Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

TurnipFritter posted:

Famitsu says that the new scenario in Break Record has roughly the same amount of content as a full fledged RPG. It doesn't look like there are any in-battle screenshots in the article, so I wonder what they're hiding...

But wait, weren't Devil Survivor and Devil Survivor 2 like full fledged RPGs? Like I didn't play through all of them because I couldn't get into the plots all that well, but from what I saw it looked like they were going to go on for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
They are. It looks like the 3DS version of DS2 has an entire additional campaign that is, on its own, the length of a full RPG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They said the same thing about the 8th Days in Overclocked and they ended up being like slightly-longer-than-normal days at best.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

DeathBySpoon posted:

They are. It looks like the 3DS version of DS2 has an entire additional campaign that is, on its own, the length of a full RPG.
I don't know, that sounds like commercial suicide unless they really think they can ride the Devil Survivor 2 anime gravy train. I'm banking on another "8th day" reoccurence.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuhqrKNAmaY

The SMT4 website was updated with videos for Gaby, Hugo and K, and someone posted them to Youtube. K's clip (at the end of the video) is the only one that's particularly interesting because you can see how they're trying to make the talking heads seem dynamic.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

So after countless delays, the european Devil Survivor Overclocked was finally released, only to be plagued with bugs.

How do you do that? Isn't it a straight port of the american version? Where were the game testers? Ugh...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Petiso posted:

So after countless delays, the european Devil Survivor Overclocked was finally released, only to be plagued with bugs.

How do you do that? Isn't it a straight port of the american version? Where were the game testers? Ugh...

Huh. Is that why I couldn't find it in any shops when I was looking for it yesterday? Bravo, Ghostlight, bravo.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

CottonWolf posted:

Huh. Is that why I couldn't find it in any shops when I was looking for it yesterday? Bravo, Ghostlight, bravo.

More likely that it sold out quickly due to being an Atlus game. A day after release prices online were already soaring.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Saigyouji posted:

More likely that it sold out quickly due to being an Atlus game. A day after release prices online were already soaring.

Possibly that too. Either way, seeing that blog post I'm pretty happy I couldn't get hold of a copy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Petiso posted:

Oh man, that sucks. I mean, yeah the American version had this thing where it would close the game and boot you back to the 3DS Home Menu if you grabbed some memory sticks with the wireless ON, but that was about it and it was in no way a game-breaking bug.

How do you screw over something that, while not perfect, was very functional? :negative:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

Shin Megami Tensei Returns

The Mature-themed Role Playing Game Franchise Is Back After a Decade With
Shin Megami Tensei IV

IRVINE, Calif. – April 2, 2013 – It’s been nearly ten years since the last chapter closed in the original Shin Megami Tensei® role playing game (RPG) series, but the long wait is nearly over. Developed by the award-winning ATLUS team, Shin Megami Tensei IV (SMTIV) features powerful new demons, expansive dungeons, epic story arcs with branching plot lines, game-altering decision making, and more. Built specifically for the Nintendo 3DS™ system with optimized graphics, 3-D dungeons, voiced dialogue, and StreetPass functionality, SMTIV will be a premium title available this summer.

Building on the styles of ATLUS’ Persona, Devil Summoner, and Devil Survivor titles, SMTIV is the first true successor to 2004’s Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. The story of SMTIV revolves around the Samurai, the sacred protectors of the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado. As a newly appointed Samurai, players will struggle with factions that have nefarious designs on the world as they defend their home kingdom from a growing army of demons. Decisions players make throughout the course of the story will have lasting repercussions, as the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

Shin Megami Tensei IV blends familiar features from previous SMT games with all-new features that take advantage of the Nintendo 3DS system, including:
  • A World to Discover, A Mystery to Uncover – The life of a Samurai is fraught with peril. Players must leave the safety of the kingdom in order to defend it from the invading demons. There the story unfolds as they become involved in a fierce battle between God and demons.
  • Demon Collection and Fusion – The core mechanic of the Shin Megami Tensei series returns with more than 400 demons to recruit, collect, and fuse together. Players will constantly be challenged with balancing the strengths of their demons to ultimately excel in battle.
  • Choices and Consequences – Throughout the player’s journey, they must choose their own path. The choices will affect them, other NPCs, and the overall outcome of the story. Branching story paths require careful consideration since the fates of the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado and the rest of the world hang in the balance.
  • Pressing the Combat Advantage – The Press Turn system requires strategic thinking for every battle. Pinpointing an enemy’s weakness will provide a vital extra turn for players to exploit. But there are dangers as well…reckless attacks against demons cause players to lose their turns and give the enemy an opening to strike back.

