Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrmeleo
Jan 27, 2010

If only I had Earth Power...
Yeah okay. I was trying to purchase DLC for a game in the 3DS ($2.50) so I used the "pay with credit card" and just add the necessary funds. But everytime I try doing that, it spits out an error that my expiration date is incorrect. I thought it was just me, but I then I used the card to get something on steam with no problem, and then back on buying DLC still gives me the same error.

Is adding needed funds on the DLC menu just bugged or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why cant you just go buy the cards? They work on both the 3DS and WiiU eShops, and the Wii Shop Channel (I think).

That would require finding places that sell them! And they would be in BRL, and wouldn't work in the eShop with reasonable prices.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Myrmeleo posted:

Yeah okay. I was trying to purchase DLC for a game in the 3DS ($2.50) so I used the "pay with credit card" and just add the necessary funds. But everytime I try doing that, it spits out an error that my expiration date is incorrect. I thought it was just me, but I then I used the card to get something on steam with no problem, and then back on buying DLC still gives me the same error.

Worked just fine for me several times month.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Myrmeleo posted:

I had a similar issue come up, and the solution was to change my region to Canada, then change back to my actual location.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I had the eShop tell me my zip code was wrong on one of my cards. I just use a different card for eShop purchases now, but still weird/annoying.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Droid Washington posted:

Yeah I had the eShop tell me my zip code was wrong on one of my cards. I just use a different card for eShop purchases now, but still weird/annoying.

Yep, that's what my problem was. I think one of the system updates accidentally messed things up or something at some point, because that exact problem seemed to be fairly common back when it hit me.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Myrmeleo posted:

Happened to me last night as well.

Myrmeleo
Jan 27, 2010

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Yep, that's what my problem was. I think one of the system updates accidentally messed things up or something at some point, because that exact problem seemed to be fairly common back when it hit me.

Yeah I don't know. I tried changing the region via eShop, and now it just spits error codes for whatever credit card after a minute of loading.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

The same thing happened to me last night as well, with it telling me my card was expired, but on the Wii U eshop. I'll try changing my region and then changing it back after work tonight I guess.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

New American release content announced for Animal Crossing: New Leaf

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

It's almost believable.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Hmm, I keep getting errors 005-6510 and 005-6509 when I try to Luigi's Mansion from the eShop. The internet is useless and Nintendo's website says to turn the system off and try again. Any ideas?

edit: ughh nevermind, apparently spending $6.50 on something in Fire Emblem and trying again worked for some dumbass reason.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 1, 2013

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's certainly better than Ridge Racer Vita, aka DLC: The Game. Thanks, Scamco Bandai!

But yeah, solid fun. I wish I knew anyone nearby who owned it as I'd like to try multiplayer.
My friend bought it too since it was so cheap, you're not missing anything special with the multiplayer. You can't race with bot drivers so it's pretty dull, you can at least gamble unlock points on the outcome.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

.TakaM posted:

My friend bought it too since it was so cheap, you're not missing anything special with the multiplayer. You can't race with bot drivers so it's pretty dull, you can at least gamble unlock points on the outcome.

Hah, well I won't lose any sleep over it, then.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Badly Jester posted:

As someone who's honestly wondering how the gently caress they could mess this poo poo up so bad, I would really like an explanation as to how the addition of a single letter in prompted text could have these repercussions. And I'm not saying that just to be a dick; I really would like to know.

If they know what they're doing, it's pretty much impossible to gently caress up that way, as anything necessary for change in a localization is either going to be text strings or images with baked-on text. If the person doing it is a lazy piece of poo poo and opens the source code and replaces all instances of "color" with "colour," things can and will go very wrong very fast, as explained in zolthorg's example.

In this particular case, that wouldn't cause the types of errors we're seeing. It would either A) Refuse to compile, and therefor never possibly make it to market that way, or B) Compile fine and spit a runtime error that causes the game to crash, which would never be picked up by the dev team because, as we've established, they're pretty bad at playtesting.

