Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Killing a Gigginox while it is fleeing along the ceiling is pretty :black101:

Oh hey, finally my Fearsome Maw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
What's a good alternative to the Helios Z set? It's super weak against dragon and I'm soon heading into Hr8. I was thinking the Jade Barroth set since it's easy to collect and has decent stats for a lance user.

Alternatively I was thinking the Diablos Z set so I can look like a triceratops, but supposedly the drop rates for that set are abysmal.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I don't know how it happened, but I beat the Jhen Mohran. Now to do it ten more times for the armor :getin:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I do not own a WiiU, but I really want to play some Monster Hunter.

I do own a 3DS, and I've tried the demo, but i'm not sure how indicative of the actual gameplay that is.

So basically this is my quandary: I might get a WiiU in the future, but it will be during or after summer. Is it worth picking up Monster Hunter for the 3DS to play between now and then if I'm not totally sold on the control scheme? Is it more intuitive than the demo leads me to believe?

I'm sure this has been asked before but I would love fresh opinions since the game has been out for a bit :3:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Can 3ds and PSP users play together?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Stoat posted:

Can 3ds and PSP users play together?

No, especially since there isn't a PSP version.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know I should just get on with my life but I'm still trying to improve my speed at killing Qurupeco because he's such an rear end in a top hat. I'm at just under five minutes with longsword, but just over ten with the hammer, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm aiming for the head as much as possible, is Qurupeco just especially hard to nail there compared to other monsters and I shouldn't worry about it?

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I'm still at just after the first Qurupeco hunt and I'm still wearing the full Great Jaggi blademaster armor. When should I be considering getting a more defensive set? Or should I be thinking more about skills than numeric statistics?

I've taken a shine to the Wroggi armor set. It has the 5 slots for gemming in perception; poison resistance for Rathian, Rathalos and Gigginox; and razor sharp to save you having to continually sharpen your weapon. Great Wroggi also moves very similarly to Great Jaggi so you can kill and carve him pretty quickly once you reach him. And finally the armor looks great in my opinion (this should probably be the first point).

I just keep leveling up armor as I mine the spheres to do so.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

I know I should just get on with my life but I'm still trying to improve my speed at killing Qurupeco because he's such an rear end in a top hat. I'm at just under five minutes with longsword, but just over ten with the hammer, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm aiming for the head as much as possible, is Qurupeco just especially hard to nail there compared to other monsters and I shouldn't worry about it?

There's different damage ratios and areas for blunt and edged weapons. If you're hitting it with the hammer in the same places as the sword it's not doing the same amount of damage. When you get a high enough weapon it won't matter, I've gone back and killed the first Qurupeco with a maxed out slime weapon and he was dead in under 2 minutes.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

cytoc posted:

I've taken a shine to the Wroggi armor set. It has the 5 slots for gemming in perception; poison resistance for Rathian, Rathalos and Gigginox; and razor sharp to save you having to continually sharpen your weapon. Great Wroggi also moves very similarly to Great Jaggi so you can kill and carve him pretty quickly once you reach him. And finally the armor looks great in my opinion (this should probably be the first point).

Wroggi is definitely legit all the way through low rank. Tops out at, what, 160 defense with green spheres? I've been using that with a Health +6 talisman and five gems to bump it to Health +50. Probably not the most useful thing you could gem in, but it's nice not having to worry about ingredient levels at the chef.

I'm a quest or two out from Ceadeus, but nothing so far has really been doing much damage with that setup.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ludroth all the way through Low Rank. Except Agnaktor. I got a +9 whim talisman early on so running around with lowered stamina expenditure, no need for oxygen, no worrying about areas being too hot and less breakage for pickaxes and nets. The stamina especially spoiled me when I changed out for Rath armor to finish off HR2 and I kept running out despite having a max bar.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

cytoc posted:

I've used Wroggi for basically all of HR. I started on other sets (Volvi, Duram) but never finished them. Makes the few monsters that can poison a non-issue. Make Wroggi armor then go make Purple Ludroth/Gigginox/Rathian sets.

Having said that, I just opened 9-star Moga quests, so Nargacuga's open to me. So I'm gonna hafta stop what I'm doing and make its armor and maybe a couple weapons. I friggin' love Cuga. It's super dumb since I'm bad with a lot of fast monsters (Dios, Zinogre) but I enjoy fighting Nargacuga. Part of it's that its movements are really easy to see coming, since it's more old-guard. Part of it's that I really like its eye shine when it's angry. :3:

There a term for that? When glowing eyes or whatever leave a trail when their owner moves around?