“The return of the legendary Shin Megami Tensei series is one of the biggest milestones yet for ATLUS and the 3DS,” said Naoto Hiraoka, president and chief executive officer, Index Digital Media, Inc. “Since this is the first title from the original SMT series in a decade, we tapped the best developers from many of ATLUS’ acclaimed projects including Nocturne, Strange Journey, Persona, and Soul Hackers to create a premium experience that lives up to our fans’ and our own expectations.”

Shin Megami Tensei IV will be exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS system and sold as a premium title beginning this summer. The game is expected to receive an M rating from the ESRB, but is not yet rated. More details will be revealed in the future, with updates on the official SMTIV website at http://www.atlus.com/smt4.

A summer release date is a welcome surprise. Maybe there's even hope for EU goons to get a version before 2015.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

A summer release date is a welcome surprise. Maybe there's even hope for EU goons to get a version before 2015.

Wow that's COMPLETELY unexpected, I was hoping for 2014. Atlus shoulda waited a bit because I was going to buy Etrian Odyssey 4 after finishing up with Fire Emblem but now I'm probably gonna wait for this :shobon:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Wow, that fast? :aaaaa: How long do Atlus translations typically take?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Maybe Atlus is taking a page from Gamefreak on short-cutting the translation process.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TurnipFritter posted:

Maybe there's even hope for EU goons to get a version before 2015.

:negative: without gamebreaking bugs hopefully.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Booky posted:

Wow, that fast? :aaaaa: How long do Atlus translations typically take?

Around nine months or so. This is crazy fast.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
I cannot display how hype I am. I mean this is loving insane. Atlus you (almost) never fail.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Presumably the American side of the company got the green light to begin localization earlier in the process than usual because it's a flagship release for Atlus. I remember Persona 4 came out like 5 months after the Japanese release, and considering how much text and voice is in that game that's a pretty quick localization too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Around nine months or so. This is crazy fast.

Yeah usually the game is already done by the time the translation team even starts. The JP release date is end of May so this is anywhere from 1-4 months depending on what "Summer" means, including both text translation and re-doing the voice acting. They must have been working on it alongside Atlus JP which is a good sign.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm going to toss out an August estimate. Just because June and July are a barren wasteland for retail sales, I doubt Atlus would release what may be their biggest game of the year at any time during the summer other than August. Probably the second half of August.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
The PR notes that it will be a "premium title," so that either means nothing, or it means that it will cost more than typical 3DS retail titles.

Even if that is the case, I'll still pay for it since it's coming out so quickly; I was personally expecting a Q1 2014 release for the game, not for them to pull a GameFreak (and Square Enix when it is actually motivated to expedite localization).

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Petiso posted:

This is kinda funny. I wonder how buggy P4 Arena will turn out to be..

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Aaaaa it's really happening :syoon:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah usually the game is already done by the time the translation team even starts. The JP release date is end of May so this is anywhere from 1-4 months depending on what "Summer" means, including both text translation and re-doing the voice acting. They must have been working on it alongside Atlus JP which is a good sign.

Nintendo mentioned they wanted to speed up the localization process for games coming to the West so maybe...JUST MAYBE, this is proof they're really serious about that.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
On a related note: If any of you bought into the $29.99 soul hackers sale last month, be sure to check your e-mail. Fry's is sending out notices that they are going to cancel orders because it is not in stock yet. All you have to do is respond saying you still want the order. From the email I got back, they apparently have no way to mark things a preorder in their system.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I still hope they bring over that SMT4 XL bundle. It's the only way I see me buying a XL.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dehry posted:

On a related note: If any of you bought into the $29.99 soul hackers sale last month, be sure to check your e-mail. Fry's is sending out notices that they are going to cancel orders because it is not in stock yet. All you have to do is respond saying you still want the order. From the email I got back, they apparently have no way to mark things a preorder in their system.

