towel?" and you answered no.

There goes his busboy career.

One Million Laffs
Aug 7, 2004

Xenocides posted:

There goes his busboy career.

That job is way below him, to be fair.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Well I applied the same drat day Devyl sent me the link. Also right next to "detailing", the editor asked me if I had any automotive experience too...which I don't have to the level of what a car magazine editor wants. I could've BS'd him, but the way I figure, I would've been called out eventually so I told him the truth.

Hey but when one door closes, another door opens. I applied to 2Shoopper as a freelance blogger, and now they want a writing sample! I've sent one already.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
Why don't you just harasas the Mcdonalds managers until they give you a job? If you don't moparound like a sad bitch you could pickup some good experience from them. For Gods sake just do something!

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

Well I applied the same drat day Devyl sent me the link. Also right next to "detailing", the editor asked me if I had any automotive experience too...which I don't have to the level of what a car magazine editor wants. I could've BS'd him, but the way I figure, I would've been called out eventually so I told him the truth.

Hey but when one door closes, another door opens. I applied to 2Shoopper as a freelance blogger, and now they want a writing sample! I've sent one already.

"I had an opportunity to get out of my current lovely situation and start putting food on my own table, but I said gently caress it. I'm gonna go read a comic."

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Benny the Snake posted:

Post the writing sample in the thread and I will correct it for you.

CountingCrows fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 21, 2013

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
Seriously, though. Try to get your head out of your fantasy writing job and get a loving job. Just anything. Start getting some income and feeding yourself on your own, then move onto the next thing.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

the runs formula posted:

"I had an opportunity to get out of my current lovely situation and start putting food on my own table, but I said gently caress it. I'm gonna go read a comic."

This is one of those situations where the alternative to getting a job needs to be starvation, not like it currently is, having to watch PG TV (on moms TV)when his mom is in the room.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Benny the Snake posted:

This is so sad that I am starting to feel bad for you and angry at any education system that took your money and left you so hopelessly incapable of surviving as an adult.

FYI BSing is exactly what you should have done. If I was looking to hire someone to write poo poo for me and I asked them anything that got me a one word answer I would be done interviewing you. You shouldn't lie, but you should have told some story or something, anything that shows you have any creative or communicative skills. He wasn't looking for you to teach him about cars he was looking for you to show him you can put words on paper.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Benny the Snake posted:

Guess how you learn about cars? By reading car magazines! Guess what you'd do a lot of if you tried harder in that interview and got the job? Read a lot of car magazines!

You can't just be like "nope. don't know." and not show any willingness to learn. You have to be like "No but I can learn!" No one is an expert at the subject matter they deal with in their first entry level job, you just have to be willing to learn and be a goddamn information sponge the first few weeks/months. Get everyone and anyone to teach you about what they do. You could've spun it that since you're not a car expert you can write to the level of a total car noob and make articles more accessible to non-gearheads such as yourself who just want to expand their knowledge.

I did not know the first thing about airplanes when I applied to my job, but goddamnit I learned and was a little over-enthusiastic with YAY AIRPLANES in my interview and if they asked any questions I didn't know the answer to my answer was always something along the lines of "I don't know it right now, but I can learn!" Just today someone was talking to me about nut plates, and I could've just nodded along but I was like "wtf is a nut plate?" and I got a whole lesson on nut plates, including show and tell with a bag full of them. Now I know about nut plates. You need to do this with EVERYTHING.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
OP, I've been rooting for you since you started this thread, but this is getting ridiculous. Stop looking for blogging/writing jobs and focus on something that you'll have a better chance of getting hired for. Right now, your goals of being a professional writer are a pipe dream. Go harass McDonalds or something, anything, so long as it's real work. Get some money, get the hell out of your mom's house, and then (maybe) spend a little time on the side writing.

And for the love of God, even if you don't necessarily know something about the job, bullshit your way through an answer. I'm just a secretary, but when I applied for the job I said I knew the ins and outs of Microsoft Office and Excel. I didn't. I lied, said I did, and got the job. I went home and made drat sure I knew how to use it, however. The same could be said of the auto job you lost. No, you didn't have much automotive experience. You could have, however, bullshitted an answer (you're a writer, right? Make something up!), then did your research.

I understand not wanting to be dishonest and getting called out for it later, but it's no excuse. The guy wanted you to write about cars, not actually detail or fix them.

SchrodingersFish
Mar 9, 2012
OP, I think many people in this thread are being unnecessarily harsh about most things. Honestly, I wouldn't have even attempted that warehouse job (which doesn't mean I'm an entitled rear end in a top hat sheesh) and if I had, I probably would have done much worse than you. I also don't think you should focus exclusively on McDonald's and find it kind of amusing that people are yelling at you for wanting a job that develops skills you'd like to apply to a future career.

True, an English degree is not the best choice if you want to be employed, but it doesn't mean you should just ignore it like it never happened (although it might be a good idea to take it off your resume when applying to certain jobs). Assuming you are actually a solid writer, you have many transferable skills that many companies would like. Are you a critical thinker? Can you type well? Can you use word processing programs? Can you write clearly and concisely to get your point across? Lots of people hire Technical Writers. Many Tech Writers spend their time writing instruction manuals, help guides, faqs, etc. for Technical products. It also pays fairly well sine the Tech industry is booming. Apply to Secretary ("Office Administration Assistant") jobs, HR jobs, there is tons of stuff out there.

What people SHOULD give you poo poo (and are giving you poo poo for) for is stupidly and severely limiting your job search to ~15 mins from your house. I get that you don't have a car and are strapped for cash, but come on. You will never get a job this way, ESPECIALLY a job that will actually be of use to you in your career.

Your buddy said he has a $300 a month room waiting for you in the city, right? So look for jobs near his place (or near public transit that connects to his place) and move in as soon as you have an offer. Why aren't you doing this? If it doesn't work out with the buddy, start looking for employment along buslines and connected public transit. Yes, I know the bus sucks and I know it takes a long time, but it will drastically increase your employment options. Once you have a steady paycheck you can pick up a junker car for a few hundred and you won't have to take the bus anymore.

Is there any way you can borrow your parent's car during the day? Aren't they unemployed too? If you can't have it every day, you could set up a carpool with coworkers (or through a city carpool/vanpool board) and take the car only 2 or 3 times a week. If you parents HAVE to have the car during the day, can they drive you to work in the morning and pick you up at night? Or meet you halfway- drop you off and pick you up at a more convenient bus line??

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
What makes any of you think this dudes first job since he was in highschool has to be what starts so sort of career. I think he needs to start of alittle smaller like taking out the trash or cleaning his room.

But honestly, your being an idiot. Go to MiceyD's and talk to the manager! in person face to face like an adult. Them once you are well adjusted to doing things other then sitting at home complaining about mommy and ready comics. Than you should go out and find something that will help you towards a career. Hell work hard enough Mcdonalds has a good history of making fry cooks into corporate people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkaiser
Mar 17, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

99% of people that start out in the workforce don't know jack and suck at what they're doing. The difference between the people that succeed and the people that don't are the ones that find ways to learn what they need to know and work on not sucking at their jobs.

I don't know jack about car detailing besides the definition, I could have easily said something along the lines of "It's something I've been meaning to learn more of, I'm definitely willing to do whatever it takes to research the information you need, I also think this could be a interest opportunity for you to get a few pieces from me on learning to detail cars from scratch that I could share with your readers".

Instead you decided you made enough of a effort and that you already failed, so what if you try and potentially get called out or fail at it later on. Guess what, your time is worth jack right now and you have nothing to lose besides leisure time.

• Locked thread