Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
I would figure the sub world it was ok to be fat in.. I mean, where the gently caress are you gonna work out? What the gently caress kinda working out you gonna do?

I mean some dudes are naturally skinny, some naturally normal, some naturally kinda fat.. put 'em all under water for a few months I'm guessing a lot of folks got a little fat?

Or 'am I crazy?

Aren't the submarine folks the reason the Navy has so many different types of tests for Cardio, with the swimming, eliptical, bike, or run options or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I'm sure it's the same for most boats but we had an elliptical, a bike, a rowing machine, and a set of those adjustable dumbbells. Some people worked out and stayed relatively in shape, and some people got really fat.

All those workout machines got cut into little pieces and tossed overboard because of ORSE and we bought all new ones when we pulled back in from deployment.

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I'm sure it's the same for most boats but we had an elliptical, a bike, a rowing machine, and a set of those adjustable dumbbells. Some people worked out and stayed relatively in shape, and some people got really fat.

All those workout machines got cut into little pieces and tossed overboard because of ORSE and we bought all new ones when we pulled back in from deployment.

What is ORSE?

And just how much stuff do these subs just randomly leave in the ocean, like trash and poo poo?

I mean I realize it's a huge ocean, and that the sea will take care of that poo poo or whatever, I'm just shocked there isn't some gay EPA/DoD reg about dumping in the ocean or something.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

We just end up putting the poo poo in torpedo room. That P90X stuff was really popular on my boat too, since people could do it with little to no equipment. We had a guy that memorized 6-7 routines in the entirety, and then would do one a day during deployment.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

bradass87 posted:

What is ORSE?

And just how much stuff do these subs just randomly leave in the ocean, like trash and poo poo?

I mean I realize it's a huge ocean, and that the sea will take care of that poo poo or whatever, I'm just shocked there isn't some gay EPA/DoD reg about dumping in the ocean or something.

Operational Reactor Safeguards Exam; a big engineering inspection to make sure Engineering Department is somewhat on the level.

We supercompact our trash into a tiny little canister, and then weigh it down and drop it out the bottom. We can compact about 4-5 trashcans worth of stuff into something the size of a small bucket (3000# hydraulics is good for that). All plastics and recyclables are now required to be kept onboard until we pull into port and they can be recycled.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

One of our freezers took a poo poo during an underway, so we had to "offload" several hundred pounds of meat into the ocean. The sharks ate well that night.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
How did you offload the meat? Through an airlock, or just by surfacing and throwing it overboard?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

We surfaced and threw it overboard. Launching it out the torpedo tubes probably would have been more fun.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sacrilage posted:

Operational Reactor Safeguards Exam; a big engineering inspection to make sure Engineering Department is somewhat on the level.

We supercompact our trash into a tiny little canister, and then weigh it down and drop it out the bottom. We can compact about 4-5 trashcans worth of stuff into something the size of a small bucket (3000# hydraulics is good for that). All plastics and recyclables are now required to be kept onboard until we pull into port and they can be recycled.

Was it a thing on your boat for people to poo poo in bags and not say anything so it would get compacted and smear poo poo all over the machine? Cause it was for us. It was like a weekly goddamn thing.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
the only time that happened the cob loving raged and woke everyone up during the midwatch

also anyone that does that is a fuckhead tbh

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I compacted a big bottle of blue ink once. That shitstorm lasted weeks.

It doesn't matter what goes in the ocean. Dilution is the solution.

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
When was the last time a U.S. submarine engaged and sank another submarine?

Or for that matter, when any submarine engaged another submarine in an attack?

It's gotta be.. what, World War II?

Has there been a "modern" submarine engagement at all? We can extend the definition of modern to homing torpedos and sonar in general for the purposes of these questions, not necessarily nuclear submarines only.

And have we used the SSGN's and their bazillion tomahawks yet?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I would guess the last time was between India and Pakistan.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Florida shot a bunch of Tomahawks at Libya.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

bradass87 posted:

Has there been a "modern" submarine engagement at all? We can extend the definition of modern to homing torpedos and sonar in general for the purposes of these questions, not necessarily nuclear submarines only.

Do we really need to explain to you how strategic deterrents work?

bradass87
Mar 4, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

grover posted:

Do we really need to explain to you how strategic deterrents work?

No dude, I was wondering if/when it had happened bc that would be p. loving awesome.

I'm not a D&D convert or LF refugee looking to talk poo poo, I legit wonder what any submarine engagements would'a been like.. sub on sub action I mean, at least. And I legit don't know if the SSGN's did any live shooting @ real world targets

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

bradass87 posted:

I know that the only time a nuclear submarine has torpedoed a ship was during the Falklands War in '82, the HMS Conqueror sank the ARA General Belgrano.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

bradass87 posted:

Maybe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Scorpion_(SSN-589)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

bradass87 posted:

No dude, I was wondering if/when it had happened bc that would be p. loving awesome.

I'm not a D&D convert or LF refugee looking to talk poo poo, I legit wonder what any submarine engagements would'a been like.. sub on sub action I mean, at least. And I legit don't know if the SSGN's did any live shooting @ real world targets
Oh, sorry. There have been a handful of sub kills since WWII.

USS Barbel sank a freighter smuggling supplies to the North Vietnamese
USS Medregal crippled a freighter smuggling supplies to the North Vietnamese
USS Greenville sank the Ehime Maru.

None of them used torpedoes :ssh:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Cerekk posted:

Florida shot a bunch of Tomahawks at Libya.

The Georgia was supposed to but some jerk had dropped a bolt in her reduction gears.