Deviljho has to be soon, and that terrifies me. I don't care how bad I am with shielded weapons, I'm not going into that fight with a Hammer or Dual Swords. I'd rather take the time to make a Dios Lance to save me some suffering. The worst part is, I have seen Savagejho and I cannot even imagine fighting that thing alone.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The trick with Deviljho is to be as aggressive as possible. He punishes cowardice.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Get between his legs and stick there, only move from that position when he's stomping, hipchecking, or when you're trying to cut his tail or break his face. It's the safest spot to be and it's also his / near his weak spot.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are there any good paper guides to MH3(U?) out there I can read while I'm bored? I realize google/the wiki/maybe the Bradygames PDF is generally a better resource, but while I have lots of downtime some days at work, what I don't have is ready Internet access. :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 2, 2013

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
There's the Bradygames guide but it's only available as a .pdf, and the information in it might be suspect at times. Also only legally available in the USA.

e: Then nope, which is a shame :( There's the original japanese guide, but... you'd have to learn japanese to understand it.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 2, 2013

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

So Zinogre's a chore to fight. Like Brachydios, he's a fast monster in a game not designed around fast monster fights. Also like Dios, if you don't have a weapon with a shield, you'd better be ready to get dizzied constantly and lose all your potions.

Think I actually dislike Zinogre more than Dios, because as far as I can tell, Zinogre doesn't have any goddamn tells whatsoever. He just does moves at random with no warning signs. Also, unsure of how to stop him charging up. He literally spent almost the entire 15+ minute battle super-powered. Dual Blades, even Slime Dual Blades, do not do enough damage to interrupt it, if it even can be.

How do I make this fight anything other than a pain in the rear end?

This hasn't been my experience with Zin whatsoever. To me, his attacks are all blatantly choreographed, almost like he's supposed to be a fast monster but stuck in slow motion - even at Grank. I think the problem you're having might be that you're expecting his tells to be like the other monsters you've fought before, which they very much aren't since he's the only "Fanged Wyvern" and doesn't have any close relatives (you'll notice most Brute Wyverns share more than a few attacks).

When he's charging up, getting a flinch will absolutely interrupt it. But like any flinch, try to be mindful of where you're hitting it. If you aim for a spot that hasn't been broken yet, like his claws or horns, you're more likely to flinch him by getting that break. This might also not be a bad time to go for a KO if you're using a hammer or hunting horn. If you don't feel comfortable with that, trying to cut his tail is another good idea due to the fact that the tip of his tail isn't in the radius of his end-of-charge-lightning-shitstorm. Either way you play it, this is a lot of free hits that you don't often get with other monsters - especially if your flinching knocks him over a couple times. When he IS all charged up, he'll do his claw slam attack 3 times instead of 2, so count your dodge rolls and then strike back immediately afterwards for some more easy hits.

If all else fails, just hang back and do some dodging for a while until you feel confident enough to attack. If you're not even seeing his tells, odds are you're focusing too much on just dealing damage, which is a super easy mistake to make. Just keep at it - once you get the hang of things, it's one of the more fun fights in the game.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have the lance with sleep on it but it seems not so good
I havent been able to put anything to sleep with it. Every 3 or so hit has a puff of smoke on it, but I have killed all the bosses before putting them to sleep. Is there a trick to it?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The guide claims there is a Morph Slash move for the switch axe that does damage, although it just says you press R which is a slow transform. Gamefaqs says R after side slash but I can't get this to work.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

With the Switch Axe, the morph slash is R + X + A all at the same time when your weapon is stowed. (Or hold R and press X + A I guess)

If you attack with X while pressing the directional pad towards the monster, after the first slash you can press R to morph slash on the second hit.

The Switch Axe has been pretty amazing for me so far, I like that it feels like a Greatsword, but I don't knock my fellow Hunters around, and it has some cool animations like a Gun Lance.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 2, 2013

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
A word about Hallowed Jhen Mohran: to unlock the quest yourself, you'll need to cap one of each capturable monster (this includes Lucent Nargacuga!!) and kill every elder dragon (except him of course) and this includes the VILLAGE ALATREON (until they add the G Rank event, I want to say), which itself require every village quest cleared (until the event comes out) . You can of course join someone who already has the quest unlocked, however you cannot post it yourself! Abyssal Lagiacrus isn't required since he isnt cappable.

also gently caress alatreon that dude aint cool

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 2, 2013

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Theswarms posted:

If I'm using a slime bow and I get the slime coating armour skill, will the slime coatings stack with the bows natural slime effect or is that a waste?

I posted this a few pages ago, does anyone know the answer?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Theswarms posted:

I posted this a few pages ago, does anyone know the answer?

