Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

US is sending the Raptors out.

Beware North Korea.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/us-sends-f-22-jets-to-join-south-korea-drills-amid-threats-from-north/article10596315/?cmpid=rss1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

So I saw this today out of the blue and thought you guys might like to see.

How long have you lived in Seattle and not been down to the museum? It's amazing. You need to go.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Digging the Manu Chao in that video. Somehow very fitting.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Godholio posted:

I was expecting this video, which still makes me :stare: every time I watch it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThoZNxy2JZk

I was, in turn, expecting this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCZRwv_568Y

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ctishman posted:

How long have you lived in Seattle and not been down to the museum? It's amazing. You need to go.

Mrs. Slidebite and I went there a couple years ago. I literally spent the entire day there, from open to close. And even then I could have easily spent another day there. It was a pity I only had 1 day to spend there but I probably would have had divorce papers served to me if I asked to stay an extra day for that.

Other than Smithsonian/Udvar-Hazy, nothing compares. I desperately want to go to Dayton some day to see the AF museum.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

slidebite posted:

Mrs. Slidebite and I went there a couple years ago. I literally spent the entire day there, from open to close. And even then I could have easily spent another day there. It was a pity I only had 1 day to spend there but I probably would have had divorce papers served to me if I asked to stay an extra day for that.

Other than Smithsonian/Udvar-Hazy, nothing compares. I desperately want to go to Dayton some day to see the AF museum.

You really should put the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida on your list as well. The collection is not as large, but they've got more actual war-flown aircraft than anybody and the displays are really nicely set up and not roped off, and at least their share of the last one on earth aircraft. Easier to leave the wife at the beach for a day than it is to tell her "go have fun" in Dayton, Ohio, as well.

If you do end up heading to Dayton, say up. I'm nowhere near, but I don't really need a whole lot of excuse or a ton of advanced to weekend roadtrip to an air museum.

Other USAF Museum Pro-tip, if you plan months in advance, you can get on the list for the Friday restoration hangar tour, which is awesome. If you can't get on the list, you can show up as the open the doors and hope to get a walk-in slot, but it isn't something to bet on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Runways? Where we're going, we don't need runways.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slo-Tek posted:

You really should put the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida on your list as well. The collection is not as large, but they've got more actual war-flown aircraft than anybody and the displays are really nicely set up and not roped off, and at least their share of the last one on earth aircraft. Easier to leave the wife at the beach for a day than it is to tell her "go have fun" in Dayton, Ohio, as well.

If you do end up heading to Dayton, say up. I'm nowhere near, but I don't really need a whole lot of excuse or a ton of advanced to weekend roadtrip to an air museum.

Other USAF Museum Pro-tip, if you plan months in advance, you can get on the list for the Friday restoration hangar tour, which is awesome. If you can't get on the list, you can show up as the open the doors and hope to get a walk-in slot, but it isn't something to bet on.

The restoration work at the Naval Aviation museum is absolutely superb, as well, plus there are quite a few more-recent additions to the collection that they literally flew in off the carrier and parked inside, and still have the as-flown feeling about them. (Read: Dirt in all the right places.)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvqJ1mTkEuY

Regarding the Naval Aviation Museum, here's a repost of a copy+paste I did a while back in the thread:

quote:

I spent the past week down in Florida visiting a friend...I had some spare time, so I spent a day at the AF Armament Museum outside Eglin and another at the Museum of Naval Aviation on Pensacola NAS. No pictures because I didn't have my camera with me, but I just wanted to point out the historical poo poo at these two museums...both museums were well done and had the standard complement of aircraft you would expect at each museum (the Naval Aviation Museum was packed chock full of aircraft...I was there for 3 hours and probably only saw 2/3rds of their collection). What I really wanted to point out is the history behind the actual airframes that are at each museum...the museum at Eglin has the very first C-130 to roll off the production line that was subsequently converted into the first AC-130 and was in active service from the late '60s until the late '90s, as well as the only "Big Tail" SR-71, a BUFF that flew combat missions during Desert Storm, and a MiG-21 that just showed up at the museum overnight; the curator was told not to ask any questions (it was a "YF-110" that came from the Constant Peg program.

However, the Museum of Naval Aviation kicks this up a notch...in that one museum they have the first airframe to fly across the Atlantic (it only took them 19 days), the only F3F in existence, the only SB2U in existence, the Viking that delivered Dubya aboard the Abraham Lincoln, an almost all original N1K2 "George" that still retains field expedient repairs and battle damage, the Coronado that served as a high level transport during WWII, regularly transporting among others Chester Nimitz, the Truculent Turtle, a F11F that flew with the Blue Angels, an OV-10 that saw service in Vietnam, during which time one of its pilots was killed in action; the pilot's brother discovered the airframe in a scrapyard 20 years after the fact with his brother's name still stenciled on the fuselage and undertook an effort to get it restored and into the museum, this guy's Bird Dog, the Tomcat with the last combat trap, and perhaps most incredibly, a SBD Dauntless airframe that was on Ford Island during the attack on Pearl Harbor, took part in a raid on New Guinea for which its pilot was awarded the Navy Cross, and then took part in the Battle of Midway.