The assumption I'm making here is that, rather than (or perhaps on top of) this specific kind of general failure, other similar errors were made. For example, the first and last name variables being swapped. As much as people keep wondering how this is possible, without seeing how the game's code is structured, we don't know how simple a mistake that is. It could be the difference between inputting a string as "My name is %secondname %firstname." instead of "My name is %firstname %secondname." Or it could be a case of storing the values in the wrong variables. As others have pointed out, this would all seem correct in the game's native Japanese. Given what we've seen out of this team I'd not be surprised if they, for some reason, started with the Japanese version and attempted to do a paste-job of the NA localization's text prompts on top of it, which would cause this exact issue and potentially cause problems with variable names which would create runtime errors and crashes.

Again, I'm absolutely not defending Ghostlight here, just pointing out that these issues are probably simpler in their cause than most people assume.

Myrmeleo
Jan 27, 2010

Adding funds finally went through for me. I hope its cleared up for everyone else too. Yeesh, what a pain.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Myrmeleo posted:

Adding funds finally went through for me. I hope its cleared up for everyone else too. Yeesh, what a pain.

Oh you were having issues too? Was it a widespread issue?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Louisgod posted:

Oh you were having issues too? Was it a widespread issue?

Just the last day or so itt people reported problems. On guy in wiiu eshop too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Capcom Japan just announced a new game called "Gaist Crusher", out "winter 2013" in Japan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFe7Lp7qpo

Aimed at Japanese elementary school children, planned as the start of a big cross-media franchise, blah blah. I'm guessing the rest of the world won't ever see it, so whatever.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I watched it for way too long waiting for the joke.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
SMT4 officially announced by Atlus USA, out in NA "this summer":

quote:

Shin Megami Tensei Returns

The Mature-themed Role Playing Game Franchise Is Back After a Decade With
Shin Megami Tensei IV

IRVINE, Calif. – April 2, 2013 – It’s been nearly ten years since the last chapter closed in the original Shin Megami Tensei® role playing game (RPG) series, but the long wait is nearly over. Developed by the award-winning ATLUS team, Shin Megami Tensei IV (SMTIV) features powerful new demons, expansive dungeons, epic story arcs with branching plot lines, game-altering decision making, and more. Built specifically for the Nintendo 3DS™ system with optimized graphics, 3-D dungeons, voiced dialogue, and StreetPass functionality, SMTIV will be a premium title available this summer.

Building on the styles of ATLUS’ Persona, Devil Summoner, and Devil Survivor titles, SMTIV is the first true successor to 2004’s Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. The story of SMTIV revolves around the Samurai, the sacred protectors of the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado. As a newly appointed Samurai, players will struggle with factions that have nefarious designs on the world as they defend their home kingdom from a growing army of demons. Decisions players make throughout the course of the story will have lasting repercussions, as the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

Shin Megami Tensei IV blends familiar features from previous SMT games with all-new features that take advantage of the Nintendo 3DS system, including:
A World to Discover, A Mystery to Uncover – The life of a Samurai is fraught with peril. Players must leave the safety of the kingdom in order to defend it from the invading demons. There the story unfolds as they become involved in a fierce battle between God and demons.
Demon Collection and Fusion – The core mechanic of the Shin Megami Tensei series returns with more than 400 demons to recruit, collect, and fuse together. Players will constantly be challenged with balancing the strengths of their demons to ultimately excel in battle.
Choices and Consequences – Throughout the player’s journey, they must choose their own path. The choices will affect them, other NPCs, and the overall outcome of the story. Branching story paths require careful consideration since the fates of the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado and the rest of the world hang in the balance.
Pressing the Combat Advantage – The Press Turn system requires strategic thinking for every battle. Pinpointing an enemy’s weakness will provide a vital extra turn for players to exploit. But there are dangers as well…reckless attacks against demons cause players to lose their turns and give the enemy an opening to strike back.