From what I understand of how bows work, a slime bow doesn't naturally have a slime effect. It just lets you apply slime coating to your shots. Which is also what the slime coating skill would let you do, so yeah it is a waste.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

From what I understand of how bows work, a slime bow doesn't naturally have a slime effect. It just lets you apply slime coating to your shots. Which is also what the slime coating skill would let you do, so yeah it is a waste.

Nah, the slime bows (As in the Brachydios bow, or bows that get slime with awakening) don't use coatings for the slime effect, its just there. I guess the coating would guarantee every shot slimed, but what I'd like to know is can I get the slime coating slime and the random slime from the bow at the same time? Or will one just overwrite the other?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Can you buy the BradyGames guide from outside the USA?
I want a better source than the Monster Hunter wiki and it seems that the eGuide is the best solution.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Has anyone found a good quest for farming Shining Charms? I just got into High Rank and I'd like to try looking for a semi-decent charm to tie me over until I get to Timeworn ones in G-rank.

Also man do Lances feel gimped now after coming from Tri. They feel a lot heavier when doing side/back steps, not sure if evasion+1 lancing is still a thing in this game but I kind of hope so.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Bows can have built in status/element. Putting a coating on will overwrite this element.

Slime C+ adds the ability to use slime coating to any bow you use. If the bow already can use slime coating, the ability is useless.

* UP skills increase damages of shots/bullets. Normal(rapid for bows) and Pierce gain 10%, Pellet(spread or bows) gains 30% and Bombboost increases slime explosion damage by 30%.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Speedboat Jones posted:

Make somebody mad by saying that Dark Souls is for casuals because it has a lock on. :can:

At least Dark Souls weapons don't take thirteen years to swing like most of the weapons in Monster Hunter :colbert:

(I love both but seriously I can't play MH with anything other than Dual Blades.)

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Machai posted:

Bows can have built in status/element. Putting a coating on will overwrite this element.

Slime C+ adds the ability to use slime coating to any bow you use. If the bow already can use slime coating, the ability is useless.

* UP skills increase damages of shots/bullets. Normal(rapid for bows) and Pierce gain 10%, Pellet(spread or bows) gains 30% and Bombboost increases slime explosion damage by 30%.

This would be why I don't use bows, I'm too lazy to mess with all that poo poo.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Office Thug posted:

Has anyone found a good quest for farming Shining Charms? I just got into High Rank and I'd like to try looking for a semi-decent charm to tie me over until I get to Timeworn ones in G-rank.

Hi rank volcano can drop timeworn charms. In MP at least.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

scissorman posted:

I want a better source than the Monster Hunter wiki and it seems that the eGuide is the best solution.

The Brady guide is so much worse than the wikis. Don't bother.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...
How you figure? It's digital and all you have to do is ctrl-F for information on certain monsters or carves or where to find what. I'd say it's not a bad travelers guide. Trouble with the wikis is they have information from previous versions that might not be entirely up to date.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

scissorman posted:

The only reason I've used the BradyGames guide is that I got it for free. It's...not entirely useless, I guess? But it's kinda minimal, and doesn't show you the actual weapon trees.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The BradyGames guide is almost totally beaten by the wiki. The wiki has far more information for monsters and puts weapons in an easy to read and useful upgrade tree, the guide puts weapons in an unhelpful 200 page list. The guide is better for armor information but that's not a big deal as you can check them all out ingame as you unlock them.

The wiki has detailed information on monsters attacks, capture tells, their elements and weaknesses. That is all absent from the guide.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 2, 2013

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
The main thing I want is a good way to look up materials.
The wiki just doesn't give me very good results.
For example I need 5 Monster Bone L to upgrade my greatsword; using the wiki's search I get an article on MHFU and a whole lot of stuff with bone in the title.
I now know that it's a quest reward against Barroth and Rathian but I had to search on the gamefaqs forum to find that information.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Also, stuff like not being able to get Rathian Spikes from capturing.

EDIT: I mean having to look up guides in general, not wiki as opposed to GameFAQs or anything like that.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
A lot of the info is flat out wrong/missing. If you're that desperate, ask in the IRC.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Machai posted:

Wait, are you saying if I use any coating, I lose my status/element from the bow itself?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The 3DS > Wii U data transfer thing is a better feature than I expected. I can chuck my save onto the 3DS and do menial quests and farming and poo poo while on public transit to work, or breaks, and save all the pain in the rear end monster fights that'd be agonizing on a portable, on the proper console. This is already proving to be a way better experience than the PSP versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Theswarms posted:

Wait, are you saying if I use any coating, I lose my status/element from the bow itself?

Yes. But only while a coating is applied.

• Locked thread