Yeah. Basically if these aircraft could talk I would spend a solid week doing nothing but listening to them, so all of you should go visit these museums if you ever are remotely in the area.

quote:

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the whole Cubi Point thing, which is awesome. The Navy generally has their poo poo together when it comes to preserving heritage and the like...light years ahead of the Air Force, anyway, although that isn't saying much.

I also forgot to mention that they have a R4D (C-47) there named Que Sera Sera that just happens to be the airframe that was the first aircraft to land at the South Pole...the reason I was reminded of it is apparently the dude that was flying it on the famous mission lives in the Pensacola area and is one of those volunteer geezers who occasionally comes in to help clean up and tell stories.

Oh, and that Mauler? Yeah, the airframe they have is the airframe that was used to set the single piston engine payload record.

Actually, going back and looking through their collection, I'd say that there are at least 7 or 8 aircraft that are one offs which are literally the only one of their type left in existence, along with several more that are in single digits left. And their most boring airframes are pretty much the ones that "just" flew some combat missions or crashed in the ocean 70 years ago and were fished out and restored...I can probably count on one hand the number of aircraft in their collection that did the usual museum thing of "flew a few years stateside, sat in the boneyard for a while, then went to the museum." In short the museum owns.

The Cubi Point thing is that the O-Club at Cubi Point NAS in the Philippines had a LOT of history in it due to all the navy flying squadrons that had passed through there in the 40 years it was in existence (each squadron was commission a plaque type thing to hang up in the bar every time they came through on a WestPac tour). When the base shut down in the early '90s they shipped back all the plaques and some other assorted things from the O-Club and recreated the O-Club in the snack bar/cafeteria area of the Naval Aviation Museum. But yeah, the aircraft collection is loving amazing...that SBD still makes me :psyduck: when I think about it. Also here's a video of that O-1 I was talking about (lovely music alert):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so9XRUbBGj8

If you get down there the Armament Museum at Eglin is worth a trip over if you have time...it's a relatively short drive from the Pensacola area to Eglin and you could probably cover the Armament Museum in an afternoon.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slo-Tek posted:

Thanks for the info. If I ever find myself able to do Pensacola I'll remember that.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Seconded. The Naval Aviation Museum is bananas.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

More "Hypothetical aircraft from 1950s" Life:

e: more

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 2, 2013

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

tactlessbastard posted:

Seconded. The Naval Aviation Museum is bananas.

Yeah. Go soon too, check the Blue Angel's schedule, and get in while they are still practicing. There has been talk of them getting hours/shows cut. Even the practices they do are phenomenal and are easily on par with their airshow performances. While I was stationed there I'd try to get to one of their practices every week. And the museum is loving awesome as well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nebakenezzer posted:

More "Hypothetical aircraft from 1950s" Life:

Wake turbulence on approach probably would have made that pretty sporty.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Aerial refueling aircraft manage well enough. I'm sure there's an art to it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh yeah for sure, but there is some wiggle room there. Flying between the rudders and landing on a "runway" hardly wider than the aircraft you're piloting. :clint: as gently caress on a whole other level

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

slidebite posted:

Oh yeah for sure, but there is some wiggle room there. Flying between the rudders and landing on a "runway" hardly wider than the aircraft you're piloting. :clint: as gently caress on a whole other level

Well to be fair, I'd imagine the carrier plane could probably match speeds so the approaching craft is only landing at a few miles per hour relative speed. Practically a VTOL landing, really.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Well to be fair, I'd imagine the carrier plane could probably match speeds so the approaching craft is only landing at a few miles per hour relative speed. Practically a VTOL landing, really.

Now imagine how they'd handle actually securing the aircraft once it landed. Would you have wing-walkers running out there in harnesses to tie down planes that still had the engines running? Nets?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ctishman posted:

Now imagine how they'd handle actually securing the aircraft once it landed. Would you have wing-walkers running out there in harnesses to tie down planes that still had the engines running? Nets?

A hook, just like you use on a carrier but in reverse. It even says in the article that it was hooking in.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Life, Sept. 26, 1955 at 22 posted:

..To take off, a fighter plane would be lifted to the top deck hooked to a huge hinged ramp. Buy unhooking itself, it would become immediately airborne at 500 mph. A plane coming into land would simply set down at 500 mph and hook up. Then it would be lowered, as the drawing shows, on the ramp. Designer Loening believes that turbulence troubles would be negligible.
The big plane itself, powered by 20 engines, would be built as a seaplane so that it it could operate from seas, rivers and lakes all over the world.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Negligible turbulance, at nearly mach 2. :allears:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ardeem posted:

Negligible turbulance, at nearly mach 2. :allears:

Where are you getting mach 2 from? All I'm seeing is 500 MPH, the only mention of supersonic speeds is one reference to it carrying supersonic planes. :confused:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

wolrah posted:

Where are you getting mach 2 from? All I'm seeing is 500 MPH, the only mention of supersonic speeds is one reference to it carrying supersonic planes. :confused:

Whups, looked up the wrong number when I was checking where mach 1 was, so slightly under. It's still an oversized Bell X-1, complete with ruler straight wings.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Here is my concept for a futuristic airplane, I gave it butterfly wings because butterflies are pretty, I don't know why airplanes don't have butterfly wings. Also I gave it a proboscis so it can do in-flight refuelling from flowers. It's just a concept at the moment but I'd like your input on its technical merit please.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
where are the guns

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

slidebite posted:

Wake turbulence on approach probably would have made that pretty sporty.