Did you get a generic response that the order will still go through? It's such a weird hodge podge system that I'm almost tempted to just buy through someone who has their poo poo together (Amazon), but I don't even know if it's still going to go through.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

Did you get a generic response that the order will still go through? It's such a weird hodge podge system that I'm almost tempted to just buy through someone who has their poo poo together (Amazon), but I don't even know if it's still going to go through.

I wouldn't worry too much. They're a big name electronics store and not a fly by night company.

My email seemed like a canned response, but I will take that over a "Your order will be cancelled soon unless you respond" email.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Videogames Plus (linked from the SMT4 site) lists the price as 49.99 and the release date as July 16, 2013.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Videogames Plus (linked from the SMT4 site) lists the price as 49.99

Oh boy, this is an unwelcome trend.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

fount of knowledge posted:

If an extra $10 gets me SMT IV 6+ months before I thought I was getting it, that's A-OK with me.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

fount of knowledge posted:

It's still a lot cheaper than what we have to pay for games here in Norway, PLUS you actually GET the games, PLUS they are a lot less likely to feature ridiculous bugs.

Gotta keep things in perspective! :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

gameday posted:

If an extra $10 gets me SMT IV 6+ months before I thought I was getting it, that's A-OK with me.

I want that to be the "Make fun of Europe" fee. We pay $10 for me to get to lord it over those people.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

gameday posted:

I'm pretty sure they're doing that to cover voiceover costs. My guess is that it's got a lot more voiceovers than both Soulhackers and DeSur with high quality actors for a niche game. The only problem is that they're gonna also have to expect less sales, seeing how this is now one the most expensive game on the system. Regardless, I'm going to buy it anyway, but it's a really risky move.

But yeah, I'm totally surprised this came out so quick. I would've expected this from Persona being how popular that series is now due to the media blitz. I was thinking it would come out either October or January. What's next simultaneous release date for JP/NA on P5? I hope so.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

gently caress yes!

I thought it would come this fall at the earliest but I can totally get used to getting SMT games 2 months after japan.

[e] What if everybody got persona 5 at the same time?

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 2, 2013

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

DrManiac posted:

[e] What if everybody got persona 5 at the same time?

Read 'everybody' as 'everybody not European'.

EDIT: Or if you were including us Europeans in that, I put the chances at basically nil.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Proto Cloud posted:

I'm pretty sure they're doing that to cover voiceover costs. My guess is that it's got a lot more voiceovers than both Soulhackers and DeSur with high quality actors for a niche game. The only problem is that they're gonna also have to expect less sales, seeing how this is now one the most expensive game on the system. Regardless, I'm going to buy it anyway, but it's a really risky move.

But yeah, I'm totally surprised this came out so quick. I would've expected this from Persona being how popular that series is now due to the media blitz. I was thinking it would come out either October or January. What's next simultaneous release date for JP/NA on P5? I hope so.

Persona 4 Golden was $40 :/

I mean I'll pay $50 for this but not for like, DS2.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Persona 4 Golden was $40 :/

I mean I'll pay $50 for this but not for like, DS2.

To be fair most of the VO stuff for golden was already done, and I don't imagine DS 2 to have as much text as a main line SMT game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

DrManiac posted:

To be fair most of the VO stuff for golden was already done, and I don't imagine DS 2 to have as much text as a main line SMT game.

I think DeSu2 has more text than DeSu1 and DeSu: Overclocked had more voiced lines than P4 did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I am so happy that we are getting SMTIV a lot sooner than I expected. I just rechecked the main site and they updated with places to purchase online in America. Release date on those says July 16th. I was thinking it was going to be at least late August. Still bummed about the extra $10 but whatever I forgive Atlus this one time.

edit:

Links:
Amazon
Gamestop