“The return of the legendary Shin Megami Tensei series is one of the biggest milestones yet for ATLUS and the 3DS,” said Naoto Hiraoka, president and chief executive officer, Index Digital Media, Inc. “Since this is the first title from the original SMT series in a decade, we tapped the best developers from many of ATLUS’ acclaimed projects including Nocturne, Strange Journey, Persona, and Soul Hackers to create a premium experience that lives up to our fans’ and our own expectations.”

Shin Megami Tensei IV will be exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS system and sold as a premium title beginning this summer. The game is expected to receive an M rating from the ESRB, but is not yet rated. More details will be revealed in the future, with updates on the official SMTIV website at http://www.atlus.com/smt4.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I can't wait to play a bugged-the-gently caress-out version of the game in two years time.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sweet! I hope they bring that SMT4 3DS XL overseas, I don't think I'd be able to resist at that point.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hmm, just noticed this part:

quote:

Shin Megami Tensei IV will be exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS system and sold as a premium title beginning this summer

I guess they're gonna jack up the price for no reason? Hooray!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Hmm, just noticed this part:

I guess they're gonna jack up the price for no reason? Hooray!

No, you see, the extra ten bucks is to deliver a premium experience. Just ask Naoto Hiraoka.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I bought some low-cost 3DS games from eShop:

* Pix3D: avoid. It's well programmed but otherwise it's a pointless piece of software that should stay on cellphones. Avoid.
* Rising Board: nice "infinite runnner" with some freedom, tricks and shop game.
* Splash or Crash / Kersploosh / Hyu Stone: it's one of those games where you do time attacks in some set courses choosing different vehicles. Gorgeous graphics.

I still need to study Family Tennis a bit more, but even if it looks basic, I think I like its gameplay (it's not too different from Everybody's Tennis).

While we are at it: about Code of Princess: if I remember some reviewers criticized it being slow. I think the speed of the game is deliberate, since the levels are small, there are not so many controls/combos available and the structure of the game is based on how fast you solve levels with which characters (and you can replay every mission in campaign mode), so, unless the following levels get longer and longer, it's more a mix between a beat-em-up and a puzzler than a standard scrolling fighting game. It seems a bit low on FPS though. Of course the game is "anime as gently caress" as advertised by the chick in chainmail bikini and by the bard with a keytar.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I can't wait to play a bugged-the-gently caress-out version of the game in two years time.

Doorstops have feelings, you know?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

If that competition Ghostlight hosted a few months ago is any indication, Europe won't be seeing this until 2015 the earliest. poo poo sux.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

With some luck, word gets out about everything Ghostlight has managed to screw up in these last two years and Atlus won't let them license anything else ever again. Then NISA steps in and we get the goods just like the rest of the world does -- on time and properly.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Haha, you think we're getting this at all. That's adorable.
:smith:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hahaha like we're ever getting even a busted-rear end version of it!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, well, I'm a dreamer.

:smithicide:

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I noticed that Agatsuma self-published Code of Princess as a download only in Europe. Is there any reason why Atlus can't do the same?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Their whole "What's a Europe?" thing might have something to do with it. Also I want a physical release. I'll take digital if I have to, but..

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
It is interesting how games like Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory are on Australian shelves before it was even released in NA and the Atlus games struggle so make it over.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
Just about to complete an online survey for Luigi's Mansion 2, but I need some suggestions for this bit:

Balcony fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 2, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Luigi: Better, Than, Bro
Mario: Not, As, Cool

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Mario: Super Hero Plumber

Luigi: The Other One

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Lugi: Crazy Sexy Cool
Mario: Bigger Than Jesus

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cross post from SMT thread, but relavant:

If any of you bought into the $29.99 Soul Hackers sale last month, be sure to check your e-mail. Fry's is sending out notices that they are going to cancel orders because it is not in stock yet. All you have to do is respond saying you still want the order. From the email I got back, they apparently have no way to mark things a preorder in their system.

Thank goodness I held of on getting a 3DS XL during last week's sale. I'll be sure to preorder the SMT one. Which I'll probably end up playing Pokemon on more than SMT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Luigi: Sorry, Mario, princess
Mario: is in, another, castle

• Locked thread