Right around the beginning of the Iraq War, the US and France were having diplomatic issues, with Chirac stubbornly refusing to formally OK the war and continuing to deliver weapons to Saddam pretty much until our bombs started to fall. The De Gaulle was in the Gulf and keeping her E-2s in the air, and there was some concern that the French were using them to track American strike aircraft and possibly giving the data to the Iraqis. Then, within a week of the war starting, the De Gaulle skedaddled out of the Gulf rather impromptu. There's a sea story that we parked a 688i or two in her vicinity and told the French if she kept flying her AWACS once the shooting war started that we'd send her to the bottom; like all sea stories, take this with a cup of salt.

When you're not fighting WWIII, submarine roles lean heavily to intelligence gathering and similar sneaky poo poo, so there are probably more 'got shot at' stories out there than 'got to shoot' stories.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Georgia was supposed to but some jerk had dropped a bolt in her reduction gears.
We were going to bomb Iraq back in 90-something, but the plans changed at the last minute. I think the Miami (or some other iBoat) did it instead. It would have made for a good story to tell the grandkids, but the Med run we did instead was pretty awesome. Gibraltar is loving awesome.

quote:

When you're not fighting WWIII, submarine roles lean heavily to intelligence gathering and similar sneaky poo poo, so there are probably more 'got shot at' stories out there than 'got to shoot' stories.
Are there even any post-cold war navies capable of locating and tracking a US sub?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If they gently caress up they can be found.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Mad Dragon posted:

We were going to bomb Iraq back in 90-something, but the plans changed at the last minute. I think the Miami (or some other iBoat) did it instead.

USS Louisville shot the first warshot of Op Desert Storm, a Tomahawk.

Their CO got a Bronze Star. He was the rider that observed for my dolphins, and he loved to tell everyone how he got his Bronze Star...

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Late 90s, not Desert Storm.

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9711/14/iraq.military/

WP CURES PALESTINE
Jun 17, 2011
[ASK] ME about :

LYING ABOUT BEING A US MARINE

HATING ON TRANSPEOPLE BUT SECRETLY DATING ONE

CLAIMING TO HAVE PTSD ON MY OKCUPID PROFILE

HAVING A TRIFORCE TATTOO ON MY NECK

Mad Dragon posted:

We were going to bomb Iraq back in 90-something, but the plans changed at the last minute. I think the Miami (or some other iBoat) did it instead. It would have made for a good story to tell the grandkids, but the Med run we did instead was pretty awesome. Gibraltar is loving awesome.
Are there even any post-cold war navies capable of locating and tracking a US sub?

Sweden have done it quite a few times, we can't track theirs though.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

IDR posted:

The Stirling engines they have are loving boss as hell.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

IDR posted:

The USN actually "leased" the Gotland from Sweden for a year to utilize her exclusively as opfor during exercises...and then extended the lease by another year because the training was so effective.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I bet we can track them when they snorkel.

e: wait, holy poo poo, do they not snorkel? :stare:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Mortabis posted:

I bet we can track them when they snorkel.

e: wait, holy poo poo, do they not snorkel? :stare:
That's kinda the whole point of AIP.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
But AIP subs do eventually have to snorkel, right? Don't they have to run ordinary diesels after a while?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mortabis posted:

But AIP subs do eventually have to snorkel, right? Don't they have to run ordinary diesels after a while?

Only if they run out of liquid o2.

edit : a boat like this with modern SS gear is the most scary thing ever.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

WikiPedia posted:

HMS Gotland managed to snap several pictures of the USS Ronald Reagan during a wargaming exercise in the Pacific Ocean, effectively "sinking" the aircraft carrier.[11] The exercise was conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of the US Fleet against diesel-electric submarines, which some have noted as severely lacking.

:stare: I knew we were weak on SS ASW but goddamn

I like to imagine them surfacing within like 1km of the Reagan and just waving to the carrier, then slipping back to periscope depth to listen to the Task Force Commander rip all his ASW guys new poopchutes.

That is a tiny looking sub, too.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

ded posted:

Only if they run out of liquid o2.

Is SS sonar gear?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ded posted:

Only thing that is theoretically capable of being quieter than a USN SSN, indefinitely.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Mortabis posted:

Is SS sonar gear?

"SS" is the designation for Diesel/Electrics, "SSN" being nucs and "SSP" being that terrifying Swedish death machine with Stirling Engine AIP. Some say it stands for "Scares Skippers Pissless"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
When we messed with the Gotland in '05? they also had a bunch of super-hot women on board

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Snowdens Secret posted:

When we messed with the Gotland in '05? they also had a bunch of super-hot women on board

Reason #1 why I was insanely pissed the Swedes canceled on bringing their -130s up for a Red Flag year before last.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

"I SAID 'Rig for silent running'. Jennsen, stop banging the cook :argh: Sonar can hear you and we're going to start broadcasting on the 1MC"

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 2, 2013

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Beach Bum posted:

:stare: I knew we were weak on SS ASW but goddamn

I like to imagine them surfacing within like 1km of the Reagan and just waving to the carrier, then slipping back to periscope depth to listen to the Task Force Commander rip all his ASW guys new poopchutes.

Actually not that hard; done that same thing in an SSN. Main defense is that carriers are fast. Stupid fast, all the time. So a 4KT diesel/AIP needs to be lucky as poo poo or catch a carrier off guard to get a decent shot with acceptable POI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Beach Bum posted:

"I SAID 'Rig for silent running'. Jennsen, stop banging the cook :argh: Sonar can hear you and we're going to start broadcasting on the 1MC:

Doesn't require women.

Just saying.

• Locked thread