Wake turbulence wouldn't be a problem.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Linedance posted:

Here is my concept for a futuristic airplane, I gave it butterfly wings because butterflies are pretty, I don't know why airplanes don't have butterfly wings. Also I gave it a proboscis so it can do in-flight refuelling from flowers. It's just a concept at the moment but I'd like your input on its technical merit please.

not 5th generation

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
But good enough nonetheless.

Report to Fort Worth next monday.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Ferret King posted:

Aerial refueling aircraft manage well enough. I'm sure there's an art to it.

The ride can be a bit rough in a refueling aircraft. Like "oh that dude with a thousand hours just puked in his glove" rough.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Godholio posted:

The ride can be a bit rough in a refueling aircraft. Like "oh that dude with a thousand hours just puked in his glove" rough.

This is a great turn of phrase.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Linedance posted:

Finally a concept that will close the pollen gap.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Linedance posted:

Silly man. Everyone knows that butterflys and bees cannot actually fly due to the laws of physics. Your design must incorporate hummingbird wings.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
BA are hoping everyone has forgotten about the Dreamliner battery problems and issuing statements that tl;dr to "we don't give a gently caress"

quote:

UK-BRITISH AIRWAYS 787 (O) Edit Number: 4131BO / Revision 1| 04/04/13 17:43:51
British Airways Put Faith In Boeing's Troubled Dreamliner

It's supposedly the world's most advanced passenger jet.

An ultra lightweight structure with a range of 18 hours.

But Boeing's Dreamliner 787 has been grounded since January due to unresolved battery problems.

Despite not flying though, it's still doing business.

British Airways parent IAG has just sealed a deal for 18 new Dreamliners.

That's on top of the 24 it's already ordered to help replace its current long haul fleet of 747-400s.

Risky? Not according to aerospace analyst Howard Wheeldon.

SOUNDBITE (English) HOWARD WHEELDON, AEROSPACE AND DEFENCE ANALYST, WHEELDON STRATEGIC ADVISORY LTD, SAYING:

"All aircraft have a problem through their development stage. Boeing have had its problems. There isn't an aircraft that's come into service that hasn't been without a problem over the years. Boeing will resolve these problems. These are technical and engineering issues. They will be resolved."

This United flight was one of the last to use a Dreamliner, nearly 3 months ago.

The same day all 50 jets currently in service were grounded after two separate battery fires in the US and Japan.

The planes use new lithium-ion batteries.

Boeing says they burns 20 percent less fuel than older technology.

The company says it's close to concluding tests on a revamped system and will then ask regulators for approval.

Boeing hasn't lost any orders since the problems began.

But it has lost money.

The grounding is thought to be costing the company 50 million dollars a week.
:black101:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Anyone planning a trip to the Naval Aviation museum let me know and I would be happy to take you out on the flight line to look at our airplanes. I just can't let you get too close to the Blue Angels. ;)

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

BA are hoping everyone has forgotten about the Dreamliner battery problems and issuing statements that tl;dr to "we don't give a gently caress"

:black101:

…and they're right. The only difference here is, as has been made amply clear, the 24-hour news cycle. Battery issues are a minimal concern, and BA's vote of confidence will pay off in the long run, especially with the number of huge long runs they make to international destinations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

vulturesrow posted:

Anyone planning a trip to the Naval Aviation museum let me know and I would be happy to take you out on the flight line to look at our airplanes. I just can't let you get too close to the Blue Angels. ;)

If I can get change of station leave in June (I'm scheduled to finish TDY in OKC on a Wednesday, and report for work in Miami, Friday morning, :ohdear: ) I'm stopping on my way back home and taking you up on this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ctishman posted:

…and they're right. The only difference here is, as has been made amply clear, the 24-hour news cycle. Battery issues are a minimal concern, and BA's vote of confidence will pay off in the long run, especially with the number of huge long runs they make to international destinations.

Regardless of the issue, it will certainly be fixed by the time BA takes delivery on those incremental orders.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ctishman posted:

Precisely. In the grand scheme of things, the 787's battery problem is, while serious, not as dire as the media would have you believe, nor is the fix overly complicated. We're not talking about something the magnitude of the DeHavilland Comet I after all.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

Never thought I'd say this non-sarcastically, but here we are:

H. T. F. U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dead Reckoning posted:

Never thought I'd say this non-sarcastically, but here we are:

H. T. F. U.

:lol: Yeah, that'll help.

It's rarely that bad, I'll admit. Transition training (2 hours of low approaches/touch n goes) is much worse. I've been airsick twice, never puked

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 5, 2013